• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you main and why?

MWEX

Smash Apprentice
:sonic: : Because he was my childhood fav. character
:roypm: : Because he was my favorite character in melee

EpicLolz53

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicLolz
3DS FC
3050-7860-8570
:ivysaur::kirby2:: I quickly got good at using these two. They have great aerial movement, recoveries, and they overall fit my playstyle.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
:roypm: because he always peaked my interest. I liked Marth's moveset but his dependence on spacing and hitting with the tip bothered me. Since I heard that Roy has similar moves but a different style, I picked him up and he become an instant favourite. So yeah, I like the way he plays. That's pretty much it.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
:rob: because laser sniping people's double jumps
:rob: because airdashing
:rob: because stage control with gyro and laser
:rob: because quick movement with gyro glide tosses
:rob: because airdodging out of airdashes for wavelands and gyro pick ups
:rob: because uair
:rob: because ftilt, fsmash, and dtilt pokes
:rob: because offstage gimps for years
:rob: because efficient kill moves
:rob: because airdashing onto the stage, wavelanding back off, repeating. I call it edge dancing
:mewtwopm: because teleport, wavedash, and dtilt, and badass throws

909_Venom_909

Smash Rookie
:diddy: 1) The tech skill requirement to be truly amazing with him feels rewarding.
2) I feel he's the best character in the game
3) nobody to date has played him the way he could be played

SvenFletcher

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2165-7173-1188
:warioc::luigi2::mario2::roypm::lucas::ganondorf::ness2::falcon::link2:EVERYONE AAAAAAAAAAAA PMBR WHY'D YOU MAKE IT SO HARD FOR ME TO CHOOSE A MAIN

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
:ike: Loved him in FE10, loved him in Brawl, and I reeeally love him in P:M. All his QD options make him even more fun to play. Going for his OHKO in casual FFAs is infinitely amusing, and THEY MADE HIS ERUPTION BLUUUUE.
:pit: He's got everything I like in a character, and he's an angel, so that's cool. Arrows all day erryday (yay for more control), and something about him really clicks for me. ...and some sappy personal reasons, but no one wants to hear those, lol.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
:ike: Loved him in FE10, loved him in Brawl, and I reeeally love him in P:M. All his QD options make him even more fun to play. Going for his OHKO in casual FFAs is infinitely amusing, and THEY MADE HIS ERUPTION BLUUUUE.
:pit: He's got everything I like in a character, and he's an angel, so that's cool. Arrows all day erryday (yay for more control), and something about him really clicks for me. ...and some sappy personal reasons, but no one wants to hear those, lol.
Nice sig. Where's the Ike pic from?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
:luigi2:: Going to start with him as he's my favorite of the characters I main in terms of the story behind it. This one dates all the way back to when his stock icon looked like this :luigi64:. I was really young, almost too young to be playing Smash, really. I had Smash 64 on the Nintendo 64 my cousin had let me have after he got a PS1, and I loved it. When it came to Smash, I would set up the TV, or get it set up, and then I would turn on the console and pick Mario to enjoy Single Player or invite my friends and cousins over for multiplayer. It was great. However, something about single player bothered me. And it was Luigi. As a kid, I loved this guy more than Mario, and to this day, I still have no idea why. I had liked the color green a lot as a kid, same with today, so I'm guessing my little kid head made that connection and attached itself to Luigi. With this fascination, I invited one of my cousins over, in particular, the one who was good at Smash and gave me the N64. I had just gotten internet at the time, and he had suggested I look up Luigi. After ignoring all of the early era of cheat codes online, like bowser in Smash 64 among other things, I found the method to unlock Luigi and I set myself on doing it. My cousin did most of the work, but I chipped in with Mario's target test as his was the only one I could do. We did it last so it would be Mario vs. Luigi. I beat Luigi, and unlocked him. Immediately after playing him, I fell in love. Melee came out later and it wasn't that much later, so I still had this fascination with Luigi, and so I unlocked him right away and used him. It's been that way ever since, Luigi was my first main ever.

:mario2:: With that big story on Luigi, this guy is gonna feel a bit underscored in comparison. My love of Mario started with 64, of course. He was the character closest to Luigi I could pick until I unlocked Luigi. When I was younger, up until the release of Brawl, I was on-off with Mario, and it's not like Brawl Mario is my favorite Mario, but when Brawl came out I was much older and I ended up using Mario a lot more because he was basically my childhood. While I still love Luigi more, Mario is not far behind.

:roypm:: Ah, Roy. Melee introduced so many characters to me, and I had fun with a lot of them, but none quite so much as Roy. Him and Luigi were the go-to guys that I really had a blast playing. Roy was interesting too, as I had no idea what to think of him when I first unlocked him. Marth left literally no real impression on me, surprisingly, and while a lot of people liked him, I was kind of "meh" on him at the time. But Roy was much cooler to my younger self at the time, and I used him a lot. Nice to see him back in action in P:M without the whole "being bad" thing.

:warioc:: It was that time of year. Early Brawl trailers were coming out and I was excited. I had first seen them at school using the internet, but I'd always cut it off before I could see all the reveals, thanks to homework. I was too busy at home to really see the trailers until that fateful weekend when I watched all of them, and when Wario showed up, I was excited. I was a good deal more mature than I was when I played Melee, and I had developed a love for Wario branching from the Wario Land games I recently got to play. Seeing him here made me extremely happy. When it came time to play with him, I was still amused. Even if his animation and gimmick seems strange to some, I was just happy he was there, being Wario. Project M perfected him, but there wasn't really much to perfect in my eyes.

:ganondorf:/:falcon:: There comes a time where everyone has to step out of their comfort zone when they play a Smash game, and so that's what I did with these two. The first one I did it with was Ganon, in Project M to be exact. Ganon was such a far departure from any character I had mained. None of them were quite as bulky and slow as Ganon was, and he forcefully taught me to learn mechanics and some AT. After that, Ganon became quite fun. Despite him being overall weaker than most of the cast, he can still hold his own and deliver blows of sheer power and gusto, and I really liked that. For Falcon, this was a very recent discovery. Trying to once again break the comfort zone, I decided to pick a speedy character that would take effort to control and move around with. Fox was a no-go as he was too much button presses, so I looked at Falcon instead. It was a challenge getting used to how he worked, especially after Ganon, but eventually I got the hang of it and I am now grade-A mediocre with him, as opposed to bad.

I'm still not that great at Smash, average at best, but I enjoy it so much and it has done a lot for me. Thank you Project M for making it even more fun!

Mr_Sweet

Smash Cadet
:falconmelee:- Because he's got magnet hands and THE KNEEE
:dkmelee:-Because his grab game is insane
:roymelee:-Because I mained marth in melee but always liked roy more, and now he's viable so yes please.
:017:-Because he's my best melee character and he feels basically identical but easier tech.
:mario64:- Because mario is beastly in PM

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys Im trying to create an updated tier list since Apex and 3.0 being out for 2 months, I am putting in tourny results as before and trying to make a community tier list that reflects the most recent of opinions so if you guys could help and vote in the survey thatd be great! Im posting in a lot of threads so there can be more more opinions as that will reflect more accurately so please vote!

The first one has you rank each character individually 1-41, I arranged it to what I think so it can be easier but itll still take a little time.
<a href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GDPZ53B">Click here to take survey</a>

If you dont care as much and/or dont wanna spend as much time then this one is just rankings based on tier.
<a href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GD3NDM9">Click here to take survey</a>

Please dont just destroy it with joke rankings. Thanks!

Aidebit

Smash Journeyman
:fox: Because Melee.

But for real:
:marth:I feel that he's a very fluid character, and if you play him, you'll be able to improve on your fundamentals.

Guel

Smash Journeyman
Big fan of characters that have options at all ranges. I enjoy picking characters that arent as common. Was always a fan of chibi sized stuff so it led me to these two.
:lucas: (Main)Movement So smooth. Dacus too fun.Bair too sexy.
-Never played mother
-Telekenetic characters cool in my eyes.
-Mewtwo too common/overused.
- Never liked ness. He uses a baseball bat...i hate baseball. Never liked the yoyo.
:toonlink:(2nd Main) Projectile game is serious. Childhood Favorite.
-Never played Zelda on DS. Played OoT/Majoras Mask.
-Thought Link was cool. Seen Toon Link as a chibi link.
:ike:(3rs Main) Mind games . Swords are cool.
-Never played Fire Emblem.
-Marth was overused in melee.
-Roy was cool in melee but was inferior to Marth. Coming into ProjectM too many people started to play him.

Occasionally play:
:falconmelee: Used to be a main till I realized anyone with tech skill can play him. Every character has their BnBs ofc however as you play the game with your main you develop a playstyle of your own. Mixing in the pro **** with your own flavor/tactics. This is why every player plays different than another player even if theyre using the same character. Caps moves however are too basic. All caps play the same. So he was dropped from being my main but hes still fun as *** so i still play him.
:samus2: Childhood Favorite. Played/beat Metroid1 and 2. Melee she was boring but PMs revamp made her fun
:olimar: Looks funny. Makes me Laugh. Enjoy throwing pikmin. Moveset too simple/boring though.

Old Mains:
N64-:kirby2: who didnt?

Melee-
:sheik: Started with kirby then one day messed around with shiek and picked up easy wins. Was a casual player at the time. Thought it was me but it actually was the character in itself being so simple like Mario in ProjectM. (*** you Mario). Eventually started playing competitively and rolled with her for awhile.
:fox: Wanted someone that took more skill. Fox became my new main. My Fingers couldnt keep up back then though so used him on and off.
Brawl- :sonic: Childhood Favorite. Once brawl dropped me and my friends went back to melee. For the short time we did play it sonic was who I used.

Last edited:

Tesla_Coil

Smash Cadet
:toonlink: His projectile game and setup game are so much fun. I feel like I can play both defensive (projectile camping) and offensive (aerial combos) with him. He speed around the stage suits my play style as well. Also, Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game and possibly favorite game of all time.

:roypm: I love Fire Emblem and he's my favorite of the three characters at the moment because his combo game feels the most creative and he plays aggressive very well.

didds

Smash Lord
:mewtwopm: slippy slidey teleport swag, and if you don't blast me off the side or top of the stage, im makin it back

:squirtle: slippy slidey shell shift swag, and squirtle is a secret little zoning beast who can invade your space in a split second regardless of his current momentum *cough* side b *cough*

:yoshi2: Spent way too much time on dumb melee yoshi tech not to use him. Plus not many folks use him. Plus Plus his neutral b's range is a thing of beauty. chuck norris tier special grab

UltimateWario

Smash Master
In order-
:samus2:Because I love Metroid and her character, and she just naturally fits the way I play.
:mewtwopm:He's my favorite Pokemon, and I used him frequently back in Melee.
:warioc:Because he's my favorite fictional character and an all-around badass. I'm not as good with him as I wish I was, but I still love playing him.

SciCore

Filthy Casual
:lucario: I find him the most fun to use, even though I suck at using him.
:samus2: Use her on every now and then because its fun to spam missiles at my friends.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
:lucario: Cause he is the best character in the game :p

The mobility is really fun; dash, horizontal fc, multi jump. And the combos are fun with also the very satisfying hammer kills.
:olimar:Olimar is underrated and is fun to use if you manage his pikmin correctly, kinda hard to keep track of the game at hand and management, but with practice its fun! He does look boring to play unless you understand all of what he is doing.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Lot of people who main character from their favorite franchise, dat loyalty. :)

Motobug

Project M/+ community leader
:sonic: because YOU'RE TOO SLOW
:mario2: because he's a freakin' combo machine. I swear he can combo anything int anything.
:lucas: because he's fast and powerful.
THE END

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
:sheilda:Zelda specifically because I played her in Brawl casually for years so I grew attached.
:fox::wolf:Pressing buttons is a lot is fun as hell and Star Fox is just raw.
:lucario:One of my favorite Pokemon.
:peach::jigglypuff:Just characters that seem to fit well with me.
:roypm::mewtwopm::kirby2::falcon:I love to beat on spacies.
:mario2:I love the feel of mario in Melee/PM and that's basically it.
:marth:Ken Combos.
:squirtle::pikachu2::zerosuitsamus::samus2:Characters I try and force myself to learn because I love them. Especially Samus.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
It turns out all this time I've been maining Kingvan DooDooDooze and didn't realize it

How silly of me

Peño

Smash Rookie
:yoshi: I started playing him a lot in Brawl because I never really had a signature character and none of my friends played him. What made me really want to get serious with him was seeing aMSa at Apex this year. That was insane.
Also I may get hate for this, but Yoshi's Island is still the only Mario Bros game that I've ever completed.

medsote

Smash Rookie
I main :toonlink: because of his reach and speed. He is so nimble it is awesome. I love him.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
:marthmelee: was my first main in Melee before I knew any ATs

but everything changed when the SHFFL nation attacked

I picked up :falconmelee:

:falconmelee: is cool and has heavy jump physics and rad combo ability

but I really like :marthmelee:'s moveset

:marthmelee:'s sword plus :falconmelee:'s weight minus :marthmelee:'s tip-of-sword power equals :roymelee:

except :roymelee: is kinda bad

but then the PMBR created :roypm: and he was everything I had ever dreamed of.

...and that's the story of how I became a Ness main.

Peño

Smash Rookie
:marthmelee: was my first main in Melee before I knew any ATs

but everything changed when the SHFFL nation attacked

I picked up :falconmelee:

:falconmelee: is cool and has heavy jump physics and rad combo ability

but I really like :marthmelee:'s moveset

:marthmelee:'s sword plus :falconmelee:'s weight minus :marthmelee:'s tip-of-sword power equals :roymelee:

except :roymelee: is kinda bad

but then the PMBR created :roypm: and he was everything I had ever dreamed of.

...and that's the story of how I became a Ness main.
:denzel: you had me goin there for a second

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
:zerosuitsamus:Speedy, F'n relentless, plus the fact DSmash ->FSmash is a killer, she's basically my version of Fox. Helps that I absolutely loved Metroid Prime.
:popo:Always a dangerous duo, ol Popo and Nana. Plus you can rack up some immense damage with these two.
:falco:Always been the one I picked up since my childhood playing the GC with Melee. Sadly, he's somewhat down my pecking order.
:peach: Armada. F'n Armada man. Watching his Peach play , it made me realize that she was destined to fall into my playing hands. Plus, the stitchface.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Sigh. I can only play one character, and it's :ganondorf:. It's almost as if he's made for me. I'm not happy about it though...

Zoa

Smash Ace
Lucario because he's a sexy character. Stuck with him through all of the version two patches, and I'm pretty sure he'll get the buffs he needs eventually. I would main Link as well, but that felt like stealing some of Hylian's jank.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I main :kirby: because I have always enjoyed his games, he was my original main in N64 Smash, and his Project M-ification is by far his most fun version to play so far.

I main :roypm: because I love having a redhead sword user. And also out of respect for Fire Emblem. Marth and Roy were what got me interested in such a great series when it finally came State-side. His attack range is nice, and unlike Melee Roy, he isn't all around inferior to Marth.

Top Bottom