• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best comeback factor?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Alright so I was playing today and I came back from down 3-1 and it got me thinking, which characters have the best comeback factor? I’ll put my below, what do you think?

1. Lucario - Aura it’s his entire character
2. Wario - that fart tho. The man is built for comebacks
3. Ness - His early BnB combos do just enough % for PKT2 (when Ness hits it into himself) to kill and PKT2 is way easier to hit than pretty much any other move that does that kind of damage and knock back. Can 0-death really easily with a nice combo
4. Jigglypuff - Sing+Rest. Need I say more?
5. Pichu - Similar to Ness his early BnBs do enough for some of his confirms including a spike and he’s just so explosive and racks up damage so fast
6. The Superheavies - Didn’t wanna give them their own spots because they’re all similar. They can all do a ton of damage fast and take stocks fast

Honorable mentions:
-Ike - Seems like he can take a stock in two combos
-Luigi - I know he still has some sort of 0-death but I’ve never been caught in it and it seems easy enough to DI out of. Still wanted to mention him though

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
...Is this even really a question? :ultlucario:’s Aura is all about comebacks.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
...Is this even really a question? :ultlucario:’s Aura is all about comebacks.
I completely forgot about Lucario. Ok it’s definitely Lucario

I just edited my first post and I can’t believe I made this thread without first thinking of Lucario. I guess top 5 then...

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I don't know about putting Pichu in there - in his case it's seems less of a comeback ability and more that matches against him are just volatile, because he himself dies to a stiff breeze.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don't know about putting Pichu in there - in his case it's seems less of a comeback ability and more that matches against him are just volatile, because he himself dies to a stiff breeze.
I would think Pichu has a very hard time making a comeback, due to the self-damage making it very hard to close a percent gap and making sure that his fresh stocks don't stay fresh for long.

Tiltedssb

Smash Cadet
On paper it is Luigi or Jigglypuff. But accounting for human error I would say heavies or obviously Lucario. I don't see how Pichu is even a contender (Lightest character and no super strong early gimmicky kills). No Game & Watch?? I've come back from a 3-1 stock deficit by getting a 9.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I've had pretty good comebacks as Palutena. I won a 2v1 thanks to her ability to combo effectively with her explosive flames, counter/reflect, and her aerials. My teammate died fairly quickly and it was all up to me to take down a Snake and Pikachu team solo.

Last edited:

Tw0Dimensi0nal

Smash Rookie
Game and Watch's oil panic deserves at least a mention. Can't tell you how many games I was down a stock and at kill percent, but managed to win because I was able to eek out their stock and take their last one almost immediately with oil.

Also d-smash to f-smash with full rage is crazy powerful. Opponent near the ledge doesn't even need to be at 60% in most cases. It's like getting hit by Ganon f-smash but 5 times faster.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It comes down to not fretting over the fact that you're behind and you have to work extra hard to win. I think it's relative. While I lost to a DK (surprise, surprise), I had lost both stocks to SD'ing. Nevertheless, I was on a roll in turning the match around.

MangoPeachey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1868-5016-7402
I would say either Pichu or Lucario. Lucario for obvious reasons. Pichu because of how easy it is for him to just steal a stock from you using his many early kill options like down b, fsmash, down air. Although Pichu dies from making one mistake, a comeback is all about being in horrible disadvantage and then not making any mistakes and pretty much just popping off and destroying the opponent.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
-Luigi - I know he still has some sort of 0-death but I’ve never been caught in it and it seems easy enough to DI out of. Still wanted to mention him though
Even without a 0-death, he's still got the Weegi Shoryuken.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
It comes down to not fretting over the fact that you're behind and you have to work extra hard to win. I think it's relative. While I lost to a DK (surprise, surprise), I had lost both stocks to SD'ing. Nevertheless, I was on a roll in turning the match around.
This is true actually. It doesn’t really matter what character you’re playing with it’s all about mindset. Anyone can make a comeback with any character

The reason I think Pichu is up there despite his self damage is he has such an easy time going 0 to death and his rushdown is just that good. He has to straight pop off to do that but I think he’s one of the most capable characters at popping off in the game

I overlooked G&W buckets and 9s cause I never play him. Definitely up there. That’s why I made a thread to discuss who you think is a good comeback character. I’m sure I forgot a ton

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Despite not being superheavies, I'd still put Ridley and Snake on there.

Ridley's got good burst damage output (between tipper aerials, the command grab and fireballs), offstage/edgeguarding prowess, and has good dash speed to play keepaway (along with retreating N-air/d-tilt/a frame 4 Jab to take advantage of it). Lastly his kill options rival those of actual superheavies, with F-Smash, tipper F-tilt, B-air and Side B (both on/off stage) benefiting greatly from rage. Though he'll never land it, sweetspot down B is also a thing that will instantly turn momentum.

Snake has good survivability between his decent weight, recovery, and the ability to pull grenades to get him out of disadvantage. Naturally he takes advantage of his zoning tools extremely well, racks up damage stupidly fast, and has amazing kill options between C4/Nikita/U-tilt/U-Smash and most of his aerials.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
While Lucario is the most obvious comeback character as I mentioned earlier (which is why he's one of my mains), I would be remiss not to mention that his Aura being based primarily on his damage means that he loses a lot of momentum from losing a stock and having his damage reset back to 0%; an undamaged Lucario has a tough time closing out the enemy’s stock, and Lucario doesn't have any innate ways of hurting himself. I could probably find somebody claiming that Lucario is actually terrible at making comebacks in the Competitive Character Impressions thread if I cared to go digging through the whole thing, and while I don't particularly agree with that stance, I can see where they're coming from. Furthermore, given how damage and knockback work, the higher your damage is, the harder it is to establish and maintain advantage; an attack that can't kill a heavily damaged character outright or at least knock them off the stage (and into disadvantage) can often still knock them far enough away that they'll have to approach and space themselves all over again. So, yeah. Lucario may be a comeback-friendly character, but he still has to put in a lot of work to turn around a bad match.

Last edited:

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
I've had pretty good comebacks as Palutena. I won a 2v1 thanks to her ability to combo effectively with her explosive flames, counter/reflect, and her aerials. My teammate died fairly quickly and it was all up to me to take down a Snake and Pikachu team solo.
I read this and I was like "whaaaaaat?!?!!? This is insane."

Palutena is... not great in Free-for-alls if the other players don't let her sit on the sidelines and she is just straight bad when against another team alone. I love Palu but she has a tendency to leave her self open and relies a lot on spacing. Great in 1v1s, less so in other situations. I definitely think the team you were facing weren't playing very well/weren't playing at their best specifically because if you can get off multiple Explosive Flames and Counters/Reflects, and not get punished in a 2v1 situation (especially against a Snake/Pikachu)... like I can't even fathom it.

Props to you though. It always feels good making a comeback.

Last edited:

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
How to comeback with any character:

You. Be determined and keep your morale high. Try changing the style of play in mid game to confuse enemies, read their ending lags of their attacks (Easier and less risky than starting lags) and you can bring the stock to 1-1.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I read this and I was like "whaaaaaat?!?!!? This is insane."

Palutena is... not great in Free-for-alls if the other players don't let her sit on the sidelines and she is just straight bad when against another team alone. I love Palu but she has a tendency to leave her self open and relies a lot on spacing. Great in 1v1s, less so in other situations. I definitely think the team you were facing weren't playing very well/weren't playing at their best specifically because if you can get off multiple Explosive Flames and Counters/Reflects, and not get punished in a 2v1 situation (especially against a Snake/Pikachu)... like I can't even fathom it.

Props to you though. It always feels good making a comeback.
She has really good aerials to make up for that weakness, and when they don't expect it, I use an explosive flame. My teammate was a Ganondorf. He took care of the opponents pretty easily, but he SD'd early and died. They were left with 2 stocks but their first was a pretty high percentage.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ike.

He has two recoveries to mix up, is a heavyweight that dies later, kill confirms off of nair, a fantastic move already, and ****s out damage like no other, not to mention his aethercide at the ledge still works in very desperate circumstances.

Combined with Rage and the 1.1x knockback multiplier, he can kill ridiculously early and survive for long periods of time, especially if he spaces well with his giant aerial disjoints.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Ctrl-F Ridley, only one person mentioning him
Yikes
Dude can turn into an absolute monster if you sleep on him for even a second, and situationally his down special tipper can ruin stocks real quick

Also, no mention of the Plant? If he gets just a few good engagements he can easily rack up 160 damage and then just has to up-throw you into oblivion

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ctrl-F Ridley, only one person mentioning him
Yikes
Dude can turn into an absolute monster if you sleep on him for even a second, and situationally his down special tipper can ruin stocks real quick

Also, no mention of the Plant? If he gets just a few good engagements he can easily rack up 160 damage and then just has to up-throw you into oblivion
Ridley never struck me as a comeback character. It seems like Ridley has trouble when behind

Plant is just so awkward and slow and easy to play around though. I never fear plant. Plus Plant lives forever anyway so it doesn’t even need to comeback.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Ridley never struck me as a comeback character. It seems like Ridley has trouble when behind

Plant is just so awkward and slow and easy to play around though. I never fear plant. Plus Plant lives forever anyway so it doesn’t even need to comeback.
It's mostly that both characters have the ability to very quickly take stocks/rack up damage with the right plays, rather than either of them being particularly good. Plant living forever makes this even more apparent as he could easily survive to 200% on his last stock against some characters, while he just casually obliterates their 2 stock lead and ties it up.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
ridley is good comeback character, the game don't end until he has 0 stock

Top Bottom