• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who wants a Melee PAX Aus 2014 Tournament?

Mytus

Smash Apprentice

Hey guys,

I'm not sure how many of you attended PAX Aus in Melbourne last year, but it was one of the best gaming events I've ever been to in Australia. With around 40,000 people attending and a variety of tournaments over the 3 days, it could be a great opportunity for the community if Melee was included.

If there's enough interest here, it would be worth letting them know that the Melee community wants to be represented. While there most likely won't be any pots or huge prizes, it would be great to get Melee some attention and show people that there is still a thriving community in Australia. This year it is scheduled to be held over three days on Oct 31st - Nov 2nd.

Assuming we have the numbers collectively contacting the PAX Aus management, we can make certain that Melee will there.
Contact them via:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PAXAUS
Twitter: https://twitter.com/paxaus
Email: info@paxaustralia.com.au

If you're interested in attending PAX Aus, tickets can be purchased here.

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
like you said, would be great for exposure
happy to put my hand up, but not alone
also gotta be some sort of pamphlet or brochure or card (but something less.. gay) that we can do

Dekar289

Smash Hero
If you're interested in attending PAX Aus, tickets can be purchased here.
y u gotta not read bus
toshi was reading you that's for sure (!)

no more 3 day passes but can still buy for each day individually

Dekar289

Smash Hero
3 day pass is $15 cheaper than all 3 individually
are there any other benefits?
is it worth going all 3 days?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
oh cool
i'm probably having my own 2 hour q&a panel, so whatever day they have that scheduled i'll go

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Ss2k13 champ ct emp megabus brazzers david "dekar" moore 8 hour panel ft michael jordan and zeus

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
The power is in your hands guys, I've sent off an email and made a post on there Facebook page here.

If we get a bunch of people to comment and like that post, as well as spam up their wall with "BRING MELEE TO PAX!" I'm sure they would be happy to cater for us if they see that enough people would support it.

like you said, would be great for exposure
happy to put my hand up, but not alone
also gotta be some sort of pamphlet or brochure or card (but something less.. gay) that we can do
You mean if Melee does get a tournament at PAX? That sounds like a great idea.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Why only melee? Any chance for Brawl too?

oh cool
i'm probably having my own 2 hour q&a panel, so whatever day they have that scheduled i'll go
That sounds interesting Dekar, what's it about?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i'll be giving a talk on what it's like being friends with vincent "forte the storyteller" lim

Bu$

HoC
The shadowloo guys also had their own area setup showing off regular fighting games. Could be a good idea To get in touch with them and see where they're at.

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
The shadowloo guys also had their own area setup showing off regular fighting games. Could be a good idea To get in touch with them and see where they're at.
I'm pretty new to the scene so I'm still learning who is who. If they have the equipment we need people could likely get free passes to setup and assist with running the space.

If we approach the PAX organisers and say we can bring everything and essentially run ourselves at a professional level for a day or two over the three days I don't see why they wouldn't accept -- assuming everyone lets them know via social media or email that they want Melee there!

Bu$

HoC
I'm pretty new to the scene so I'm still learning who is who. If they have the equipment we need people could likely get free passes to setup and assist with running the space.

If we approach the PAX organisers and say we can bring everything and essentially run ourselves at a professional level for a day or two over the three days I don't see why they wouldn't accept -- assuming everyone lets them know via social media or email that they want Melee there!
You should send them something to enquirer about it and see what sort of response we get, then from there we can decide if we want it to go ahead or not.

Splice

Smash Hero
You should send them something to enquirer about it and see what sort of response we get, then from there we can decide if we want it to go ahead or not.
He already did Bus.
Their response was "We haven't finalised those details yet, we wait until the show is closer, then determine what games will be included then!"
Should probably make some noise before those details are finalised

I don't know anything about PAX and I certainly won't be in attendance but I think it's probably preferable to have our own melee space rather than use up Shadowloo's resources
Hopefully Dekar can carry the community on the communications front, idk

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I volunteered PAX's console tournaments last year and it was targeted specifically to be anti-pro, noob-friendly. Their marketing materials made a point of this too, so good luck with this one...

Bu$

HoC
Getting a Melee area for PAX would be great for exposure but will be heaps of work on the organisation and details front. It's either all or nothing for an event like this. Would it be aimed to be a entry free tournament to get some noob awareness? Problem with that is there could easily be too many entrants to handle. Having people pay to enter could possibly deter people from the event. Would it span over the 3 days or just 1? Do we have the man power and commitment from people to do so? PAX is a huge International event and i feel like this could easily become more work than what the Australian scene can handle if not done properly. Would it be more aimed at a spectator event instead seeing as the BYOC thing could be problematic. That being said I would be 100% committed to go ahead and put all my man power towards making it happen. Long live Melee <3

Mavrek

Smash Cadet
I would absolutely support Smash at PAX. To be honest, I actually thought they already featured it there.
I wasn't planning on going, but if Smash becomes one of their featured games (even if there is no tournament) I would definitely go for at least one of the days.

Mavrek

Smash Cadet
I just got a reply from the PAX community manager, here's what he had to say...
------------------------------------
"Hey,

We absolutely have Smash Bros playable in the Console Freeplay Area at every PAX, and we usually have at least one tournament for it, though hopefully this year we'll be collaborating with the local Smash Bros community guys to see if they're keen to run something a bit more structured!

Any announcements of the sort will be made via the Facebook/Twitter page closer to the event itself.

Cheers!

Guy 'Yug' Blomberg
PAX Australia | Content & Community Manager"
---------------------------------------
Seems promising yeah?

Splice

Smash Hero
Jei "Smash Daddy" Jei has got this one in the bag
Madt contacts, in the Bu$$iness making deals collecting paper stacks

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
Wow, great stuff.

I only created this thread with the intention of creating interest, not to run anything that may come to fruition myself. If anyone would like me to relinquish the OP to them, please let me know.

I'll send off another email, but be sure to also post on their Facebook page or send them a tweet if you use twitter to generate hype!

Top Bottom