• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which pokemon was hardest to learn

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
Which pokemon did you find hardest to learn between Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard?

Personally, I thought it was Ivysaur because it was so much harder to figure out KOs with her.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Honestly, I don't even remember, but I'm willing to bet that Ivysaur will pop up the most.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Charizard for me. It took me a while to realize that he is best played defensively. Then Squirtle. Yes, Squirtle. I used to just spam his aerials and get shield grabbed. It also took me a while to realize that his ground game isn't as bad as I thought it was.

Ivysaur was always easy for me. Just back-air spam, razor leaf spam, and f-tilt spam until my opponent gets pissed off and makes a mistake. And after that, bullet seed.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Why wouldn't you play Charizard defensively? He can do both. Rock Smash/Flamethrower/Jabs/Shield grabs make quite the difficult character to approach.

It really just depends on the character you're facing and if you're in fatigue or not.

aggrogahu

Smash Cadet
I still have a hard time playing squirtle, mostly 'cause I don't know how to really use the hydroplaning or w/e, I'll have to slow it down in practice sometime. For now I usually take it to the air and hope I land behind an opponent if they shield my aerials.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Charizard used defensely...interesting... hes that versatile :D, anyway, for me ivysaur was the hardest to learn, he just felt so...rare, but now im used to him, also, it was VERY hard trying to shellshifting with the wiimote

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Charizard was the hardest for me to learn. I almost didn't want to use PT because of him.

Ivysaur was the easiest for me to learn, actually. Her fighting style fits me perfectly, much like Toon Link's.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Right now, Squirtle is proving the hardest to level up. I am having difficulty controlling his speed sometimes, and cannot effectively churn together combos using this aspect.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
actually You guys would think Squirtle has such a little Learning Curve, but seriously, the only one that has Real techs... Master Them, and you can have a Very Dangerous Squirtle if you use him in the Right Area. Squirtle Can Easily Demolish Characters if you can Pay attention and Shield/Dodge on the Right momments. My Squirtle actually = Anther's Pikachu @_@ well Anther's Pika 2 weeks ago

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ivysaur just because my playstyle didn't mesh well with it. it really depends on how you play.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
It was hard to learn how to play as Ivy effectively. I constantly got ledge guarded, outperformed, and overwhelmed. Eventually I started to pick up withdrawing away from the opponent while still keeping in range for her ariels, and sneaking in a few razor leaves. Sadly it also took me a while to learn that the C stick is ivy's smashing friend. Otherwise you use a forward tilt, then end up getting a boot to the face.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
For me it wasnt a matter of learning one or the other taking a long time, it was a matter of realizing that Ivysaur is probably the best pokemon out of the lot.

He was written off so fast because of his tether and then Squirtle was hyped so much because of Hydroplaning that I never gave Ivy a shot. And I was in love with Charizard from the get go so I had my hands full with those two.

Then I started playing some better opponents and a lot of snakes and then I realized that Ivy was soo **** legit.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
actually You guys would think Squirtle has such a little Learning Curve, but seriously, the only one that has Real techs... Master Them, and you can have a Very Dangerous Squirtle if you use him in the Right Area. Squirtle Can Easily Demolish Characters if you can Pay attention and Shield/Dodge on the Right momments. My Squirtle actually = Anther's Pikachu @_@ well Anther's Pika 2 weeks ago
WOW.... how is it posible it hasnt evolved???? i understand anther's pikachu because of the lack of thunderstones in smash, but squirtle???....... LOL
jokes apart, i think you make a good point, squirtle may be the easier to learn, but the hardest to pull of to a competitive level......

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I like to play a neutral zard. When we are both on neutral situations... i play with baits , FTs and random Rsmashes to make my enemy make a move. If i connect a hit or find myself in a favorable situation, i go onattack mode... but i always try to not attack first with zard.
That depends on the opponent also. Some players give u room to act,some not.

For me, i find the 3 pokes not difficult to use overall.... but what really takes time and i still have problems with it... is to reorganize myself when im being heavily pressured, in other words, to defend myself when getting hitted repeatedly . IM talking about ivy and zard. I have difficult time in spacing from fast opponents once they get me airborne with those 2 pokes.
IN summary... the most difficult thing for a PT, is to know when u need to run, when to attack and when to camp, 2 of those pokes lack a solid aerial game to counter the speedy chars.

Jarun

Smash Cadet
probably charizard, i found defensive works though, ivysaurs fallin behind :S

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
It seems every week my opinion on the Pokemon change. I have finally got my Pokemanz to a competitive level and I found bringing Charizard to that level was tough. As a :gw: main I found that Squirtle was the easiest for me to get good with, and Ivysaur was fairly easy as well. Then again this is probably because most of my play experience is against a Pit player.

WITH

Smash Apprentice
For me it's squirtle. He's easy to own noobs with off the bat, but to get him competitive is tough. As someone above mentioned, he gets shield grabbed all the time if u dont know how to play him. Ivey came easy to me after I learned how to recover with razor leaf. Charizard was always easy.

emoklops

Smash Cadet
Squirtle.

Before, I just used characters with a lot of range to space well (Ike, Lucario, Olimar), so I really had to get used to Squirtle's short attacks.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well I rarely play as PT now but I must say it was Ivysaur and actually still is due to constant ledge guarding, outperformed, and overwhelmed, as well as effectively controlling his bullet seed which I find a little hard.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
Zard, then Ivy.

Picked up on Zard's lower speed eventually(I was more used to Pika's quick style) and then it was Ivy. She's got a very unique playstyle, very defensive and anti-air. But I love that about Ivy. SH Razor Leafs, Bullet Seed, Vine Whip, Fair, Uair, Dair, and Bair all have good priority, spacing, and range against guys in the air.

Nothing more satisfying than a Sweetspotted Vine Whip too. Nothing makes me smile more than launching a Vine Whip and hearing that [CRACK-ZAP] sound.

FuryX

Smash Cadet
i am still learning charizard, hes too slow to fight people who move in so aggressively like short hopping marths and meta knights.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Which pokemon did you find hardest to learn between Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard?

Personally, I thought it was Ivysaur because it was so much harder to figure out KOs with her.
To me Squirtle is. Reason, the advanced techniques. :) Plus trying to nail that forward air A (even at a low projectory) is a task. The recovering is a bit of work for Squirtle and Charzy too.

Top Bottom