• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

D

Deleted member

at low %s, Bomb SHFFL Fair grab d throw up smash up air up b

Its... kind of a thing. So is bomb upsmash, also I guess bair works but I don't use it.

Player -0

Smash Hero
The way I see it for camping is:
- Link stays in one spot and forces the opponent to get past the projectiles to get to Link, which by then Link can escape and set up camp in another spot.

- TLink moves around more and circle camps the opponent while they chase him.

I play circle camp sometimes (naturally) but going aggro is super cool. Just circle camp until I get a good position.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Circle camping is a great way to put it. T.Link is great at moving around the stage while throwing dangerous things onto the screen.

Like Lunchables said, he works great off hit confirms, and it's not just bombs that do the trick. You can get a lot off of a boomerang or close arrow too. He's also does fairly well close range.

The character is incredibly versatile, and has high damage combos, and great kill setups.

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
My most recent practice has pretty much consisted of me circle camping until I got a good hit in with a projectile, then me trying to combo.
One thing I can't seem to get the hang of is his AGT bomb toss recovery. You're supposed to be able to up-special right out of the AGT into the bomb, right? 'cuz I seem to only be able to get it with a double jump + up-special.

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
The frame window is kind of tight, but you can up+b right out of AGT and hit the bomb. There a ton of videos online but it really just comes down to grinding it out and getting the muscle memory.

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
Stage wise, I assume you want a big stage and platforms to utilize his mobility and ability to circle camp? It looks like Dream Land is really good for him -- with that and the fact that you can recover from anything with enough bomb tosses

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Depends on the MU imo, small stages are excellent for him as it allows you to cover more relative space with his projectiles, nair cornered opponents more often and kill extremely early. I'd pick larger stages when you can outlive your opponent by a considerable margin due to his excellent longevity and smaller stages vs any one else. WarioWare in particular is amazing IMO as the platforms are excellent for uair juggles and you can AGT camp with the top 2 platforms.

Last edited:

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
Then what stages are bad for him? The only one I can think of is GHZ, but that might be because I don't like that stage in general.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I'm hard pressed to think of many legal stages that are particularly bad for him, he's a flexible character overall so I think he does a good job of adapting to most stages. I guess I'd say it's primarily down to your preference, e.g. I know Lunchables and several others hate FD, I personally enjoy it but generally dislike Smashville. Maybe YI: Brawl is the worst overall? It's basically a quirky FD with a platform that mitigates your grab combos.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Stage selection is 100% matchup dependent. Generally you just want to take a character to a stage they're not able to perform well on. T. Link will most likely be able to perform on it just fine.

Like, you don't want to take Marth anywhere small for obvious reasons. Or you want to take C. Falcon to smaller stages so he doesn't have a lot of room to move around.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
at low %s, Bomb SHFFL Fair grab d throw up smash up air up b

Its... kind of a thing. So is bomb upsmash, also I guess bair works but I don't use it.
reverse bair is nasty but i **** w/ what you said too. reserve bair is hard tho cause u can miss & also they can DI it, but u can hit them with reg bair to throw off their DI.

ur combo is much safer tho.

as far as stages go i really like FD now except against diddy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

FD gives us no platforms, and platforms are a HUGE part of toonlinks game imo. Smash in general isn't smash without projectiles, I don't like FD all that much even with my marth/roy secondaries

Bomb SHFFL Fair Grab at lower %s is the most optimal punish off of a bomb connect. Upsmash is also pretty good. Bair can be DI'd and the followups aren't as good IMO.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
@Lunchables that can obviously only apply to certain distances and angles? Because I have no better solutions, what would you recommend when you get
- a bomb connect at an opponent diagonal to you, but over sh height
- an opponent over you (up-air, bair or fair? what combos better)
- a bomb from big distance (take the space, try to punish or pull another bomb?)

D

Deleted member

- a bomb connect at an opponent diagonal to you, but over sh height
- an opponent over you (up-air, bair or fair? what combos better)
- a bomb from big distance (take the space, try to punish or pull another bomb?)
1. They're above you, but short hop fair won't work? Up air. Now they're above you, aka you're in the better position. Now they have to land, and you can either throw a projectile to where they go or you can up air again because of how much priority it has. A great example of this is marth v. tink, tink puts marth in the air and marth never gets to come down ^-^

2. same thing as above, up air. Up air, up air, and if the situation allows it you can finish with up b. I

3. If you connect a bomb from a very large distance away and you run up to fair, they'll probably shield it. Fair IS ridiculously safe on shield (+1) but IMO its better to just keep throwing things. Either way you're probably in the better position.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Fair is +1 on shield? Looolwhat? Need to go to frame data thread.

Also at higher percents after bomb I prefer weak Nair over Fair because it can lead into grab and then more damage -> Dair/Up-B. Also at low percents sometimes, might try Fair though.

D

Deleted member

I didn't include how safe stuff is on shield... but I think:
Nair = 0
Fair = +1
Bair = -1
Uair = Don't try
Dair = lol what
Boomerang = -11

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
When is a SHFFLd nair a good option? Should I use it solely for the sake of mixups?
Also, what is a good option for a bomb connect at high percents?

B.W.

Smash Champion
N-Air is one of your go to OoS moves. It covers a good area around you and it comes out faster than F-Air.

I guess for the most part though, SHFFL F-Air is better due to the damage and the kill potential.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
FD gives us no platforms, and platforms are a HUGE part of toonlinks game imo. Smash in general isn't smash without projectiles, I don't like FD all that much even with my marth/roy secondaries

Bomb SHFFL Fair Grab at lower %s is the most optimal punish off of a bomb connect. Upsmash is also pretty good. Bair can be DI'd and the followups aren't as good IMO.
dude ur just weird i like fd for uair juggles and horizontal camp game strong. warm up to fd u wont

I didn't include how safe stuff is on shield... but I think:
Nair = 0
Fair = +1
Bair = -1
Uair = Don't try
Dair = lol what
Boomerang = -11
not even spaced bair? :[ i was against it but it auto cancels

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

dude ur just weird i like fd for uair juggles and horizontal camp game strong. warm up to fd u wont
I don't like FD because we don't have platforms on there. No platforms = neutral game is worse because its more predictable. If our stuff blew up on shield or was safe on shield I'd like FD more because then we'd be as stupid as link. I also like platforms because when you land an up air YOU CAN KEEP IT GOING! Up air, Up air, Up air, use the platforms to your advantage when juggling. You can also easily ledge cancel stuff like your up b special fall animation.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I may be going to a tournament this weekend, I main Toon Link, so I thought I'd let you guys know, for some strange reason.

Wish me luck!

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
Good luck, dude. I'm also going to try out Tink in a tournament this weekend! Been practicing quite a bit, I'll see how it works out.

Nemiak temp

Smash Apprentice
This character is soooo good <3 I walljump bomb >dair meteor'd a fox trying to UpB the other day. Toon Link? More like Swagmaster Deluxe Link

Nemiak temp

Smash Apprentice
Sweg...... trying to picture you doing that and hitting the correct hitbox without getting burned by his fire. did you agt it up? @ Nemiak temp Nemiak temp
No AGT just threw it after the wall jump and fell with a dair. It was honestly a mistake (meant to nair) but it worked and it was hype haha. My opponent said he was salty about being camped until that stock

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know what factors cause max-length tether? It seems just barely not random and I almost feel like a jerk when it happens....almost.

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
@Lunchables I was watching your sets during br11 since your are tink god reincarneted as a god cubed. and you would drop a bomb agt it up I think then dair and it would always hit. What did you do o.0

D

Deleted member

If you time stamp what you're talking about I could explain, because I'm not sure what you're referring to lol

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
okay @Lunchables I was rewatching the clips and turns out you would dash dance go to the edge short hop zdrop a bomb and instantly jump with a dair. I'm assuming this covers the low option and the high option. If they go high they get hit with dair and if they go low they get hit with a bomb, correct?

Congrats on the win of br11

D

Deleted member

okay @Lunchables I was rewatching the clips and turns out you would dash dance go to the edge short hop zdrop a bomb and instantly jump with a dair. I'm assuming this covers the low option and the high option. If they go high they get hit with dair and if they go low they get hit with a bomb, correct?

Congrats on the win of br11
1. Once again, if you see me do something can you please timestamp it? It's so much easier to explain

2. Thanks! <3

Top Bottom