• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Link is slightly favored to Tink, while it's hard to get anywhere near marth with his stubby Master Sword. Zard is pretty good for TL, but DDD will give you hell if your just picking up TL. His recovery is absurd, just try killing him on FoD. Generally, TL handles other quick characters better than the big punching bags, but you can still run circles around guys like Bowser or DK once you get comfortable with him. That's how I feel anyways.

D

Deleted member

Toonlink does fine vs marth and DDD. You can juggle marth for days and punish his short active frames easily, throw **** at him lmao. DDD does live forever, but thats why toonlinks love to CP small stages, early d throw up b. Toonlink handles the quick characters worse IMO because toonlink likes to put out a wall of stuff and wrack up quick %, lead into one of his many kill moves. Big punching bags are easily destroyed by projectiles.
Thats how I feel anyways :s

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Good point. My vision might be flawed because I first mained Link, who handles fast/small/rushdown characters horribly, so since Toon Link handles them a little bit better than him, it made me think that he's better suited towards them in general. One thing I need to know though, how the hell do I deal with Squirtle? He destroys all of my characters(which you can see in my sig), it feels like nothing works on him. He's so small he just goes under all my projectiles...

D

Deleted member

Squirtle is pretty annoying, I'll agree. I'm not sure too much on what to do with toonlink, I'd nair a lot of his approaches and make sure not to fall into his side b gimmicks
Also not all your chars lose to him, marth definitely beats squirtle lol

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Squirtle is pretty annoying, I'll agree. I'm not sure too much on what to do with toonlink, I'd nair a lot of his approaches and make sure not to fall into his side b gimmicks
Also not all your chars lose to him, marth definitely beats squirtle lol
Well, maybe I'm just bad. I should clarify that I rarely lose the match, mostly due to the AI's odd quirks, but I still have yet to find a real person to play against, so I'm stuck with the AI, which may be why I'm so bad...

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Sure, but his playstyle should be relatively unaffected, looking at the patch notes.

And I can't find any better videos. Jolteon's really good, but maybe not quiiiiite on the same level. *ducks*

D

Deleted member

Actually, his play style is pretty significant. He obtained a very noticable fast fall of which improved pretty much everything about him, he has better juggling tools out of utilt/uthrow (which vs falco is a big thing), agting is easier, and some other moves that are less significant still made an impact.
Jolteon is probably better than aero, he had that one good tournament but since then he's shifted his focus away from tink and he's started losing to more people now :(

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I remember when Frenium (Aero) first started posting his sick videos when 2.5 came out of toon link and his recover as well as bomb tricks. The good old days of 2.5....

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
nice meeting you at apex, jolteon. i think i'm going to start practicing & taking P:M more serious now after doing so well at apex so hopefully I remember to post stuff

jtm94

Smash Lord
Quick question.
So I like projectiles and therefore like Tink.

But what must be done to not fast-fall when you pull out a bomb in the air? Do you just have to be rising and do it?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I would like to say, when you're starting out, T.Link vs Marth is fairly hard. Marth will destroy T.Link if he gets in, and his dash dance might give you some trouble. Once you become better accustomed to T.Link's arsenal Marth becomes a much more fair and much more fun matchup. I wouldn't say either has a distinct advantage over the other though.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Strongly considering picking TL up.

How are his matchups against Link, Marth, Zard, D3?

EDIT: Jolteon, I wept tears of joy when you finally beat PPro's M2 at the end there.

EDIT EDIT: It also seems like you never grounded glide toss. Any particular reason?

EDIT X3 COMBO: Holy galumphing gonads, Aero's TL is hype as hell
He does fine vs Marth/Link imo. Make sure to respect Marth's DD grab game before approaching and also be wary of getting grabbed by Link (he has a lengthy CG on TL). Don't have enough D3/Zard experience to comment. I don't do a grounded glide toss because TL's is practically non-existent, otherwise I would use GT oos a lot.

nice meeting you at apex, jolteon. i think i'm going to start practicing & taking P:M more serious now after doing so well at apex so hopefully I remember to post stuff
Hey Smith, really enjoyed hanging out with you at Apex. Cool to hear that you are interested in PM TL, would be nice to have more people around here.

Congrats @ Apex, btw.

Quick question.
So I like projectiles and therefore like Tink.

But what must be done to not fast-fall when you pull out a bomb in the air? Do you just have to be rising and do it?
There are 2 ways to do this. 1) You can buffer the down input during an action where you can't fast fall or 2) just tilt downwards.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Grounded glide toss? How would that work, I though it only works with an airdodge?
You can throw items out of roll as well, just as you would a glide toss.

Bomb toss oos is a pretty good option.

And thanks for that! I can get AGTs super easily sometimes, and other times I just choke and fast-fall to doom. I will experiment.

Jolteon

Fair enough. I just thought doing this OoS would be a pretty safe way to start the train.
Yeah, it would be a really good option if it were a thing. :p

You can throw items out of roll as well, just as you would a glide toss.

Bomb toss oos is a pretty good option.

And thanks for that! I can get AGTs super easily sometimes, and other times I just choke and fast-fall to doom. I will experiment.
You get used to it in due time, just keep at it and eventually it'll feel natural. FWIW I use both techniques.

Jolteon

You don't really get any momentum from it, so it's basically the same as a regular item toss.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
You don't really get any momentum from it, so it's basically the same as a regular item toss.
A regular item toss out of shield, where you stay on the ground. I'm not saying that there'll be many applications, but surely it has to be useful for something- esp considering TL's relatively long grab range. :o

Jolteon

You can toss an item out of shield by simply pressing A or using the c-stick, you don't need to GT to do it.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Hey Smith, really enjoyed hanging out with you at Apex. Cool to hear that you are interested in PM TL, would be nice to have more people around here.

Congrats @ Apex, btw.
Yeah, me too. I wish we played when I was sober, but ah well. Yeah after watching you some I'm way more interested in Toon Link, you do some really cool stuff with aerial glide toss with bombs. Hopefully I can apply more of this next time.

Thanks, hopefully I can continue repping Toon Link.

Shrug

Smash Cadet
Am I doing something wrong here? It seems that when I have tap jump off to make AGT easier, I am unable to perform Up B or Up Smash OOS. Do you know if this is intentional? It seems like since Toon Link's grab is so laggy that Up B OOS would be really useful.

Also, on the topic of AGT: when I AGT and then use Up B on my bomb, I don't appear to be able to use my second jump, so is having tap jump off to save that second jump really necessary? Just to clarify, I have tap jump off in this case, so I am not wasting my second jump by screwing up the timing on the AGT.

Jolteon

You need to jump to make up+b and usmash work oos, so if you are disabling tap jump you will have to press a jump button first. Also, turning tap jump off shouldn't make AGT any easier, it just makes it easier to conserve your jump while AGTing.

Regarding your 2nd question: Using your up+b in the air will make you lose your second jump, it's still useful to conserve your second jump while AGTing however as it allows you to keep the option to double jump after AGTing towards the stage, or AGT -> tether -> drop tether and DJ -> stuff.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Alright guys we need to talk Pikachu. I just played Anther for a few hours and I could use some insight on how to deal with him.

D

Deleted member

I've played anther over wifi before and I've dealt with him just fine.
A few things I noticed, pikachu has an easy time edge guarding tl unlike some other characters, and he gets in really easily/stays on him. Pikachu however is a really really nice combo weight and if you can just get one projectile in on him you can deal like 80%.

Jolteon

Heavy chars have too much end lag to cg, mostly you can only get like a jab/utilt on them after a dthrow.

Jolteon

Even on DDD? I was able to do it on DDD.
I'll try it on Dedede next time I play and let you know my findings. :p Would be pretty sweet if he did.

edit: While I'm at it I'll try it out again on all the heavyweights.

Top Bottom