• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I laughed at the topic as well, he thought he was a successful troll. If Yoshi is at least midway decent I WILL try him.

Hmm, that footstool jump looks like it would GREATLY benefit Mario, think about it...

1) crap recovery [might improve, but still]
2) Mario relies on combos to kill [looking at Mario's F-Smash pic it will most likely be a sweetspot, if its not then yay], so edgeguarding with that foot fungus jump could potential make Mario stronger.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
To me, Mario's going to be more of a beast than ever. It looks like he actually has more than one finishing move. That's an improvement, man. :laugh:

Superstar

Smash Champion
If Mario's F-Air was like Doc's, and his fireballs had equal stun, and he got better at edgeguarding with the foot fungus trick, Mario could be awesome this time around. I don't want Doc to return, I want his best traits and Mario's best to fuse, to make Mario into a super beast, and make Doc into a costume that changes the sprite and sound effects of the fireballs and F-Smash, but whatever.

Have you tried Doc's Fair, that thing is awesome, great kill move, worth much more than Mario's fair. If Mario had it, muhahahaha.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
If Mario's F-Air was like Doc's, and his fireballs had equal stun, and he got better at edgeguarding with the foot fungus trick, Mario could be awesome this time around. I don't want Doc to return, I want his best traits and Mario's best to fuse, to make Mario into a super beast, and make Doc into a costume that changes the sprite and sound effects of the fireballs and F-Smash, but whatever.

Have you tried Doc's Fair, that thing is awesome, great kill move, worth much more than Mario's fair. If Mario had it, muhahahaha.
Yeah I have tried Doctor Mario's fair and it is a beast. I still like Mario's fair because it smacks them down and can be set up for an F-smash. Oh, and Mario's Up-B recovery in Brawl is better as it can reach higher. Overall, Mario might actually be better in high play.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Of course, Mario is better overall, notice how I said just the fair and fireballs/pills. Doc excels in those things ALONE.

Though, If Mario had Doc's vertical cape height [but kept horizontal], we could stop sweetspots as well, and it would be good to keep the aerial mobility.

And mario-man, Mario's fair sucks, its too slow, and its a meteor so it can be meteor cancelled. Not a great kill move. Mario's Fair is nice, but if it had the killing power of docs...

I've used both Mario and Doc, I like Mario better, but Doc has some sweet pills and fair. Mario-man, how would you feel if Mario's fireballs worked like Doc's pills, and Mario's fair was a killing move on standing opponents. Mario would be beastlier.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Of course, Mario is better overall, notice how I said just the fair and fireballs/pills. Doc excels in those things ALONE.

Though, If Mario had Doc's vertical cape height [but kept horizontal], we could stop sweetspots as well, and it would be good to keep the aerial mobility.

And mario-man, Mario's fair sucks, its too slow, and its a meteor so it can be meteor cancelled. Not a great kill move. Mario's Fair is nice, but if it had the killing power of docs...

I've used both Mario and Doc, I like Mario better, but Doc has some sweet pills and fair. Mario-man, how would you feel if Mario's fireballs worked like Doc's pills, and Mario's fair was a killing move on standing opponents. Mario would be beastlier.
Superstar, if you haven't noticed, I meant Mario being better in high play when Brawl comes around.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I read it mario-man, I was addressing you. I would suggest playing with Mario and then playing with Doc, and then playing with Mario again. Mario feels smoother, but his fireballs and fair sucks [I'm pretty sure even Maelstrom said that]. Doc possesses his pills and fair.

Pills are better in every way to fireballs, try them out, they are awesome. And Doc's Fair is a great kill move, unlike Maro's, which is too risky to try to kill with and can be meteor cancelled. Mario's fair kinda sucks.

Maelstrom said:
Also, Doc’s AFA essentially serves as a shffl’d smash attack, which is much more practical than Mario’s meteor-smashing, semi-combo starting AFA.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Fireballs are better when it comes to Mario's recovery. Just shoot them out while you're getting back on the stage. Make sure you're high in the air when you do it.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Pills have more stun, and travel in a more unpredictable trajectory than fireballs. Ever try pill rushing, as my brother is a camper that stalls at the edge, it drove him crazy, unlike the fireballs reactions, which he just jumps over.

Fireballs are good for recovery, but pills work better. In SSB Fireballs had more stun than in SSBM, so it was more useful there. I'm pretty sure we would all be happy if Mario's fireballs in Brawl worked like Doc's pills, at least for the stun time.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Actually, not quite Mewcario. See, the first post here was was when Dylan was a bit of an arrogant jerk [You DON'T say pathetic noobs in the Brawl Boards... you are gonna get flamed if so]. And the person he does refer to scrubs nowadays are scrubs.

Scrubs are not necessarily noobs, they are whiners, they whine about the techniques you use to beat, they call you cheap, etc, etc. Some tourney goers are scrubs, though more scrubs are casual players.

Heck, I don't like scrubs myself, I just tend to use the word idiot more, but enough about that, this topic is getting too old.

If Mario's fireballs were as powerful as Doc's pills, Mario would be much better. Doc's pills stun an enemy more, I think they give more damage, and they travel in weird trajectories. Fuse Mario and Doc's pros for Brawl. :laugh:

And no one likes the Zamus update, would be better if there was another way to use her, keep the Final Smash method though. I won't kill myself if Zamus is unusable, as I don't plan on using her, but Sakurai is smarter than that [hopefully]. We cannot jump to conclusions.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Nope, I'm sticking with Mario's fair. I've used Doc plenty, and I still think that Mario's is better. It doesn't send opponents flying in all directions which is good for combos. To me, the whole reason that Mario is better is because he is a character which is a little more versatile and oyu have to be more skillful to do combos.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Nope, I'm sticking with Mario's fair. I've used Doc plenty, and I still think that Mario's is better. It doesn't send opponents flying in all directions which is good for combos. To me, the whole reason that Mario is better is because he is a character which is a little more versatile and oyu have to be more skillful to do combos.
Doctor Mario's overall better because he has more power and has more KO options. Doctor Mario's recovery is terrible and Mario's recovery's better. On the other hand, Mario has low KO potential. The move that he has in his arsenal that kills is his F-smash, but it's an unreliable finishing move since it has to be sweet-spotted. Mario's F-smash has more range than Doctor Mario's, but has less power. I still think Mario's cool because of the way he flows when playing him.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Basically, as Mario's f-smash is blech, Doc's fair would make Mario sweet. You don't know how it good it feels to shffl Doc's Fair. Doc's fair is a KO move, MUCH better than a meteor, which would fix Mario's KO problem.

And having fireballs work like pills would increase his combo potential. Although, these improvements might bring him to higher middle/high tier...

I like the way Mario flows as well.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Down Smash is good for its speed, and it doesn't kill that well [try killing Samus with it...], just sets up for kills. Mario has his weaknesses, you CANNOT deny it. Mario has incredible combo ability, but his lack of raw KO power gets to him. Also, Doc's fair kills off the top, so that would get rid of Mario's floaty problem.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I don't have difficulty with downsmash, but its not that strong a move, Mario is not God, he is not that great, deal with it. He is fun to use, but he is not the greatest character in the game, he is not perfect at all or even close to it. In fact, I use the D-Smash as my way of killing, but against a Samus, with huge weight, and incredible recovery, D-Smash just ain't gonna cut it.

What's so great about Mario's fair, tell me.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Of course, Mario just feels like my style of playing, but you can't go thinking a character has no flaws. In order to be good with a character you need to know their flaws. Heck, even Fox has his flaws.

mario-man

Smash Lord
I meant KOs. I don't have any trouble KOing. Plus, there is no "Best Character". Tires Don Exits. LOL

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Of course, Mario just feels like my style of playing, but you can't go thinking a character has no flaws. In order to be good with a character you need to know their flaws. Heck, even Fox has his flaws.
I already know Mario has flaws. He has short range, low KO potential, and his grab range is bad.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Of course, those are his flaws. Mario-man, do you have some secondaries, it helps you know more about your main. From playing secondaries you know more about your main's shortcomings. Of course, my normal nature is a combo maniac, I sometimes notice that I bring my opponent to 200% with Fox.

My brother was on the recieving end of both Mario's and Doc's fairs, he agrees that Doc's is better.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Dekuknight950, hopefully you are not here to attack the thread like Somefreakydude, so if not, then yes, discuss, right now we are having a...um...creative discussion about Mario and Doc's Fair [forward air], which Doc's is obviously much better in that one aspect.

So everone, what characters do you use/main, an update. Me, its still the same.

Main: Mario
Secondary: Samus, Fox, Pikachu, and maybe Jigglypuff will join my team.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have been a long lurker (ever since they started doing Brawl updates on the main website) and I just recently registered. I wanted to make it a point on posting in this topic before I moved to introduce myself.

Anyways, SSBB will be amazing. Yes, we all may have our doubts and concerns but when we see the final product, I know it will be amazing. It always happens though. When I first heard of Lord of the Rings coming to theators. I knew it would suck (being a hardcore book fan) but it was an amazing movie in it's own right. So to all who are worried, stop worrying.

In order to prove my point, I will have to explain myself (I hate doing this -_-; ) Anyways, I can utilize wavedash and I have done many tourneys. However, about a year ago, I stopped usinf wavedash and going to tourneys and I have had alot more fun playing smash then before. The toruneys I went to were extremely stupid. Alot of asswipe elitists. I was almost "kicked" out because I invited my friends who were "n00bs" to join. So I left. Now my friend and I (whom doesnt know the wavedash nor does he want to) just play it every few months or so for fun.

I do think wavedashing should be left it for the tourney kids but it should be much hard to execute personally. Maybe even restrict it a bit. If you want to know more about me, go to the greetings thread.

Superstar

Smash Champion
... One of the thread divebombers, who claims that they tried tournaments and hated them. As everyone has started out not using Wavedash, on their first tournament they would know whether they truely preferred not using the wavedash, not go to several tournaments and then say they had more fun than ever before by quitting. And if tournaments were like that, then you had bad luck finding them.

But meh, back to discussion. This flame war is getting too old, and I'd rather continue the topic, so your mains/secondaries [mario-man, let me guess, Mario :laugh:]

Zephyr

Smash Lord
That's the kind of tourney scene that would make me quit smash. Just a bunch of people who only care about winning and their style of play. I mean, WTF is up with that?

That's why I love SD's scene. Everyone's so chill about the game. SD <3

EDIT: Well, I guess he's gone.
|
V

Superstar

Smash Champion
YESSS!!!! :laugh: PARTY!!!! He's gone!!!! [what does my quote have to do with the staff :laugh:]

And Zephyr, obviously Venus is not being truthful, but I guess you were bluffing, I would prefer never to join though if it was truely THAT bad]. What's SD anyways?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That's the kind of tourney scene that would make me quit smash. Just a bunch of people who only care about winning and their style of play. I mean, WTF is up with that?

That's why I love SD's scene. Everyone's so chill about the game. SD <3

EDIT: Well, I guess he's gone.
|
V
They were tourneys set up at my college. All they would do waseither play smash bros or the Naruto fighting games (which I also do like), watch Naruto fansubs, and yell and run aorund the student lounge pretending to be ninja. It was sad. I only playing Smash because I wanted a challenge but they were all **** weeds. I remember the first tourney I did, I had to fill out a form and inititation tests. I did about 7 in total when I decided to quit.

I have alot more fun playing with my friends at home.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Of course, those are his flaws. Mario-man, do you have some secondaries, it helps you know more about your main. From playing secondaries you know more about your main's shortcomings. Of course, my normal nature is a combo maniac, I sometimes notice that I bring my opponent to 200% with Fox.

My brother was on the recieving end of both Mario's and Doc's fairs, he agrees that Doc's is better.
If you're going by power or knockback, Doc's is better. Thing is, that's not what I'm baseing it on. It's the fact that Mario's can be followed up with other moves into combos. To me, power doesn't equal good. Finesse equals good.

Superstar

Smash Champion
ohh, then those weren't REAL smash tournaments. Many people host local tournaments, and some could be a pain in the rear. I've even been told of one tournament that Jigglypuff was banned cause of rollout o.O

But if the tournaments in that area were bad, and you aren't the competitive type, you should have quit on your first time. Real smash tournaments don't USE initiation tests.

And mario-man, it would still be good if Doc's gifts were given to Mario. I use Mario cause of the finesse. But if Doc is one of the characters who goes, then I vote making the new Mario a fusion of the two, to give Mario great power. :laugh:

Superstar

Smash Champion
No no no, I mean Brawl Mario works exactly the same as Melee Mario, but with two differences...

Mario's fireballs having the same stun as Doc, and the same trajectory if possible, happy with stun alone, such stun would increase his combo potential.

Mario's fair having the same effects as Doc's.

Just that, aerial attacks, cape, everything else exactly the same as before with Mario.

Since you believe Mario's fair is so great, tell me WHY? If Mario's fair was a spike I'm just fine with keeping it, but still.

EDIT: I mean Mario works exactly the same as Mario, but with two differences
ACK!!!! Fixed it.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Thus eliminating the finesse...............I don't get it.
From the looks of the second trailer, Mario's fair sends standing opponents sailing diagonally in the air whereas for aerial opponents, Mario slams them down. Mario seems to have the combination of the two fairs. Maybe you'll still be able to combo someone into an F-smash if you do the attack while in the air. To me, Mario still has his finesse. It's just one change to his attack. That's it.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Tourneys just leave me a bad taste in my mouth. Granted, the kids I played with were good but they were elitists. All they did was use advanced techniques. When I stopped using them, I was knocked down a "peg". It was basically a Smash club (About 15 of us. I only started playing cause I wanted something to do in between classes). I was the only one who did not use the advanced techniques yet, I could hold off my own for the most part.

They did a campus wide smash event and I brough two friends with me who were casual smash gamers and these people made fun of them and stuff so we left.

And that's why I no longer use wavedash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom