• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which pokemon do you start/end with?

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
I picked up Pokemon Trainer recently as my second, and i don't think i need to tell you guys but he is so much fun to play. However, i've run into a slight problem, i can't seem to follow trhough in my matches, ill be doing really well, but then when i comes down to the end of the match, i can't seem to get the last kill. Im currently running an Ivysaur->Charizard->Squirtle with no switch. i've tried Starting with squirtle and ending with Ivysaur but i don't see a real reason. I know there's something im not seeing here, so what pokemon do you start/end with and why?

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I don't start out with anyone in specific, I random.

And really, it all depends on how the match goes. My Squirtle, Ivysaur or Charizard can end it, it just depends on my skill and the ability to switch at the right time. Most of the time Charizard ends it because he's the tank, but in cases where a fast character or Ike walks all over him, I go with Ivysaur.

infernovia

Smash Ace
If you can't get the kill with squirtle, I suggest switching back to Ivysaur. Just get yourself some room by using one of his gtfo throw.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
isn't ending with Ivysaur knida risky though, cause he can easily be gimped?

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
Such a thing is really all pending on how the whole match is set up, characters, stage, rules, etc. Normally I tend to random, but I prefer to start off with either Squirtle or Ivysaur as they are strong starters. Charizard is an alright starter if you know how to effectively use his moves with the amount of speed and movement he has for a heavy character.

Over all the ones to finish off for myself, the better choices seem to be Squirtle and Charizard. Ivysaur is difficult to finish with because if you get knocked back far off, players can just hang on the edge preventing you from getting back on with your Vine Whip, where as Squirtle is hard to hit and has great recovery should you fall back, and Charizard being a tank with great recovery as well, work with whichever works for you.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
isn't ending with Ivysaur knida risky though, cause he can easily be gimped?
Yeah, sometimes it's very risky. But I prefer to have Ivysaur face someone like Diddy or Fox than Charizard. Charizard can't cut it at times because he's practically a "hit the target" sign and isn't fast enough to handle them.

Plus...for those who love to edgeguard, I'm pretty good at aiming with Razor Leaf...or the sweetspot on Vine Whip to take us both out. ^_^

whut?

Smash Journeyman
"omfg i pick whichever iz cutest" lol...
my order is the same everytime, i base this off strategy only.

ivysaur is sent out first, he is the best at racking up damage, has a projectile, and great KO moves.
i keep playing ivy until im KO'd regardless of stamina.
charizard is then sent out, because he can KO easily if ivy didnt finish your opponent(ivy racked up %).
once i get to high % i switch to squirtle (usually after i get the 2nd KO with charizard).
since squirtle is at such high % he wont last long fighting, i use him to hit and run for extra %.
when he gets KO'd, the opponent is at whatever % squirtle got them to.
ivy can put more % on them and finish with a KO.(or if the match lasts long, charizard will end it)

they all have their uses, this is the order i feel works best.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Start with a really agressive Charizard. This usually gets me a KO and some damage on their next stock. Then I hit em with a DThrow, and switch to squirtle. Focus on killing them, then when they die, switch to ivy to camp them.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
the start and end is purely on a matchup to matchup basis, and use of the switch is common for me.

I've gone through 7 pokemon in a 3 stock match before (Stupid Olimars.....)

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I usually start with Ivysaur.
If I die with Ivysaur, I usually have a lot of percent against the opponent, so one good hit from Charizard should usually get a kill.

Edit::
Also, I start with Ivysaur because if they get a gimp kill on me the first stock, it isn't as much of a loss as if it was near the end, and by the time I rotate to Ivysaur again, I usually have a solid lead, so if they gimp me again, no big loss.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
start with Squirtle, end with Charizard (except on boss battles, then it's start with Charizard and end whit Suirtle [avoid Tabuu's off waves and switch to the more effective hit and run tactic])

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
When i am just doing friendlies.... i random. Seriously, i can start with any of the three on any given moment. I suppose what helps me with this is i use the switch all the time. My opponents will see each pok twice throughout the match.

If i'm not doing friendlies... i start Ivy. What ever i do after that is all based on how the match is going and when i switch.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
I always start with Ivy unless I'm doing doubles and start with Squirt. If I manage a KO with a lot of percentage, I'll switch to the next heaviest character.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Seemed right to do another post of this.

"omfg i pick whichever iz cutest" lol...
my order is the same everytime, i base this off strategy only.

ivysaur is sent out first, he is the best at racking up damage, has a projectile, and great KO moves.
i keep playing ivy until im KO'd regardless of stamina.
charizard is then sent out, because he can KO easily if ivy didnt finish your opponent(ivy racked up %).
once i get to high % i switch to squirtle (usually after i get the 2nd KO with charizard).
since squirtle is at such high % he wont last long fighting, i use him to hit and run for extra %.
when he gets KO'd, the opponent is at whatever % squirtle got them to.
ivy can put more % on them and finish with a KO.(or if the match lasts long, charizard will end it)

they all have their uses, this is the order i feel works best.
QFT.

Organous

Smash Apprentice
I find Ivysaur to be the best for me to start with, but again, it depends on the situation. Ivysaur's Bullet Seed has worked like a legend for me, often getting 30-50% damage when timed right. Other than that, I'll try to keep my distance. I usually don't intend on killing with him, though, because his real kill moves usually are slow to get going. I'll just get damage racked, then when I have my opponent a safe distance away, switch into Charizard for the kill. Squirtle has deceptively strong moves, too. With PT's nature, though, it's seriously best to just get as good as you can with all 3 characters so that you can take care of business anytime, anywhere.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I tend to start with charizard, just because he can spike and spiking early can make a huge difference in the match. I dont really care too much about who is weak to who. My pokemon generally have the same weakness till i learn how to play against a character. As i go through the match i usually end with ivy just because of the cycle. however if its really close, or i am losing i like to switch out ivysaur as soon as i get a chance. I am sadly still horrible with ivy.

Lightningcard18

Smash Rookie
Right now, I don't know who I'm best with, so I just have it set to random.

Although, I don't like having Ivysaur when it's my last life, with that unreliable up b.

Yanki

Smash Cadet
Well i played some time the pt, the best coice for star can be, ivysur for the nice deal of damage that u can do whit the seeds, and because it didnt are really nice for kill easy the oponents whit her slow atacks, or squirtle whit her nice speed u can start spaming atacks after thyey can give to the enough damage for trow u away.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
With PT's nature, though, it's seriously best to just get as good as you can with all 3 characters so that you can take care of business anytime, anywhere.
this

also i just start with one of the two pokes that has the best advantage against the opponent. this way i can lessen the amount of time that not very effective monster fights.

Navajo7

Smash Rookie
i start with squirtle to feel out how the other person plays, but i usually end with hwoever gets the job done

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I start with Ivysaur almost all the time, but I sometimes start as Squirtle (although I don't find it as effective as Ivysaur). I will never start with Charizard, though, as his role is to tank, not to be the first one out leaving me with the light Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Who I end with is anyone's guess, and often changes on a match-to-match basis. However, once I get the last KO, I switch so that the victory screen has the Pokemon that comes next in the rotation. Just for fun, I guess.

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
I often start with Charizard because I can seriously learn my opponents style from him and he can take quite a few hits. In addition the sudden change from Char to Squirtle often messes people up beyond belief. From power to speed its really easy to mess people up.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I always start with Ivysaur, even if the match-up is bad. What I end on depends on what happened. I generally give the victory screen to the one I feel is most deserving after any given game.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
I always start with Squirtle, and i barely ever change pokemon in mid-match.

I try to get my opponent up to the highest precent possible with squirtle, and if i end up not killing him, i can finish it quickly with Ivysaur, then rack up good damage on his next stock. I have my last stock with charizard, because he lives for a long time, can kill at lower % then the rest of the pokemon, can't be as easily gimped, and is a good pokemon to use to get a good comeback.

Top Bottom