• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who did you expect to main, and who do you actually main now?

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Expectation:

:4ganondorf: -favourite villain and the baddest most powerful nintendo villain
:4zss:- badass space warrior who can still look beautiful while destroying things
:4myfriends:-god slayer
:4charizard:- I loved using Charizard Y in X/Y, also I love fire type Pokes

Reality:
See above. My mains are as expected. Plus I secondary
:4robinf:- got really attached to that chara after exploring FE:Awakening
:4bowser:- love his playstyle and character
:4lucina:-see Robin

Last edited:

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
I originally wanted to main :4robinf:, :4shulk:, :4marth:, :4zss: and :4villager:

Then when I was looking random Japanese 3ds I wanted to main :4sheik:, and :4villager: even more

When I got my hands on I stayed more or less true to what I wanted.
I now play for funsies :4robinf:, and :4shulk:, and trying to learn :4falcon:
But play seriously :4zss:, :4luigi: and :4sheik: less and less

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I started off planning to main Wii Fit Trainer or Mario.
I wasn't really feeling it though, so I went through little mac, diddy, sheik, falcon, and more.

Right now I am seriously planning on maining random.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Planned on maining :4greninja: and :4robinm: from playing their respective games.

I kept Greninja, but I now use :4sonic: as my 2ndary instead. One of my favorite characters in gaming as a whole (I don't enjoy some of his recent games though), and feels soooooo much better in this game than Brawl.

Valsewald

Smash Rookie
I've never really had a main until Smash 4 since For Glory inspired me to get into the competitive scene. Some of the friends I would play with before were not bad, but most of the time I could just choose Random and beat them no problem, so it's been really refreshing to get my ass whooped every now and then.

I can say that I was expecting to use a lot of Ike, Captain Falcon, Lucina, Rosalina, and Greninja for arbitrary reasons.

After playing a whole lot of For Glory, I've found that I very much enjoy maining Ganondorf, Shulk, and Little Mac, with Lucina as a secondary. I just couldn't get into Rosalina or Greninja, and while I still enjoy playing as Ike, I think the novelty of my new mains is preventing me from using him as often as I want to. I like how the Falcon is handling this time around, but I never seem to pick him since I'm still trying to master his clone. Have to keep the movesets fresh and whatnot.

Zyverah

Smash Rookie
I expected to main:4rob:, and :4link:because I did well with them in brawl. Then I decided to test out other characters and I ended liking :4greninja::4myfriends:and:4duckhunt:. Then time went by and I narrowed it down to :4duckhunt:and:4myfriends: with :4greninja: and:4rob: as secondary. I wanted to use:4shulk: , but I couldn't. I wish :wolf: and :snake: was in the game though.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
I expected :4ness: to be my main, but ended up maining :4ness:.

But in all seriousness, I expected :rosalina: and :4greninja: to be my secondary and tertiary, respectively; however, I ended up with :4megaman: and :4mario:. When I got the demo, I figured I should find a character within the demo that I wanted to play, so I could be at least relatively decent when the full game was released. And thus, :4megaman: became my secondary. I just ended up playing :4mario: because I played him in P:M, as well.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I was so excited to play lucario again, my brawl main. So much so that every bit of lucario fanart got me so hyped for the new game, then when I start to play him again, he feels so much different! He was supposed to be changed for the better, which I was super excited for, (and he IS higher on the tier list now), but he just feels too different to me. Surprisingly, I have found that I'm really good with heavy characters, who I never used in brawl, but I've lost the ability to use medium characters well. It is very strange, but now I main dedede, the heaviest character in the game, a huge change from lucario!

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Mega Man seemed most intriguing to me before the game came out, but I am not that good with him yet.

At the moment, the Mii fighters are my best characters by far when I play online with friends, but that will change. Offline, Bowser is my go to character in most of the game's solo modes of play (as well as co-op event matches where I control two Bowsers with two controllers simultaneously and pwn the last two events on Hard.) Two months simply is not enough time for me to come up with a true overall main just yet, based on history with previous versions of Smash Bros.

If only Mii fighters could be used in With Anyone matches online...

Morbi

Scavenger
I was not sure what to expect as I had a lot of characters that I was interested in; however, I suppose that there were some that stood above the rest.

:4ganondorf:: He was one of my mains for Melee, Brawl, and Project M. He is also my favorite video-game character and one of my favorite antagonists of all time. However, something about him is off-putting in Smash 4. I am not able to identify why I am disinterested in him. I still play him from time to time hoping that he will click with me.

:4lucina:: I was fond of Marth in Melee; however, my sister monopolized not only Marth, but Roy as well. In Brawl, she dropped Marth and that is where my vulture instincts came into effect. I started to use him in Brawl and became fond of his play-style. I figured that Lucina was more for me as I am not really a monster at spacing and I am not a fan of Marth. Lucina, similarly to Ganon, is my favorite female video-game character. She was the heart of Awakening, my favorite 3DS title to this day. The problem? Marth is just more fun and the better fighter.

:4robinf:: Again, I was a huge fan of Awakening and I had some emotional ownership over Robin as, unlike many, I thought that she was the most probable Fire Emblem newcomer. The play-style seemed to fit. I usually associate with zoning characters and I am not fond of overly brain-dead characters. It seemed as though one would need to use higher cognitive functions to use her effectively. I thought the Levin Sword and Tomes would make her complex. I was wrong.

:4charizard:: I did not play him in Brawl because he was attached to Pokemon Trainer. But in Project M, I had quite a run with him. I figured that he was a great character on his own and he was my starter for Pokemon Red so many years ago. He just seems too clunky, not really reminiscent of his fluid Project M incarnation.

I actually main the space animals, or just Fox, I use Falco for fun. I also use Jigglypuff and Little Mac for some weird match-ups if I do not feel as though my Fox is efficient enough. Sometimes I want to go all in (Little Mac) or slow down and play more defensively (Jigglypuff).

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Expected to main Mac and Robin after hyping for them pre-release. Then came Comic-con and I switched to Mac and Bowser. Then I discovered Diddy Kong and now I'm Diddy first and Bowser second and Mac almost never

Azew

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm still maining :4wiifit:, and I have for a long while, but I'm starting to feel like she lacks potential...

:4zelda: :4robinf: :4lucina: :4myfriends: are all characters rushing up to take her place. Who will win?

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I didn't really have any expectations for a main. I just had a list of characters in my head that I was interested in trying out.
:4greninja::4littlemac::4metaknight::4samus::4falcon: I picked Falcon in the end cause he was the one I enjoyed playing the most.

Zenitho

Smash Cadet
I expected to play :4robinm: after seeing his trailer... then after finding out he isnt exactly what I was looking for I moved on to :4wario2: .:4wario2: was alright for awhile but then.. BUT THEN I tried someone who I thought just wouldnt cut it anymore, :4fox: went and stole my heart. Love you :4wario2: but you just arent :4fox:

Louis Pica

Smash Rookie
I went into Smash 4 open minded, but for the longest time I thought Mega Man was going to be my main, but it ended up being Sonic, I still need to work on him a some more, but I'm on the right track.

sparkyb

Smash Rookie
I started out with Captain Falcon on 3DS but when Wii U came out I wanted to work with Falco. He's hard to get used to for me but I'm slowly getting better :)

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
I started in the demo with :4link:, but I was one of those noobs that jumps over people and down-airs constantly. I switched to
:4zss:but still used the same down air tactics. I also had trouble killing, so I switched over to :4rob:. Next, I mained :4alph: and abused his ridiculous grab range and priority. However, I again had a lot of trouble killing. Next, I picked up :4shulk: while occasionally using :4falcon:,:4myfriends:, :4bowser:and :4marth:. I felt like :4shulk: had a lot of lag on his smash attacks so I decided to try out :4diddy:. I was winning but it didn't feel fun constantly doing the same combo over and over again, so I switched to my current main, :4falcon:. I like to use :4ganondorf:, :4dk:, and :4wiifit: once in a while just for fun. Learning all these characters has not only taught me good fundamentals, but it has also taught me how to deal with all of these characters more effectively. I strongly recommend everyone to try and learn many different characters, as it will improve your play a lot. Oftentimes, learning one character will teach you to use other similar characters.

KopAlex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kopalex
Was hyping to play with my dear Samus and still do. No missile canceling is a shame, but anyway she's a lot more fun now.
Kinda having some great fun with Ness too ever since I started playing Earthbound on Wii U.
Still play around with others like C. Falcon, Palutena, Jigglypuff, King DDD and Luigi. I'm glad on Links improvement in this.
Actually dropped Marth and Falco from Brawl. Havent been playing with Olimar as much either.

TheSteveEngine

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSteveEngine
3DS FC
3909-7548-2082
Expected: :4bowser: (from playing the E3 demo) :4duckhunt: (for shock value) :4drmario: (Former Melee main) :4littlemac: (Interesting playstyle)

Early on: :4ganondorf::4bowser::4myfriends::4dedede::4mario::4drmario:

Now: :4drmario:

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
I came in fully expecting to main Lucina. I kind of do, but she's not one of my all time favorites. Sonic is the character I have the most wins with ironically, which is funny because I fully expected to hate him because of Brawl.

I guess I "main" these guys: :4sonic::4peach::4link::4lucina::4shulk:

But there are also a bunch of other characters I just like playing as.

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
I thought I'd main Mario when I first got the game but ended maining Mac for a couple weeks. After realizing that I could never beat a good Mario player I ended up back maining Mario like always.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Totally thought I'd be a Greninja main because of his speed, but I ended up maining Dedede, despite being slow as molasses.
Don't really know why I like him, but he's fun.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
I planned on :4yoshi::4peach::4palutena::rosalina:

Then I ended up using the entire roster. They are all so much fun!!!!

Except for :4sonic::4megaman::4littlemac::4miisword: Not a fan of those 4. The rest tho

Ausdon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ausdon
Originally, I was going to main Pac Man. I had a friend who I was playing with that called me "campy" and I wanted to prove him wrong by picking up a close-combat character. I started with Jigglypuff to practice basic spacing and aerials, and the character just kind of stuck with me. I hit a brick wall with pac anyways, I'm glad I switched. :jigglypuffmelee:

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I was expecting to play a lot of Little Mac, but I have trouble dealing with his weaknesses. I currently main Robin, the character I was most hype for.

MaohX

Smash Rookie
I expected to main Robin mostly, but it seems I'm maining multiple characters, which are Marth, Fox, Kirby, Ness and Captain Thunder Kneecaps--I mean Falcon. I still love playing as Robin but it seems I'm better with Marth in most cases.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Demo made me think I'd main :4link:
Ended up playing 3DS and Wiiu versions and ended up Maining :4rob:. Best choice I've ever made.

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665
Ever since the E3 Trailer, I've been hyped for one of my favorite "Casual" game of all time being in the game now. :4villager:
Then, I received the Demo. Got even more hyped that he was in it, then mained him nicely.

For :4robinm:, I saw his reveal video and got sincerely interested to see how he/she played. Also the fact I make jokes to myself about Magic, and how it's a taboo. (Ehem, Zelda). Afterwards, I bought FE:Awakening! Enjoying how the Avatar is, and ever so appreciating the fact (s)he's here in Smash!
-Expectation::4villager:

-Mains::4villager::4robinm:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Expected: le sonic the hedgehog faec
Reality: Going fast, obvs. Although I have picked up :4duckhunt: as a secondary.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
After a couple dozen FG matches I realized just how different (read: nerfed) Marth is compared to Brawl. Hopped off the struggle bus, played a few games as my girl Sheik and never looked back.

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
I played as Robin all the time when I started the game. Now I barely even scroll over him when selecting a character. After experiencing the game more, I got attached to Ganon, Lucario, and MK.

Those are my mains now.:4ganondorf::4lucario::4metaknight:

JC10101

Smash Rookie
NNID
JC10101
I really wanted to main Shulk. He seemed like a better Ike who was my brawl main, But after trying Ness he just felt so much more fluid and better. I don't regret switching... I guess I'm just not really feeling it.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Once I heard about Dr. Mario being in smash 4, I knew I had to main him with Mario.

For awhile I tried using both characters equally, but now I've notice I have been playing Doc more than Mario lately. I can also say the same thing on Melee also (I used Mario for long as I can remember and now I've grown into Doc).

Top Bottom