• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who hates the new diemond and pearl series pokemon?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
^^are you refering to the show cause that just......

anyway there are some really cool ones like Garchomp and Arceus...etc. But then theres ugly likiliky (when I found there was a hord of likitungs I went and caught 2 so the one that would soon become likiliky would be sent to the far corners of the PC).

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I think the fourth generation is one of the best. I wished they would make more fire pokes, though. I admit that some Pokemon aren't that good. Gallade has freaking humongous hips, Lumineon is a generic, useless fish (like Seaking), Chatot is a generic, useless bird (like farfetchd), Purugly is a generic, fat cat (like Garfield). In addition, Gastrodon is a ripoff Quagsire and Whiscash, Mothim is a ripoff Venomoth and/or generic flying bug type (there are too many), Pachirisu is another useless electric type. There's just so many unusable pokemon in d/p. If the Pokemon has no use, then it almost feels like there's one less Pokemon.

But, certain Pokemon got much cooler evolutions (save for Tangrowth and Lickilicky), while others were left behind. Electrode would've been awesome with an evolution...! Okay, maybe not. Dugtrio would've looked pretty cool as a giant mole tank surrounded by tiny Diglets ^^. Sandslash would be pretty beast if he evolved too. Imagine an evolved Wailord :o. Or maybe Camerupt. Muk and Weezing could use evolutions too. New evolutions brings a new light to Pokemon that weren't used before (except for Probopass who's typing still sucks). More legendaries also lures younger Pokemon players to buy the game. If only Shaymin wasn't so crappy...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There's only one Pokemon I have an extreme issue with; Probopass.

Seriously, why would you make a NOSE POKEMON?! And then give it an EVOLUTION!?

Does this bother anyone else intensely?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
^^are you refering to the show cause that just......

anyway there are some really cool ones like Garchomp and Arceus...etc. But then theres ugly likiliky (when I found there was a hord of likitungs I went and caught 2 so the one that would soon become likiliky would be sent to the far corners of the PC).
Lickylicky is the ****s, man! He's the most badass Pokemon of the fourth gen, PLUS he get's THE MOST POWERFUL MOVE IN THE GAME! (stabbed explosion ftw!)

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think the fourth generation is one of the best. I wished they would make more fire pokes, though. I admit that some Pokemon aren't that good. Gallade has freaking humongous hips, Lumineon is a generic, useless fish (like Seaking), Chatot is a generic, useless bird (like farfetchd), Purugly is a generic, fat cat (like Garfield). In addition, Gastrodon is a ripoff Quagsire and Whiscash, Mothim is a ripoff Venomoth and/or generic flying bug type (there are too many), Pachirisu is another useless electric type. There's just so many unusable pokemon in d/p. If the Pokemon has no use, then it almost feels like there's one less Pokemon.

But, certain Pokemon got much cooler evolutions (save for Tangrowth and Lickilicky), while others were left behind. Electrode would've been awesome with an evolution...! Okay, maybe not. Dugtrio would've looked pretty cool as a giant mole tank surrounded by tiny Diglets ^^. Sandslash would be pretty beast if he evolved too. Imagine an evolved Wailord :o. Or maybe Camerupt. Muk and Weezing could use evolutions too. New evolutions brings a new light to Pokemon that weren't used before (except for Probopass who's typing still sucks). More legendaries also lures younger Pokemon players to buy the game. If only Shaymin wasn't so crappy...
Very well put. When it comes to Pokemon types, I think that if they introduce another batch of monsters, they should balance out the types a bit more. The majority of Pokemon are grass, ground, water, or normal. Yes, this reflects the natural, real world quite a bit, and that's probably what they are going for (with types like fire, electric, ghost, dark, and steel not appearing as much because they aren't so 'natural' or do not occur as much, I suppose). However, this greatly offsets the Pokemon 'kingdom' - in reference to the animal kingdom of our world. If they want to balance the types of Pokemon, then they should rewrite all of the stats; strengths, weaknesses, resistances, etc. Pokemon types that appear less should either: a) have more defense against certain types, b) have more advantages over certain types, or c) a mix of both.

Just to put it into perspective: grass obviously breaks up ground, rock, and absorbs water in real life. However, when fire comes around, it can do damage to almost anything. It can burn the grass, scorch the ground/rock, and even boil water into steam. Yes, boiling water does not harm the water, but rather transforms it into a heated liquid and a gas (as steam). I propose the idea that there are many more factors as to what Pokemon can be strong and weak against. To elaborate on the fire->water battle: most water Pokemon live in temperate water, but some live in really cold water. Fire should have a stronger effect on those that live in colder water. However, if there was a Pokemon that lived in really warm water like a hot spring (maybe there is, correct me if I'm wrong) then it may have a stronger defense against the fire type than its water-based cousins in temperate and cold water climates.

Adding many more type-related factors like the above-listed would expand the battle-style substantially, changing it about 180 degrees. Players would have to learn about Pokemon, where they live, their lifestyles etc. to really know how to use the Pokemon. It should be much more than just what moves the Pokemon can learn. Actually - and I will say this in high regards - Pokemon should not be based around battling any longer. After much discussion with all of you on this topic over the course of this thread, I feel that it is not the repetition of Pokemon themselves that have grown to bore us, but it is the fact that it's always about battling, and the system has not matured much at all since the original games; the system not just of battling, but that the entire game is written around - gyms, badges, opposing "team", elite four, etc. It's tiresome. Pokemon needs to grow up substantially. We are not attached to the games anymore because we do not feel really attached to the Pokemon anymore. We certainly were in the R&B days because everything was new and that's how we could feel emotionally attached to the Pokemon. But at this point, we have already done that over and over and over. We need to do many more things with the Pokemon besides capturing them out of the wild, and battling with them. We need many more activities to do with them - activities as innovative and exciting as battling should be. It would certainly branch away from the fighting base tenfold.

As Ralph Waldo Emerson said many years ago, "A Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

drcossack

Smash Ace
The fourth generation had a lot of legendaries. How many were there again?.... oh yeah, like 12. The first generation and second generation only had about 6 max. I don't know... but the new legendaries(Besides darkrai and Arceus, they rock) don't seem so legendary anymore. The third generation was ok, but I liked the Johto land more. The new ones have a lot of cool evolutions though.:) But i think we could've done without such high level hard-to-get pokemon staring us in the face whenever you entered a cave. Bronzong and Abomasnow could've been a whole lot cooler.

Legendaries/Ubers in DP

Heatran
Cresselia
Uxie
Azelf
Mesprit
Dialga
Palkia
Arceus
Darkrai
Shaymin
Regigigas
Manaphy
Phione
Giratina

In R/B/Y, we had Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, and Mew
G/S/C: Suicune, Raikou, Entei, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi
R/S/E: Latios, Latias, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, the Regis, Jirachi, Deoxys

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Very well put. When it comes to Pokemon types, I think that if they introduce another batch of monsters, they should balance out the types a bit more. The majority of Pokemon are grass, ground, water, or normal. Yes, this reflects the natural, real world quite a bit, and that's probably what they are going for (with types like fire, electric, ghost, dark, and steel not appearing as much because they aren't so 'natural' or do not occur as much, I suppose). However, this greatly offsets the Pokemon 'kingdom' - in reference to the animal kingdom of our world. If they want to balance the types of Pokemon, then they should rewrite all of the stats; strengths, weaknesses, resistances, etc. Pokemon types that appear less should either: a) have more defense against certain types, b) have more advantages over certain types, or c) a mix of both.

Just to put it into perspective: grass obviously breaks up ground, rock, and absorbs water in real life. However, when fire comes around, it can do damage to almost anything. It can burn the grass, scorch the ground/rock, and even boil water into steam. Yes, boiling water does not harm the water, but rather transforms it into a heated liquid and a gas (as steam). I propose the idea that there are many more factors as to what Pokemon can be strong and weak against. To elaborate on the fire->water battle: most water Pokemon live in temperate water, but some live in really cold water. Fire should have a stronger effect on those that live in colder water. However, if there was a Pokemon that lived in really warm water like a hot spring (maybe there is, correct me if I'm wrong) then it may have a stronger defense against the fire type than its water-based cousins in temperate and cold water climates.

Adding many more type-related factors like the above-listed would expand the battle-style substantially, changing it about 180 degrees. Players would have to learn about Pokemon, where they live, their lifestyles etc. to really know how to use the Pokemon. It should be much more than just what moves the Pokemon can learn. Actually - and I will say this in high regards - Pokemon should not be based around battling any longer. After much discussion with all of you on this topic over the course of this thread, I feel that it is not the repetition of Pokemon themselves that have grown to bore us, but it is the fact that it's always about battling, and the system has not matured much at all since the original games; the system not just of battling, but that the entire game is written around - gyms, badges, opposing "team", elite four, etc. It's tiresome. Pokemon needs to grow up substantially. We are not attached to the games anymore because we do not feel really attached to the Pokemon anymore. We certainly were in the R&B days because everything was new and that's how we could feel emotionally attached to the Pokemon. But at this point, we have already done that over and over and over. We need to do many more things with the Pokemon besides capturing them out of the wild, and battling with them. We need many more activities to do with them - activities as innovative and exciting as battling should be. It would certainly branch away from the fighting base tenfold.

As Ralph Waldo Emerson said many years ago, "A Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
That's a very interesting system.

That actually sounds like it would be a fun and innovative way to mix up the battle system without changing it completely (like adding a new type, changing type advantages/disadvantages, putting in triple types) in a way which could mess it up for good.

As for it growing up, I agree. Unfortunately, now more than ever is the time it's not going to. With Nintendo's attitude of making the games for everyone, they can't make it any more complicated without fear of alienating little kids who can't understand it.

Once again, Nintendo's whole new attitude is only going to hurt old franchises, at least for the real gamers.

I'm still surprised that all of the behind-the-scenes functinos are still in there, like EVs and IVs and the like. True, you don't need to understand them to play the game, but if you can fully grasp and make use of the concept, you're going to be able to do a lot better. Since that seemed to be a problem with Smash Bros, you'd think they'd take it out of Pokemon. Stop the competitive scene there, too.

/Nintendo rant

I agree wholeheartedly. A lot of the 4th generation Pokemon are nothing new, and they really should've tried to balance types more,.. Of those that are, there are a bunch of them that just aren't useful. I really wanted to use Pachirisu (yes, I'm weird, I like squirrels...) but due to the way he was made, it wouldn't have been plausible at all.

I think a lot of the evolutions from 1st and 2nd gen were great. It was nice to see some tributes to old Pokemon that we hadn't seen in a while. Also, since they seem to be running out of ideas for Pokemon, building upon old Pokemon isn't a bad idea. Some of the 3rd generation evolutions aren't as good though...Gallade and Probopass (NOSEPASS shouldn't even have been created) mainly. They could've gotten some better evolutions though, you're right.

And yeah, the rising legendary count probably does have something to do with attracting younger players.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Legendaries/Ubers in DP

Heatran
Cresselia
Uxie
Azelf
Mesprit
Dialga
Palkia
Arceus
Darkrai
Shaymin
Regigigas
Manaphy
Phione
Giratina

In R/B/Y, we had Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, and Mew
G/S/C: Suicune, Raikou, Entei, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi
R/S/E: Latios, Latias, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, the Regis, Jirachi, Deoxys
I'm going to have to argue against you saying Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, and Deoxys count here. They are less Pokemon in the game, and rather just publicity stunts for Nintendo. The only one of these Pokemon that is capturable without hacks or Nintendo downloads is Mew, and that's only through an obscure glitch in the game.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

Interesting... However, I think that GameFreak already attempted to make another "innovative" activity besides battling: Contests.

Unfortunately, contests weren't too fun. But... I'm sure that there's something out there that would be a exciting as battling. I just don't yet know what it is! :laugh:

As for the second paragraph... I don't know about that. I think that the logic behind Water being resistant to Fire is that the Water pokemon can shoot water to put out most of the fire. Also, the same Pokemon can tolerate different water tempratures/conditions (Tentacool is found in the warmer, salty ocean, small brooks, and every bit of water in-between). How would they decide for, say, Tentacool? And what about the other types besides fire, how could they change?

Now, I'm not opposed to the idea of new weaknessess/resistances, just skeptical. Feel free to elaborate further.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Interesting... However, I think that GameFreak already attempted to make another "innovative" activity besides battling: Contests.

Unfortunately, contests weren't too fun. But... I'm sure that there's something out there that would be a exciting as battling. I just don't yet know what it is! :laugh:

As for the second paragraph... I don't know about that. I think that the logic behind Water being resistant to Fire is that the Water pokemon can shoot water to put out most of the fire. Also, the same Pokemon can tolerate different water tempratures/conditions (Tentacool is found in the warmer, salty ocean, small brooks, and every bit of water in-between). How would they decide for, say, Tentacool? And what about the other types besides fire, how could they change?

Now, I'm not opposed to the idea of new weaknessess/resistances, just skeptical. Feel free to elaborate further.
Expanding the type-relations like I said in my before post would definitely be a task to tackle. It would almost be like a broken down periodic table, and much of the calculative-action would take place behind the screen - not for the player to see, except it wouldn't be based on dice rolls or anything. If a Pokemon like Tentacool is found in pretty much any area of water, then odds are, it will just be an "average" water Pokemon - not saying that its potential power is average, but its water-type is average, and is not leaning towards cold or hot temperature. In fact, temperature has pretty much everything to do with Pokemon - and everything in the real world. Temperature slows reactions down (cold), or speeds them up (hot), and therefore, without the change in temperature, there would be no difference between things. So perhaps 'temperature' should be a new element that each Pokemon possesses (aside from their types).

Another example would be a rock Pokemon. Say that its 'temperature' is always high, so therefore, it would be less susceptible to fire, grass, ice, and water. Normally, this Pokemon would probably just be seen as a Rock/Fire type, but by expanding the "type system", the Pokemon could merely be Rock, with a high temperature, and therefore have attributes similar to a fire type, without actually being a fire type.

If you guys have read my posts in both this, and the "Future of the Games" thread, then you may have read my ideas of diversifying the Pokemon species themselves - where there may be ten different looking Pikachus - one with stripes, one with spots, one with tan fur, one with orange fur, etc, etc. This aesthetic diversity amongst every species of Pokemon would greatly expand the interest and wonder in each of them. No longer would you see the same blue Zubat over and over and over. You may see a green, a red, a purple, a grey, or maybe even a brown Zubat (all in the hue-proximity of its original blue). These variants of each species may also reveal its statistics. For instance, a Charmander with a slightly purple/green hue, or perhaps spots of the two colors on its back may show that it is slightly resistant to the poison-type, or is actually a fire/poison type itself. Pokemon would no longer be restricted to the one/two types that they always have been. You may find a Geodude that is Rock/Ice, or rather a Geodude that is Rock, but has a very low temperature and therefore shares some attributes that an Ice-type would have. Of course, the types could not be outrageous like a Fire/Ice Regice. That would just melt itself. Types such as Grass, Bug, Poison, Water, Ground, and Rock would go well together. Types like Fire, Electric, Dark, Steel, Rock, Ground, and Poison could go together. Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Electric, Poison, and Fire could go together. And Flying could probably go well together with just about anything. Those combinations just came from the top of my head, but I hope you get the point.

Anyways, there's another load of my Pokemon hopes and ideas. Talk to you guys later.
- Spire

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If you guys have read my posts in both this, and the "Future of the Games" thread, then you may have read my ideas of diversifying the Pokemon species themselves - where there may be ten different looking Pikachus - one with stripes, one with spots, one with tan fur, one with orange fur, etc, etc. This aesthetic diversity amongst every species of Pokemon would greatly expand the interest and wonder in each of them. No longer would you see the same blue Zubat over and over and over. You may see a green, a red, a purple, a grey, or maybe even a brown Zubat (all in the hue-proximity of its original blue). These variants of each species may also reveal its statistics. For instance, a Charmander with a slightly purple/green hue, or perhaps spots of the two colors on its back may show that it is slightly resistant to the poison-type, or is actually a fire/poison type itself. Pokemon would no longer be restricted to the one/two types that they always have been. You may find a Geodude that is Rock/Ice, or rather a Geodude that is Rock, but has a very low temperature and therefore shares some attributes that an Ice-type would have. Of course, the types could not be outrageous like a Fire/Ice Regice. That would just melt itself. Types such as Grass, Bug, Poison, Water, Ground, and Rock would go well together. Types like Fire, Electric, Dark, Steel, Rock, Ground, and Poison could go together. Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Electric, Poison, and Fire could go together. And Flying could probably go well together with just about anything. Those combinations just came from the top of my head, but I hope you get the point.

Anyways, there's another load of my Pokemon hopes and ideas. Talk to you guys later.
- Spire
That just blew my mind.

That is the most ingenious thing ever. When you're going through large caves where nothing but Zubats normally appear, you'd no longer get bored out of your skull; you'd say "Oh! An ice Zubat! I need to catch one of those!" Pokemon would involve much more strategy in picking the Pokemon, and it would be harder to get bored. There would be nearly infinite possibilities.

This would pose sort of a problem with legendaries, though; you could reset to get the type/resistance you want, but what if you change your mind later? In order to get every possibility, or more than 3 or 4, you'd have to replay the game or get a second copy. Which actually wouldn't be bad, because most Pokemaniacs do that anyways (I did with D/P, would probably do it here, too, especially since it encourages you more).

So the only problem I see with this is how they'd fit all of the sprites into the game.

Seriously, they should be hiring you to work on the next Pokemon game. Your ideas are great.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Expanding the type-relations like I said in my before post would definitely be a task to tackle. It would almost be like a broken down periodic table, and much of the calculative-action would take place behind the screen - not for the player to see, except it wouldn't be based on dice rolls or anything. If a Pokemon like Tentacool is found in pretty much any area of water, then odds are, it will just be an "average" water Pokemon - not saying that its potential power is average, but its water-type is average, and is not leaning towards cold or hot temperature. In fact, temperature has pretty much everything to do with Pokemon - and everything in the real world. Temperature slows reactions down (cold), or speeds them up (hot), and therefore, without the change in temperature, there would be no difference between things. So perhaps 'temperature' should be a new element that each Pokemon possesses (aside from their types).

Another example would be a rock Pokemon. Say that its 'temperature' is always high, so therefore, it would be less susceptible to fire, grass, ice, and water. Normally, this Pokemon would probably just be seen as a Rock/Fire type, but by expanding the "type system", the Pokemon could merely be Rock, with a high temperature, and therefore have attributes similar to a fire type, without actually being a fire type.

- Spire
I demand that you send this idea to Game Freak.

Spire

III
BRoomer
That just blew my mind.

That is the most ingenious thing ever. When you're going through large caves where nothing but Zubats normally appear, you'd no longer get bored out of your skull; you'd say "Oh! An ice Zubat! I need to catch one of those!" Pokemon would involve much more strategy in picking the Pokemon, and it would be harder to get bored. There would be nearly infinite possibilities.

This would pose sort of a problem with legendaries, though; you could reset to get the type/resistance you want, but what if you change your mind later? In order to get every possibility, or more than 3 or 4, you'd have to replay the game or get a second copy. Which actually wouldn't be bad, because most Pokemaniacs do that anyways (I did with D/P, would probably do it here, too, especially since it encourages you more).

So the only problem I see with this is how they'd fit all of the sprites into the game.

Seriously, they should be hiring you to work on the next Pokemon game. Your ideas are great.
Haha, thanks man! I really appreciate it!

I did not think about the legendaries while typing that, so you have brought up a very great point. In my view, Legendaries should be so much more than what they have been in the game. Take this in for a second -- Dialga and Palkia have pretty much been in existence for as long as.... well, ever. Dialga pretty much governs the element of time, while Palkia governs space. Without the two, nothing could exist. So what would happen if you were to indefinitely kill one of them? I'm sure your imagination could figure it out. But why then, are we allowed to capture those Pokemon? By capturing them, we are now the wielders of both time and space, and therefore, we pretty much rule the entire universe. One word..

No.

A legendary Pokemon is a Pokemon like Mewtwo - it is very powerful, but in no way is it tied to the core elements of existence. Capturing it would have no negative effect on the world. But such a creature as Mewtwo is so vicious that it obliterated the laboratory that it was created in - taking with it the scientists that created it. Mewtwo is far more intelligent that any human being. Why then would it merely fight the Pokemon you send at it, rather than just kill you? Mewtwo does not want to be in a Pokeball because Mewtwo hates all humans. Why fight your Pokemon when it can fight you -- or better yet, KILL you? I do not approve of the lack of importance that legendaries sport in the games. They are not legendary Pokemon, they are just really hard-to-catch, one-of-a-kind Pokemon. Out of all of the trainers in the entire world, how can a 10-year old catch the most powerful Pokemon in the world? Again...

NO!

Now, to really answer your question -- I think the whole "legendary" thing needs a complete overhaul. I mean think about it. You know the legendary is there, and it's big and bad and nasty all over the place and you really want it. So you battle it, and you catch it. Now you have it, and now it's not exciting anymore, because you have a legendary Pokemon and no one else does, and you've stolen it from its grand lair, watching over the world. It's like you're stealing a piece of the world itself. Which brings me to my next point (sorry, I'll directly answer you in a bit, Firus) -- all Pokemon are created to represent different elements of life through creature-like forms that we can associate with.

I mean, look at the types of Pokemon: we have grass, fire, water, electric, ground, rock, psychic, ice, steel, etc, etc. These are all common (yes, Psychic is merely just a representation of mindpower, it's as common as any of the others) elements that make up the world that we live in (with the exception of bug, dragon, ghost, and flying - being directly related to the actual being itself rather than an element that our world is made of; otherwise, "dog" would be a valid type, and that's a no-no). Now, Legendaries usually encompass grander elements of life - such as the aforementioned 'Space', and 'Time'. These two elements are not Pokemon types, but two legendary Pokemon represent them. All Pokemon are metaphoric for our world, and capturing them - in essence - is taking a piece of our world and using it to further ourselves. Of course, this kind of contradicts what I said earlier about what would happen if you killed Dialga and Palkia, but in the context that the games have put them in, it seems applicable.

NOW, to answer your question about what should be done about the legendaries. Since I have gotten all of that weight off of my belt, I hope you have at least taken in some of what I said in the past... four paragraphs (wow..). Regarding the types of the legendaries, I think that they should have the same type for most games, but rarely, they may change types and/or appearance. The variation is being introduced so that common, wild Pokemon will not appear the same over, and over, and over, and over [redundancy to the max]. Legendaries will only appear once, but that does not mean that they should always be the same. To add some spice to the legendaries, they may be different when you encounter them, but how they appear is how they will always appear for the remainder of the game (Entei, Raikou, and Suicune will always look the way they did when you first encounter them). This goes for types too, of course.

Now to bring up another point regarding the type-altering between individuals of one species of Pokemon. On very rare occasions however, the type (and this goes for all Pokemon) may be completely different from its common-type. For instance, you may find a water Magmar (essentially a Golduck due to similarities in appearance). This Magmar would not sport the flame-patterns on its body, but may have bubbles (reminiscent of Azumarrill) and be entire blue in hue. Now, you will not find a water Magmar in the Cinnabar Island mansion, but you may in a water-based cave. Because Magmar is a Pokemon with very high-temperature, this trait would carry on to its water-based cousin, and therefore, would make it susceptible to ice-attacks (while a normal Magmar would be strong against ice Pokemon) AND may have a resistance to grass-attacks, since its temperature is high, and therefore shares some traits with fire-types. This adds for extreme diversity in battle as you may not know what type the Pokemon actually is. However, you must remember that these type of Pokemon are very, very rare (not as rare as a shiny though) and if you were to encounter one, you better catch it.

Anyways, I would love to discuss the new type-system more with you guys. I'll do my best to ask any questions at all.

marthsword

Smash Ace
As for a Pokemon that is "cooler" than Garchomp (and I'll be fair and choose someone that at least in appearance - is in the same league):
You're too brilliant. It's scary. Your ideas and posts here are the most amazing things I've ever read. Send to game freak now.

And kabutops is one of my favorite pokemon, but I'll challenge you.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You're too brilliant. It's scary. Your ideas and posts here are the most amazing things I've ever read. Send to game freak now.

And kabutops is one of my favorite pokemon, but I'll challenge you.

Nidoking was always one of the grandest of the 1st Generation Pokemon - hands down. And, ever since the announcement of Donphan, Ampharos, Slowking, and Ho-oh (and soon after: Snubbull, Marrill, Bellossom and Hoothoot), I have always liked Donphan above almost all 2nd-generation Pokemon (Heracross puts up great competition).

Also, in response to all of your support, I will write up a letter to send to Gamefreak regarding my ideas for the 5th Generation of Pokemon. Thank you all.

drcossack

Smash Ace
I'm going to have to argue against you saying Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, and Deoxys count here. They are less Pokemon in the game, and rather just publicity stunts for Nintendo. The only one of these Pokemon that is capturable without hacks or Nintendo downloads is Mew, and that's only through an obscure glitch in the game.
Fair enough. I was mainly trying to make the point that D/P has way too many "Legendaries"; it got worse in 3rd Gen when they added 10 new ones.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Also, in response to all of your support, I will write up a letter to send to Gamefreak regarding my ideas for the 5th Generation of Pokemon. Thank you all.
On the behalf of Pokemaniacs all over...thank you! Hopefully they'll be smart enough to use them!

PCHU

Smash Lord
LOL
Okay.
Something's wrong here.
I actually like the 4th Gen.
The 3rd gen can burn for all I care, except for Deoxys, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Latios, Latias, Jirachi, Blaziken, Salamence, and, last but definitely NOT least, Pichu.
Why didn't he return for Brawl?
He was SOOOOOO cool.

Spire

III
BRoomer
LOL
Okay.
Something's wrong here.
I actually like the 4th Gen.
The 3rd gen can burn for all I care, except for Deoxys, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Latios, Latias, Jirachi, Blaziken, Salamence, and, last but definitely NOT least, Pichu.
Why didn't he return for Brawl?
He was SOOOOOO cool.
Uh.... Pichu was 2nd generation. You obviously don't know what you're talking about when you say that you dislike the 3rd generation - oh, except for all of the legendaries, and the overly-publicized Blaziken and Salamence. Laaaaaaaaaaaaame.

I'll tell you why he did not return for Brawl. Think of it this way -- there are 493 Pokemon, with a huge diversity. At the time that Brawl came out, only the 1st and 2nd generations had been released, with Pichu. Pikachu was the mascot of the 1st generation (and still is overall), while its tiny successor and relative, Pichu, automatically became a "mascot" due to its older sibling's popularity. The only reason that he was included in Melee is because the team liked the idea of clones -- which were basically last minute characters to expand the roster even more. Truthfully, only two clones were necessary - Ganondorf and Falco (with Young Link being a third due to his prominent role in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask). However, clones like Dr. Mario, Roy, and PICHU, were simply fillers that were included merely for space and diversity. We do not need Pikachu AND Pichu. Two electrics in the same family is worthless. Yes, Link and Toon (young) Link are basically the same, but there are not 493 Zelda characters to choose from.

So, instead of Pichu, we got Pokemon Trainer (we would have had Plusle and Minun as an Ice-Climbers duo, but they were cut from the game -- thankfully) who adds three new Pokemon to the roster, rather than the ONE that Pichu would have been. Mewtwo was replaced by Lucario, Roy by Ike, and Young Link by Toon Link. Pichu was inherently erased completely, with his only soul-successor being Pikachu himself, but Pichu was a clone of Pikachu, so that is negated. I'm sorry, but Pichu is gone and will be gone forever. You can get a trophy of him though if you REALLY want to see him in Brawl ;)

infernovia

Smash Ace
Actually, Roy was added to publicize the fire emblem release.

Pichu was probably the most worthless addition as a clone (dr. mario could have been another outfit...). The fact that pichu isn't returning makes me happy.

And on topic, I wish Nintendo would stop releasing 60 water pokemons. And someway to stop this sandstorm metagame which has become dominant. That Garchomp is a scary sight, we don't need sand veil + brightpowder to allow it to rip through its potential counters. Seriously, some balance. Also stealth rock + sandstorm is probably the most effective way of doing damage without attacking... We need something to help out the game here.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Actually, Roy was added to publicize the fire emblem release.

Pichu was probably the most worthless addition as a clone (dr. mario could have been another outfit...). The fact that pichu isn't returning makes me happy.

And on topic, I wish Nintendo would stop releasing 60 water pokemons. And someway to stop this sandstorm metagame which has become dominant. That Garchomp is a scary sight, we don't need sand veil + brightpowder to allow it to rip through its potential counters. Seriously, some balance. Also stealth rock + sandstorm is probably the most effective way of doing damage without attacking... We need something to help out the game here.
You're absolutely right about Roy. I realized that mistake after typing, but forgot to edit. Oh well, I'm glad you cleared it up. I also agree with the unbalance in Pokemon types and the Pokemon themselves.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I just can't believe what they did to cute lil Lickitung. T.T
qoute for the the maximum truth

Not only is his new name utrley unoriginal but he looks like a fat guy, with a swirl on his head, sticking out his tounge. His tounge even looks stupider.....

- Spire
:dizzy: you do not want to know what hackers would do with this ..... ZoMg! A dragon/ice diagla thats coloured bluish purple showing its resistant to dragon types! That would be just one of the possibilitys plus for people who truley want to catch them all they would have to get about 30000 pokemon counting the diffrent variations. As for your idea of diffrent water types in another post im going to have to say that that would be a bit over doing it. That would only lead to diffrent type of ghost pokemon like holy and evil then thin ice and hard ice pokemon, rock and boulder etc. That would about double the types causing it to be harder to remember which type is good on which.

EX. Go Infernape!
Ok we are facing a walrien(which would likely turn out to be a cold water pokemon).
Use flare blitz! Its 3x effective due to it being not only a ice type but also a cold water pokemon...

Spire

III
BRoomer

Not only is his new name utrley unoriginal but he looks like a fat guy, with a swirl on his head, sticking out his tounge. His tounge even looks stupider.....

:dizzy: you do not want to know what hackers would do with this ..... ZoMg! A dragon/ice diagla thats coloured bluish purple showing its resistant to dragon types! That would be just one of the possibilitys plus for people who truley want to catch them all they would have to get about 30000 pokemon counting the diffrent variations. As for your idea of diffrent water types in another post im going to have to say that that would be a bit over doing it. That would only lead to diffrent type of ghost pokemon like holy and evil then thin ice and hard ice pokemon, rock and boulder etc.
I was not suggesting that we add more types, but rather add the element of "temperature" that would apply both to individual Pokemon, attacks, and the types themselves. Ghost is ghost, but colder ghosts would be more like "evil", while warmer ghosts would be "holy". Warmth is directly related to light, which in turn is related to Holiness. Evil is the antithesis to what I just mentioned, so it would be "cold". I will name the ghosts types that would be warm, cold, and neutral:

WARM:
- Shedinja
- Drifloon
- Drifblim
- Rotom
- Misdreavous
- Mismagius

COLD:
- Frosglass
- Shuppet
- Banette
- Spiritomb
- Sableye

NEUTRAL:
- Ghastly
- Haunter
- Gengar
- Duskull
- Dusclops
- Dusknoir
- Giratina

That is an example of how to split Pokemon of certain types into the three temperatures.

EDIT: I just saw your Walrein example. There would be hidden factors as to how much damage could actually be dealt to a Pokemon. Walrein is an Ice/Water Pokemon, and because it's Water, Fire only does 1/2x the damage. However, because it's a cold-temperature Pokemon, fire may (and this is not certain) do normal damage, or even perhaps 1.25x damage given the conditions (what environment the battle is taking place in, for example).

Spire

III
BRoomer

His tongue is even shorter now. What use is he if he can't lick as well as Lickitung!? At least they gave Lickitung a little recognition by adding a 2nd stage to the family. Odds are, they'll make a baby stage in the Lickitung family in the next gen.

EDIT: Sorry for doublepost, I had two tabs open, replying to different people in this topic and did not realize that it happened to be in the same topic.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Yea but a fire move on walrien has normal effect due to it being super effective on ice but not very effective on water then add the cold water addition and it becomes about 1.5 to 2x (depending on the stage) effective. Other then that your idea could work but the fact that pokemon like dewgong and welrien are going to take a hit from this (which isnt all bad as fire pokemon are doing poorly in the first place will get a boost). Thanks for clearing up the temprature thing :).

A baby likitung would be awsome! I hope it dosnt look like its 3rd evolution.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yea but a fire move on walrien has normal effect due to it being super effective on ice but not very effective on water then add the cold water addition and it becomes about 1.5 to 2x (depending on the stage) effective. Other then that your idea could work but the fact that pokemon like dewgong and welrien are going to take a hit from this (which isnt all bad as fire pokemon are doing poorly in the first place will get a boost). Thanks for clearing up the temprature thing :).

A baby likitung would be awsome! I hope it dosnt look like its 3rd evolution.
Judging by the fact that Lickitung's tongue shrinks through evolution, I'm guessing that its baby form would have the longest tongue. Lickityke?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
likityke..hem...i have heard that somewhere. Wait isnt that similar to mantyke? Still the name is to cool to say no. Likityke for next gen!!

EDIT: I can see it now a little minture likitung with a tounge thats twice as long:chuckle:

Mewter

Smash Master
This gen isn't all that bad. We have Luxray, Lopunny, Purugly, and even two new eeveelutions. The things I don't like, however, are some of the pokémon that are out that nearly everyone obsesses over. First off, there's Garchomp. I don't like looking at it. It's a effing ugly shark that has great power, but when you hit with one Ice move, it's pretty much dead. Next, Lucario. I also hate how it looks, as well as being pretty much the Goku of pokémon. He has Goku's voice in the animé, his shiny form is that of an appearance of it "going Super Saiyan." I mean.. There's so many things I do not like about it, it's not funny. Now, I come to Darkrai. It's smoke, moving on. Shaymin. It's a hedgehog chia pet. And... Arceus. It's a failgoat, that's all. Other than those bad eggs, there's still quite a lot to like about the 4th gen. Sure, more pokémon evolved, but that's how it is in Pokémon.
lol, Shaymin a chia pet. I like the fourth Generation a lot, but it just didn't seem to be all it was cracked up to be when I got Diamond... Wait, I've got an idea. If they do make a fifth generation(and they probably will), Maybe they could focus more on evolutions, maybe more bug species, different gameplay. That would be cool.:bee:
Edit: cool temperature idea.
Also... what if they made it so that you could make your own pokemon(But it can't exceed 450 base stat total points) and you could draw parts of it with the stylus, pick its types, the attacks it can use (no more than 50 attacks to choose from for the species) and stuff like that(but it can't be usd in normal gameplay, only against other created pokemon) that would be cool. But then again... there is the issue of plagiarism...

Spire

III
BRoomer
lol, Shaymin a chia pet. I like the fourth Generation a lot, but it just didn't seem to be all it was cracked up to be when I got Diamond... Wait, I've got an idea. If they do make a fifth generation(and they probably will), Maybe they could focus more on evolutions, maybe more bug species, different gameplay. That would be cool.:bee:
Edit: cool temperature idea.
Also... what if they made it so that you could make your own pokemon(But it can't exceed 450 base stat total points) and you could draw parts of it with the stylus, pick its types, the attacks it can use (no more than 50 attacks to choose from for the species) and stuff like that(but it can't be usd in normal gameplay, only against other created pokemon) that would be cool. But then again... there is the issue of plagiarism...
Drawing a Pokemon with the Stylus would be awful. However, having a palette and a pixel-filler type board (think Animal Crossing t-shirt designing) you could actually make interesting looking sprites. Of course, this would probably break the game. If this was actually implemented though, they would need to make it to where you have to collect certain items to take to the "Pokemon Creation Laboratory", such as the "Base Pokemon DNA Strand". Along with that, you would need to find certain items to designate its type, such as a "Fire Gene", and an "Ice Gen", and a "Psychic Gene", etc, etc. With two of those, you can implement them into the "Base Pokemon DNA Strand". Otherwise, it would come out as a normal-type Pokemon. Also, to designate what moves the Pokemon can have, you would need to implement TM's, and you can decide whether or not to give it Scratch, Tackle, Growl, Leer,Tail Whip, etc.

For example, if you only use the "Base Pokemon DNA Strand", you would have a normal Pokemon that would have only two moves - a base attacking move, and a base stat-effecting move, like all of the starters in the series have. Also, the color palette should be extended depending on what type of "Type Genes" you give them. For instance, if you insert a Fire-Gene, you would have access to the Fire-palette, which would give you all sorts of reds, oranges and yellows, or an "Ice-Gene" would give you a range of blues (mainly lighter blues). The default palette should merely give you very base, pastel-colors. However, there should also be the "Normal-Gene" that would expand those colors to include more saturated colors strictly for the normal-type Pokemon.

Also, in order to give the Pokemon evolution forms, you can add "Evolution Genes" for stages 2 and 3 (and if baby were a stage, then you could only add baby and stage 2). The Pokemon will always be the lowest stage possible, so if you do not add a "Baby Gene" then it will be a basic Pokemon. Once you have added evolution genes, you design the evolved form of the Pokemon also.

Once you have completed your design, you must pay a fee for each type, TM, and evolution stage added. It would be really nice if the game could read all of the ingredients that you put into the brewer and calculate what kinds of attacks and at what levels the Pokemon will learn them AND what level the Pokemon will evolve. To note, on the screen, during the process of adding genes, it should show you your total cash and the amount that it will cost to create it so that you don't go through extensive work, and then find that you do not have enough cash to pay.

After you've payed the cost, you'll have to wait I don't know... a few days until it is complete. Then, when you return to retrieve your Pokemon, it will be level 1, and have a pre-determined behavior and food preference along with its calculate stats, and all that jazz. This would definitely need to be a very pricey transaction - one that hinders most trainers from owning their own custom Pokemon. But it would be interesting if the developers create Pokemon specific to certain trainers that have been created by them and are one-of-a-kinds. Perhaps even, this process is how you obtain your starter Pokemon - by creating it.

Mewter

Smash Master
But it would be interesting if the developers create Pokemon specific to certain trainers that have been created by them and are one-of-a-kinds. Perhaps even, this process is how you obtain your starter Pokemon - by creating it.
Yeah, it would be cool to create your starter pokemon... but what if (so that names don't get taken) you have to register the pokemon's name over nintendo wi-fi to actually make it valid?(Though that would be a problem for people without wi-fi)

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
I loved the d/p generation. One of my biggest complaints about the pokemon series was the type to element link(fire is always a special attack). This limited many pokemon like flareon who were fire type but had a high attack instead of special attack. With this new system, now I can raise flareon in attack and teach it moves that utilize its fire type and its high attack.

I still think that there is more that they can change to help the system, but I hope they do it slowly. One thing I've learned is that highly competitive games are that way for a reason. You should only change 1-2 aspects at a time and see if it pans out well. If it does then keep it, if it doesn't then drop it and move on to another change.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I loved the d/p generation. One of my biggest complaints about the pokemon series was the type to element link(fire is always a special attack). This limited many pokemon like flareon who were fire type but had a high attack instead of special attack. With this new system, now I can raise flareon in attack and teach it moves that utilize its fire type and its high attack.

I still think that there is more that they can change to help the system, but I hope they do it slowly. One thing I've learned is that highly competitive games are that way for a reason. You should only change 1-2 aspects at a time and see if it pans out well. If it does then keep it, if it doesn't then drop it and move on to another change.
Very well put. But, sometimes developers completely shift gears, because whenever they create any type of sequel, they always change up at least 1-2 aspects. So, turning a series almost 180 degrees from the last installment could either make or break the level of satisfaction among their consumers. I'm all for changing it drastically.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Nintendo broke it with me because Diamond and Pearl were to similar to other games. So changing gears could actually save the franchise for me.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
The problem with game freak is that they don't do anything innovative because they don't have to. DP is mostly recycled from the older games, apart from new pokés/moves/abilities it hardly feels any different. They did do a great job at introducing new strategic abilities and moves for this gen though.

And I don't think 4th gen had any more **** pokémon than the other 3. Of course there's bound to be some unoriginal pokémon, they're almost 500!

And tangrowth is awesome, haters :mad:

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
^^^ im blinded!!!! Its likilikys sister!!! Anyway I agree, the same pokemon seem to keep recycling over and over.

Changing gears would be great! Drastic change would help the francise as long as its not TO drastic.

Top Bottom