• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are our Pokemon Masters?

Fearmy

Smash Ace
it's safe to say reflex, but honestly, we need less "who is the best" topics, see them all the time

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
flame war? O:

well i'm very hopefully going to hobo 11, so i'll get some good big tourney experience. :) i'm working on it. there's a handful of good pts here, it's just that few of us go to tourneys.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i've never seen a vid of santi's charizard...maybe i could learn something from him.

but if his squirtle and ivysaur aren't very good, then that kinda nullifies his charizard too, no matter how good it is. :urg:

jjangu

Smash Rookie
so... rocksmash spamming automatically makes you a good charizard?

Onxy

Smash Lord
Calling his Charizard incredible is an overstatement. It's okay, and I know Dojo has an insane MK, but Santi did really stupid things during those matches. I don't want to critique really considering that it's old.

TmHm

Smash Rookie
so... rocksmash spamming automatically makes you a good charizard?
Not necessarily, but I think rock smash is one of the better weapons against lagless characters like Meta. Not only is it a disjointed, it also crumbles upon contact from other attacks, thus acting as a frontal shield as well.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Really. I agree with Snider, we should start closing these types of threads. Relflex and Santi and the only two guys we know of as of now that is "professional" I've been fighting a few of these guys onthe boards and have come to the conclusion that I'm not the best and none of my opponents were the best but despite our few nubers we a some decently skilled players to take on the character of Pokemon Trainer and use him effectively. Its just, well you know guys, Relex and Santi beat us to the punch of mastering him. Otherwise I consider the people on these boards decent players.

Heck I know I lost all my ditto matches so I need to get better and hit PT hard with training once my Bombing spree with TL is over. Trust me I dont intend on giving up on PT I feel alot of potential in him.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Calling his Charizard incredible is an overstatement. It's okay, and I know Dojo has an insane MK, but Santi did really stupid things during those matches. I don't want to critique really considering that it's old.
Like what? That was a pretty solid showing of what charizard has against metaknight. All of the best tools were used, like Dtilt, Usmash kill, rocksmash, grabs. Maybe he should have thrown him a few times instead of trying grab releases, but it was a pretty solid match overall. Metaknight just ***** charizard in the air.

Edit: Or atleast I couldn't see a lot he could have improved. His rocksmash approaches were stabbing through the shield as much as he was getting punished for it.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Like what? That was a pretty solid showing of what charizard has against metaknight. All of the best tools were used, like Dtilt, Usmash kill, rocksmash, grabs. Maybe he should have thrown him a few times instead of trying grab releases, but it was a pretty solid match overall. Metaknight just ***** charizard in the air.

Edit: Or atleast I couldn't see a lot he could have improved. His rocksmash approaches were stabbing through the shield as much as he was getting punished for it.
Fsmash out of shield with Charizard = fail.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
wow this really reminded me of my battles vs affinity.

squirtle does just as well or even BETTER than charizard does imo. but maybe part of that is just that my squirtle is better than my zard. :s

dojo is really good at shuttle gimping so that's kind of tough on zard. santi DID use rock smash a lot, but it gives mk problems so it's understandable. i use it frequently against mks, although definitely not as much.

the thing about rock smash is that it's very punishable by mach tornado or dash grabs if you toss the smash out and mk isn't in the vicinity so...i saw that a few times in both vids. it seems to me that santi's main strategy was to rock smash, and that's the wrong way to go about it because mk's insane quickness can punish you for a missed smash. meh. i'm probably wrong but that's what it seemed like.

flamethrower is pretty nice when mk is getting back on stage. just stay out of shuttle loop's range. santi didn't use it in that capacity. actually santi didn't use ft at all in the first match, and twice at the beginning of the second. both times he was punished and i didn't see ft for the rest of the match.

santi didn't too very well in the second vid. :(

if i get to go to hobo 11, i might get to meet santi and we can talk charizard and stuff lulz. i wish santi would pick up the other two. ivy is kinda meh but squirtle is a freakin demon who has a shot in almost any matchup, just due to his sheer quickness and unpredictability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69BxAZSn7bQ&feature=related

i learned a bit about gimping with charizard, even if it was against craptain falcon.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lol. Santi hasn't been playing PT alot seriously. Well from what I know. He might be hiding something from me. O.o

Although his squirtle has really stepped it up alot. It gives me more trouble than his zard does when he plays PT. He's been really focused on getting his TL top notch though.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yea i figured santi didn't play much pt. nice to see he's at least looking into his character. i'm really hoping to meet santi now, maybe we can exchange pt tips!

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42

His recovery game could use some improvement(though that could've been the Meta's gimping skills at work) and he needs more Flamethrower. That move has amazing spacing capabilities, and short hopped Flamethrowers-I mean just a short hop straight up-are great feints and often catch people in them.

I'm just being a critic though. That is a pretty good zard, I must say.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I wish I can find Squirtle useful in almost any matchup, but it seems as if he is just inferior to Ivysaur/Charizard overall.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's hard to play a good squirtle. you have to mix stuff up and constantly pressure and just be a SMART ninja turtle everywhere. pick your spots wisely and abuse abuse abuse openings.

about as well as i can describe it.

Miles.

Smash Champion
it's hard to play a good squirtle. you have to mix stuff up and constantly pressure and just be a SMART ninja turtle everywhere. pick your spots wisely and abuse abuse abuse openings.

Squirtle is all about pressuring them with his quickness, but I also think that running away and staying just outside of range is also part of his game.

Pick and choosing your opening and also frustrating your opponent.

Onxy

Smash Lord

There is a difference between being good with a character (playing him right) and just the character itself being good, lol. IDK, Squirtle seems okay - except he can't kill at all, which is a serious pain.

Miles.

Smash Champion
There is a difference between being good with a character (playing him right) and just the character itself being good, lol. IDK, Squirtle seems okay - except he can't kill at all, which is a serious pain.
CANT KILL?

Looks at*

Down Throw,

Upsmash,

Fair,

Bair,

Dair,

Watergun,

and

He can ninja gimp.

Onxy

Smash Lord
CANT KILL?

Looks at*

Down Throw,

Upsmash,

Fair,

Bair,

Dair,

Watergun,

and

He can ninja gimp.
NONE of those are reliable.

Bair can't kill a Jigglypuff 'till around 150% - it's not a kill move.

Watergun is a gimp move - not a kill move.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Fsmash out of shield with Charizard = fail.
Yeah, I was surprised he got the kill.

@Natch: Its a lot easier to get around in brawl, but I really don't think santi had any more options except airdodge more. And Dojo can mindgame that.

Flamethrower is nice and all, but tornado clashes with it. I would probably only use it on the edge or start/end it really quick. As I said before, flamethrower is easy to SDI counter. But then again, rocksmash is pretty easy to perfect shield too...

Edit: I think my favorite kill move of squirtle is his dthrow. Saving up fair helps if you can do awesome utilt combos and juggles to refresh it and tack on damage.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
dsmash has an awesome trajectory. it's a little laggy and pretty unsafe on block though.

dthrow is seriously squirtle's savior. he has a guaranteed kill at about 130%. and he is one of the best characters in the game at creating a grab opportunity.

some characters would kill to have a ko grab at 130%.

Onxy

Smash Lord
NOTHING beats ANYTHING that involves SQUIRTLE! NOT EVEN FALCON!

Top Bottom