• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who will you be maining and why?

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I'm maining Mario, always have. I will also main Mega Man. These 2 are my favorite gaming characters. I will also sub Luigi, Pit, Little Mac, and Bowser.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I just useally picks a character I am feeling at the moment, also I pick a different character each time keeps things fresh.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Little Mac. He fits my berserker playstyle perfectly.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
If Andy is in the game, then no matter how awkwardly he plays I will do what I can to make him work. Why? He's got my name.

Based on who we have now, though, I'm most interested in trying out Villager and Little Mac, with good ol' Kirby on veteran standby. Villager because of how quirky his play style looks, Mac because his brutal ground game looks brutal.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Rosalina:Favorite female Mario character and her playstyle interests me.

Toon Link:I mained him in brawl and he still looks good

Lucario:Mained him in brawl

WFT:She looks really fun to play as

Pit:I love his moveset changes

But in the end I'll probably end up playing as all the characters anyway!

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
It'll depend on how much the characters are updated and such. I might main Shulk if he is playable.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Primary-
:mario2: Mario: My balanced All-Star character, who I have mained since Brawl
:bowser2: Bowser: An excellent powerhouse who will get the necessary buffs in SSB4
:pit: Pit: I seriously plan to use the duck out of his KI:U moveset
:rosalina: Rosalina: A double character whos defense tactics will revolve around her success in battle
Wii Fit Trainer: Seems to be another balanced character, who has a unique moveset
:dedede: Dedede: My second power player, who has a nice flying ability
:yoshimelee: Yoshi: One of my best characters in every Super Smash Bros
Secondary-
Little Mac: Excellent Super Armor, as well as speed, but also to test him out
Villager: A nice gadget character who I can accustom to
:peach: Peach: Her floating powers, along with her chain of attacks can be pretty fun
:link2: Link: His gadgets allow for some solid long range play, and his sword covers the close range
:dk2: Donkey Kong: Another powerhouse who has speed, and I wish to use

Last edited:

xiledx

Smash Rookie
I'll probably main Rosalina, Toon Link, Mega Man, and I'll try to main Little Mac if I can stop jumping every second I get.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I usually play what character I get the feels for. For Brawl, this was Lucas. For PM, this was Ganon. Although I tried to consult my older mains, I just never had as much fun as when I use the character I'm comfortable with.

With that said, I wanna try Rosalina and Luma, always have liked Galaxy and Rosalina was my 'girl' character choice in MKWii . Other than her, I wanna try out Mac, his looks insanely fun and fast. I also wanna give Sonic another try, I was disappointed from him in Brawl and hope he feels refreshed here. Other than those, I'll give Olimar and Lucas a try for comfort and to see if theyre the same.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
My current signature highlights the ten characters (five Vets, five Newcomers) that I am the most interested in playing in SSB4, for various reasons. It should also be noted that I've always been a fairly casual Smasher by necessity (i.e. lack of people to play with), though I do intend to get into the SSB4 groove (the main reason I joined this forum).

Of those currently revealed:

Luigi
--He's been my main for the past three Smash games. I ended up preferring him in Smash 64, and have used him ever since. Plus he's better than Mario in every conceivable way inside and outside Smash lololololol

Lucario
--I was not familiar with Lucario pre-Brawl. He didn't serve as a fitting "replacement" for Mewtwo (I didn't know about Mewtwo's Brawl situation until much later), but I ended up coming to appreciate Lucario in his own right, so I'm glad he's returned to SSB4.

Olimar
--Olimar was someone I latched onto pretty quick. As a Pikmin fan, I had appreciated his inclusion, and his tactical Pikmin-based playstyle

Wii Fit Trainer
--Of the E3 Newcomers, WFT was the one that intrigued me the most (since I had no personal connection to Mega Man or Villager). Even after Rosalina and Little Mac, she continues to hold that title. Her graceful, agile nature and the novelty of the character and dat Wii Fit Tushy have made her the standout Newcomer thus far.

And as for the remaining to-be-confirmed Veterans and probable Newcomers:

Ganondorf
--As a huge fan of the character, I naturally ended up using him a lot in Melee, and then in Brawl. His mobility and speed were very poor in Brawl. I'm hoping that his mobility/speed is either improved, or that they give him Super Armor to counterbalance his general sluggishness.

Mewtwo
--Other than Luigi and Ganondorf, he was my most-used character in Melee. That was my least-played Smash game, alas, but Mewtwo left an immense impact. His playstyle, design, and pretty much everything else about him appealed to me greatly. His absence from Brawl, therefore, was woeful, and the fact that he's highly probable to return this time around is a prospect that excites me greatly.

King K. Rool
--Of the mainline DK platformers, I've only played DK64 (so I don't have the DKC nostalgia going for me). Even so, I'm a fan of the character, and think he's both the most deserving and most fitting candidate for a DK Newcomer. He has great moveset and playstyle potential, and his zaniness would go well with the hectic universe of Smash.

Ridley
--Much like K Rool, I've only played a small part of the Metroid franchise (namely, the Prime trilogy). Yet Ridley also appeals to me, and for similar reasons as K Rool -- a deserving and fitting Metroid Newcomer with high moveset and playstyle potential.

Takamaru
--I've only learned of the existence of Takamaru in the past six months. I haven't played the original Murasame game, but the prospect of getting a legit Edo-period samurai in Smash is too cool to pass up.

Shulk

--Shulk is in my signature because he basically seems cool, though I haven't played Xenoblade. His inclusion or exclusion is not quite as much a concern compared to the rest. You could swap Shulk out of my signature for any other interesting-to-me Newcomer (Palutena is the most probable candidate out of such a category of Newcomers).

It's conveniently turned out that the characters I want most for SSB4 also happen to be pretty likely, with Mewtwo/K Rool/Ridley/Takamaru especially having very strong cases backing up their probability of inclusion. So it's very likely that I will be very mostly satisfied with the SSB4 roster. 8D

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
None of my previous mains have been revealed yet but I do want to play Mega Man and Little Mac out of the newcomers.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I forgot to mention Megaman
Great moveset as far as creativity, however, Im not sure that Ill get used to the regular attack being a projectile move.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My mains have been pretty consistent with each title, I only ever add characters to my list, never take any away. Unless Snake gets cut, that won't change.
:ness64::kirby64::falcon64:
:nessmelee::gawmelee::kirbymelee::linkmelee::falconmelee:
:ness2::olimar::gw::metaknight::kirby2::dedede::snake::link2::falcon:
Potential new mains include:

Characters from Brawl that I might upgrade to main: :luigi2::samus2::pit::rob::zelda::ganondorf:
Luigi entirely depends on if he gets his Poltergust, and Ganondorf depends on a completely new moveset, I'll add Samus and Pit to my mains if Takamaru gets in, and I'll main R.O.B. if I don't end up liking Mega Man's playstyle. Of course I won't know for sure until I actually play the game and try every character though.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
My mains thus far have been:

Samus - Used her ever since the original due to me being nuts about Metroid, though Brawl unfortunately made her not at satisfying to play as.
Yoshi - My second main ever.
Lucas - Used him a lot in Brawl, really liked his moveset and overall feel more than Ness. I also like Mother 3 more than Earthbound *gasp*
Bowser - My go-to heavy. He's just amazingly satisfying to play as and I think that will only be more true in SSB4 with his speed increase.
Wario - One of my Brawl mains...he's just so damn bonkers and unpredictable that I have a lot of fun with him. Plus he can kill people with farts, and that's hilarious.
Meta Knight - My (and probably everyone's) go-to speedy character from Brawl. He was always fun to play as, despite being overpowered.
Ike - Probably one of the most fun characters to play as, and he comes from a great game as well. If he's back, I will definitely use him again.
Snake - I absolutely love Snake's playstyle and used him a ton in Brawl. Many think he'll get the axe...but I hope not. To have such a fun character with such a unique moveset taken out of the game would be a tragedy and a half.

Mains I used semi-seriously in Brawl: Marth and Diddy Kong. May use them still but they aren't a focus right now.

Newcomers that I plan to main:

Mega Man - I've wanted the Blue Bomber in Smash for a very long time, and it looks like they've really done him justice and made him super unique. I will 100% main him.
Little Mac - Another character who I've wanted for a while, and pretty much the polar opposite of Mega Man. It'll be fun to get used to both of them alongside each other.

Newcomers that I will main IF they end up being in the game:

Ridley - I've wanted him in since Melee. 'Nuff said.
King K. Rool - I feel like he has a lot of moveset potential if they include him. Though I won't lie, it doesn't seem likely he will be playable.
Shulk - Xenoblade is an amazing game and I think the characters are great in it. As such, I will definitely main Shulk if he gets in.
Mike Jones - I love StarTropics and would like to see it get SOME representation...even if there's just a trophy or something I'd be glad, to be honest.

Aaaaand, I'd like to use Mario a lot as well. I've used him lightly in the previous games, but I'd like to incorporate him more.

As you can see, I have a lot of work to do when the game comes out, haha! I'll probably frig around with every character at some point or another, but right now these are the ones I'm planning on focusing on the most.

I'll just try every character and see which one controls the smoothest to me. In past games, it was usually small fries like Ness, Mr. Game & Watch and Olimar. It may be Villager this time.

Apart from G&W in Melee, with whom I fought valiantly, I never really had mains; I tended to switch characters every now and then.

Last edited:

Exor

Smash Cadet
I'll probably decide my main once the game comes out, but if I had to choose right now here's my order.

1. Little Mac - I've waited years. YEARS! He looks so hype!
2. Villager - I love how troll Villager looks and I adore AC, so Villager is going near the top of my list.
3. Mega Man - His potential is so huge. Plus I love pulling off a good meteor and Hard Knuckle looks promising.

also the obligatory Marth and Captain Falcon (once he's confirmed).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I don't know, and no one else should know either. Day one I'm going to give every character a good whirl and work from there.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm waiting to see if Palutena's confirmed and if I like her playstyle (or Takamaru/Shulk) to decide.

I always main a newcomer, but if somehow none of them show up, I guess I can give Rosalina a try and see if I can actually play a pet character in THIS fighting game.

Because literally half of my friends want to main Little Mac (He's the only character one of my friends has EVER really wanted in Smash besides Ike) and I don't enjoy dittos. Alas.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
None of the newcomers are interesting. I'd hate to main an old character. So far Pit is the one I might main but that will likely change when a decent newcomer is revealed.

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Peach, Olimar, and Ice Climbers were my mains in melee/brawl/project M and I'm going to stick with them all if ics come back (crosses fingers)

I'm going to add (and work on them when the game is out)

Villager - Because I absolutely love all of the animal crossing games. Any peaceful games I tend to like.

Rosalina & Luma - I've played and beaten both Super Mario Galaxy games and understand the little backstory Galaxy 1 gives of Rosalina. Overall, I'm picking her up because I enjoy the character herself and the game she came from. I really like how she helped Mario save princess peach.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic. Because I've made the pledge since October 10th, 2007 that Sonic will be my #1 Main in any SSB game that includes him. (Okay not really about the pledge, but considering Sonic is the only character I played as in Brawl+Project M in over 10,000 matches and barely half that with anyone else. I don't see me changing too much from using Sonic the most for SSB4.)

I will try out every character though at least. And definitely finish Classic, Adventure, and All-Star with all characters. I always do.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I tend not to main any singular character. I play all the characters I like. Probably why I'm not super fantabulastic at the game but whatever. **** it! We're doing it live! I'll try all the characters old and new see which ones I like and play them all.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
:olimar: since he is my favorite Nintendo character in general.
:bowser2: For the raw power
and Villager since he just looks fun and I love animal crossing.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just short of him getting hit hard with the nerfing stick, Pit.
And I'm not really interested in the newcomers besides Megaman (and any newcomer not named Zero doesn't interest me), but I don't think he'll be very viable.

...Dunno what I'd do if they both suck...

D

Deleted member

Luigi! He is my favorite video game character of all-time! I instantly main him in every game!

As for other characters... I dunno. I will main Meta Knight again if his nerfs won't make me hate his play style, I might main Pit if I end up liking his changes, and I think that I will Little Mac since he looks rather interesting.

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
I don't know, and no one else should know either. Day one I'm going to give every character a good whirl and work from there.
some people play characters for their feel ,others play them becouse they love the character, i know i will be playing samus again and do my best to make her work.

Last edited:

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Brawl Main: falco PM Main: Mario

While I'll have to wait for all the characters to be shown and the game to come out, I'm thinking fox. I have a good feeling he'll be buffed but not stupidly OP like in melee. But I'll try ALL the characters when the game comes out.

But no matter what I'll play Samus and Mario like I have in every smash game. I know Mario's not going to be nearly as good as he is in PM, but he looks like he's getting some buffs like his down smash. Also he's my favorite video game character.

Oh and Samus is Awesome.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Luigi - Haven't mained him since 64, but he's my favorite video game character of all time. I would love it if he became my MAIN main

Olimar - My Brawl main. I love his play style. It's so fun and it feels effortless even though it requires strategy.

Little Mac - I have a real attachment to Little Mac. We've gone through so much together on our way to the WVBA title in Punch-Out!! Wii.

If they're included:

Pac-Man - Pac-Man is a legend. It would be my honor to main him

Impa

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Sonic. My Brawl/Project M main, all because I enjoy a speedy, hit and run, bait and punish gameplay style. Plus... well Sonic's my favorite game character of all time.

Mega Man as a secondary, because I'm a MASSIVE fan of the classic and X series and ever since the reveal trailer, I've been extremely interested in him.

I also might use Mario a bit, since I tend to do that. Though that'll be out of the picture if we get Roy.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
To be honest I'm pretty sure I won't main anyone. Yep, exactly the opposite answer I gave before, but it's also the same: I will play with all of them. Sure there will be a couple I'll enjoy more than others, but I don't have the time to become really good with them and also I'm not that good to begin with. I always play random on Brawl and I probably will with Sm4sh too once it's out from a while.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Lucario: Brawl main
Villager: He looks fun to play as so I'll give him a shot.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I'll mess around with a few characters because why not. Villager looks interesting personally. Everyone looks like they'll will be riding the Lil Mac hype train so possibly Peach. Sonic will obviously be one of my mains.

Praying for Chrom and Isaac. If not oh well.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Villager, because he was my most wanted in Brawl and I love his moveset.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Marth, Villager,Mario(If the fludd is changed and he doesn't suck) Falco if changed and doesn't suck. DK because he is awesome.

Top Bottom