• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
is ryu too hard of a character to play as a secondary? I have been thinking of picking him up multiple times but i stop really early because i think that if i main rosa and try to use ryu as a secondary it would be a bad idea since ryu is a hard character to play as. Is that correct or nah? I know Mr.R has a secondary ryu.

I am a competitive street fighter player so i do have that and he does seem really fun and cool to me, ive loved sf my whole life. The motions shouldnt be a huge deal for me, one thing thats weird is when i try to do motions and accidentally dash backwards or something,but im sure thats all stuff i can work on fixing if i actually decide to secondary ryu.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
is ryu too hard of a character to play as a secondary? I have been thinking of picking him up multiple times but i stop really early because i think that if i main rosa and try to use ryu as a secondary it would be a bad idea since ryu is a hard character to play as. Is that correct or nah? I know Mr.R has a secondary ryu.

I am a competitive street fighter player so i do have that and he does seem really fun and cool to me, ive loved sf my whole life. The motions shouldnt be a huge deal for me, one thing thats weird is when i try to do motions and accidentally dash backwards or something,but im sure thats all stuff i can work on fixing if i actually decide to secondary ryu.
At a lower level (which we are when compared to 6WX and Mr. R who secondary Ryu), it's very hard to properly secondary Ryu. The character isn't that HARD to play but in the spectrum of Smash 4, he is probably one of the hardest.

If you have strong Street Fighter experience, it might be worth picking him up (I'd honestly suggest you main him if you actually play a lot of SF) but I don't see what matchups Ryu covers for Rosalina so there really isn't a point.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
At a lower level (which we are when compared to 6WX and Mr. R who secondary Ryu), it's very hard to properly secondary Ryu. The character isn't that HARD to play but in the spectrum of Smash 4, he is probably one of the hardest.

If you have strong Street Fighter experience, it might be worth picking him up (I'd honestly suggest you main him if you actually play a lot of SF) but I don't see what matchups Ryu covers for Rosalina so there really isn't a point.
I just need a secondary for zss and mk basically, i just want someone who at least goes even with them. I think ryu does personally

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I just need a secondary for zss and mk basically, i just want someone who at least goes even with them. I think ryu does personally
ZSS vs. Ryu is even but it is a VERY weird matchup to play in all honesty. Meta Knight is weird because a lot of people think he beats Ryu and a lot of people disagree with that sentiment.

I'd probably suggest Pikachu instead of Ryu because of the advantage against ZSS but it's your choice. Ryu takes a lot of time to learn and understand. Even top Ryu players have barely developed a proper ground game because of their inherent Smash background.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
What are Ryu's safe on shield moves/good block strings?
Properly spaced bair and fair I believe are safe.
If you're on the grown and your opponent shields, try to throw in a light utilt before a heavy ftilt. Should break their shield

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So, I have a friend who is intrested in Ryu and we were wondering if there is any short cuts to the true shoryuken (forgive me I know I spelled that wrong) what are all the orginal street fighter inputs for all his specials?

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
So, I have a friend who is intrested in Ryu and we were wondering if there is any short cuts to the true shoryuken (forgive me I know I spelled that wrong) what are all the orginal street fighter inputs for all his specials?
My Smash Corner made a great video and showcases the three ways that TSRK can be inputted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Xl4NGdeSg

The true inputs can be found on Ryu's page on the Nintendo Super Smash Bros. website. True Shoryuken is: Forward -> Down -> Down-Forward then A or B
True Tatsumaki Senpukyaku is: Down -> Down-Back -> Back then A or B
True Hadoken is: Down -> Down-Forward -> Forward then A or B

showmeyaryuken

Smash Rookie
What are Ryu's safe on shield moves/good block strings?
My favorite safe approach is fastfall nair → dtilt 1 string, it's completely safe on block as far as I know and if any dtilt connects you can follow up with dtilt 2/tatsumaki/shoryuken depending on %age and distance. Basically, dtilt1 is always safe and fastfall nair is safe, so they're a great together for pressure.

Beware the mistake of thinking utilt 1 is a safe. If you keep jamming it on block you WILL get shieldgrabbed.

Question: which secondary best complements Ryu's harder matchups? I haven't got to that point yet since my Ryu still needs a ton of work, but it's good to know.

Last edited:

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Question: which secondary best complements Ryu's harder matchups? I haven't got to that point yet since my Ryu still needs a ton of work, but it's good to know.
Honestly, there is no best secondary for Ryu. Ryu, in his current metagame state, loses to 0 characters on the CSS. People believe that he struggles with a few characters, though. These include:
:4megaman:, :4pacman:, :4pikachu:, :rosalina:, :4sonic:, :4yoshi:, and :4dk:.

I believe all of these are even so I don't need or use a secondary. If you struggle with any of these matchups, you should pick up a secondary that covers the most of what you struggle with or the specific one you struggle with. That could be from :4metaknight: (beats Rosalina) to :4zss: (destroys DK). Honestly your secondary is personal preference. I'd say the current best secondaries are Meta Knight, ZSS, Sheik (duh) and Ike (covers Pikachu and Sonic).

showmeyaryuken

Smash Rookie
Honestly, there is no best secondary for Ryu. Ryu, in his current metagame state, loses to 0 characters on the CSS. People believe that he struggles with a few characters, though. These include:
:4megaman:, :4pacman:, :4pikachu:, :rosalina:, :4sonic:, :4yoshi:, and :4dk:.

I believe all of these are even so I don't need or use a secondary. If you struggle with any of these matchups, you should pick up a secondary that covers the most of what you struggle with or the specific one you struggle with. That could be from :4metaknight: (beats Rosalina) to :4zss: (destroys DK). Honestly your secondary is personal preference. I'd say the current best secondaries are Meta Knight, ZSS, Sheik (duh) and Ike (covers Pikachu and Sonic).
Trela seems to have a hard time with really good Sonics and Rosalumas like 6WX and Dabuz, though partly that's because 6WX and Dabuz are incredibly good at smash. I think it'll be a great lesson for me to try countermeasures against defensive characters, but I also like MK so I think he'd be a good addition to my roster.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Trela seems to have a hard time with really good Sonics and Rosalumas like 6WX and Dabuz, though partly that's because 6WX and Dabuz are incredibly good at smash. I think it'll be a great lesson for me to try countermeasures against defensive characters, but I also like MK so I think he'd be a good addition to my roster.
Sometimes a player can have problem matchups that actually aren't bad for the character themselves. Trela struggles with :4sonic: because he often gets impatient and just wants to hit the opponent when he's 60% down. Furthermore, he hops around like he is :4sheik: which is really bad because one mistimed jump is a big punish for Sonic. Staying grounded, being patient and keeping a level head are key in the Sonic matchup. It is definitely even.

Yeah, most people think :rosalina: is a problem matchup for us but people often use FA way too much and get absolutely destroyed by her 'multi-hit' U-Air (because of Luma, obviously). She dies extremely early (make sure you use Jab 1 or Cr.LK to confirm because she falls out of C.LP) which is great for us and we can rack up 70% like it is nothing. I think it could be in her favour but only slightly, not enough to make a big difference. I talked with a few :4ryu: mains, including the famed EmblemLord and the resounding opinion was that :4cloud2: is by far the best secondary for Ryu. Covers his 'worse' matchups like :4pikachu: (I think it is even though lol) and others and is also very easy to pick up. If you enjoy playing him, a roster of :4ryu:/:4cloud2: is absolutely amazing.

showmeyaryuken

Smash Rookie
Sometimes a player can have problem matchups that actually aren't bad for the character themselves. Trela struggles with :4sonic: because he often gets impatient and just wants to hit the opponent when he's 60% down. Furthermore, he hops around like he is :4sheik: which is really bad because one mistimed jump is a big punish for Sonic. Staying grounded, being patient and keeping a level head are key in the Sonic matchup. It is definitely even.

Yeah, most people think :rosalina: is a problem matchup for us but people often use FA way too much and get absolutely destroyed by her 'multi-hit' U-Air (because of Luma, obviously). She dies extremely early (make sure you use Jab 1 or Cr.LK to confirm because she falls out of C.LP) which is great for us and we can rack up 70% like it is nothing. I think it could be in her favour but only slightly, not enough to make a big difference. I talked with a few :4ryu: mains, including the famed EmblemLord and the resounding opinion was that :4cloud2: is by far the best secondary for Ryu. Covers his 'worse' matchups like :4pikachu: (I think it is even though lol) and others and is also very easy to pick up. If you enjoy playing him, a roster of :4ryu:/:4cloud2: is absolutely amazing.
You raise some great points about problem matchups, and I agree that Trela can be too focused on rushdown despite Ryu's reasonable spacing and baiting tools, which is a problem I also have but have recently been working on with some good results. As it turns out I already love playing :4cloud:anyway so that's pretty awesome to hear! :4cloud:is also way easier to use in terms of technical execution and still has that meaty, satisfying punish game, though I like the :4ryu: punish game more. I'll start dividing my time up in training mode.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Hey ryu mains, I'd like your opinion on finding a second to fight you guys with.

I main Marth and I have immense problems against you, even after buffs. You guys could probably win with nothing but spaced bairs in the MU. It feels awkward, even more awkward than a Marth ditto. You guys control the stage with hadukens and fair/Bair and it makes it really hard to get in despite maximizing Marth's mobility options. Then when I actually can get in shoryuken tends to kill me early.

So I'm considering using a second just for this MU. This isn't something that I have really ever done before; usually I can deal with Marth's worst MUs. Even in brawl Marth had a 20-80 that I still did okay in. Learning the MU is something that I have always considered extremely important, and the worst MUs got the most practice.

But here I am scratching my head. I can't find the openings. 9/10 close matches end on a shoryuken. Sure Marth has some tools in this specific MU that can be utilized, but you guys REALLY overpower those niches.

I main all Marth clones, Mewtwo and Zelda. I've started learning cloud and corrin but I am seriously lost here. You guys have a weird character for sure.

Also, whenever I get the Marth MU thread back running, I'd like to invite your best to join a giant crew battle labbing thing to theorize the MU and also gather results data.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
can ryu do true input shoryuken backwards or b reverse it? so do a true srk and while facing away from the stage turn around and recover

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
can ryu do true input shoryuken backwards or b reverse it? so do a true srk and while facing away from the stage turn around and recover
Yes, you can B-Reverse it.

Input TSRK + A, then move the control stick the opposite way of the input. It is quite a quick input that you need to do but with some practice, you should be fine.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Yes, you can B-Reverse it.

Input TSRK + A, then move the control stick the opposite way of the input. It is quite a quick input that you need to do but with some practice, you should be fine.

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
so basically ryu is a character that you need to play like actually street fighter. He is just so hard to use and he might be one off those character that I might need to spend more time with honestly. Like one of the guides said you need to play him slowly and wait for opportunities to attack and get combo strings.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
so basically ryu is a character that you need to play like actually street fighter. He is just so hard to use and he might be one off those character that I might need to spend more time with honestly. Like one of the guides said you need to play him slowly and wait for opportunities to attack and get combo strings.
Well you don't play him exactly like Street Fighter, because well, he's not IN Street Fighter. His aerial game is used more in Smash 4 but it is overused at the moment and the ground game for Ryu hasn't really developed that far.

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
Well you don't play him exactly like Street Fighter, because well, he's not IN Street Fighter. His aerial game is used more in Smash 4 but it is overused at the moment and the ground game for Ryu hasn't really developed that far.
Yeah I see what you mean. He is so freaking impossible for me to use at optimal level with other characters that I use. I especially have a tough time with character like marth and ike that have disjoints but maybe thats just me. I am a fraud with ryu rn but I am not the only one.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Yeah I see what you mean. He is so freaking impossible for me to use at optimal level with other characters that I use. I especially have a tough time with character like marth and ike that have disjoints but maybe thats just me. I am a fraud with ryu rn but I am not the only one.
Not going to lie when I say that I struggle with playing ANY other character after I've played Ryu after a few games. I can switch to :4cloud2: pretty easily but I don't play him in tournament. Solo-Ryu main boyzzz

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Quick question but do Ryu mains, top level or not, use True Shoryuken or do they often opt for just the normal one? Do you guys do True shoryukens off combos? or.....

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Quick question but do Ryu mains, top level or not, use True Shoryuken or do they often opt for just the normal one? Do you guys do True shoryukens off combos? or.....
The only combo that Shoryuken is used out of is heavy U-Tilt -> SRK, and in this situation, the true input does 1 more percent. The only other times are OOS where TSRK cannot be inputted and off-stage because you have to fast-fall in order to get TSRK.

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
Not going to lie when I say that I struggle with playing ANY other character after I've played Ryu after a few games. I can switch to :4cloud2: pretty easily but I don't play him in tournament. Solo-Ryu main boyzzz
Yeah :4cloud: is pretty easy for me to get in with and he is my main along with :4zss:. Although I have had issues using her on wifi though with smash ladders but that's just me. Ryu is a character that interests me though I just can't use him to save my life. I guess I should watch more Trela or maybe do some friendlies with him.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
I've searched 'ledge' in every page of the Q&A and not found my question, so here it is:

What causes a recovering Shoryuken to either snap or overshoot the ledge?
After testing it seemed like only the very end of the Shoryuken was able to snap to the ledge, but I was also able to snap 'earlier' into the Shoryuken by sliding up the slope of a stage such as battlefield.

I just want to be certain. I put off learning exactly how the ledge snap worked, and I finally ate a PK Flash today for my hubris.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Hello Ryu mains!
I've been looking at Ryu and I've been leaning towards buying him (or Roy). However I am completely comfortable using my main Corrin. Is it worth getting Ryu and using him as a secondary even if he has high learning curve? And how hard is it doing inputs on the 3DS in general?

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Hello Ryu mains!
I've been looking at Ryu and I've been leaning towards buying him (or Roy). However I am completely comfortable using my main Corrin. Is it worth getting Ryu and using him as a secondary even if he has high learning curve? And how hard is it doing inputs on the 3DS in general?
I learnt how to do Ryu's inputs on the 3DS and it isn't THAT hard but it does take a while to get used to them. For 3DS only play, I'd probably suggest that you pick up whatever character you enjoy the most and I'm not exactly sure that would be Ryu because I don't know your playstyle. I found him just as fun on the 3DS as I did the Wii U version when I purchased it but I play him and only him.

As a secondary, I honestly wouldn't recommend him because of his ridiculous amount of options and how long it takes to learn him. He is an absolute fantastic character though, so who knows, you might be lucky. Overall it is your choice but because of my bias, you should DEFINITELY buy him. It's Ryu!

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I've searched 'ledge' in every page of the Q&A and not found my question, so here it is:

What causes a recovering Shoryuken to either snap or overshoot the ledge?
After testing it seemed like only the very end of the Shoryuken was able to snap to the ledge, but I was also able to snap 'earlier' into the Shoryuken by sliding up the slope of a stage such as battlefield.

I just want to be certain. I put off learning exactly how the ledge snap worked, and I finally ate a PK Flash today for my hubris.
The first half of SRK won't snap consistently so yes, it is pretty much the late part. When it 'drags' against a stage, it snaps more consistently but I wouldn't recommend that because if you get B-Air'd, it will be untechable. You can also do the short version if you don't want to drop super deep. That snaps much earlier then the fierce SRK.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I'm thinking about getting Street Fighter 5 for several reasons: I've never played SF (or too many fighting games in general other than Smash), and I think playing it will give me the mindset to succeed with Ryu in Smash 4. Will SF teach me the mindset to win with him (or at least play better) in Smash? Or am I better off practicing with him in Smash only?

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
The only other times are OOS where TSRK cannot be inputted and off-stage because you have to fast-fall in order to get TSRK.
This is misleading. TSRK can be buffered out of second hop for recovery. You can infact land the input without fast falling.

(I'm only mentioning it because I believed you, tried it anyway, and managed to do it without fast falling)

Last edited:

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
This is misleading. TSRK can be buffered out of second hop for recovery. You can infact land the input without fast falling.

(I'm only mentioning it because I believed you, tried it anyway, and managed to do it without fast falling)
I kind-of misworded what I was trying to convey. Obviously if you are travelling up and not at the peak of your jump you won't fastfall. Any other time you will, though.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I do have some questions. First off, since the very beginning,:4ryu:was a character that I couldn't play due to the big requirements of technical skill. However, as time went on, the more I play him, the more I start to get a general understanding about the character. I already picked up my mains, but I want to consider Ryu in my top 5 (the 5 being:4mario::4shulk::4megaman::4ryu:and(:4samus:or:4corrinf:)). Now, I really do love him and how rewarding Ryu is, and I wanted to start playing the Street Fighter games. I'm planning to play and start with Street Fighter 2 soon since I heard it's pretty close to Ryu's moveset in Smash:
1) Does Ryu play similarly to his Smash appearance in SF2? Does he have the same moves and same button imputs?
2) Does Ryu have a high APM gameplay and relies on heavy button executions just like :foxmelee:?
3) Can Ryu be played the same way as Mario? I tried to play the same way, but I don't know if it works...?

Thanks for answering these questions. I appreciate it. XD SHORYUKEN BOYS!

PzaInACup

Smash Rookie
Yo (first post!) I've been playing smash 4 for a while, originally was a luigi main then stopped playing and when i came back i picked up ryu. I'm feeling pretty good with him, but having trouble getting grabs with him in the ground game. Anyone have any tips for grab setups? I feel like i can apply the pressure i just don't know when to run in and grab. Also what r the right followups for the right percentages? I know low % theres an uair 50/50 string but dont know much else

Heracr055

Smash Ace
@PzalnACup:

I find slow Hadouken (blue) and slow Shakunetsu Hadounken (red) to be excellent tools in setting up grabs. At mid-close range (grounded) I use these to see what the foe does. If they like to shield them, you can follow the slow variants and grab them. Against short hopping foes, you can use the blue Hadouken to stuff their approach and even grab them on hit. If they air dodge, you can usually grab them too.
As for combos, I suggest looking at the Fundamentals thread and Metagame Discussion threads. There's all kinds of useful info there (especially Emblem Lord posts), so I highly recommend taking a look!

Zakhara

Smash Rookie
Apologies for the slight necro, but I figured I'd help a brother out.

1) Does Ryu play similarly to his Smash appearance in SF2? Does he have the same moves and same button imputs?
2) Does Ryu have a high APM gameplay and relies on heavy button executions just like :foxmelee:?
3) Can Ryu be played the same way as Mario? I tried to play the same way, but I don't know if it works...?

Thanks for answering these questions. I appreciate it. XD SHORYUKEN BOYS!
I used to play Super Street Fighter II Turbo somewhat frequently, so I'm not the most qualified person to answer, but I'll do my best:

1.) Yes and no. Street Fighter heavily discourages jumping (no air dodges or multiple aerials), and the Focus Attack is only a part of his moveset in SFIV. If you intend to learn Street Fighter, I'd recommend II and V--IV is pretty technical, and I'd argue that Focus Attacks teach beginners bad habits. Practicing FADC just for Smash isn't the worst idea ever, though.
On the other hand, Ryu's moveset has been locked in since SFII. To change the hadouken/shoryuken/tatsumaki inputs by this point would be heresy, so you won't need to relearn him from the ground up. That's kind of Ryu's gimmick--consistency.
Ultimately, he's only similar to his SFII self in broad strokes. His moves are the same, but Smash Bros. causes them to be used very differently (if you like hopping a lot, try King of Fighters, it's great for air play).

2.) No. Ryu is flexible, moderate, and methodical. He's not remotely in Fox territory in terms of execution--once you're comfortable with the true inputs you'll find that he can switch between offense and defense without lots of APM. I'm of the understanding that beginners find the DP motion difficult, but trust me when I say that after you're used to it you wouldn't have it any other way (and the input shortcuts help a lot).
This is more true in the actual Street Fighter series--I find the pressure-sensitive attack strengths in Smash Bros. unintuitive, but you may find that style easier to learn. Experiment.

3.) Ehhhhhh. Mario is based on him, so it's more a matter of how they integrate into the Smash Bros. style. Mario was made for it, Ryu participates in it. Mario, being "Smashier", is more likely to close distance and combo you from throws. Ryu's throw game is weaker here, and his style is transplanted SF--control the opponent's movement with hadouken, and fish for hits from his normals into ground combos. Mario has a simpler moveset--Ryu has tons of buttons--and he's pretty small. His fireballs don't control space conventionally with all their bouncing, and since their range is short I would argue that Mario takes advantage of stages and closes distance more regularly than Ryu does. Ryu's gameplan is broader, and his traditional style doesn't translate perfectly from SF to Smash Bros., so it'll take more time to adapt to something workable with him.
TL;DR pick Mario if you like to throw and go in, use Ryu for more traditional zoning and deadlier combos when they land.

Hope some of this helps. It's always exciting to see Street Fighter and Smash Bros. players cross the streams.

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
If you hit a counter (specifically Witch Time) with a held up or down tilt, can you still cancel it with a special? This might help a lot say, the bayo is charging up smash and you just tsrk outta there or focus it.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
If you hit a counter (specifically Witch Time) with a held up or down tilt, can you still cancel it with a special? This might help a lot say, the bayo is charging up smash and you just tsrk outta there or focus it.
You can, you just have to be really quick. A good Bayonetta probably wouldn't give you the chance though. Or they might be aware of the tactic and hit you from behind or break up focus quickly.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Hey Guys, I am currently leaning towards maining Ryu, however I wonder if my old characters, Mewtwo and Lucas, make good secondaries for him. Any opinions on the subject? :)

Flqn

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble with the sourspot f-air --> footstool --> n-air, specifically with the n-air. Whenever the n-air hits it doesn't jab lock but it just hits them and there just laying there on the ground. What am I doing wrong?

Top Bottom