• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which is better: Toon Link or Link?

Crank

Smash Apprentice
That's because Link out ranges, kills you quicker than you can kill him and rivals you in projectiles. The only advantage Toon Link has is his speed and floatiness, as everything else is for the most part overshadowed or even with Link's counterpart of it.

You can gimp him once you guys are off-stage, but on-stage, I'd say Link has the advantage regardless. But as I said, Toon Link can do a hit-and-run game, send Link off stage and then gimp him. It's only a slight advantage though, which is why JesiahTEG can the match-up 6/4 slightly in TL's favor.

Links arrows are short ranged when they aren't charged, which is bad, obviously. By the time his arrow has charged to a point that it can shoot far enough to hit me, I have already SHDAd. The latter of the arrows shot, due to the slower speed of TLs arrows, will most likely hit Links arrow as its flying towards me (if he gets the shot off), canceling it out, while the other arrow will most likely hit depending on how far away I am and how close I was to Link.

TLs boomerang has greater use, range(?, not sure on this one), does more damage, and can damage on the way back (good for defense too, as it can disrupt the opposing player).

Bombs may be weaker, but have a bigger area.

Arrows-TL

Boomerang-TL

Bombs-Equal

Just my opinion though.

Dylan Guyenne

Smash Cadet
I agreed that Toon Link is faster than link and his down aerial attack goes very fast so is very useful.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I have not seen you in SSBB before. How do you know those words are true? I am also terrible with Toon Link.
I'm found on the Link boards, obviously. Also, I know those words are true for maybe not all but some people, because my friend switched from using Link to Toon Link. The reason? Easier to use, plus the fact it was too hard for him to get good with Link.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I mean, who would use any swordsmen other than Marth and MK. I only use MK, the rest are just for fun.

Anywho, TL is better than Link, I don't find Link as good as he was in Melee. But if only Link was a tad faster, can kill good and can recover. I think they would equal..

AvantGarde

Smash Cadet
I mean, who would use any swordsmen other than Marth and MK. I only use MK, the rest are just for fun.

Anywho, TL is better than Link, I don't find Link as good as he was in Melee. But if only Link was a tad faster, can kill good and can recover. I think they would equal..
but the problem with that is a faster link that can recover better is basically toon link.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Aren't TL's up smash and the second hit of fsmash actually stronger than Link's?

Link's up B is really useful though (except for the most important thing, recovery) and his dair has huge knockback.

EDIT: And Shy Guy 86, some people don't want to go with the mass. Winning with a worse than top 5 character that everyone uses brings a lot more respect to you and it might actually be possible in Brawl. I simply don't want to play the same character / characters as 80% of people.

The Myk

Smash Rookie
Well, Toon Link is better because of his speed. And that down stab just kills.

Oh, and also the fact that this is posted in toon link subforum...lol.

elunesgrace

Smash Rookie
It really depends on who you are. The playstyle at first glance seems similar, but it really isn't. Link falls too fast in the air, but his advanced techniques far outshine TLs. If you have played Link throughout Melee, then I recommend sticking to him, you will have a huge advantage in your strategies and learning.

stratele

Smash Apprentice
Heres what I think

If your an offensive player. Go for link, you get power

Defensive? Toon Link, speed and control

Rodge91

Smash Cadet
I dont suppose it matters which of the two you use. If one Link master fights a Toon master, they would account for the changes in speed, power etc. Just use who you prefer, its a question of personal taste! Me? read the sig :D

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
You don't even have to go for speed/power comparison because Link's recovery alone makes him worse than TL.

Other than that, TL is faster, can combo better and has better aerials. Link is stronger and has better ground game.

But that has been said many times already.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Yeah, I main both of them but Link doesn't stand a chance at ALL because of his recovery. There's no question about it, it just makes him look like a helpless Ganondorf trying to reach for an edge and failing.

Yadel16

Smash Cadet
When it comes to matching each other up they're tied but really Toon Link is better.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Definitly Toon Link.
(What do you expect :p ur in Toon Link territory =D)

Beagle007

Smash Apprentice
I myself used to main Link. However, Link is slow. With being slow come burdens. It is difficult to land kills, as well as being gimped easily. I was able to beat all-star on intense with link as well as classic but narrowly, after switching to TL with the added speed it seemed that every character was now possible to defeat XD maybe not metakinght (I use DK for MK). The Bottom Line is that Toon Link has better aerials, has a superb RAR, and his projectile game is IMO better than Link due to the float of the arrows.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
woah, I thought this thread dies ages ago. ^^' I already posted my reasons, nothing much I can do here.

Top Bottom