• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which modes would you want to see rejoin Ultimate?

What modes do you want back?

• Total voters

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
As awesome as Ultimate is, I know a lot of people are saddened by the removal of a few modes that have been in past games. Which modes would you want to see come back as free or paid DLC over the next year?

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I am an old school guy, and the simpler things amuse me more. I LOVED the character specific break the targets from melee where you had to use a characters full arsenal to break them all, AND that is how I learned young link could wall kick! Same idea behind board the platforms. I vaguely recall Jigglypuff having a particularly challenging one because you had to use every puff of her breath and I think even side attack to make it to the final platform. Good times indeed, and it gives any newbie a basic grasp of the extent of any characters abilities. I also enjoy barely breaking my records in home run contest too.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Character specific break the targets would be awesome. I’m not expecting it given the immense amount of characters that they would have to design it for. While it would cool, I’m definitely not extremely bummed or surprised about it’s absense.

Smash Run was really cool, and I honestly was kind of expecting it’s return as it seems like it would be perfect for the Switch, but oh well. It probably would’ve been a pain to program again.

Home Run Contest I actually really want to see return. It was definitely my favorite of the stadium modes. It was always a fun little guy to screw around with. And just recently, me and a couple of friends discovered that you could play it competitively in Smash Wii U! I literally had no idea. We had a ton of fun with that. Usually just selecting random and seeing what you can do with the character you were given. There definitely were some beautiful upsets. I’m sure it would be loads of fun with Ultimate’s massive roster. Also it probably wouldn’t take all that much development time...

Honestly I wouldn’t trade anything for any of these modes though. As great as they were, I’m glad Sakurai went for the ultimate goal of returning every single character instead and adding some of the sickest newcomers we’ve ever had...although, now I kind of do want Home Run Contest back...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Why is Stage Builder not on the poll?!”

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Smash Run was probably the only time I actually really liked a singleplayer element of smash.
Put that in and let me fight other players while we're scrambling for buffs and you got yourself an even better gamemode.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Home Run is probably the most easily realizable mode for the game given its simplicity and I’m going to miss the parts of it I used to play from past games.

Smash Run is the most unreasonable request given how big it is and how many assets you’ll need to design independently. But I would love to have it back.

Break the Targets designed around characters is probably the mode I most want the most to return because I love the puzzle nature of that mode, but I also realize just how much work that would be.

Board the Platforms and Stage Builder just add to the game and would be fun.

Bring em all back.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I had to have a long and hard think about this and I've come to realize most of the extra modes in Smash really don't matter that much to me. Board the platforms, Break the Targets, and Race to the Finish were fine to pad out the single player modes back when we had 8-40 characters, I've honestly never cared about Home Run Contest, or Master/Crazy Orders, and I don't think ANYBODY cared about Smash Tour....

I guess if I had to pick something on the list it'd be Stage Builder, but even that, I would only use to build the gigantic mostly enclosed arena that my friends would play on for our final showdown instead of final destination, and I wouldn't use it for anything else.

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
Break the Targets for every character! It has such longevity as a game mode. Look at Melee, a hugely popular game, still having new records set for best times.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
I voted for smash run.
I never played it but it looked like fun. It had plenty of brawl callbacks with the enemies too so there's that.
It has the most genuine experience of any other mode on the list and actually feels like something worth an update, content wise.
Though it'd never happen because this would be impossible to implement as paid dlc, due to the multiplayer/online experience it focuses on. It can't be a free update either because, who the hell wants to work for free/ less pay to create an extensive mode full of content? Game developers aren't slaves, so I don't expect them to work for next to nothing.

However, besides smash run, every other game mode on the list (including Melee break the targets) is honestly...
Unnecessary.

Melee break the targets isn't happening people. Sure it's a finite zone for each character and it doesn't have to be filled with "too much" detail but still. One for 70+ characters? A little bit of a reach there. They could most certainly do it, it's not "hard" it just takes time to make 70+ unique individual mini game target breaking stages. This also includes Board the Platforms.

Stage Builder is unneeded. In a game with over 103 stages (300+ with alpha and omega versions) where is there a need for it? I mean sure they could make one but I'd rather have a fleshed out stage builder than the lack luster and shallow experiences we've had before.

I suppose there are advocates for the Home run contest since it's been in since Melee and all but... punching the hell out of sandbag and sending him flying by perfecting your characters abilities and maximizing your damage out put by stringing the right moves together at the right time...it can feel satisfying but I honestly don't miss it. That was something to do when you're bored, yes, but if you're bored you should just go do something else instead.

Smash is a party game. Last I checked, anyway. Get some friends and beat the hell out of each other. The single player experiences can all be damned so long as the multiplayer core of the game has enough content (and it does).

Now that i'm done peeing in everybody's cheerios, feel free to disagree. Remember folks. "Opinions are like Mixtapes, No one wants to hear yours."
Mine included.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I should mention that there is literally no reason for Event Matches or Special Orders to come back; they've been succeeded by Spirits mode.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I said Boss Rush but maybe it's already in the game.

Smash Run would be awesome but it's ridiculous to ask for something that big at this point.

And I unironically want Coin Smash and Coin Launcher back, but they weren't on the list.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
How many people really played Target Blast or Home Run Contest for more than a few times?

For me, on the WiiU game, I just played it a few times because I was actually looking (desperate) for a good single player mode in the game, and I was trying to force me to like these modes. But then I realised the game only provided me some kind of web browser minigames with the shape of smash, that gave me no will to play them at all and only give me the impression that they made a lot of boring minigames instead of one better singleplayer mode (like they are doing now apparently).

I really would like to know the score and time spend for the majority of players in all these modes, cause most of them are irrelevant or have some bad game design choices in my opinion.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I often feel like the only cat who liked Brawl's Break the Targets. Sure, I preferred 64 and Melee's but there was something fun about trying the same courses with all the characters and seeing how a map that's so easy for one character can be so difficult for other characters (Mostly Ike)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Stage Builder is the mode I really miss. While a long shot, I wouldn't mind paying extra to be able to build and share stages again.

Smash Run and Smash Tour were fun also, and I would like to see them back also.

Spirits mode is more or less Event Battles, so I see no need to have it in twice.

Everything else was more or less a waste to me, I barely touched them outside of being required to unlock stuff.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I really liked the Stage Creator, even though they were both pretty limited. I wish that was built upon rather than cut. Although, I wasn't surprised that it was cut.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I only played most of the modes to complete challenges

Top Bottom