• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which controller should I buy?

Enix

Smash Rookie
Hi guys,

well I'm fairly new to this board and I just recently started to play SSBB again. I heard a lot of people saying that using a Wiimote+Nunchuk is crap and you can't do advanced techs with it properly. I'm thinking about getting myself either a Classic Controller Pro or a Gamecube Controller.

I'd like some advice of you, the experienced players, on which one to get. What are the pros and cons of both? Or should I just keep on using my Wiimote+Nunchuk? Or is it just about preference?

Sorry if there is a thread on this topic already, i used the search function but i couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks for answers.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
99% of people will tell you Gamecube controller.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Have any of you actually used a Classic Controller Pro?

Not saying it's better than a GC controller (which are hard to find at stores these days), but I wouldn't just turn down new things cause they're different. Gamestop gets the Pro in around the 20th, I think you should at least try both.

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
I would say Classic Controller Pro. The L and R buttons are not analog (read: with springs) plus you get an extra button. However, I would like to warn you that as of this post, MLG does not allow wireless controllers for tournaments. The Gamecube would be better for if you like to have a higher left joystick and a different placement/feel of where the right-side buttons are.

Enix

Smash Rookie
I have been thinking about it and I decided on a Gamecube controller because of the following reasons:

-you can play Virtual Console games with it too
-you can play Gamecube games on the Wii
-it doesn't drain the battery power of your Wiimote, hence you don't have to worry about your controller dying on you in the middle of a brawl

Thanks again for your answers guys, this thread can get closed now. :)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
lol for virtual console, you definitely want the classic.

Classic is WAY better for playing old games.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I've started using the Classic Controller Pro, but I've only really tried it twice. Got it at Christmas, but I've not really touched Brawl properly, asides for two nights of lulzy FFA's. What I can say though is that it is a good substitute for the GC controller, and far better than the original Classic. The only problem is that the ZL and ZR buttons are larger on this, so if you are used to the Gamecube controller you should probably swap shield to those, and grab to the smaller L and R buttons located in front.

And as Ukemi said, the shoulder buttons don't have springs, so it is more comfortable to shield for me at least, because on Melee I used to tap it lightly, whereas on Brawl it forced you to click it all the way down. Another good thing about it is that I'm not that good with short hops on the Gamecube controller, but with this it is ridiculously easy to do, so much so that I wasn't aware I was short hopping in a match I played as Falco until I held it down and I sprung up much higher than the other times I'd jumped in the match.

Most people will tell you that the Gamecube controller is better, and since release I've mainly stuck with the Nunchuck, but I have to say that I believe the Classic Controller Pro is definitely on par with the Gamecube controller, and in my opinion slightly better.

mariyanet

Smash Rookie
Gamecube controlled is the best to buy and right now i am using the same one and enjoying while playing.

Cuffs

Smash Rookie
im new as well, i agree the nintendo controller make sure it says gamecube because the gamestop ones, and the other non-official ones aren't so good, my Z button doesn't work so i get frustrated when I have an item lol, I'm going to buy one from that www.play-asia.com store, as of right now they only have white ones so im satisfied lets see how it goes.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
You could try to find one (GC controller) at ebay maybe? Make sure it's an OFFICIAL/ORIGINAL. You usually find used ones though.

Just saying.

Enix

Smash Rookie
im new as well, i agree the nintendo controller make sure it says gamecube because the gamestop ones, and the other non-official ones aren't so good, my Z button doesn't work so i get frustrated when I have an item lol, I'm going to buy one from that www.play-asia.com store, as of right now they only have white ones so im satisfied lets see how it goes.
I just recently ordered 2 original Gamecube controllers and 2 extension cables (else they won't reach my couch :ohwell:) at amazon. Well original Gamecube controllers aren't that cheap these days and you won't find many (online) stores that still got them in stock, but at least I got them delivered the next day.

Variable

Smash Ace
Anyone who plays competitively will tell you tell you to buy a GC controller. But it honestly just mattes how you play and what type of gamer you are. If you want to be good and go to tournys and get into that sort of stuff pick up a GC controller, but if you're just playing for fun or w/e then just go with what feels natural and what you like best.

tehferret

Smash Rookie
I have been saving the GC Controllers for a long time knowing I would do something with them...

So like I said, just use GC Controller.

dahighii

Smash Apprentice
Here’s what all the cool kids are using to play Brawl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YNOSu8YXr8

Personally I love the GameCube controller and use it for Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. 64 Virtual Console.
O. M. G. This is going to revolutionize life for me! I recently bought myself a generic Gamecube controller, and in many aspects it's the same as official Nintendo controllers; the buttons are in exactly the same place, it's exactly the same shape (controller and buttons), and it's basically a Gamecube controller without the Nintendo logo. However, I found that it's really hard to do utilts, and the rubber covering for the joystick wore away after a couple weeks. Thanks for this post, thank you so much

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Sure dahighii I’m glad I could be of service. Us Smashers gotta stick together and help each other out you know.

Those newer white GameCube controllers have never been sold in the United States. You have to import them, but they’re well worth the effort because they feature a longer cord than the official GC pads that were sold in the US. By the way, you can still order the platinum GameCube controllers directly from Nintendo’s On-line store although they cost almost as much as the white ones.

Official platinum GameCube controller link

Has anyone used the new Classic Controller Pro with Brawl yet? If so I’d really like to hear your impressions because the original CC never worked well for me.

Top Bottom