• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with doc?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
What do you use to SHBAWD? Control stick and A or C-Stick?

Also, when attempting to do Uair combos, is it better to L-Cancel and SHFFL them or is it bettter to just do it and not fastfall so you have zero lag when you hit the ground?

Still on that note, can you SHFF a Uair and still not have to L-Cancel it if you Uair after you short hop quick enough?

For PTP, how do you suggest I practice?

Jab combos and jab grabs. Do they only work on floatys? Can I, for example, jab grab a Falco (I know a jab smash doesn't work because the time between the second jab and the downsmash is too slow).

On that note as well, is it better to do one jab then combo or two. Does it vary? I was in a recent tournament and I noticed that on my second jab Marth would sometimes float behind me and I'd miss my downsmash or grab.

I basically have a simple understanding of these all, but might as well make use of this thread, you know?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
radical: they bounce in a very readable pattern, but you can't control where they go, except by knowing how they bounce.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
@Kashakunaki: Yes, if you uair right after a short hop, you can fast fall and not have to L-cancel it.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ok, so i got a question that i want a sorta-extensive answer to.

At what %s can you up or downthrow characters into the doc punch?

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
What do you use to SHBAWD? Control stick and A or C-Stick?

Also, when attempting to do Uair combos, is it better to L-Cancel and SHFFL them or is it bettter to just do it and not fastfall so you have zero lag when you hit the ground?

Still on that note, can you SHFF a Uair and still not have to L-Cancel it if you Uair after you short hop quick enough?

For PTP, how do you suggest I practice?

Jab combos and jab grabs. Do they only work on floatys? Can I, for example, jab grab a Falco (I know a jab smash doesn't work because the time between the second jab and the downsmash is too slow).

On that note as well, is it better to do one jab then combo or two. Does it vary? I was in a recent tournament and I noticed that on my second jab Marth would sometimes float behind me and I'd miss my downsmash or grab.

I basically have a simple understanding of these all, but might as well make use of this thread, you know?
It's better to shffl, I usually only use L-cancel when I do the punch because it kinda lags when it lands. Yes fastfall when you make aerial attacks. A good way of practicing with your combos or techniques is to play against different lv.1 characters and try to figure out combos that will work on them and use them. I like to do an up kick after I jab. Good luck!

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
...Okay, first let me say this:

Don't ever triple post again... or double post for that matter. Next time you do, I will come to Laredo Texas and break your knee caps myself.

Secondly... no offense, but this isn't a very helpful topic.

Dogysamich, I'd be more than happy to answer that question if I knew. What I'll do, if I remember, is when my friend's come over I'll make a list. Test all the percents and what not with characters and make an official table of percents and characters displaying when a Fair combo will and won't work.

However, just for now, I think you can Dthrow to short hop Fair around 160~180 with Fox and Falco.

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
...Okay, first let me say this:

Don't ever triple post again... or double post for that matter. Next time you do, I will come to Laredo Texas and break your knee caps myself.

Secondly... no offense, but this isn't a very helpful topic.

Dogysamich, I'd be more than happy to answer that question if I knew. What I'll do, if I remember, is when my friend's come over I'll make a list. Test all the percents and what not with characters and make an official table of percents and characters displaying when a Fair combo will and won't work.

However, just for now, I think you can Dthrow to short hop Fair around 160~180 with Fox and Falco.
Sorry just trying my best here.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
eh, i started makin my own list, but its not specifically accurate, and i dunno exactly what im lookin for.

I've been studying for tests today, so i havent really gotten to sit down and mess with it like i wanted to. I'll try to tonight and see if i can come up with some useful stuff 2morrow.

. . . . . frickin wish my cpu wasnt broken. :/

--edit--
del, that video was good cause it had the chain throw %s, nice find.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, I'm just lazy or else I would've already done it.

But for your testing, this is the way I'd do it. Get my buddy to help me, for starters. Go into training and select Doc and then a computer as some character (Fox, for example). Then, I'd set the computer to human and set his percentage to a certain percent. Then I would down throw or up throw, depends on the character, and test to see when I when I can't hit them. You know, get a range. The fair combos are relative to the chaingrabs as well. Like Fox, for example. You can upthrow chain grab him until around 60 percent. By then, he can DI and jump out before he gets low enough to grab you, but that doesn't mean he can do that in the air. So slowly increase his percentage up until he can start to jump out higher than Doc can jump. Again, you've established a range. Just tinker with it a bit and you've got your percentages for when he can be faired and when he is too low or high to be faired.

That's how I'd do it.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
(words)quote]

Yeah, i get that, but i mean am i lookin for the registered combo or what?

Cause at low percent, you know you can get the hit off mistech that like 90% of the people dont tech (or atleast 90% of the people i play, it seems)

And then some of the ones that dont register as combos are ones that people dont/cant react to (the 70~100% range, or however high they can go and you can still reach)

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I have a question

I'm new to all the advanced techniques and I play against aiko's fox who is a lot better than me. I was wandering what was the best approach? I usually pill then short hop pill which works well most of the time but I need to vary my approaches to not be predictable.

Thanks in advance

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Against a fox, I personally like to stay on the defensive end of things and let them come to me and try to catch them with a n.air, b.air , f.smash, u.smash(oos if needed), or grab, all where availible. If I approach one, I tend to use any aerial, dc'd downsmash, or try to land a grab. I personally dont like leading with pill rushes cause I have the worst luck, and my opponents attacks tend to go through the pill and crush me in the process. :/

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Bullet Bill, this is what I recommend. Pill spam him to around 20%. From that point, mindgame him into a grab. Nair > Jab > Grab would be a good one. Chain throw him to around 55% and do one final up throw on him. Then follow his DI with a jump cancelled upsmash. After that I would recommend some Uair juggling. That'll rack the damage up on him hard. Then it is just a matter of getting him off the stage because it is easy after that. Your cape and bair will handle the rest.

As for general approachs, delayed Uairs, Nairs, wave smashes, and pills are good.

Top Bottom