• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which way do you Dash-cancel Up smash?

Eliasopataso

Smash Rookie
Personally I prefer the air pressing A and then Up + Z, but with Wario I often find myself just grabbing instead of going through with the slide. The C-stick down/up is also rather difficult for me.

Is there any easy way to do it besides these methods(or oldschool A -> Up+A)? Possibly changing the Y button to Attack? Any ideas?

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
o god big post some time ago, ill gve u the default way that others use and i cant, run smash c stick down then press up and Z, i htink this is what ur doing but ur having trouble cus grabs take over sometimes because omvements arent always perfect, what u may want to try is changing ur Y to grab and ur Z to attack, personally i noticed i didnt ever use Y so i just grab with it now, by doin what i said u should never grab while sliding, the only problem from there is wheather its going to be a full slide or a half slide up smash

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
to be honest, its the perfect move for throwing off ur opponent, say hes just a bit away from you, if you do it correctly obviously they wont have any time to react, its just you spacing urself correctly, bite then boost, or down throw predict and boost,soemone just gettin back on stage from ledge, boost, so many uses for it just gotta open ur mind to try weird different campy things

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I generally don't like this as I haven't practiced it much and tend to not get the last hit of the upsmash to connect. I personally do C-stick to the left or right and then up + Z... it works fairly consistently... his distance isn't consistent for me at all, however :p

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
how are your fingers that fast that you can cstick then move your figer to the a button for the upsmash deff?

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
What the hell, is there some king of kung-fu style to holding the controller?
My Claw Grip will defeat your Cobra Grip!
*dramatic chord*

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser

Thats the way I hold my controller. See how way the pointer finger and thumb on my right hand sorta looks like a claw? I use my pointer finger to press A for Upsmash when I am boosting, and my thumb hits the C-stick down. (Shameless bump xD)

PUDGE

Smash Apprentice
OMG why would u do that? when u can click Z with ur index finger instead of making everything uncomfortable??

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I finally got it down. I had to change the control configurations a little bit. I also noticed that it's a lot easier to pull off consistently if you push left or right on the C stick instead of down while running.

Ace55

Smash Lord
..I've played like that for a long time, even before brawl came out. It's very comfortable to me and lets me DI extremely well.
Doesn't look comfortable at all. But if it gets you to do the DCUsmash consistently it's pretty cool. Gotta try it out.

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
Foward+Down C-Stick+ Up-Z is by far the smoothest way to wavesmash with wario....

dair-bite-slidingupsmash is beeaaast on certain characters if you can get the timing down

Ace55

Smash Lord
Foward+Down C-Stick+ Up-Z is by far the smoothest way to wavesmash with wario....

dair-bite-slidingupsmash is beeaaast on certain characters if you can get the timing down
Actually, when I tried out Deff's way of holding the controller (still not saying it's comfortable) I could almost instantly perform constistent slideupsmashes (I mean the length of the slide) with Wario. So I have to disagree.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I donno man, I saw Deff's latest three videos and he tried it twice and missed it twice XD

This is generally the problem I have with it, and I generally consider it not worth my time to do.

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
your right warios cancelled upsmash is super situational, basically its going to hurt you more than help you most of the time...when done out of bite is one of the few times i can find it useful

Christopher Rodriguez

I would take out the super. Its just plain old situational, there really isn't a way to horribly punish it. I would say it helps Wario's chase game.

I have my off times when I just plain old suck at usmash sliding, and then times where its just goes perfect. Warming up first to make your fingers faster is the key to not messing up Timing also varies slightly between TVs depending on the lag that TV has (I play on a huge crt that has different timings then a tube, so I need some warm up while transitioning) But you guys didn't really need to know that :p.

Foward+Down C-Stick+ Up-Z is by far the smoothest way for me to wavesmash with wario....
Fixed.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Warming up first to make your fingers faster is the key to not messing up Timing also varies slightly between TVs depending on the lag that TV has (I play on a huge crt that has different timings then a tube, so I need some warm up while transitioning) But you guys didn't really need to know that :p.
Fixed.
Deff, I would like to agree with you but I just can't. Why would you have to look at the TV to even use the slidupsmash? If you've got the timing down how does it even matter. Even if you have like 1 second lag you could still pull it off because the timing between the c-stick and the upsmash is still the same, it just takes a second longer before it's performed.

Christopher Rodriguez

You don't have to be looking at the TV, thats not the point. Although it seems that its just a simple button combination, it relies on the starting frames of the dash attack to be canceled. Having lag on a HD doesn't really affect it THAT much (This is brawl now) It still has a bit difference of a timing.

I think you just took it the wrong way and thought it was an excuse. If you did its alright, I just want to clear it up that I always play on that CRT so I don't anything. Just saying that the timing could vary on separate TV's due to lag. I was playing on my CRT when I recorded that, so those were natural mistakes of me messing up the sliding usmashes.

If TV lag didn't exist everyone would bring LCDs to tournaments rather than regular old tube TV's :p I hope I cleared some stuff up for you, I'm bad enough at explaining things at times >_>

Grandeza

Smash Master
I just got it down yesterday. I do c-stick down and up-z. I can't do it very consistently. I can usually do some version of it but getting the full slide is kinda rare. I'm going to keep working at it.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
yeah, I'm a Snake main, so I have to know how to do it, but i use down c stick + up Z. it works on all the characters I've tried it with, even tho some have ridiculously short distances (I.E, Boozer). just do it RIGHT AFTER you do the c stick, kinda similar to how in melee you sh then air dodge instantly (that's probably an extremely ignorant statement considering i don't really know the physics of it).

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice

Thats the way I hold my controller. See how way the pointer finger and thumb on my right hand sorta looks like a claw? I use my pointer finger to press A for Upsmash when I am boosting, and my thumb hits the C-stick down. (Shameless bump xD)
My hand usually ends up like that but I always start with my middle finger on the R Trigger, pointer on the Z button, and my thumb anywhere it wants to go.

I main Snake so I can Mortar Slide/DCUS with just my thumb going: Side-A to CStick Up.

Meat Truck

Smash Cadet
I dunno if this helps, but if you have tap jump off, you can press diagonally up and whichever direction you want to wavesmash, c-stick down, and then immediately hit attack and it'll give you a huge slide just about every time, and you won't have to run first, which makes it mush better for mindgames. It's really good on flat stages with ledges, because you can hang a bit back like you're waiting for them to get back on the stage, and then wavesmash towards the ledge because the ledge will stop him. Good way to get a free gimp stock on a new opponent.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
dash forward > c-stick down > up+z

For the one where you dash attack into them and up-smash right after you make contact, I use
dash forward > A for dash attack > c-stick up

Ruuku

Smash Lord
For me, forward c-stick->up+Z is the most comfortable way. Then you can do combo like d.air-> f.air-> Bite-> sliding up smash.

Top Bottom