• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who here has beaten someone with better technical skill than you?

Linguini

Smash Master
Um......pretty much everyone ive ever beaten or played has had better tech skill than me since I play ganon which doesn't require much.

Elen

Smash Lord
Sure but only due to counterpicking. I don't play many people with better tech skill than me however, since mine is pretty high up there. I get owned all the time by people with worse tech skill though. It's very much possible lol.

A_mArIo

Smash Cadet
My friend can officially tech anything at anytime(trust me,Im just to lazy to type in the expirement we did) and can wd across FD with peach...yet I beat him most of the time. As stated before multiple times in this topic, good Tech skill<mindgames.

Zodiac

Smash Master
My dude at a tournament beat someone else with far superior tech skills. Like
my dude don't short hop, wavedash, l-cancel or even do forward or up tilts. He plays as Falco. The guy he was playing is known for being pretty good in the local community. Some guys there were kinda shocked. Don't get me wrong. My friend plays an alright game for not using anything advanced. He's alright at anticipating attacks and he's picked up alot a mind game tactics that just come from playing the game for a long time. But It was funny though, the other guy got pissed and walked out of the building.
thats probablly because your friend noobishly and the tech guy was like WTF! Somthing about playing noobs throws you off.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
I beat the KSSB for the first time today. He's got like **** good tech skills (ain't no character he can't play at least somewhat on a good level) and has been playing pracitcally since the game came out, if not longer than that, and yet me, with very little tech skill and I don't know if I used any mindgames brought it down to 94% on his last stock my Jiggly vs. his Falcon, and then somehow I ended the 26-char challenge at Young Link... Young Link, of all characters, I beat, when normally his Young Link just totally ***** my Puff.

I wish we were recording; I can't even remember anything about that match other than that it was in Dreamland 64.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think I have, the guy plays Ganon and at first he was moving faster than most GDs [noob GDs] I've played, then I realized he was L-cancelling.

I still managed to beat him a few times.

Banks

Smash Hero
I beat KDJ a couple times, doesnt mean **** really. people gotta lose sometime if you play them enough. you can lose to like a ****ty Game and watch eventually if you play them for hours

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Who else here beat someone who'd be able to 4 stock you with their main, when they were playing a character that they probably don't play? *raises hand*

Seriously, it doesn't matter if you can beat someone who was sandbagging.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
I say this w/the expectation of being flamed but here goes. This thread is a bit suspicious to me, b/c I can't help but feel like it is the manifestation of insecurities regarding tech skill and/or the failure to learn/execute "advanced tactics."

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Shade puts his hand way up high

Of course I have. Technical skills aren't everything you know. Playin Smash Bros. is like putting together a difficult puzzle. You have to put all the right "pieces" together in the right place in order to complete it. In other words, other than techincal skills, you have to use mind games, combo linkers, your patiented strategies, and you can't have butterflies in your stomach. If you can do this then it will be a rare occasion where you'll be defeated.

Banks

Smash Hero
it doesnt matter how good you are, you are gonna get beaten by some people who arent as good as you sometime, because no one is perfectly consistent.

0rion

Smash Journeyman
Ha! Yeah right! If you bring ya A game all of the time then there'$ no chance in Hade$ that anyone can beat you unless the guy you're facing is PC Chris. For a select few of us "Smash Elitists" this "game" of Smash is meant not to be amusing ya dig? When ya come to thi$ realization you'll rarely be handed a defeat (well, tournament wi$e anyway) like my brother $hade put so well.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@shade: i agree that tech skill isn't the be all end all of smash, but i disagree w/your final statement b/c you are assuming that at your best you are the best [not you specifically]. this is only applicable to a handful of people.

@Orion: that is ridiculous, b/c no brings their A game all the time; don't pretend that you do. In this game, consistency is achieved via tech skill. no, it won't win matches on its own but you will find little success w/o it.

anyway, the title of this thread is a bit trivial. if you play this game a lot, i would hope that there have been a few occasions where you have beaten someone w/more tech skill than you, and for that matter someone who is just better than you. however, you shouldn't be celebrating a singular or rare occurences. if you consistently beat players w/better tech skill than you then i applaud you, but i would wonder about the disparity between your tech skills. i believe that the relative tech skills of most pros is comparable and this is why the "mindgames" have such a large impact on the matches. the same notion holds for amateurs and casual players. thus i don't think your mindgames will help you much if your opponent's tech skill is far superior to your own.

edit: basically, this is about margins.

Top Bottom