• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
its mostly cause they've played melee for 6-7 years lol. so ofcourse the GC controller is gonna feel like its the best one, especially if the person using it hasn't tried the others for longer than a few matches. i use the remote+ nunchaku cause i wanted to try something new. i haven't found any real differences between them other than # of buttons and button placement.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I ONLY learned to use the GC again because of the synching/battery issues of a wireless controller. Otherwise, I would actually RECOMMEND the wiimote/chuck controller, just because it allows the most freedom of movement. It also require zero movement of your fingers, allowing for faster respond times.

Finally, it can be set to have the D-pad to be a freakin' C-Stick, so the C-stick point is freakin' bunk people. Stop bringing it up!

Still, use the GC, it'll makes your tournament life SO much easier, its not even funny.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Not only does the GC controller have over 7 years of Smash on it, all of the buttons are nicely placed so you don't have to move your fingers. Classic controller is also nice, but not as good, as the buttons are nearly the same but without the 7 years of usage. The Wiimote + Nunchuck is slightly odd, but fine once you get used to it; however trying to reach the D-Pad or use the tiny C button is impeding to your game. Wiimote itself is epic fail...

Use GC.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Not only does the GC controller have over 7 years of Smash on it, all of the buttons are nicely placed so you don't have to move your fingers. Classic controller is also nice, but not as good, as the buttons are nearly the same but without the 7 years of usage. The Wiimote + Nunchuck is slightly odd, but fine once you get used to it; however trying to reach the D-Pad or use the tiny C button is impeding to your game. Wiimote itself is epic fail...

Use GC.
reaching the D-pad is easy after a while, especially if your hands are big, and i find the C-button to be nicely placed since i kinda hated X/Y's position on the CG controller for jumping. and some people find the CG controllers buttons oddly placed and shaped, like the big A and little b >.>

NessUserAnton

Smash Rookie
Wiimote-Nunchuk- Combo. I REALLY REALLY REALLY have a internal hate for stupid GCC. Because it's too... hmm. BIG. My hands are big, but not that big. I like tap jumping, and I cannot do that with the GCC.

danielrofl

Smash Cadet
The Gamecube is definitely the way to go, I haven't really tried the other control schemes but using the GC controller seems more natural for a smash game as to be honest there isn't much use for the motion controls.
Plus you can always rely on it.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
The Gamecube is definitely the way to go, I haven't really tried the other control schemes but using the GC controller seems more natural for a smash game as to be honest there isn't much use for the motion controls.
Plus you can always rely on it.
motion control is an option that you can turn off or on and i've met some people who like wave smash

danielrofl

Smash Cadet
motion control is an option that you can turn off or on and i've met some people who like wave smash
Yeah, thats true. I think motion controls are more of a gimick this generation of consoles. I play brawl & mario kart wii with the GC controller just because its more comfortable.
Motion controlling is cool at first, but you get tired of it after a while. Thats why I think the GC controller is way more useful, because you dont need to adapt with any movement other than your fingers and thumbs.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
but you at least gave the other controls a try right? i personally like motion controls (most of the time but not all the time). its fine if you use the CG controller as long as you gave the others a try at least.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
blah GC controller is nice but i like remote+nunchaku. also does anyone try to use the remote by itself? i know its like so impossible but i'd like to know if some people really do.

Acebrock

Smash Rookie
Wiimote+nunchuk is the most comfortable for me. I blame playing a lot of Metroid prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy for that.

Any controller with the controls well mapped can be as good as any other controller. No controller is naturaly superior

For me that simply means mapping jump to Z, shield to C, and grab to down on the D-pad, so they're all in easy reach

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Gamecube controller:), you'll fall in love with the C-stick

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
Other than the fact that GCC's suck compared to 360 controllers, they're still way better than any of the other control options for Brawl. The classic controller has better shoulder buttons than the GCC, but the joysticks on that thing are longer than my thumbs. Seriously nintendo, you make a controller where the joysticks are half the width WTF?!? Other than the unplayable joysticks, the classic controller wins, I've actually been thinking about opening it up and replacing the sticks with the analog and C-stick from my GCC. Thats my only real issue.

BluB0mber

Smash Rookie
Gamecube controller.

Classic isn't bad though... a little bit more "awkward"

Wii remote+ nunchuck = disadvantaged.

Wii remote = Extremely disadvantaged.

Torppe

Smash Cadet
Well i see that all prefer that gamecube controller but can you really play with those wii remotes as good as with gamecube controller? because i just bought 2nd wii remote series, but then i read this so... i'm not going to buy ANOTHER different controller.. so can you play with wiiremote and nuchuck good ? or is this just thatt kind of thing that if you play with wiiremotes you will get used to it? :dizzy: :confused:

Dan Aran

Smash Rookie
Well i see that all prefer that gamecube controller but can you really play with those wii remotes as good as with gamecube controller? because i just bought 2nd wii remote series, but then i read this so... i'm not going to buy ANOTHER different controller.. so can you play with wiiremote and nuchuck good ? or is this just thatt kind of thing that if you play with wiiremotes you will get used to it? :dizzy: :confused:
Your better off using the gamecube controller or classic controller. The controll layout for the wii and nunchuck is much different and hard to get used to.

Leifio

Smash Cadet
try the wii/chuck with B as the atk button and A as the special move...... it worked for me.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Gamecube is still the best (simply due to foreknowledge) to use but if you get used to one of the others, thanks to the customisation options, you can find what suits your needs to fine detail and therefore play well with any of the control schemes. Psy.

Jiikuru

Smash Rookie
I've actually seen someone using the wii mote expertly with Kirby ...but I don't think it would really work well with other characters.

theperson91

Smash Apprentice
There are pretty much two reasons why the nunchuck and wiimote and just the wiimote are worse. One, it is much harder to short hop on either of those two, at least with the default setups. This drastically limits ones options for attacks. Number 2 is that there is no c-stick. The c-stick is much faster than pressing A with a direction. The c-stick also prevents you from charging up a smash, making ones smash come out faster. Finally, the c-stick frees up the other stick when using it, so you can still move freely in the air and not fast fall while doing an attack. Because both the classic and gamecube controllers have these, it's really just a matter of taste between those two, but you really do need one of those two if you want maximum control, speed, and choice of attacks.

Lenvil

Smash Cadet
gamecube is what i use because it's the most comfortable and after playing melee for years i'm used to it.

the classic controller is good too because you have an extra Z button and you can make that whatever you want. i don't use it because it doesn't have any handles, it's too small, and all of the buttons are the same size.

the wiimote is terrible and if you're a competitive gamer you shouldn't even try it. you're better off playing with the wheel that came with mario kart because at least using that you can shield.

banjolick

Smash Rookie
I would have to disagree with the majority vote. In truth, I have played with both the GCC and the wiimote and nunckuk. I would beg to say that given the correct control scheme, they are equal. I can understand, though, why people say "Wi!m0t35 SUUCKZERzzz" because when i started using the wiimote i did terribly, since the controls are drastically different. After a while, however, I found that I began to not mind the new setup. It actually took me about 3 weeks of daily gameplay to get used to and begin to enjoy the wiimote w/ nunchuk (im just gunna call it the WWN). Now, I have to admit, the original setup on the WWN was not to my liking. I took the c button and made it a grab and took the d-pad and made it smashes to work like the c-stick. This allowed easier run-into-upsmash, etc... DI is no different on the WWN either, since with that setup you still can have smash DI. (frankly, i find smash DI easier on teh WWN) The gamecube's only real advantage is that most people playing competitive brawl are pretty much brainwashed into thinking that it is the best way, and so there is a stronger metagame reputation for the GCC. This isnt ncessarily a bad thing, though. People like me who have been playign melee since the first days came to know and love the GCCs. Now, for peopel who have used GCCs all their smash careers, Yes, it IS better, but maybe only for YOU. for those peopel who havent played melee or who want to try the WWN, there is no reason not to use it. Just make sure you set your controls to have the d-pad act similarly to the c-stick on the gamecube controller. Then, you have no tactical disadvantage. People who played with GCCs and then played for only a week with the WWN only think there is, since they are so hardwired to the GCC.

sar2698

Smash Rookie
I personally use the Wii Remote tilted sideways. I think i'm pretty decent, maybe it's because my default is kirby. xD The Wii Remote and nunchuck didn't quite work out for me. You move quicker using the gamecube controller. There are less buttons on the Wii Remote by far, but I've figured out the combinations to get what I need. :]

TBolt147

Smash Rookie
I prefer the GC controller, because it has the same feel as Melee. Also, the Wiimote is difficult for me to use (can't get shielding down for the life of me) and the Wiimote+Nunchuck is very odd feeling.
I don't have a Classic Controller. :p

BluB0mber

Smash Rookie
They are all difficult to short hop with, button range/variety seems more limited. GCC controller is simply just much easier to get comfortable with.

Nunchuck+Wiimote wasne't too bad... I got comfortable but once I started brawling competitively, I really felt limited.

Wiimote alone is terrible for me and many in general I believe... like many older males, I have large hands.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Well as a Peach mainer the Wii mote and Nunchuck is pretty out of the option for me and I dont really feel like changing the control scheme and such.
I havent tried the classic yet so currently I find the GC controller the best.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Well as a Peach mainer the Wii mote and Nunchuck is pretty out of the option for me and I dont really feel like changing the control scheme and such.
I havent tried the classic yet so currently I find the GC controller the best.
i find the remote+nunchaku easier w/peach, especially for floating since the C button is right next to the control stick. and i haven't tried the classic either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom