• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who did you expect to main, and who do you actually main now?

DoritoCrumbMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoritoCrumbMan
I think just about all of us were hyped to play as "that one character we just gotta main".
I also think just about all of us made an immediate turn around when we realized how much more fun we had playing as a different character, and ditched the anticipated main in general.

Example, I was super excited to main Greninja after his Direct reveal. But as it turns out, while I like him more, I somehow became more interested and comfortable using... Wii Fit Trainer? lol

So any of you guys have this experience? Any particular reasons why you chose not to use your anticipated main?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I intended to make :4megaman: my 3DS main and :rosalina: my Wii U main but the latter ended up being my favourite on both, and :4sonic: became my second favourite. :4megaman: and :4yoshi: are sort of neck in neck for the title of 3rd favourite.

Geno9999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Geno9999
I got excited that Dr. Mario was returning for SSB4, but it seems that Bowser and Lucina are becoming my mains. It's super satisfying when I land a dropkick.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
When the game came out, I was gonna main ZSS, but then I saw I played better with Diddy.

DoritoCrumbMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoritoCrumbMan
I got excited that Dr. Mario was returning for SSB4, but it seems that Bowser and Lucina are becoming my mains. It's super satisfying when I land a dropkick.
I was excited for Dr. Mario too. While I still play him from time to time, the change to his cape physics kinda killed it a bit for me.

Otsillac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gobbledy-gooker
Out of the newcomers, I was stoked for Palutena and Robin, and while I do like them, I don't like them enough to main them. Shulk, to my surprise, ended up being the only newcomer that really clicked with me. (I played Greninja for a while, but he didn't stick)

I was also super excited for Dr. Mario's return, but found I wasn't really fond of his changes.

ME GRIMLOCH

Smash Cadet
NNID
MeGrimloch
I honestly was gonna main bowser because i loved him in brawl and always played him but after trying pac-man out i just had a load of fun with him. Bowser also feels so weird in this game to me.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
I planned on little mac and I still main mac, but what surprised me was Ganondorf, I wasn't planning on maining Ganon at all, but he quickly became one of my best characters.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I expected to main :4robinm:, but after seeing how good :4ness: is finally, he became my main.

Robin is still a close second though.

Last edited:

Geno9999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Geno9999
I was excited for Dr. Mario too. While I still play him from time to time, the change to his cape physics kinda killed it a bit for me.
Yeah, though I thought the Doctor Cape didn't stall as much in Melee either. Doctor Tornado is still useful for recovery though.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I plan to main:4villagerf:but :4shulk:got in the way of that so I main him 24/7.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
At first I jumped on the Greninja train and was so excited when he actually turned out good too, then the nerf hammer came and I found him to be a lot of work for little reward so I dropped him. Falco is always gonna be my staple character but surprisingly I really like shulk.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I was set to play Robin and Zero Suit Samus, yet never is my pre-planning did I expect to main Captain Falcon. But hey, just gotta roll with the punches, ya know? :p

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I expected to main :4falcon:

I now main :4falcon:

If he's in the next game, I will main :4falcon:

ALL ABOUT THAT BOOST POWER.

I will mention that I'm actually quite pleasantly surprised by how fun Falcon is to play in Smash 4 (due to his lackluster Brawl incarnation). In my case it was, pre-release, "I'll main Falcon no matter what." to post-release "Boy, this is working out better than expected!"

The real surprise is the emergence of :4jigglypuff: as a much-used secondary. Puff has a very different playstyle from Falcon, but I really enjoy it. Maybe I'll try to learn Jiggs in PM as wel, since 4 is the first game I ever really tried Puff in.

Last edited:

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Prerelease mains: :4kirby::4ness::4sonic::4megaman::4lucina:
Current mains: :4kirby::4ness::4peach:

:p

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
When my friend told me about :4villager: I flipped and decided that he would be my main. I also planned to have :4kirby::4sonic: and :4duckhunt: to be my secondaries. The demo came out, and I settled on :4link: over :4villager:.

When the 3ds version finally got released, I mained :4lucina:, with :4fox::4littlemac: and :4duckhunt:. The more I played, my lineup changed to:4sheik: being my main, with :4peach: being my secondary.

When the Wii U version came out, I ditched :4sheik: and :4peach:, and picked up :4kirby: since he felt better on the Wii U with :4robinm: being my secondary.

Then I started playing :4pacman: and made him my main with :4kirby:and :4lucina: being my secondaries.

Then I started playing :4luigi: and made him my main (This was before Boss playing him) with nobody else in the lineup. I soon got bored and picked up:4palutena: with :4pacman: being my secondary.

After that mess, I went back to both versions, making :4kirby: my main with :4metaknight: and :4ness: my secondaries.

After a week, :4metaknight: became my main with :4kirby: being #2. This switched back after another week. Another few days after that I dropped :4metaknight:.

Needing more options, I started picking up :4zss: and :4littlemac:for my secondaries, dropping :4littlemac: shortly after.

Now, I still main :4kirby:, and I secondary :4zss:. I am familiar with :4metaknight: and I'm learning:4pikachu: and :4miibrawl:.

TL:DR
I expected :4villager: but ended up with :4kirby:.

Last edited:

isalegend

Smash Rookie
I was really looking forward to Megaman, but when the demo came out I got really disapointed in his playstyle(I don't know what I expected)

Now I main Villager.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Expected Robin, but I still fall back on Marth in a lot of cases since I'm better at handling rushdown with him.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Planned Main(s):

:4mario:: He was my main in the past Smash games and, due to my casual kid self back then, was often the only character I could play.
:4link:: I only ever used him whenever my friends want me to play a character other than Mario. Yes I was that newbie who stuck to mainstream characters (casual sense).
:4sonic:: Hype levels thrust at maximum when I saw him at Brawl and again returning in 4 with Mega Man and Pac Man. I was never good with him in Brawl though...
:4bowser:: All his buffs made me think I can actually play a heavy for once.
:4megaman:: Originally my new main when I tried him out at the demo. That changed a day after I got the game.

Current Main(s) (After testing everyone):

:4shulk:: Out of all the characters, he's the one who made me require to do the most effort in order to be effective. He's my most initially unexpectedly good character transformed into my best.
:4robinf:/(:4robinm:): I ended up liking Robin's patient play over Mega Man and their tome durability helped me remember that spamming projectiles, as any character, isn't always the best answer.
:4marth:/(:4lucina:): While I never got the hang of Marth in the past games, I started loving his playstyle here that he became the only one ever to make me consider using a character over Shulk as my main. I still frequently practice him along with Lucina.
:4luigi:: Okay I admit it was Boss' Luigi that made me open up to him in Smash 4 but I'm starting to appreciate his quirky fighting style in this game. He's my combo-heavy character in most situations.

Characters who were almost mains but didn't/now aren't:
:4mario::4megaman::4sonic::4pit::4littlemac::4bowserjr::4falcon:
(There's so many good characters qq)

Last edited:

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I expected to main :4marth: and ended maining :4marth:.

The real surprise for me was is that I ended making :4jigglypuff: my secondary. When the game coming out I was interest on playing :4villager: and :4robinf: as secondaries too but I haven't got too much practice with them.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Expected to main Marth and only Marth, but now I main ZSS along with, and a little more than, Marth.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Expected to play:
Yoshi because of the buffs I heard about (people said he was stronger then P:M Yoshi. SOLD)
Doc. (P:M Mario. Also, I HATE FLUDD)
Robin: (Tomes/Levin sword seem interesting, but not as complicated as shulk)

Who I actually main:
pretty much everyone listed above. I know my playstyle :) (but bowser where robin/Yoshi aren't well suited. still working on Doc)

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Expected: :4jigglypuff: :4luigi: :rosalina: :4dedede:
Early in the game's life: :4dedede: :4greninja: :4metaknight:
Now: :rosalina: :4greninja:

I guess Dedede's still technically a tertiary, but he really isn't what I was looking for in this game, and I guess never really was. Greninja wasn't a character I had any intention of liking and I was actually a little miffed that he was added in the first place, but he flows well to me. Rosalina made no sense to me at first and I dropped her in 1.0.0, I picked her back up recently and I'm doing much better with her than I used to, though it's still clear to me that I don't fully understand the character yet.

Very sad that my old mains in Jiggs and Luigi don't click with me in this game, but oh well ;_;

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Expected to main Mega man.

Mained a ton of other characters and I just can't choose 1 or 2 or 3 of them. But if I HAD to choose (Excluding Link because hes always my main) I'd say I mained Robin first, Bowser JR second and Rosalina third.

And a whole bunch of other characters.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
I didn't want to jump to conclusions about who I would main before having a chance to try everyone out, but I will say I expected to like Mega Man a lot more than I do. I also had a good feeling Greninja would end up being my main after seeing his reveal trailer, but again I didn't want to jump to conclusions about that. My main ended up being...well, Greninja.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I expected to main Rosalina ever since the reveal trailer. I have had troubles keeping a main though.
I mained :4sheik: in the 3DS version before 1.0.4 then switched to :4marth:
I mained :4palutena: in Wiiu until a month ago and switched to :rosalina: when I learned that I could use some good tactics with her. My Wiiu secondary is Mr. Style himself :4falcon:

I keep some back pocket mains now such as :4peach::4shulk::4ganondorf::4zelda::4lucina:

Needless to say, I try to keep variety in my choices of mains.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I expected to main Shulk, then I mained Shulk.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
i excepted to main Marth, but he was badly nerfed so i didn't enjoy him as much. After switching mains a lot i finally want to stick with Robin.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I've mained :4link: and :4kirby: forever so that was a given
But I expected to pick up :4robinm: and :4megaman: seamlessly
But I ended up picking up :4pit: :4sheik: and :4shulk:
Now I use :4link: :4kirby: but I occasionally use :4robinm: and :4shulk:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
In the pre-release era of Smash 4, I was hype for :4kirby: and his new hammer flip technique. After a while I constantly got better with :4mario: in PM and he became my main. Then after confirmation that :4drmario: had :4mario:'s Melee moveset, I thought instantly that :4drmario: would be my main, but to me he felt to heavy and slow when the full game came out. So :4mario: became my full main and:4drmario: became my second. As for:4kirby: I couldn't get adjusted to him since in PM his moves felt way faster to execute and punish while he seemed laggy to me in Smash 4. Overall my mains are :4mario:,:4drmario: and:4kirby: (1st , 2nd and 3rd).

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Well, for pre-release I had :4mario::4wiifit::4bowser::4yoshi::4miibrawl:.
I really wanted to use Wii Fit Trainer, but I couldnt make that happen. I ended immediately clicking with :4pacman: so he became a main, along with :4mario::4yoshi:. I also expected :4miibrawl: to be the best Mii I could use, but it turns out I was best with my least favorite pre-release Mii, the :4miigun:. I accidentally dropped Pacman because I stopped using him and lost my skill with him, and I also stopped using Mii for the lack of For Glory, which left me with only 2 characters. After the Little Mac For Glory fiasco, I decided to pick him up as a secondary. Nope, he is now one of my mains. I also pre-ordered a Mega Man Amiibo out of impulse (They ran out of Shulk) And I started practicing as soon as I got home that day. Now Megaman sits as one of my mains. Ive also just currently started using Pacman and its been great. So my honest line-up is: :4mario::4yoshi::4pacman::4littlemac::4megaman:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I expected to main Shulk and secondary Greninja, but I haven't played too much with Greninja, and I've been using R.O.B. significantly more than him. Shulk did end up being my main though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When Rosalina was revealed, I planned on maining her. And so far, she's been quite friendly to me, being one of my primary character choices.

As a matter of fact, I've used Rosalina way more times than any other fighter, which includes even Mario and Yoshi.

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
I'm ashamed to say this but I thought :4littlemac: looked awesome. I was excited to play as :4shulk: too.
Now those two are a few of my most hated characters to play against and I main :4tlink:.

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I remember the showcasing where they revealed :4greninja:, everyone was expecting Mewtwo, but instead we got Greninja.
And what a day that was, interesting, cool, and with interesting mechanics I was sold the second I saw that 1080p high resolution substitute doll, like a lil kid getting his/her first doll.

After having played him, he wasn't as aggressive as I wanted, nor as sneaky, nor as tricky. Instead I ended up going back towards my old Brawl main :falco: and learned, that it was almost an entirely new character, with poor neutral game, which was what I loved so much.

Alas I've been maining the ever so vocal :4fox: FOIREE

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Expected to stick with Olimar. I still play him second most, but I almost immediately became an avid DHD player.

Top Bottom