• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you main and why?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I main :falco: and :rob: due to falco's projectile game and very fast speed, and ROB due to his fantastic aerial movement and KO potential. What about you guys?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
:ganondorf: for the power and the easy set-ups
:link2: for the projectile spam and the better than lack luster attacks he had in Brawl
:kirby2: in teams
:bowser2: for the power and that sexy armor/spin
:ivysaur: because I'm a jerk

I could go into detail, but I think I explained myself well enough

Bleck

Smash Master
Star Fox characters, because I love Star Fox. I'm not good, though.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Ganon and Marth. They've got a lot of good ways to chain people.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not 100% sure why I play Dedede.

I picked him up in a serious way sometime around 2.5 I guess. Something about the way he works, how he functions. I've always loved grabbing and gimping, and Dedede does both of those pretty damn well. I find him interesting. He's not Melee. I don't mean that as a compliment or an insult. I played Melee since the day it came out, and I played it competitively for most of that time. When I say that Dedede is not Melee, I mean that he doesn't feel like a character in the game that I played for 12 years and a game that I had gotten tired of. And I like that about him. His style. How he thrusts his will upon the opponent but still has to play carefully, because he can get punished hard. It's a very nice risk-reward setup.

And I love the Kirby series. Kirby's Adventure on the NES was one of my favorite games as a kid.

I also play Meta Knight.

When Brawl was being hyped up and things were being released every day on the Dojo, I was at the height of my own personal Smash Bros hype. Meta Knight got revealed. I said to myself (and on these forums a looooong time ago) that I was going to main Meta Knight. Unfortunately Brawl was not was I was hoping it would be and Meta Knight in that game turned out to be a ***** anyway.

But my love of the Kirby games and Meta Knight persisted and I was super hype for his release in PM. And I liked him right away. He felt like the Meta Knight I always hoped for (at least hoped for since 2007 or so).

And I play Kirby because Kirby. Dreamland Dreamteam.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Meta Knight - because he hits people alot.

I did come from Brawl but I didn't like MK in that; he had a blandness to him so I played Ness. Moving to PM Ness changed very little, in my view, while other characters had more. From playing Melee I loved Marth with his DD, grab game, and disjoint and so when 2.6 came out I slowly found out that Meta Knight had all this and more.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Roy - I just love the guy, I love how he's not as fast as Marth but has incredible combo setups and even more so in Project M, that I personally think it's just terrifying.
Samus (regular Samus) - I've always loved the galaxy's sexiest bounty hunter and I just love how she has a fair amount of power within a character that is surprisingly floaty, and the good-old tether recovery! Oh, and Super wave dash, c'mon you can't tell me that's not sexy.

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
I play Kirby and Meta Knight because most of what 9bit said

The most coming from the fact that I don't like Dedede

He's a penguin that needs to be shipped back to Antarctica

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
tbh idk why I play DeDeDe. He's not that great, and I can tell that. However, some things about him just kind of clicked once and I discovered that despite his shortcomings I could play pretty well with him pretty easily, or I could do better with him than with other characters.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
tbh idk why I play DeDeDe. He's not that great, and I can tell that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftxgpKB1bbk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezXa50umX4Y D3 is pretty dang good.

Oh well, Lets see...

:mewtwopm: Because... Well... He is just awesome. I have thought Mewtwo was awesome since the first Pokemans movie. Dem feels... Dem feels...
:roypm: Because I just always liked his playstyle and the slightly stronger and slower versions of other characters. (Marth)
:falco: Because... ↑ and theeeem DAir and Side Special... They just feel so perfect.
:sonic: Because he is just sooooo goooooooood. #Wizzrobe :p

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Ness/Lucas because I play characters from franchises that I like. MOTHER happens to be my favourite franchise in smash.
Olimar, because pikmin.
Anybody else just happens to be fun to play as or I'm comfortable playing.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftxgpKB1bbk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezXa50umX4Y D3 is pretty dang good.

Oh well, Lets see...

:mewtwopm: Because... Well... He is just awesome. I have thought Mewtwo was awesome since the first Pokemans movie. Dem feels... Dem feels...
:roypm: Because I just always liked his playstyle and the slightly stronger and slower versions of other characters. (Marth)
:falco: Because... ↑ and theeeem DAir and Side Special... They just feel so perfect.
:sonic: Because he is just sooooo goooooooood. #Wizzrobe :p
DDD has some fundamental inadequacies that are just part of his character and won't be changed. He's fat and doesn't have very good mobility besides waddle dashing.
But no, he's definitely not the worst character, but in a metagame so undeveloped, I wouldn't go by tourney results either.

Senpai♥

"I'm an earthquake in a can!"
I've always been a big fan of :bowser2: in every Mario game. He just has this amazing personality, especially in the RPG games. His punish-heavy playstyle makes him a real blast to play on top.

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Mario is really the only way to go, because if its not mario, its either an anime character, a furry, or something you would expect a furry/anime fan to put up on deviant art. Mario is the character for when your balls are just so big that they get repelled by your average trashy smash bros character

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
lucario! he's the first character i picked up in PM and he was my secondary back in brawl. but yeah i started playing him in 2.6b and just really loved how the character was built and worked. gotta love being able to mash buttons with a purpose. he's a lot of work but he's so satisfying to play once you get used to his mechanics and combo game.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Ike
I dunno, being able to consistently jump to U-Smash/Grab/wavedash/etc is pretty satisfying to do and he has a great punish/edge game to boot.

Oh and I started on 2.0... yeah that has something to do with it too.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I'll always have that love for :mario2:, having grown up with all of his classic games (SMB1, 2, 3, World, 64, Sunshine), and maining him in every smash game (aside from :drmario: in SSBM). :denzel:

:link2:, and :ness2: are the characters I'll play because I like their games/franchises.

I have to admit though, :falcon:, :fox:,and :marth: make me reeeeaaaaaaalll jealous. I'd like to learn more and improve with those characters.

That's seven (EDIT: now it's six. Told you I was indecisive!) characters, right? I can't decide on the last few characters to fill out a top ten for the life of me between :dk2:, :bowser2:, :samus2: :luigi2:,:falco:, :snake:, and:sonic:.

That in mind, I'm always open to suggestions. I'm so indecisive. hahaha.

Last edited:

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
:falco: because obsessively trying to learn how to pillar is what really got me into Melee in the first place.
:falcon: because I am not opposed to combos.
:peach: because she plays so differently than the rest of the roster, and I really enjoy her unique play style.
:ike: because quickdraw-->pivot jump-->bair KO is the most hype thing ever.
:zerosuitsamus: because she has a great personality.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Well for myself I main :luigi2: because he's the one character I feel as if though I can relate with. (he's live's in the shadow of his older brother, and...... so do I :sadeyes:)

Singe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I favour Mario because his recovery can lead to unexpected punishes. His range is also more effective in Project M along with his buffed up moves, so you get the best of Mario in there ;) Undoubtedly he can mix his game up far more than any other previous games, allowing him to become an effective opponent against all of the roster.

His cape is also devastating to all characters if used correctly. It does not boost up any recoveries like it did in Brawl, making it a set-up for any of Mario's punishes, which usually includes F-smash and F-air.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
:peach: As soon as that scene with Game and Watch came up in the Subspace Story, I was like "omg gonna main asap omg." I like her floatiness and her multiple ways of attacking. I always liked her because she comes off as a badass princess while still maintaining a peaceful disposition for a majority of the time.

:ike: Ain't gonna lie, it's because he is hot in FE9 and then hotter in FE10. I also like his gameplay which is on the simple side, but he is a pretty scary guy to mess up around.

:jigglypuff: Too adorable. I like how she's a mainly aerial unit which gives me a lot of time to play around and stall.

:zelda: I like how satisfying her kicks is. Falling down to the stage when someone is expecting to Uair me, then sweetspotting a lightning kick is just so amazing. :3c

:lucario: Is pretty fun, he's got nice combos and his mobility is pretty decent too. I mostly picked him up because I want to use more male characters.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Samus and Link because Metroid and Zelda are two of my favorite video game franchises.

Never played an MGS game, but I greatly enjoy playing a sneaky and crafty Snake as well.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
:yoshi2: because he's my favorite character. I mained him in 64, used him a lot in Melee, and now he's finally a beast.

:roypm: because he is our boy

:dk2: because he gets so much off of grabs, and I just generally like his style

:lucario: because he was my Brawl main, and he was so beast in 2.1 and I refuse to drop him completely.

:warioc: because WAH!!!!!!!

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
:luigi2: because I like sliding across stages, also that Nair.

:snake:Just cuz I love MGS.

:roypm: I loved playing him in Melee and when I found out he was garbage competitively I stopped playing him, now that he's viable in PM I picked him up again.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I don't actually main anyone I think.

But for the sake of everything let's just say Roy.

Because Ph1r3

NWRL

Smash Ace
DDD has some fundamental inadequacies that are just part of his character and won't be changed. He's fat and doesn't have very good mobility besides waddle dashing.
But no, he's definitely not the worst character, but in a metagame so undeveloped, I wouldn't go by tourney results either.
MC Ride and Yung Lean? I think you're my favorite person on this board.

On topic: Ike, literally the most satisfying combo game in Project M imo. He's powerful, his punish game is mad good, he has really good aerials, his counter is amazing if used properly. He's just really well rounded, satisfying and he's the only FE protag that has had their balls drop. (Except Hector but he's not playable)

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
:lucas: Mainly because he is the best smash character i have ever played with and he fits my offensive and fast playstyle. Plus he buffed my tech skill and knowledge a whole lot.
:falco: because he was the first character i mained on melee and i have always stuck with him. Getting better and better.

:roypm: is my N***a lol. But seriously i love roy. He was my second character i chose to play on melee and I loved the fact he had a sword with a hint of fire. He is powerful and has alot of pros but also has many cons. I play with constantly on 3.02. His revamp is epic

Last edited:

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
:link2: I decided to main as link ever since the original smash bros but decision was influenced because of how much I loved Oot when I was little lol, I Mean link was awesome he had bombs, a boomerang, used a sword and shield, and I thought his outfit was pretty cool

:roypm: several years since the last time I played SSB64 I decided to play a new game that had come out with a couple a guys I met in middle school, now at the time I don't know why I didn't just pick Link right off the bat but instead I decided I'll give the fire emblem characters a chance, I didn't like Marth to much but to me Roy felt good to play as so in melee I decided to main as Link and have Roy as my secondary

:kirby2: Kirby was a unique case see, I always liked messing around with him in all the games but I never considered him as a character I main as, but a month before 3.0 came out me and my friend decided to play the original smash because he was sprouting of some nonsense like nobody he knows could beat him, so we loaded up the game he chose Yoshi and I chose Link and I lost, so because i lost he started to go on about how I couldn't beat his second jump, so remembering kirby's down air was a multiple hitting spike i accepted his challenge and destroyed him with it lol, ever since I've been playing more and more as kirby, of course I'm nowhere near how good I am with Link or Roy but eventually he'll get there

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
lucario! he's the first character i picked up in PM and he was my secondary back in brawl. but yeah i started playing him in 2.6b and just really loved how the character was built and worked. gotta love being able to mash buttons with a purpose. he's a lot of work but he's so satisfying to play once you get used to his mechanics and combo game.
I'm with you 100%!
I also mess around with mewtwo, roy and ivysaur. But I love playing as lucario.

NonSequtur

Smash Cadet
:marth: because I love the spacing/baiting game and spikes. Plus that grab range.
:peach: Because float-cancelling is fun.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Funny story.

I sucked at Smash. As in, I didn't know how to do smashes and used to think you had to use specials to KO people. That bad. My friends were pretty casual and would tell me to "just mash buttons" when I'd ask them if there was any way to get better. They weren't malicious but just grew up with the game and knew how to play it sort of intuitively. Regardless, I really wanted to beat my best friend Jess at Smash 64, so I got an emulator, practiced with Captain Falcon over one summer, but never really got anywhere.

Sophomore year and junior year go by and I find myself living with my buddy Stephen. I'd gotten big into gaming over junior year, and Stephen and I played Halo a lot together. But this summer for some reason he brings over his Wii for the summer, and he, his girlfriend and I play Brawl. Once again, I suck. We play pretty regularly and Stephen is pretty helpful when it comes to games (I used to suck at Halo, too) and asks what kind of character I'm looking for. I tell him fast and good recovery, but not Pikachu (:p). We got through a couple cycles - (I kept trying to KO things with Dolphin Slash as Marth, lol) when for some reason, I decide to play Stephen's main, Ike.

And something just clicks.

Reach. Power. Stephen was surprised that I chose someone with such a linear recovery after what I told him I wanted, but anyone can tell you Ike isn't exactly easy to edgeguard. Sure, he was slow, but hitting with Ike was rewarding and I was willing to put in the practice. When to swing, when to charge, which attack to use - I figured it all out using Ike. Smashes, dodging, more "advanced" gameplay - Ike was the character I was using to improve. And suddenly, I was the best Smasher in the group.

That was Brawl, though. With the start of the school year, a friend of mine brought along her gamecube and Melee disc. I had seen a Captain Falcon v/s Marth video of Melee online just to check it out (Ken v/s Isai as I would later discover) and it had seemed a lot more exciting and faster than the slow Ike v/s Marth videos I had dug up on Youtube. So we decide to play Melee one night. I was a huge Fire Emblem fan by this point and so since there was no Ike, I played Marth. And right away I could tell something was different from Brawl because HOLY HELL GODDAMN.

And I was hooked. This was MY GAME. Swords, speed, power, reach, charge in screaming all day - that was how I played and Melee favored that 1000 times more than Brawl ever had. I looked up actual videos and tutorials and began learning actual advanced gameplay, haha. Short hops, techs, L-cancels, actually using the C-Stick. To the point where I'm about ten times better than the guy who had to teach me how to dodge. And I've never lost a set to Jess, since.

(Oh, yeah, I also caught Mango v/s Metroid somewhere around last semester, saw that Ike and downloaded P:M the next microsecond. And here we are.)

So yeah. I like Ike.

Doser

Smash Ace
:fox::falco::sheik:
:wolf::metaknight::lucas:

Fox, Falco, and Shiek are my three favorite characters to play in melee, and all three have transfered very well to Project M. I like how fast paced both fox and falco are, as well as how I can change up play style with them. I also enjoy practicing tech skill, so the space animals were a natural fit in melee. Sheik is another favorite simply because she is a very satisfying character to play as, her gimps and overall feel are a marked difference from the space animals which is a nice change of pace.

Wolf, MK, and Lucas are (at least so far) the PM characters that I've found the most enjoyable. Wolf was an obvious pick given how much I like fox and falco, his combos and moveset are different enough that he doesn't feel rehashed in the slightest. I never played much Brawl, so I didn't have much of an idea how MK should or should not play as, after trying him I could see a good semblance to Shiek in terms of his grab game. MK's gimp game, grab game, and stage presence seem to be pretty enjoyable on the whole. Lucas is another technical, fast paced character, which gives me something to practice by myself as well as some semblance to the space animals. He has probably the best shield pressure in the game and great combos, though I am a little worried about his offstage game compared to what I am used to.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
Even though I had been playing smash since 64, Roy was actually the first character I learned to play well. Even though I would stop using him in melee (in favor of Doc, who is my PM secondary), I always had a fondness for Roy and his playstyle, and continued to use him in 4 player free-for-alls.

Even though I know why he (and Doc) got removed from brawl, I was still quite disappointed. Now that PM has brought both of my melee mains into the game, I am glad to say I main both, and hope to see them return in SSB4 (however unlikely that may be).

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Squirtle because people think he is bad but he's not, most squirtle players just herp derp withdraw all over the stage and get bodied because of it, if the opponent's crouch canceling ruins your strategy, you're doing it wrong.

Also ZSS because she was my brawl main and she is a beautifully designed character in P:M. Her grab game is high risk high reward, it's fun.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Squirtle because people think he is bad but he's not, most squirtle players just herp derp withdraw all over the stage and get bodied because of it, if the opponent's crouch canceling ruins your strategy, you're doing it wrong.

Also ZSS because she was my brawl main and she is a beautifully designed character in P:M. Her grab game is high risk high reward, it's fun.
No it's the opposite, few if any are truly masters of the withdraw.

Top Bottom