• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think is the most balanced character?

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
Who do you think is the most balanced character in Project M? I personally say Captain Falcon. He got a few improvements in Project M like side b grabbing the ledge but overall he is very balanced. I think he is one of those characters that hypothetically speaking if he got buffed he would be OP.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
In contrast, I'd say Falcon is one of the more mediocre characters in the game at the moment.

Most balanced as in most mid-tier, even spread matchups, in general?

Marth maybe? Though he does render a lot of matchups #unviable.

I honestly think ZSS is fairly rounded in this build, with a need for just a few touchups to make her moves link and work more properly.

It's a really tough call. Pit and Diddy feel "Great but not untouchable" if that's more what you're looking for. They change the interaction of the game in a more interesting way than, say, Sonic, and feel like they generally had a lot of thought put into their design.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Imo, Mario seems to be one of the most balanced in the game, he can do pretty much everything to some degree. Everything except for cape is rather balanced.

I also agree Pit and Diddy are balanced in general (tho Diddy's up-b is a bit over the top).

From what Iv seen, all 3 characters seem to revolve around winning every hit rather than long combos. I don't usually see 4 or 5 hit strings from either Diddy or Mario, and while Pit can, they don't happen as often as characters like Falcon or Wolf.

interestingly, it seems Peach functions very similar, in that she wins through hitting the opponent whenever she can, rather than long combos. Imo she is also a balanced character.

My thoughts

Vashimus

Smash Master
For me, it would definitely have to be Link. He's just such a versatile character. I can't seem to find much wrong with the elfish hero man-boy that wouldn't sound like nitpicking.

Marth is an incredibly well-designed character too, but as Kink said, he does make some match-ups look pretty free.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think ZSS is fairly rounded in this build, with a need for just a few touchups to make her moves link and work more properly.

If her moves linked together any more than they already do, I'd say she combos too easily. She's already combos almost as well as C. Falcon and has a better recovery and an incredibly good projectile.

Wolf is very well balanced.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Ahhhh. Yeah, Usmash is pretty much only reliable to harass platforms. Though, I don't really think it needs to do any more than that.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I think Wolf is pretty awesome rounded and balanced. He's good but far away from being too good and also far away from being bad.
Diddy is also on that level. And Zard imo.

Those are characters where I feel like they shouldn't get changed anymore (apart from zards nair, what where they thinking???)

Maybe even Wario.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Charizard's nair was changed to be a top-down design. That meaning the animation was made, then properties applied befitting the animation: The tail swooping sideways hits the enemy sideways. The new nair has applications, but it isn't by any means the great setup tool it was in 2.1. It gained just about as much as it lost, but in doing so made the move feel less whole/consistent. The new flub hitboxes are nice on it, but it really would be better to just have the consistent knockback on his sweetspot. Best of both worlds would be to have the new flub hits with the old consistent upaward knockback. The funnest part of 2.1 Charizard for me was using the downward disjoint through platforms to start an off-the top kill combo. Alright, funnest besides using the move's fast startup and long range as a big denial to most attacks.

Plus we all know doing latehit nair -> DJ bair is a way cooler edgeguard than his tail just lazily swishing them sideways.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
It makes me sick everytime I see someone say Marth is well designed and balanced (in terms of abilities, not tier placement/MU spread). Which is all the time.

I'll agree that he is beat by a decent # of characters and its not like I'm salty about a specific players or matchups to say this; I just think Marth is a really dumb, almost flowcharty character.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
It was stated at one point that every character should be as strong as Melee top tiers, so therefore, Fox and Falco are technically the most balanced characters. Can't believe I just said that, but whatever.

That aside, I actually think Lucario is pretty much perfectly balanced. He's about where we would want most of the cast in terms of power, and is pretty unique in concept, without having one aspect being particular frustrating for the opponent. I feel that Pit and Mario are in a similar position, but their projectiles are actually extremely frustrating to deal with, and Pit's is honestly somewhat overpowered. The amount of kill opportunities it can create on high % opponents is kind of ridiculous.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
wario, wolf, dk, and mario are all very well balanced. each has strengths and weaknesses and none are too good at anything. and they all fight you.

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
I agree about characters like Mario being the most balanced. Some characters don't really need much changing. Characters like Ike also got balanced. Ike was too strong in 2.0. Its great to see characters that weren't really viable in Melee and Brawl have a much more fighting chance now. .

Vashimus

Smash Master
It makes me sick everytime I see someone say Marth is well designed and balanced (in terms of abilities, not tier placement/MU spread). Which is all the time.

I'll agree that he is beat by a decent # of characters and its not like I'm salty about a specific players or matchups to say this; I just think Marth is a really dumb, almost flowcharty character.
Hey, I hate facing Marth too. By well-designed I don't mean well-balanced, I mean his moveset is extremely effective, albeit simple.

iode

Smash Cadet
The top 4 melee tiers, that is, Falco, Fox, Marth, and Sheik are possibly the most balanced characters right now, especially since the game is balanced around matching their high viability in the melee environment with other characters. It's hard to grant the crown of most balanced to the brawl newcomers because their meta games are in such infancy compared to the utterly and completely threshed out meta game of the top 4 tiers in melee.

D

Deleted member

I'd say Wolf, Pit, Peach, and DK are fairly well-balanced. Mario too, although I am pretty scared of his homicidal yellow blanket.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord

How is Marth a dumb flow chart character?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Even if you DI out of his reach, its doesn't seem like it takes much effort or personal risk on his part to follow after them and spam sword again. He can autopilot quite successfully except at very high levels of play. I'm not saying that he is too good or needs to be changed, I just don't understand why people consider that "well designed".

I'm willing to consider explanations of why I am wrong, but lacking a projectile and requiring decent spacing doesn't do it for me.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I'd be happy to create a flowchart in mspaint that almost every good player follows.
Do it up. I just don't see what makes him more flow chart then other characters. I would honestly like an explanation. Could give me more insite into the character. I see Marth as a character with a well defined strategy that is wise to stick to. I think this is ideal for a character. It means he has good options.

bryu_1337

Smash Journeyman
I've been telling people since 2.5b came out that mario feels the most balanced. The addition of the doc fair really helped that, imo. And his dair actually being effective helps a lot, too. His up b still has that great priority and even though it lacks as a recovery, the wall jump at the end really helps him a lot by giving him better options. However, he really has to work had against those faster characters and characters with better range, which helps balance him overall.

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
Mario ain't balanced he borderline one of the best characters in the game besides melee standard top tier. He is beyond buffed from Melee's Mario/Doc. The most balanced is definitely somewhere around Shiek/Marth/Peach. Fox's move set is balanced enough in a way to ensure a win though, def the best move set.

D

Deleted member

Mario ain't balanced he borderline one of the best characters in the game besides melee standard top tier. He is beyond buffed from Melee's Mario/Doc. The most balanced is definitely somewhere around Shiek/Marth/Peach. Fox's move set is balanced enough in a way to ensure a win though, def the best move set.
I don't understand your logic. So Mario can't be balanced because he's one of the better characters in the game, but Shiek, despite also being one of the better characters in the game, is balanced?

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
What is your definition of balanced

Mario feels like a beast and in Project M I'd put him up there with the Melee top tiers design wise. He's insanely capable in literally every scenario I've played him or played as him in and maining him for me has felt like the equivalent of setting the game to easy mode, where you don't need to l-cancel or worry about being combo'ed or put effort into combos or nuthin. You just whoop ass full stop :p Most other characters still need to be brought up to Mario's level in some fashion before I'd be comfortable calling him balanced. but hey i'm probably full o ****

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
"Easily arguably"?
http://eslus.com/LESSONS/GRAMMAR/POS/pos5.htm

An adverb is usually defined as a word that gives more information about a verb, an adjective or another adverb

Better- Adjective
Arguably- Adverb describing "Better"
Easily- Adverb describing "Arguably"

It sounds and looks janky, but is a wholly genuine sentence meaning it is easy to argue that Peach and Sheik are both better than Mario.

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
I would say Mario feels stronger than Peach and Sheik right now. LOL at the Marth flowchart

Top Bottom