• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Makes Games You Always Enjoy?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Pretty simple question; there are some stellar game mods out there that always make an enjoyable game, be it through wacky role shenanigans, great flavor, eminent balance, new mechanics, or some gorgeous combination of the above. The kind of mod where you recklessly ignore aside your schedule to join a game -- or at the very least try to pencil in time for it, haha. I guess you can add adventure games to this for the sake of letting the conversation live longer/have more to talk about.

There are a few people like that for me.

First and most obviously: Tom. Tom is one of The Ancients around here, and is almost always playing or modding or designing a game, unlike some of us Ancients who lazily pop out of a cave from excessive hibernation once in a while. I would bet about half of my Decisive Gaming has been under the umbrella of a Tom game, and I've never once regretted it. Samuel L. Jackson Mafia had hilarious flavor, the kind of borderline bastard modding mechanics/roles you have to laugh at when all's said and done, and a minimized margin of error. Batmafia had some pretty epic roles, and I played a
jester that would revive all dead players if lynched
. Except I was lynched D1, ha ha. His Yoshi's Island game had really amazing mechanics, as the setup was such that people received their role (including possible power role) before their alignment. The possibility of a mafia consisting of a Mafia Watcher and a Mafia Tracker, for example, is just hilarious and also oddly compelling. Scrubs Mafia had a standard-ish setup but the flavor and whatnot mixed together so well that i had a hell of a time anyway.

If I hear about a Tom game coming up, I'll always try to make some time for it, and lament when I can't. Tom also invented a DGame in "The Mole" that defied categorization, as a kind of online game show combined with "scumhunting" put through the meat grinder of various challenges and elimination methods. This was fabulous fun, and I wasn't the only one saddened when it was cancelled. Lastly, Tom's X-Men: Evolution game was poised to be the best adventure game -- and possibly decisive game -- ever, though it's understandable that starting out so huge was too much for him. Just the same, Tom seemed to put inordinate amounts of effort into the "betas" to make sure each individual player had their character's world and spirit reflected in his moderation style, which was smooth, efficient, compelling and fair. I have very fond memories to this day of playing as Cable and taking on a huge squad of Sentinels, managing to use tactical skill to kill every one of them without losing a single one of my men. Things only got more hectic and compelling from there. I also watched over his Deadpool beta, where Tom played the role of both the objective moderator and the "Yellow Boxes" Deadpool is so obsessed with, and he and Eor played off of each other hilariously, managing to improvise mania and humor that I found much funnier than anything in the comics.

Kirby King is another one I'll generally make time for. I played his first game, SWF-Mafia, in the BRoom, which used a the now-infamous "rep system", where players could be +/- repped every day, and it would take a certain amount of rep to lynch someone, not just votes. The game was diabolical in its design in all the best ways. I didn't play Paranoiafia, but I regretted it, for the sentence preceding this one surely applied. Unintended Consequences was like some kind of singularity of organized madness, and a constant supply of both good scumhunting fun and truly, bafflingly hilarious mechanics. I won't say anything about a game that totally doesn't exist, but that's shaping up to be a real good time as well. One thing that tethers KiKi's games together so well for me is the dry sense of humor that always seems to pervade them; it makes even a mislynch or a nightkill you prayed against amusing.

Mediocre is another good one. I only played one of his mafia games, but he seems to have an enviable skill for marrying flavor with good game design in a truly intuitive manner. I noticed this in his BRoom game, as well. Medi is good at coming up with new roles that make sense, balance, and yet are both interesting and original. If he ever comes out of his mafia cave again to run something, I'll surely be roundhouse kicking my commitments out of the way. Also, although Medi's adventure games up to now have all stagnated, I've had enough playtime to dub him the best AGame mod currently in the DGames community. I can't think of a single action resolution in countless hours of playtime that seemed unfair to me, nor have things ever dragged or become dull. He maintains atmosphere, fairness, and compelling ways to drive people toward a conclusion without railroading.

I think there are more people I want to acknowledge but that took way longer than I thought it would to type up! Gotta get goin'.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I'd like to play in a Tom game myself.

I personally have enjoyed Overswarm's wacky games with lots of power roles. I wish there was some way to keep an accurate vote count though.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Do game mods from other sites count? Or game mods for not-forum mafia? I have a couple in mind that I would give trophies to if they do.

For here at DGames, I'll say that I've always enjoyed Xiivi games when they come around. He always does a really good job of making unexpected set-ups and fun flavor while not having flavor play too big of a role. Though I almost thought of not mentioning him because of the Town Saulus Cop in Mayfia. That was just dumb.

Although I only played Unintended Consequences, I'll agree that Kirby King does an awesome job. Very creative and fun roles.

Overswarm's games are definitely the funnest to watch, but I think I'd kick him in the shins if I had to play them.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Overswarm's games are definitely the funnest to watch, but I think I'd kick him in the shins if I had to play them.
I still remember being blown away by how scummy Edreeses seemed when he cleared someone out of super arbitrary WIFOM (and other odd snafus), then he explained that he had only played OS games before this, going on to say that things like "power crystals" often had a great deal of meaning. It was kind of hilarious how easy it was to see him as town once I imagined him as someone who had only played really wacky games before.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
My 67 year old neighbor. He plays fun games with me ^_^.

Nah. My funnest game imo was the Xiivi game (remember that, Sold :p?)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I honestly can't say that there's a single mod that never disappointed me [myself included].

:059:

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Though I almost thought of not mentioning him because of the Town Saulus Cop in Mayfia. That was just dumb.
:laugh:

It might of worked if I wasn't such a total noob back then.

Anyway, Xiivi is a beast mod.

MK is a great mod

Rockin's set ups look amazing. Not signing up for barhouse sleepover is one of my biggest regrets on dGames, but I was new then.

OS has entertaining set ups too.

I hope I will be a good mod too ;)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
My Set-ups are for simple fun

Tom's set-ups are for well-designed fun that normally need a co-mod

Kiki's games are usually a good time.

Medi's games are very solid

I also like EE's games.

Those would be the catagory of games that I've played and liked to In the most.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
toms games are just simply the best all around

flavor wise and mafia wise. theres really no competition.

except scum wars or w/e tht anti meta game game lol. but i even still had fun in that

theyre especially good becuz night actions and roles never become too dominant a force in the game, however the role combinations are always dynamic and interesting enough.

and they generally play well too.

other games/setups i enjoyed come from many different mods, but noones as consistently good as tom's imo

/**** ride

Overswarm

is laughing at you
My games are the most fun to watch because I have to watch them and therefore make them fun for me to watch.

Except Incredibly Depressing Mafia. Ugh.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Tom
M3D
Medi
KiKi

would probably say Xiivi too if i would ever play in one of his games

I liked Pierres game on here too.

Also yes yes yes to Medi being an amazing AGames mod.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I hope I'm not the only one who thinks Rockin is one of the best mods? Like, I see Medi's name being tossed around ... how many games did he host in dGames again? I think Rockin's done a lot of good work as a host. Not the most amazing games ever imo but at least I can't think of a mediocre game coming from him either.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
@rockin games... how do people feel about the rogue? the PGO?
lol thiiiisssssssss

Rockin is a fine mod and all and does offer fun flavour but these are questionable balance choices at best.

Though the optional PGO (that's what it was right, Noel was able to turn off her guns if she wanted to I believe?) isn't nearly as bad as a full blown PGO, the rogue is just so.....blech.

But on that same note I must also say contract hitman and leave it at at that.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
the purpose of scum wars:

1) steel and i wanted to make a star wars game together

2) i wanted to hurt SWF metagame

3) i was challenged to make a role that knew everything, could not die, and was still as balanced as possible

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
the purpose of scum wars:

1) steel and i wanted to make a star wars game together

2) i wanted to hurt SWF metagame

3) i was challenged to make a role that knew everything, could not die, and was still as balanced as possible
1.) Cool, in that regard well done.

2.) Wat. Not sure what you mean here. I think you mean you wanted to try to throw some curveballs to break what you believed were common, but poor assumptions about what roles were typical to which factions. That's fair, like the scumvernor and what not. "Hurt the metagame" carries a much more malignant connotation than what I've just described though. =/

3.) The role itself was "balanced" relative to the town and the scum factions within the context of the game, but only by sacrificing a key element of the mafia faction's power in a game of mafia. Sacrificing that critical ability did achieve the balance you were looking for but pretty much utterly destroyed what a mafia faction is as a result. So good effort I suppose, just gotta be careful about stuff like that.

Well, at least there was only one.
I wish I know what you were getting at. D=

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
2) thats what i meant by hurt the metagame. maybe i should have phrased it differently but i did see the common assumptions as the ENEMY and i HURT the ENEMY

3) the mafia factions only had a 50/50 ability to see their kill go through. however, one of them could recruit the vig and gain another kill, the other one could stop a lynch, and both could win at a day earlier than lylo by joint-winning with the hitman. so, i think it was a fair trade. i see what you mean, but each mafia faction could still kill, so i dont think i destroyed what a mafia faction is - a faction that wants to kill the town. they could still do it, yknow?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i think kiki is referring to his paranoifia game. Which was actually good and I feel bad about the way we played that. lol

I do think optional pgo can be a decent role as well. I feel like I've had this argument with someone, probably marshy. Though normal pgo sucks all the time.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ Tom, yes the mafia factions could still kill, but it was the reliability factor that matters in that regard. Mafia factions are given the ability to kill not only to work toward gaining numerical advantage, but also to use that kill strategically to eliminate problematic players and setup up mislynches. Stripping them of the ability to typically control who dies at night (I say typically because of course, they never have complete control, given the existence of BPs, Docs, Drivers, RBers, etc.) is a HUGE loss of power and strategy in the game. Both factions potentially would have been able to have no reliability in killing who they needed to to keep the game going the direction they wanted to. That's just how mafia works. In scum wars, it just ended up being the Imperials who had zero control (which I would contend ultimately handed the game to the Hutt faction, hence furthering the poignancy of my point about how important NK control is), but theoretically it could have happened to either faction.

Trying to justify this huge loss in ability for either faction by saying, you could win earlier than normal, you could recruit a vig, and you could cause significant game shift using a scumvernor isn't legitimate. All of these are swingly possibilities, not definite, reliable tools either factions would use (well governor was, but even that is a swingy ability in and of itself).

So yeah, hope that makes sense. That's really why I had such a big problem with it. It removed the most critical reliable tool scum factions have from their control and relegated it to someone beyond their control, with no ample replacement for that huge loss.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
well, mafia could have their kill taken away

^^;

no, what youre saying makes sense, and your (and a few others') responses did teach me a thing or two about the game

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
well, mafia could have their kill taken away

^^;

no, what youre saying makes sense, and your (and a few others') responses did teach me a thing or two about the game
Hahaha oh you!

I'm glad you were able to take something away from that. I feel bad constantly bashing on it all the time but I only do it because I really feel that remembering to preserve such core elements of faction operation in mafia games is extremely important during design.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I thought the optional PGO was fine and the Rogue was literally the only thing that didn't work out well. And that was Rockin's first game [which still looked pretty solid otherwise].

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well for me, Kirby King (when I don't die N0...) is my main "must join". There's just always a different and interesting mechanic each time.

Aside from that, I've joined games based on which flavor I really like, and haven't really seen most mods more than once or twice.

Notable games I've really enjoyed:

EE's Spidey mafia (Regardless of the balance of 7 anti-town to 10 town, I had a blast and the watcher is a really sweet role)
Circus's Wonderland mafia (Would you believe that this game is still my most recent time as mafia in a normal game? All I've had since then is a marathon mafia, and cult in mind screw and getting schooled. Now if only we hadn't lost our roleblocker in RVS...)
Ronike's DBZ mafia (Awesome. My favorite game ever, and my MVP performance. Even though I lost, working with Cello against mafia was a blast.)
Marshy's Mario Kart mafia (Mechanic was cool, flavor was perfect, and the role was great. I only wish I'd survived longer, I feel I really could have nailed mafia on D3...)
Special shoutout to Xiivi running all those marathon mafias. I only played in two, but they were both great.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
My fav are def Xiivi games by far. His roles are cool, setups are balanced, pretty good modding.
I've only been in one Tom game that I can remember, FFVII Redux. I didn't play well in it unfortunately but I loved the roles (and flavor obviously). It was just a shame that he was more or less not there for modding. Didn't someone else have to end up modding the rest of it? I stopped reading it because I died so early.
Rockin's another noteable one, mostly for Mafia Tournament Sleepover with such great and involved flavor. Unfortunately it seems that none of his game after that have had such attention by him.
Overswarm has the most ridiculous crazy insane setups which are kinda fun lol, but he's by far the worst on the site for giving vote counts wtf lol I don't think I've seen a single correct vote count from him

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The only mod I've played multiple setups for so far is OS, haven't been here long enough otherwise.

I've grown to appreciate OS games a lot more since I decided to just agree completely with Xivii on it. They're FFA 4 players, all items, on hyrule temple.

I despise playing FFA, with items on wonky stages, but... they're awesome to watch, so that's what I've decided to do with OS games, watch them and enjoy laughing at other's pains.

My fav are def Xiivi games by far. His roles are cool, setups are balanced, pretty good modding.
I've only been in one Tom game that I can remember, FFVII Redux. I didn't play well in it unfortunately but I loved the roles (and flavor obviously). It was just a shame that he was more or less not there for modding. Didn't someone else have to end up modding the rest of it? I stopped reading it because I died so early.
Rockin's another noteable one, mostly for Mafia Tournament Sleepover with such great and involved flavor. Unfortunately it seems that none of his game after that have had such attention by him.
Overswarm has the most ridiculous crazy insane setups which are kinda fun lol, but he's by far the worst on the site for giving vote counts wtf lol I don't think I've seen a single correct vote count from him
*waves*

People said "I want a game without so many abilities" AND THEY GOT IT :mad:
1, it was chance based.

2. It had the weakest playerlist of any of the BBR games.

Probably would've been a better game without those 2 issues.

Top Bottom