• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the best lucas player?

supercake

Smash Apprentice
I know the game is still new and not many tournies have been held but who do you think is the best lucas player or maybe some known pros who are going to pick up lucas? lucas wont get into any high tier unless some people start to represent. so whats going on here? whos gonna make lucas top tier?

Levitas

the moon
I haven't heard of any pros taking up lucas, unfortunately. I'm trying to do my part to keep lucas on the high side of the tier list, as are many people here.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Well, Levitas, you do have an aura of fear and pain.

I'd go with... Umm... I don't know.

GofG

Smash Champion
Ha! Levitas only scares me insofar as his avatar is nonexistant on the "Choose your avatar" page!

...I looked, I couldn't find it :(.

Skoox

Smash Cadet
The best player is probably some person who doesn't come to the boards in some far off country in a basement in his moms house.

Pai

Smash Cadet
NNID
Paestries
3DS FC
2036-7921-7608
The best player is probably some person who doesn't come to the boards in some far off country in a basement in his moms house.
*seconds that* It's so true.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
yeah it's a bit early to be looking for a pro Lucas. Wait for some bigger tournaments and we might have one. They're probably lurking around on the boards somewhere. Although Lucas seems surprisingly unpopular as a character just judging by what I've seen online. No idea why because his moveset is amazing but oh well.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Probably because Mother 3 isn't as popular as all the other games represented and Lucas doesn't have much of a hook going for him like Roy did or Ike does.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
dmbrandon has pretty much impressed the **** out of me with his lucas so far...

Apollo

BRoomer
BRoomer
Unpopular? If I remember correctly, I counted yesterday and something like 20 character threads had fewer posts (most by several hundred) than the Lucas threads.

I just started playing Mother 3 and love it. It'd be great to have it released in the states, but I won't get my hopes up.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, I haven't met anyone besides myself and the users of this forum who play Lucas. It's weird.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Alot of people like Lucas and play him. Iunno about how many main him though. He's kinda like Falcon in melee. Everybody plays him for fun but not many main him.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Unpopular? If I remember correctly, I counted yesterday and something like 20 character threads had fewer posts (most by several hundred) than the Lucas threads.
SWF is a pretty selective community, not exactly a place to look for random data sets. From what it seems with the 'play with anyone' mode, assuming that any loyal SWF member knows how to perform common advanced techniques and players that don't aren't members of SWF, I'd estimate that only about .5% of Brawl players are members of SWF.

Lucas just doesn't have that pizazz going for him that most unknowing first time players would be attracted to. Every non-gamer knows the Mario and Zelda cast, and most recreational gamers will have knowledge of the rest of the cast, with the exception of Japanese only releases, such as Fire Emblem and Mother. Even still, Marth and Roy were pretty flashy characters that attracted players, and Ness was in the only US Mother release, giving him a little credibility. Lucas doesn't have any of that going for him, so the average Lucas player probably picked him up due to prior knowledge of him or interest in more technical aspects of the game (exploits, glitches, uniqueness, etc.)

EDIT: Also, in my personal opinion, Lucas doesn't seem to have what it takes to cut anywhere above mid to high tier. Tier lists are based on common winning characters. In turn, characters that win more often do so because of a high knowledge and userbase. To complete the loop, many players tend to flock to the higher tiered characters. With a tier list for this game being developed everyday, it might be that many "pro" players have some sort of interest in Lucas, but they also know he probably won't be winning any of the major tournaments, thus using different characters to increase their chances.

Of course, there are certain people out there that strictly play uncommon characters, like Lucas may prove to be in the future, and are revered for it. That type of status, though, cannot be distinguished until after the facts that; Lucas isn't as good as half of the cast and this certain player does exceedingly well in tournaments with Lucas, moreso than other Lucas players; are already established, in which case we won't know for a good while who's decent with Lucas and who's great. Mind, this is all common sense and can be applied to any other character.

I think Simna will probably be the best Lucas. After all, he's unearthly good with PK Thunder mindgames and reading opponents. I recall when I played him in a Melee tournament sometime last year he would never fail to kill me with PK Thunder 2 while edgeguarding.

Levitas

the moon
I agree with the mid/high tier thing. But don't think that new people won't pop out of nowhere and be awesome with lucas.

And I don't think that lucas's PK Thunder is as condusive to the sort of tricks that simna liked to use as Ness's.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Iunno. I always figured Lucas as one of the better characters. As for not winning tournaments, I've won 2 pretty big ones so far with the little guy. I see him in solid high tier, definitely no lower.

GofG

Smash Champion
Simna isn't playing Lucas. he's told me several times that he believes so fervently that Ness is the better character that he won't pick up Lucas.

Foxy

Smash Master
True for many games... not for Smash.

Being a part of the community is too important, especially for a new game like Brawl. How will said person figure out the Zap Jump, Magnet Pull, Wavebouncing, and other techniques while sitting in his basement?

Moreover, well-known players WILL usually be the best from now on, as the implementation of online play and ladders allows prolific players to actually develop their gameplay very effectively due to the ability to play huge numbers of unique players and playstyles.

That said, and GofG endorsement aside, my picks for top players, and top Lucas, will be mostly based on ladder rankings as they are direct indicators of (online) tournament rankings. This was made clear in Smash Wars, where the two finalists were the number one ranked players on two of the three major competitive ladders.

The best Lucas's are probably Mekos and Diem.

Levitas

the moon
Foxy, online is not that telling. A lot of people (myself included) are opting not to go for laddders, nor online play at all.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'd prefer he stay lower tier anyway. Then when you use him against people they're less prepared. It's just like when a Fox player goes up against a good DK like Bum and gets wasted cuz they aren't expecting to lose. Either way Lucas has an amazing game and he can definetly win tourneys. Between Ness and Lucas I'd say they're about even. Although I have to say that Ness's PK Thunder blows Lucas's out of the water.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
All this talk of anyone considering Ness better than Lucas is so foreign to me. Lucas has so much more strength and control than Ness... So many better moves.

Personally, I have yet to fight a better Lucas than mine. I have been beaten, yes (I attribute some of those losses to lag, however) And by no means am I considering myself at all above average, especially this early in the game's release. Everyone here still has a lot to learn with Lucas, so it's too early to tell who the best is.

SilverChaos

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm good but I don't know how good because I have no players around me.
I consistently win With Anyone, and thouroughly defeat my friends, but I'm sure I'm not the best, or even close.

Man I need a tourney round here, really badly.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
yo i i have to say is lucas is gonna be top at least top tier...i beast on kids with him on GB...and thats knowing that lucas is one of the harder characters to play with lag...

-Mekos

Levitas

the moon
Thax, mm? I seem to recall your performance at the last UMB to be somewhat sup-par...

Lucas will not be top tier unless I've been blind for the last couple weeks and have been missing something big. He'll probably end up high or mid depending on how we do in tournaments.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
lucas is still a joke, and ill money match u sure. im juz not going to umb though.

and if i knew they eliminate people in pools i would of tried harder?

Top Bottom