• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the Easiest Character to Play Well With?

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Title says it all. Who do you think is the easiest character to pick up and be good with?

I personally say Little Mac. While playing for Glory I've encountered a lot of Little Mac players, and its usually a tuff / good match. However I find that either they only play as only him, or when they do switch characters, they're not really that good at all haha.

What do you think?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Mac takes quite a bit of skill, actually. Me, I'd say (Dr.) Mario. All you need to know is Dthrow, spam Utilt, Uair, Uair, Uspecial. You'll be racking up damage like a madman. ...Good luck on the KO, though.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I personally say Little Mac. While playing for Glory I've encountered a lot of Little Mac players, and its usually a tuff / good match. However I find that either they only play as only him, or when they do switch characters, they're not really that good at all haha.
Gonna say Lucina, Little Mac, and the Mario's are pretty easy to use well.
As LancerStaff said, Little Mac actually does require quite a bit of skill because you can't make mistakes. I know this is an opinion thread, but when you think about it Li'l Mac isn't that easy to play because if he gets knocked off he's so easy to gimp and get rid of so you can't let it happen. Since the only way to avoid getting hit is to be fast and have good timing, Mac certainly isn't the easiest to play. It's just played by a lot of people. The key to getting him is to get him to slip up or you can predict a roll or attack, then smash/throw him off the edge and gimp him.

As for who is the easiest to play, perhaps Dr. Mario again like LancerStaff said. It's kind of hard to say exactly who is the easiest to play, because the actual act of playing Smash competitively requires skill in the first place.

Last edited:

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Bowser, free. Insane, easy kill options and you live forever. I occasionally play him when I don't feel like trying in For Glory, lol.

Last edited:

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
As LancerStaff said, Little Mac actually does require quite a bit of skill because you can't make mistakes. I know this is an opinion thread, but when you think about it Li'l Mac isn't that easy to play because if he gets knocked off he's so easy to gimp and get rid of so you can't let it happen. Since the only way to avoid getting hit is to be fast and have good timing, Mac certainly isn't the easiest to play. It's just played by a lot of people. The key to getting him is to get him to slip up or you can predict a roll or attack, then smash/throw him off the edge and gimp him.

As for who is the easiest to play, perhaps Dr. Mario again like LancerStaff said. It's kind of hard to say exactly who is the easiest to play, because the actual act of playing Smash competitively requires skill in the first place.
Its true that you need to be skilled to play competitively obviously, I still think Little Mac is the easiest to win with tho. He basically gets an automatic OK if he racks up the meter thing. Thats pretty deadly in a 2 stock match, you just have to be a good dodger. But no other character has that advantage like him.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Its true that you need to be skilled to play competitively obviously, I still think Little Mac is the easiest to win with tho. He basically gets an automatic OK if he racks up the meter thing. Thats pretty deadly in a 2 stock match, you just have to be a good dodger. But no other character has that advantage like him.
I main Little Mac, and the K.O punch is pretty difficult to land on a good opponent. Usually you either miss, or they just knock it out of you 6 seconds after you get it. It's actually a lot slower to build up by attacking rather than being hit, usually a Mac will only have his K.O punch ready when he's at least 60%, and it's usually a hit with high knockback that gives you the punch so it's not very hard for the opponent to wait out the 6 seconds then attack you.

His K.O punch is useful, but it's not exactly an advantage over other characters, it's just part of his character. Like how Rosalina has Luma, Kirby has copy ability, and certain characters have meteor smashes - it's just part of their characters.

I still don't think Mac's the easiest to play, especially against an opponent of the same skill level. He has a lot of good stuff, but he has disadvantages to balance out that good stuff and make it so that you really have to play well to win.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Little Mac is pretty cake to use against mid-low players who aren't used to his style. After that he becomes much harder, as people will learn to just chuck him offstage and let him die.

So, at low level, Mac. At a mid or high level, probably Marth or Mario again.

WaffleCone

Smash Rookie
I'd say it depends mostly on the competency of your opponent. For an example, against somebody who has no idea what they're doing, one could have great success with Little Mac with little to no game knowledge. However, against more experienced opponents who have familiarized themselves with dealing with pub-stomp characters, other characters become easier to have success with. In my own opinion, the character that fits this description the best is Dr. Mario.

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
For a bare-bones, stock standard character (I know he's not really like this), Fox is pretty simple. Simple projectile, a straight shooting recovery, reflector. Fox illusion helps with recoveries, especially now that you don't go into recovery state after using it. Fox is capable of cool things, but simply looking at the concept he's pretty standard and user-friendly.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Little Mac is easiest to have success with in the online environment, strictly speaking. He's not harmed as much by input latency (you could argue that it actually helps him due to armor frames and fast smashes that takes speed to punish).

Overall it's harder to say. Without input latency, Little Mac is considerably less of a problem. It's probably someone like Bowser, who also has armor frames but can last a long time and is solid in the air and on the ground.

VileFC3S

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KookiDowgRX-7
I would also like add into the Little Mac crowd in regards to this thread. Not that it's a bad thing though. He has really good speed along with his A-tilts that a lot of new entry-level peeps could get used to. He's kind of a go home or go hard character for me personally though. Once you realize that you can't just keep playing offensively you'll get punish very easily.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
:4sheik:

Very easy, and she's amazing.
I should have mentioned Sheik as well. I wouldn't say Sheik is easy though. Just that against mid/lower level players, the needles are absolutely devastating in this game. Higher level though, you really need to be good at stringing her aerials which I wouldn't say is overly easy, it takes moderate skill. Sheik is also difficult to KO with at times.

Morbi

Scavenger
Jigglypuff, the antithesis of Little Mac, is by far the easiest character to pick up and play well with. Little Mac needs to build meter for his nearly worthless KO Punch, what about Jigglypuff? Jigglypuff says, "ain't nobody got time fo dat!" Little Mac is superior at controlling the ground, Jigglypuff is dominant in the air. He has to be careful approaching, she does not. Not only that, she has a fairly safe tool to pressure shields and her throws are decent, I believe she can convert off of them quite easily. She beats Little Mac by merit of her play-style and her "KO Punch" is much more accessible, she is also much more cute.

Therefore, Jigglypuff is the Queen of Smash. :4jigglypuff:

link2702

Smash Champion
Title says it all. Who do you think is the easiest character to pick up and be good with?

What do you think?
little mac is really going to only be good in for glory mode. The final destination only aspect of it basically gives him his best stage in all matchups. Little mac being put in a situation where platforms are around, causes him to lose his boogyman status, and he becomes a joke.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
Little Mac, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, all Fire Emblem characters, Charizard.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Mario, Little Mac, Bowser, Charizard, Lucina and the casual's top tier god that sucks ***, Ike.

Little Mac, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, all Fire Emblem characters, Charizard.
Duck Hunt requires a lot of camping and zoning skills to play him well. Begginers just want to rush and smack people down, Duck Hunt is not good at that. Robin is not that noob friendly either. Everybody that has ever played Yoshi was killed by side B.

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
Little mac is easy to do well with vs other lower skilled players. The fact that he does so much damage so easily with such properties lets you punish things much much harder than most characters can, and thus means you need fewer reads.

This falls apart vs intermediate and higher skilled opponents who know how to approach safely and properly throw you off the ledge and gimp.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
He's only gotten a passing mention in this thread, but I think Yoshi is an easy character to pick up and get good at. He has an endless variety of options, and still stays a fast, mostly intuitive character. Just to ice the cake, his horizontal recovery is suprisingly good.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I should have mentioned Sheik as well. I wouldn't say Sheik is easy though. Just that against mid/lower level players, the needles are absolutely devastating in this game. Higher level though, you really need to be good at stringing her aerials which I wouldn't say is overly easy, it takes moderate skill. Sheik is also difficult to KO with at times.
ftilt x5 on most characters and leads to lots of stuff

dthrow leads to just about everything

pretty easy imo, also yeah needles.

Last edited:

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
Little Mac is pretty easy, but you have to focus a lot more on baiting, grabs, counters, and overall good decision making in order to actually be good. He's one dimensional, so you have to sometimes work for the win especially if someone decides to get campy. Just play the ditto online and you'll see what I mean. Lot of dashing to shield, rolls, f-smash baits, etc. usually wrecks scrub macs.

But that doesn't mean he's bad on a high level. Ground game is still ridiculous and nobody is safe when you know how to play him shifty (like a boxer should be). Plenty of tournaments where he's done well. If you're a fan of college American football, it's like Auburn's running game. They only have three options, but even the best defenses have trouble guessing right. LM is sometimes just a punch you can't block.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
:4sonic: :4tlink::4sheik: :4yoshi: are all very easy characters to pick up and play. A lot of people are saying Little Mac, but I don't quite agree with that. Sure, a lot of people do immediately go for him, but it's very very unlikely they'll be able to do well with him straight away. I personally don't find Little Mac easy to play; I'm not comfortable with the playstyle required for him.I suppose Bowser is also easy to play as. Deals a lot of pain and takes a lot of hits.

Codester

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheCodester87
3DS FC
0130-1912-9132
I play an absolutely Insane little Mac game using all the discovered meta techs for him. I know other people when I match against them probably roll their eyes like "god not another mac" then I **** all over them with him. I definitely have the most fun playing with him, mind gaming using perfect pivots and shield roll cancel grabs is glorious.

Sliq

Smash Master
I think Bowser and projectile spammy characters at low level play are really good. At higher level play, it's much harder to tell, at least at this point.

Top Bottom