• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who here has beaten someone with better technical skill than you?

red stone

Smash Ace
have you ever faced someone that could do crazy infinites, tech like a maniac, do frame perfect l-cancels, perform amazing combos, and just had faster fingers than you?

yet somehow, you were able to beat them............

i'm just asking to see if it was possible if a person is able to analyze an opponent who has better technical skill than him/her and be able to use that analysis to predict and counter their opponent's movement and attack patterns.

is it possible to use mindgames on a technically higher skilled opponent to such a high degree as to defeat this opponent even when you can't beat them in things like faster l-canceling, ledge teching, infinites, and the like.

this is somewhat hypothetical since normally, if a person has better technical skills than you, they usually have equally good mindgame skills.

i hope i explained my question clearly enough and it's not just gibberish to you all.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I got 1 stock off of koreandj when playing friendlies with him the night before CAT3, due to a lucky stage-spike...does that count? :)

I have, for real though: back when I couldn't even WD well and couldn't L-cancel I could occasionally beat one of my friends who could.

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
i have beaten several FL smashers who have better technical skill than me... although i do know how to do the tech stuff... they just have a much much better understanding of tech skill.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Tech skill has nothing to do with mindgames. I've beaten lots of people with better tech skill that just plain play dumb.. It's possible to beat people with mindgames if they have tech skill. Just takes practice.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
lol. well i can say the opposite about this match. i have tech skill and lcancels and combos and all that but i lost one match agaisnt my friend out of like 150 maybe this past week rofl.

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
I am also on the other end of this. I have been working on my L-cancels and WD and all that. Yet I got beat a few times by my friend who knows none of these things. It is probably one of the most irritating things I can think of. But it shows you alot about your game...mainly how predictable I am. Gotta work on that.

Impp

Smash Ace
My dude at a tournament beat someone else with far superior tech skills. Like
my dude don't short hop, wavedash, l-cancel or even do forward or up tilts. He plays as Falco. The guy he was playing is known for being pretty good in the local community. Some guys there were kinda shocked. Don't get me wrong. My friend plays an alright game for not using anything advanced. He's alright at anticipating attacks and he's picked up alot a mind game tactics that just come from playing the game for a long time. But It was funny though, the other guy got pissed and walked out of the building.

Duha

Smash Journeyman
I don't really have technical skill but i play jiggly and peach so i really dont need them as much. I am the best in durango and everyone has better techs then me they just don't have any mindgames

offcell

Smash Apprentice
You can't get anywhere if you don't know what's happening around you. Some people sometimes get caught up doing all these adv. techniques and aren't concentrating on the fight. That's probably how they end up losing. That or they're not using the techs to their advantage but simply just doing them. You need to know when to apply these things.

I play with friends in my area who play Smash for fun so they only know the basics. (WD, edgeguard/hog, shff(I don't think they can l-cancel yet)) I wrote that response from my own experience. I try to be flashy because I know I can beat them, and then end up losing. (mostly waveshine suicides)

turner

Smash Cadet
I don't tech wd or any of that but i can still beat my mates who do all that stuff and obsess over the game and advance techniques and that shiz.

offcell

Smash Apprentice
That's good. My friend, who plays Roy/Marth, used to beat me because he just knew when to swipe that sword. I was WD'ing and shorthop aerial'ing all over the place and couldn't seem to get him. Your friends obviously do not know how to apply them techniques if they couldn't beat you :/

But hey, I think some people can go really far without learning that stuff so kudos to you man.

GuyverProxy

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah

I do it all the time. Having all the technique doesn't mean you'll win every time. The one Link I play against will be wavedashing all over the place throwing crap while I just stare at him. Then I run up and him and swipe him like nothing. Now that's a mind game for ya.

offcell

Smash Apprentice
He was so full of himself he forgot to block, lol. Some people just get so aggressive, blocking just slips their mind :p

offcell

Smash Apprentice
Lol, sometimes I get jab and tilt happy, and that seems to work.

But then again, maybe it's just the lon lon milk.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Back when I first found out about competitive smash I never used wavedashing or any of that because I never heard of it I did fine against some of the locals that were technical but when I entered a tournament I found I needed technical skill. Over all having good timing and knowledge of the moves > technical skill (i'm not saying you don't need technical skill so don't flame me)

GuyverProxy

Smash Rookie
It's all about Marth's Poke of Doom!!! Everybody gets pissed off when I run up to the ledge and start poking at thier hands hahah.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
im kinda on the recieving end of that statement, meaning that i do have technical skill (i.e. wavedash, teching, short hop et.), but my friend just knows the game better, and he does none of the above stuff except for short hops, and still manages to hold up a very nice game and beat me

turner

Smash Cadet
well i played my mate who uses fox so i picked fox aswell cos well why not. I beat hm with out using any technical skills he beat me but that was mainly cos my sister attacked me lol but but yeh i would have beat him aswell the only thing i did that could be classed as advanced move was i used reflector on him to stop the w/d ^^

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
if your tech skill is greater than your friends, but he still beats you fairly often, I suspect the following: 1) he has been playing the game significantly longer than you 2) you recently learned and applied the advanced techs 3) both

shffling is necessary if you are playing competitively, whether you need to wd varies by character (i.e. the ability to wavedash does not necessarily suggest great tech skill). if you are beating someone who has better tech skill than you, and you don't have the tech skill, then they probably just aren't all that good.

turner

Smash Cadet
not totally true if you cant read your oponant and dont have some general idea of what thier going to do next then tech skill wont help much at all

Miharu

Smash Hero
I think the TC was referring to average techskill vs. insane techskill, and not so much as no techskill vs. average techskill.

I, for example, have average techskill. Zhu, who I play with regularly, has ****ING INSANE TECHSKILL. I manage to beat him once in awhile.

Banks

Smash Hero
its possible to have tech skill and totally suck, and less possible to have no tech skill and be good. but still i guess it could happen

DuKe™

Smash Journeyman
lol i beat a fox that does some crazy **** he can pin shine forever waveshine till no end insane isai like shuffles but i always get him with mindgames or some unflawed strategy plus sometimes i get pretty cheap but i know for sure that guy has more technical skill then me

Duha

Smash Journeyman
High tech skill+mind games>low tech skill+mind games>high tech skill+no mind games=No tech skill+mindgames>low tech skills+no mind games>no tech skills+no mindgames

this is a simple formula to help you better understand the pecking order.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
Everyone I have ever played :D
actually 90 pecent of people I play have more technical skill than me
but I still manage to win most of the time
tech skill is really important
but they lack creativity with what they are doing
so its easy to see what they are going to do next

Top Bottom