• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
if i posted a video of me and a friend play do u think u could maby tell me what im doing wrong and how i can improve etc.

im advance:
i cant wavedash yet
the odd time i can shffl but im a match i dont try it realy. just cant hit opponents which dont move like lv 1-4 coms lol

well i wont say ne more. u get the idea. my playing needs some major work done

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
The problems I'm encountering so far are thus:
I can wavedash about 50-75% of the time, however, it's just >45 degrees, and I always end up having a shield for a few frames.

I'm finding it incredibly difficult to shffl his moves that are anything but the Nair and Dair. ( I never use the Fair)

My SHL is getting better, but I'll get streaks where my thumb moving from the x to b button is less than 20 frames off, so I hit the ground with no laser. I'm working on short hopping with the y button to hopefully remedy this.

My shine combos are abyssmal.

Red_Ninja

Smash Cadet
Lhdl

alright, well i got falcos wavedash about...75% of the time...its really annoying to time...

and i can shield break pillar decently now. it just sorta clicked this morning.

i can do a lhdl all the time but the first laser always goes over the head of the other person.

and my shl is getting really good.

anything i should really try and focus on right now and get down really well?
If your first laser is going over the other person's head and the second is mid to ground level, you are most likely dropping down from the ledge jumping up quickly (using x or y) and spamming b while moving forward. A, as in one of at least two, correct ways to do a lhdl is to drop down from the ledge, let yourself fall a little lower than you would think, then quickly tap up on the joystick, spam b and move forward. It will take some practice and you will probably do the firebird several times because the joystick is still in the up position when you start tapping b. If you follow those steps you will eventually learn and or master the ledge hop double laser.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Sorry guys If I havn't responded for a while, I had thanksgiving with my family and I was at their house for a couple of days.

DJ, keep practicing that wavedash. When you master it though, you should definitely start trying to do waveshining, once you master that. I want you to start comboing with Dair shine, Dair shine and keep repeating that, after you master those I will tell you advanced combos that lead to more damage after doing dair shine the multiple times.

Puff jiggly, send me the link to the video, if you've already sent it sorry, please send it again :).

Thekneeofjustice, the reason why after your wavedash you have frames of a shield left is because you are holding the L or R button to long. After you jump and push the R or L button just let go of it. You don't want to get in the habbit of holding the Dodge button because you can get punished for your shield being out too long. But once you master the wavedash and waveshining like I told DJ, just tell me and then I'll get you into combos.

Red Ninja, good job helping that person out.

Hydro Kirby, hmmmmmmm your falco has potential. Try to get better at comboing, if you have comboing questions just ask me. Your falco as I can see relys on lasers alot, try to shoot less lasers so you can get your technical skill better. You do a descent amount of grabbing, the grab throw down downsmash is pretty good but I think you should vary your grabs between throwing them up and down. When you throw them up since they automatically go infront of the direction your char is facing, either catch them in the air with a shine so you can start comboing that way, or do a forward smash. The forward smash works pretty good if they don't expect it which most people don't. Or to be random grab them and throw them up, then catch them in the air again. This works pretty randomly. Other than that though, you have a good falco, keep practicing it has potential.

From that tournament I won a week ago, I'm waiting for the Finals Vids to come out. When they do I'll let you guys know, I was playing less fast and more smart in those vids because the people I was playing can own your mind when you are technical. If you guys are ever in a situation like this, just slow your pace down and play smart. It helps for the best.

King Malice

Smash Ace
I have been playing falco for about 5 months now, I can Wavedash 95% of the time, I SHL very well, and I shffl almost perfectly. How can I practice pillaring (not shield break pillaring)? Should I double jump into the DAir?

Also my friend plays Ganon, he waits for me to come to him, and when I do he does the 'a' button over and over again, if not, he has immaculate timing with shieldgrabbing and I am not really good at pillaring.

Things to keep in mind:
Whenever I SHL him he rolls around me when I approach him.
Whenever I begin to pillar him he DIs away.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SNAPPLEWHIZ

Smash Rookie
shiz, can u give me any advice on facing aggressive sheiks that spam dash attacks to start their combos?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Also my friend plays Ganon, he waits for me to come to him, and when I do he does the 'a' button over and over again, if not, he has immaculate timing with shieldgrabbing and I am not really good at pillaring.

Things to keep in mind:
Whenever I SHL him he rolls around me when I approach him.
Whenever I begin to pillar him he DIs away.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
What happens when you spam shl while keeping your distance from him? If you never tried that you might want to give it a shot. When he does come after you just exploit mistakes he makes.

kidprecision

Smash Apprentice
shiz, can u give me any advice on facing aggressive sheiks that spam dash attacks to start their combos?
shieldgrab. when they dash through up your shield and grab them during lag. or just wavedash and give em a nice fsmash or dsmash.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Yeah, what kidprecision said is good.

To do the Wall jump on FD with falco, which what I think what your probably talking about is teching, all you have to do is hug the stage while doing your Up + B recovery move and when you get to the edge, when they do they're attack which is probably a downsmash or a dair or marths forward smash or whatever, you push L or R right before the attack hits you and you will jump from the stage getting damage but not dying.

King Malice

Smash Ace
What happens when you spam shl while keeping your distance from him? If you never tried that you might want to give it a shot. When he does come after you just exploit mistakes he makes.
He either jumps onto a platform to wait it out, and goes under when I go on a platform and etc.
If it is FD he rolls towards me. And when he does that I usually go for the RSHL while I jump past him. Sometimes it works. Sometimes.

SNAPPLEWHIZ

Smash Rookie
also, im having problems doing the edge hop double laser. do i have to press it REALLY fast? because i can only get one >_> and it seems impossible for me to get two

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
What I do for the Ledge Hop double blaster, is I push down on the control stick( the stick that controls the characters movements) and then I push up, and then I spam the B button while moving forward. But after you push up, you have to push the b button and then move forward, you can push them both at the same time or else you will do a phantasm forwards.

SNAPPLEWHIZ

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks. im going to try that. thanks alot man! your falco owns!! :) i wanna be as good as you one day!! haha

Miharu

Smash Hero
Hey Shiz, thanks for the advice.

Right now, I just have some issues with extending my combos. I can get the standard dair to waveshine twice, but after that it's a little iffy. Right now my finishers stand at shine to jc bair, utilt to nair to tech chase for possible dsmash/fsmash, or maybe utilt to something. But the main problem for me is after the dair to waveshine twice, they end up on a platfrom, and it's pretty hard to continue the combo from there, unless I use a shine, but I have to end that with dair/bair.

I also tend to be stuck in my shield sometimes now, and I don't really know what to do other than shffld dair out of shield, grab, roll, or spotdodge.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
Hey Shiz, I was wondering should Falco always be moving forward while doing the lhdl or is it situational? And if this thread becomes overwhelming I'll help you out sometimes if you want me to but good work on keeping everybody happy and helping us out.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Yup Abulize, falco should alwasy be moving forward. And anyone that can help contribute to this thread please do :).

Hydro Kirby, I'll answer that questoin when I come back from school because thats a long answer lol.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
lol from shield you can jump out (with or without aerial), wd out (to either side ^^), shieldgrab, sidestep, roll away, cancel with usmash, cancel with shine, hell, cancel with upB :p
and you can just
let your shield down
as well.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
So I pretty much have one constant competitor here, and he's a Peach player. The problem is he's started to incorporate d-smashing for edge guarding. My biggest problem is I always forget to attempt a tech, don't know the timing, or which direction I should be jamming the control stick in. Is it up? or Up and away?

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
BORN! YOU FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE

short hop laser :)
Out o shield? I nearly ever use it lol. I only shield when I find it necessary which is usually with the enemy very closeby, SHLing out of shield takes to long to be effective. Unless your shield was Marth Fsmashed or sth laggy.

But still good point :p

guy under that:
to tech the peach dsmash
if you're left under the stage, you upB tot the stage and above, you just keep holding that and press L or R somewhat halfway through the firebird (obviously somewhere before getting hit)

Oakie

Smash Apprentice
what about wavedashing out your shield? how effective is that? or is it just kind of situational? cause i dont seem to do that at all as a falco

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Example for wavedashing out of sheild, Marth F-smash you shield it wavedash to F-smash, sh dair pillar, etc. It is useful against laggy attacks.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Hmm, truedge, I'm watching your vids right now, I don't know if this will help you right now but I'll give you a link to these vids, the link is to vids of Semi-Finals at smashaid it was me vs Mike G. He's the 3rd best peach in the country.

This is about 5 to 7 months old, I used to suck vs peach but I kind of knew what to do, so if this vids help you thats good.

Link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=aKs6oi3cn7E

Now Im much better vs peach, I was fighting him at MLG Orlando in friendlies and the fights were really close and pretty even.

I'll give you tips on peach after I'm done watching your vid.

Truedge930

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff, I wish I had time to practice, I feel like I know what I need to be doing and I'm seeing my mistakes but my fingers aren't moving fast enough. But yeah, stuff I need to do more against peach, spam lasers, avoid spot dodging in certain cases because that leads to d-smash pain and put myself in position to get a kill.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
I'm not one to talk, but I recommend (for your finger training) is trying to connect 2 specific moves together really fast. get them down so your fingers recognize those 2 moves as 1. then do that with a bunch of different moves, then when you need to bust out a fast combo, those 2 moves will flow together flawlessly. if that doesn't help, (which it didn't really help for me, lol) switch to a slower character. that's why I main ganon, I process terribly slow.

SNAPPLEWHIZ

Smash Rookie
hmm shiz, what do u do to ppl who jump to avoid the SHL? for example, i start SHL-ing in place, and my opponent jumps over them as he approaches me. what would be a good way to punish them for "trying to be smart"?

mathos

Smash Champion
full jump double laser, full jump triple laser, double jump lasers and etc.

Most people can avoid stationary SHL. Laser creativity will aid you.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I couldn't watch your entire video I kept rewinding it from 18 seconds into the video back to 12 seconds :laugh:. The combos were pretty sick.

King Malice said:
Shiz, how can I practice edgeteching?
If you have someone that can play as another character you should try it on FD first. Be Falco and have Peach wait on the edge. Fall below the edge and firebird up. Have Peach use her d-smash and try to tech it. Try it out with different characters as well.

Another thing you could do is go to Falco's BtT. There are those things in his that bounce you off if you get hit. Go to the two on the left hand side. One's on top of the other. Go pass it and then full jump into the top one. It will send you flying backwards. You have to tech off the wall it sends you at. It should send you to the left if done correctly. Tech the big wall and keep doing it. Try and vary your techs as well so you can see the differences. I just started doing this yesterday. It's not hard it just gives you an understanding of how it works and the timing.

About your question with Marth. I'll let Shiz handle it but try to use mindgames if you can and punish him for the horrible lag on his f-smash.

EDIT - Peach tips would be great. My friend knows how to play against Falco fairly well. For some reason I'm having trouble playing well with Falco at the moment so I'm working on him. He knows how to avoid lasers and floats above me. One thing I notice that works is that you can n-air her. I actually didn't think of using Falco's d-air. . . just realizing this now. . . wow :laugh:. Anyways, Peach tips would be nice.

SNAPPLEWHIZ

Smash Rookie
for full jump double lasers/triple lasers and double jump lasers, etc, am i supposed to press the b button ultra fast? iono, i tried it and i can only do 2 in one jump, about 1 each second :urg: i dont know how to shoot like 2 in about a second. anyone wanna explain how exactly do u do it? :confused:

Junpappy

Smash Lord
for full jump double lasers/triple lasers and double jump lasers, etc, am i supposed to press the b button ultra fast? iono, i tried it and i can only do 2 in one jump, about 1 each second :urg: i dont know how to shoot like 2 in about a second. anyone wanna explain how exactly do u do it? :confused:
Full jump triple lasers don't require fast pushing of the b button. They just require that you push the b button very soon after jumping. Your first laser should shoot before you reach the peak of your jump, the second shortly after reaching the peak, and the third right before you reach the ground.

Top Bottom