• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character is the most unique?

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I understand if some people don't count Pokemon Trainer as a character, but there is obviously no one like him.

Of the playable characters, I'd agree that ICs for the double-character controlling and Olimar for the pikmin.
Ice Climbers for shure.

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
Initially, I'd say Pokjémon Trainer, but since the three Pokémon are thought of as different characters, and not just one unique character.

Based on attacks and playstyle, Ivysaur, Lolimar and Sonic. Lolimar is the most unique of the three, as Ivysaur has a feel similar to a heavy Pika with fancypants moves. Sonic, while unique, has very little diversity in hais moves, and could be described physics-wise as a faster Mario, attacks excluded.

I guess Wario (though similar to Mario) and Zelda should get a mild mention. Ness or Lucas would, if there weren't two of them. Yoshi, if you think about it, is pretty different.

Oh yeah, and the ICs. Silly me for forgetting them.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I understand if some people don't count Pokemon Trainer as a character, but there is obviously no one like him.
The problem is that Pokemon Trainer isn't a true fighter. He just take controls of his Pokemons during the battle.

"there is obviously no one like him"... Are you sure about that ?

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
The problem is that Pokemon Trainer isn't a true fighter. He just take controls of his Pokemons during the battle.

"there is obviously no one like him"... Are you sure about that ?
*sighs*

I already established that if you only count playable characters pokemon trainer isn't unique.

And yes im shure.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lucario is easily the most unique fighter for having its attack power affected by its damage. The higher its damage, the more deadly its aura-based attacks become. Too bad it can't KO quickly unless it's in danger of getting KO'd itself.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lucario's aura is kinda unique (although his moveset isn't)
ICs, Olimar, PT, and MK, cause he's the only character that's been seriously debated for a ban in smash.
ib4banarguments

Chuz

Smash Cadet
How come nobody has mentioned Jiggz? Who else fights like her? Singing during a fight, kills by sleeping inside her target, blasts into orbit once her shield breaks, uses her own body as a projectile, etc.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Initially, I'd say Pokjémon Trainer, but since the three Pokémon are thought of as different characters, and not just one unique character.
PT IS NOT THE MOST UNIQUE.

Okay, he has 3 pokemon, cool beans for him. All of them are generic. None of them are really anything special.

OK, there's strategy in switching between them, SAME WITH ZELDA/SHEIK. But I don't see them being considered.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Yoshi is pretty unique IMO
Olimar and Iceclimbers are most unique tho cus of Pikman reliant moves and Iceclimbers having 2 ppl you can control at once.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
PT IS NOT THE MOST UNIQUE.

Okay, he has 3 pokemon, cool beans for him. All of them are generic. None of them are really anything special.

OK, there's strategy in switching between them, SAME WITH ZELDA/SHEIK. But I don't see them being considered.
I don't know why PT is still cited as The Most Unique...

As you said, It's so Generic.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Sheik. No other character in the game packs utilizes spandex and both breasts and a package in their playstyle. Sheik can always distract the opponent.

BeastlyBrawler323

Smash Rookie
ZSS is pretty unique...I mean who else can shoot you with a stun gun and then turn it into a whip and smack you around with it. Also, she has lots of long-reaching tethers and a third jump that can spike you.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Most popular answers: Pokemon Trainer, Ice Climbers, Olimar, Game and Watch.

The correct answer: Luigi.

All of those characters share a common trait(s) that makes them common. In comparison to Luigi.

Last time I checked, this board is god-awful at getting people that come up with original ideas or think for themselves. "Hey guys, lets just say ICs since tharrs two people lawl. Or pt cuz thers 3 diffrent pokemons rofl. or olimar cuz he has other people do his work hahha."

Analyze their movesets for all their worth. Think about what makes a character unique, what really sepeartes them from the cast in a way that no others do. The same can apply for all characters above, but moreso for Luigi than anyone else. Alright, let's take a look at what we have on the table.

He looks pretty similar to Mario. So you might think "oh but straked, there moves are practically teh same. you r wrong."

Well... no. Luigi does not follow the same mechanics other smashers do. To start, his most noticeable attribute is his traction, fall speed, and aerial movement. He is the only character in the game that has this feature. It can be good in some cases, bad in most. Luigi cannot shieldgrab or punish laggy moves because he gets knocked back far. This eliminates his strange ways of killing, and doesn't even set up for shieldgrabs. Luigi can't do anything. He is, however, immune to gamechanging things like Diddy Kong's banana combsz, or jab locks. Now, let's take a look at his moveset. He has some things that are completely unique in the regard that no other smasher has something like this.

When saying someone like Olimar or Ice Climbers are unique because they rely on others, they aren't unique. There's a select few characters that have these similar qualities. Olimar needing pikmin to fight can be compared to Nana. Without the partner, you'd be fighting an uphill battle with a character doomed to be bottom tier trash. You also might say Pokemon Trainer is unique for having 3 different characters you play as. I'll give you that once since it's entirely it's own, like being able to use Nana and Popo at once. But it follows the same rule that "you're using more than one character in a single game." They're similar in the sense that you have to use an extra no matter what.

Moving onto his moveset, play as him one game, and tell me you aren't surprised. His recovery is extremely strange. Keep this in mind. All Fire Jump Punches are Super Jump Punches, but not all Super Jump Punches are Fire Jump Punches. It's hard to understand if you haven't already done it. Now, the move itself is very odd. If used up close, you'll imitate the sound of a bat cracking, fire will shoot up, and they'll be sent spiraling upwards. If you don't connect properly, it'll do anywhere from 0.1 - 1% damage. Misfire. 1/8 chance of shooting a considerable distance with absolutely amazing damage and knockback. Nothing in the game is like it. And Judgment is much different, though I'd love to believe they have similar properties.

Every move where you have to input "down" on the control stick sends them... well... down. They're all meteors, and it's obvious they don't work in traditional ways. His Dtilt has some odd properties. At higher percents on stage, it pops them right off the ground in a silly animation. When used offstage of a platform, it's a weak semi-spike. His Dair is a quick attack that's more than meets the eye. If you land it on a specific point on his body, it'll send them straight down. Good meteor that nobody can truly master, though that's up for debate. Even his Down Taunt can do this. Snake is the only other character in the game with a damaging taunt, and Luigi has the good one. It's fast, kicks them straight down, but still techable. You'll never land it, but **** if it isn't rare.

Luigi's Nair. Quite possibly the best sex-kick in the game, it's very high priority and hella fast. It sends your opponent toward the sky. Straight up. No other move has this odd knockback property, and it's extremely good for the man in green. And his dash attack. Pause during his dash attack. That's all that really needs to be said.

As for smashes, his do some pretty strange things in terms of where they go and how the get there. Fsmash can be angled to kill earlier or lower, and the other two are fairly standard.

His Ftilt angled down has absolutely no knockback. It is the only move in the game that does this. (nittpickers, have at it.)

Aside from that, he's the only character to have 1% high trip ratio that everyone else.

He's just different.

:pt: - 3 seperate Pokemon with average movesets you'd expect.

:olimar: - Relies on pikmin that are plucked at random. SA frames at kind of unique.

:popo: - Two fighters at once.

All 4 can be considered unique. It's in the eye of the beholder, if you think someone other than Luigi is weird (you probably will), then far be it from me to tell you you are wrong.

EDIT: You are wrong.

There's probably 30-odd characters that are unique.​

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Like Straked has written down marvelously, you musn't look at looks/attacks/2 fighters at one or anything, that's not what makes a character, what makes a character are physics, hitboxes, hurtboxes, traction, jump height and more of that stuff. At first I thought of Snake as the most unique, because of his gamebreaking play with projectiles, but in the end they're really just projectiles, he just has a crap-load of them. IC's fight with two at a time, but their physics are not really much different from other chars, the chaingrab is unique in a way that no one can perform it, but that's because there are no 2 Captain Falcons or G&W's, or else they would've had chaingrabs too. A chaingrab is just a grab after a grab or more combinations with attacks, nothing more.

Luigi wins

Browny

Smash Hater
if you asked me who is the most non-unique character im smash I would have said luigi lol... all of his seemingly unique traits are similar others to some extent (upb=G&W #9, recovery=wario, downb=tornado lol) and has all the usual traits, assortment of combo/KO moves, projectile, standard throws etc.

IDK if ive posted here, but I'll say snake

Having more than 1 projectile is seen as a very good trait, so what does having 7 do? (mortar, c4, grenades, nikita, dsmash, box, cypher) for the record, all of those things are capable of KO'ing an enemy. He by far is the most unique character in the projectile department.

Tilts and jab. no one else even comes to close having the frightening range, speed and power of snakes ground game. You can rely on them entirely to deal all your damage and KO in some matchups. DK comes close with how useful they are, but severely lacking the KO power. Its completely absurd, snakes tilts and jabs are the equivalent of smash attacks, coming out in 3-6 frames. It makes me think the developers who programmed Snake didnt actually work with the team who made the rest of the cast, Snake was meant for a different game >_>

Aerials. Snake has the 2 highest damaging aerials in the game, and every single one is packing the KO power of a marth tipper fsmash. Who comes close to having the same power in the aerials as snake? even ganon cant contend, with his nair and uair weaker than snakes.

Grenades. Completely defines the way Snake plays, and is what makes him a top tier character. Diddy can contend with projectile abuse with bananas, but bananas dont allow you to survive any KO attack. grenade countering is completely broken.

Its almost as if Snake was not meant for brawl, his traits are so far beyond the entire casts on average, in a wide range of areas while being unique at the same time.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
In terms of Moveset Uniqueness, that spot easily goes to Mr. Game & Watch.
Ivysaur (not Pokemon Trainer) gets a honorable mention for being a four-legged character, and not going on two legs.

Regarding Playstyle...
I'd say Luigi, Lucario (whom I'm surprised to have seen so rarely), Zero Suit Samus and Wario.

Luigi has been explained by Straked.

Lucario is actually a very interesting character. While some of his moves look boring and stale when just looking at them, the whole aura **** going on making his hitboxes all whacky. He's also a very slow and floaty character and is actually heavy-ish despite his looks. His specials are actually very interesting too. The charging of his B is able to damage enemies, the UpB is one of the very few recovery moves that don't do any damage. His SideB can be a grab and his DownB is the most unique counter-style I've seen. And of course the Aura mechanic in itself is pretty dang unique.

Wario's main treat is of course the fact he's a heavy fast-ish floaty fatass. Additionally, pretty much his whole moveset is incredibly wacky, from throws to specials, and while nothing fancy is in there, it's still random enough to make him an interesting character in terms of playstyle. His ability to aircamp and his insane recovery only add to it. He has a few multi-hit attacks, as well.

Zero Suit Samus, as last character... She's just unique. First of all, she can be transformed into by Samus, but not transform back (without a Final Smash at least). When transforming into or starting as her, the player is provided with 3 throwable items spawning alongside. She uses a whip as weapon, a type of weapon the Smash series hasn't seen so far (outside from Sheik's chain, but that doesn't really count). She has several attacks that stun, another treat that rarely has been seen, especially not doing such a huge time of stun. Her SideB is interesting, just like her UpB and her DownB. The UpB catches enemies it hits and pulls them down, another thing I haven't seen before. She is the only character with a tether grab but no ZAir to complement, yet her recovery is one of the better ones. Additionally, while she does have a tether recovery, it, unlike most tether recoveries, is good and hard to gimp. Her aerials all are kinda disjointed. She's one of the minimal amount of characters in Brawl that have actual combos. Also, she has that hilarious footstool combo on R.O.B., that's another point, lol.

Browny

Smash Hater
lucas' tether, and zair (lol) is pretty much the same, just less range. But his incredible normal recovery make up for that lol. and how are ZSS aerials disjointed? do u have any hitbox images to show this? having quick aerials with a lot of range (see: wolfs bair) doesnt make them disjointed

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
lucas' tether, and zair (lol) is pretty much the same, just less range.
Well, Lucas HAS a ZAir, Zero Suit Samus doesn't. Which is what I meant :p

and how are ZSS aerials disjointed? do u have any hitbox images to show this?
Her feet are as far as I know not part of her hurtbox. Of course, not the whole legs.

FUNKLAB

Smash Cadet
Snake, ICs, or Lucario. Snake just feels so different from the rest of the cast if you ask me.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Honestly... There are many characters much more uniques than Pokemon Trainer and you can't play with him. You play with the Pokemons. Look at Brawl+, he was removed.
Brawl+ is a hack. Pokemon Trainer is unique due to the simple fact he's the only character with the number of movesets and techniques you can learn with him. I understand you're not using him, but you're using all three of his Pokemon.

Snake, for example, is one of the most unique characters.

I would say Luigi.
Snake is in no way unique. I mean really, what's so unique about him?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
IDK if ive posted here, but I'll say snake

Having more than 1 projectile is seen as a very good trait, so what does having 7 do? (mortar, c4, grenades, nikita, dsmash, box, cypher) for the record, all of those things are capable of KO'ing an enemy. He by far is the most unique character in the projectile department.

Tilts and jab. no one else even comes to close having the frightening range, speed and power of snakes ground game. You can rely on them entirely to deal all your damage and KO in some matchups. DK comes close with how useful they are, but severely lacking the KO power. Its completely absurd, snakes tilts and jabs are the equivalent of smash attacks, coming out in 3-6 frames. It makes me think the developers who programmed Snake didnt actually work with the team who made the rest of the cast, Snake was meant for a different game >_>

Aerials. Snake has the 2 highest damaging aerials in the game, and every single one is packing the KO power of a marth tipper fsmash. Who comes close to having the same power in the aerials as snake? even ganon cant contend, with his nair and uair weaker than snakes.

Grenades. Completely defines the way Snake plays, and is what makes him a top tier character. Diddy can contend with projectile abuse with bananas, but bananas dont allow you to survive any KO attack. grenade countering is completely broken.

Its almost as if Snake was not meant for brawl, his traits are so far beyond the entire casts on average, in a wide range of areas while being unique at the same time.
See here, Uffe.

Spadefox and dj are pretty good at playing Smashboards because they give good reasons as to why they believe something.

Top Bottom