• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I think Double JC shine, Dair, repeat looks so much cooler though.

My friend likes to try shieldgrab my Nair approaches, and it sometimes works. What's a good way to stop that? Start the Nair a bit later or earlier?

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Don't fast fall them. Instead jump the nair through his shield.

EDIT: Also what character is your friend primarily playing? Nairs are pretty good on floaties at low percentages in my experience, but on anyone else I usually like to go to a laser to a dair.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Hand, what I do against shield grabbers is just go past them, 9 times out of 10, they'll still shield grab because they're so effing used to it, and then you can fsmash from behind them, or dsmash or whatever you would like to do. Some just keep going with the nair through them so as to trick them into grabbing and lagging for you

Kumori

Smash Apprentice
Hand, what I do against shield grabbers is just go past them, 9 times out of 10, they'll still shield grab because they're so effing used to it, and then you can fsmash from behind them, or dsmash or whatever you would like to do. Some just keep going with the nair through them so as to trick them into grabbing and lagging for you
A man after my own heart, I do this too but usually do a l canceled bair then fsmash or dsmash if they shield that :)

M3RC

Smash Apprentice
Utilting after going past them like that is where its at. You can combo like a mad-man after Utilts.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
If I went past them, I'd start doing JC'ed shines from behind if they shield. Once I get them in the shine I'll just combo them.

Guys, the reason I do Shine, Shine, Dair, is because I'm used to doing that.

I can't really break they're shields all the time with JC'ed shines, I can probably do like, 8-12 on their shield before I mess up, maybe next time I'll do like 4 shines and then a dair lol.

Lol queen, thanks.

M3RC

Smash Apprentice
Alright, reverse waveshines are still giving me trouble. Whats the deal? I always end up just shine turning and consequently getting *****.

Childproof

Smash Rookie
Ok I dont want to make a new topic so I will just ask here since you seem to be able to help

Im pretty new decently at least but I have only just begun to find people who are better than I am so now I can get better. I can wavedash with people like Luigi and Marth and Samus but with Falco its hard for me to WD all over. I still use roll because of this. I have trouble SHLing sometimes(It starts too low and he pulls out the gun but fires no lazer) I dont know how to double lazer getting back onto the stage. I can only L cancel like 4 of 10 times. My combos need some work, too( Dair to shine to dair to uptilt to bair is like the best I will ever get off)

Basically I am asking for pointers on how to begin working these things into my matches to get better at them. I play bunches of characters. I hate fighting Peach and Jiggly and C Falcon and Ice Climbers everyone else is easy as pie though. Any help is appreciated.

How close should you be playing against a Shiek? What are some basic strategies against a Shiek{Of course I'm asking about Shiek, who else gives anyone trouble?!?}? Lots of SHL? How's about as far as shining and whatnot? What about when they're in the air, what then? Are there any combos Shiek has to watch out for? And on a side note, what do you use to jump-cancel your shines? Do you use both up and y/x, or just one or the other? If you use both, can you give me when you use certain ones? Like when you use the shine to dair spike, or shine to almost immediate bair, HOW do your fingers move that fast IF you use the y/x button for those two in specific?!? There's plenty of other times you do what looks like the impossible, but those are just 2 examples. Thanks in advance.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Childproof, for starters. Do not even try to get into comboing if you can L-canel 4 out of 10 times. You must get the basics first. Untill you can get L-canceling perfect and Wavedashing perfect, it would be much easier for me to be able to help you out with combos and etc. But I can give you tips on how to complete the two I told you. L-canceling, what you want to do is go on Versus mode, jump around on FD doing Short hopped Dairs and l-canceling them, and then after you master that, stand in one spot and do Nair shine, Nair shine, and repeat for about 30 times without messing up. Wavedashing, I first used Luigi when I learned about wavedashing and it helped alot because I learned the concept, and then when I tried to Wavedash with Fox, I knew how to do it, but just didn't have the timing, which is most likely your problem right now. So for wavedashing, use people like Luigi, Marth, Ice Climbers, Samus and other easy people untill you never ever mess up.

Erich, against sheik you must play smart and agressive at the same time. My brother KeepSpeedN has the best sheik in Fl so I have good experience vs Sheik. What you want to try to do is get in Dair or Nair, shine, Dair, uptilt combos. Sheik is somewhat of a hard character to combo so it will be difficult at first. I personally don't spam lasers that much, I just rush in being smart about it and when I get the shine, I just combo them. But if your not that technical of a falco, then use your lasers wisely, and use lots of Nairs and Dairs to approach, use them equally. And if your lucky enough to get the shine(If your not too good at comboing) do a uair after every shine, it racks up damage pretty easily. And agressive sheiks, if they do a dash attack to you and you shield it, just out of your sheild with a shine to Bair, Dair, Nair or one of those, it works pretty good. When I do the shine to bair I use the control stick, but the reason it goes so fast is the way I time it, if you do it too fast it won't come out, if you do it just right It'll come out perfectly. But sometimes I use Y. Also grabs work good on sheik, grab throw up, double jump Nair(Only double jump if yo uhave to).

nice1

Smash Lord
hey shiz this probably been answered in one of the pages but any way, how long hav u been playing as falco?

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@child: i think the start up time for falco's jump is a little longer than other characters, so you have to wait a frame or two longer to do the dodge into the ground.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
Falco has a 6-frame jump, while most characters have a 4-frame (Fox, IC's, Samus...) or 5-frame (Marth, Luigi...). Credit given to Mew2King

Childproof

Smash Rookie
@child: i think the start up time for falco's jump is a little longer than other characters, so you have to wait a frame or two longer to do the dodge into the ground.
Yeah I can WD fine now, it was just akward compared to other char's. I can also L cancel most of the time now, its 100% when I dont hit the target lol, but sometimes the difference in timing when you hit them throws me off.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I kept forgetting to ask my main question, so I kept making up other random questions. (They helped, but not the one I really wanted. >_<)

When I try to do Dair -> Utilt, I either do a Usmash or Uair. When is a good time to press up to do a tilt?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Shiz, this isn't actually a question for you in specific, but I didn't want to make a thread for this.

How come you almost never see someone intentionally turn in the shine? I mean, I know you'll turn in shine to edgehog, so does bombsoldier, but I've never see anyone useing it for anything else. It seems like being able to do a reverse grab out of a shine or having a better bair out of shine by turning around fast would be useful. And it's not that hard, you just slide the stick in the direction you want to go then up.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
For the Dair-> Utilt, just start pressing up when you're in the animation Dair. Also, since most people use the c-stick to do the aerial, you can fastfall, cstick to do the aerial and hold up without affecting the Dair.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Chred2aKrisp, I have no idea lol. I never see people turn around in a shine either, lol.

Handorin, your most likely pushing up on the control stick way too late, you have to do it while your in the execution of a different move. *Example* you do a Dair, after you L-cancel hold up really quickly.

But I'd say, the hardest move to do the uptilt with is the short hop laser. Anyone ever tried doing a short hop laser it uptilt? Its kind of difficult.

Thanks MasterGary, I am glad to everyone that is helped by this thread :chuckle:.

Any more questions? Lol

Edg

Smash Cadet
Regarding wavedashing out of a shine... what button do you use to jump and airdodge? I'm having problems getting my thumb from B to X because of the giant green A button between them ~~

technomancer

Smash Champion
Chred2aKrisp, I have no idea lol. I never see people turn around in a shine either, lol.
Masashi and Thunders use this alot with Fox as an edgeguarding tactic from a waveshine; they'll shine a slippery character off, SH off the stage and drop low, shine-turn and B-air to interrupt quick recoveries, and shinespike/downsmash from there. KDJ does this as well. Falco can do the same, he just has to drop a bit lower. They also use it to fake an approach: SH at someone, shine-turn, and then drop with a high priority B-air, but this isn't very good with Falco due to his higher second jump.

SciFiGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hello...

Whenever I try to SHFFL a dair then shine, my opoonent always shieldgrabs me somehow, even though the shine should hit him. It's not making any sense to me at all.

So the I just do lasers and all the other stuff. :/

SciFiGuy

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine at l-canceling, it's that he shieldgrabs me like after I hit his sheild, but before I touch the gorund and do a shine.

Yes, I can fast fall as well.

Nappydude1

Smash Rookie
I'm Pillaring fine now thnaks for the help i just need to put in some real 1vs1 matches, Can i ask how do you guys JC out of the Shine to bair, i was watching Shiz combo video and i made my mind up to become good like him until brawl comes out. So can you help me with JCing Shine to bair and all the other Shine JC combos to Mario, Marth, Fox, Cpt. Falcon.

I love the shine to wavedash to nair to a dair.
Thanks in advance

Handorin

Smash Hero
The easiest way for me to JC shine is to shine then press up on the Control Stick, then do a bair with the cstick.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
the best way to practice is against a lvl 1 cpu. that way u can practice all of ur lil technical trikcs like JC'd shines and stuff. and that way u can use the c-stich unlike in practice mode.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Do you know how to wavedash? jump, dodge down.
Shine? DownB

So DownB, X/Y, L/R +down, DownB

if that made sense

technomancer

Smash Champion
Hello...

Whenever I try to SHFFL a dair then shine, my opoonent always shieldgrabs me somehow, even though the shine should hit him. It's not making any sense to me at all.

So the I just do lasers and all the other stuff. :/
The D-air functions like a sex kick, in that it gets somewhat weaker with time. The trick is that the opening hit of the D-air has tons of shield-stun, while the rest has pretty weak shield stun. Also, it takes Falco a good 25 frames to go all the way up and down from a SHFFL, + landlag and however long your inaccuracies are.

Anyway, bla bla technical, this is a common problem with Falcos trying to pillar. You need to do the D-air late in your jump, as or after you fastfall and preferably as late as possible, or else they will be able to grab, jump out of shield, roll, etc before you can shine.

Top Bottom