• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where you AGT? The Official Toon Link General Discussion/ Video Thread!

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
The changes to TL are amazing. He's wonderfully fast with a billion reliable combo options and safe approaches

B.W.

Smash Champion
I have played a little T.Link, despite me changing mains.

He does indeed feel fantastic.

D

Deleted member

Toonlink feels so smooth, he's like perfect now. I mean he isn't fox but it's still pretty ****ing impressive :)

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Been playing Toon Link since 3.0 and I've gotta say, he's feels awesome now. Everything just seems to flow. Well done PMBR. Well done.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
My apologies if this has already been posted, but I think that the Project M Backroom should, at the very least, include Young Link as an Alt. Costume for Toon Link, if not as a completely separate character. What do you guy think of my proposal?

D

Deleted member

The PMBR doesn't like to change the characters entire model. For example theres no rosalina peach, daisy peach, etc. It still has to fall within the texture/little add-on area like doc being or pika hat.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Yeah, it still has to be the same character, just a new outfit. Although, I would like if his outset costume got recolors.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I demand recolors of Outset Toon Link. And recolors for everyone who doesn't have alt costume recolors at that.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
You're right, I didn't think about that. In that case, I DEMAND Young Link as a separate character. PM wanted it to be more like Melee, make it more like Melee. Roy and Mewtwo are already in as separate characters. Dr. Mario is an Alt. Costume. Pichu is practically confirmed as a Clone Engine character. I don't care if Toon Link is made to be like Young Link, put him in with a new move set, change Toon Links, or leave it alone, I don't care, but he needs to be in!!!:mad:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Young Link can go wander off into some other continent with a weird moon for all I care.

Oh wait.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I love Pichu and Toon Link, but somehow making either of them not redundant would crazy difficult: there's no hope for three links

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Young Link AND Pichu should be added. They are the only Melee veterans who have yet to be added, and it would make a lot of people happy if both were included in some way, shape or form. I feel like Pichu is nearly a given, but I worry about Young Link making the cut. He NEEDS to be in.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Young Link AND Pichu should be added. They are the only Melee veterans who have yet to be added, and it would make a lot of people happy if both were included in some way, shape or form. I feel like Pichu is nearly a given, but I worry about Young Link making the cut. He NEEDS to be in.
Three of the SAME people, with one of them already possessing many of his traits, and next to no currently possible ways to differentiate his playstyle from the others? No, thanks.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Toon Link is already all the good of Young Link with very little of the bad. I don't know about Pichu, but I doubt he will be put in. We already have too many damn pokémon.

Azuraith

Smash Apprentice
how do you do an agt without like hitting your self just getting the agt boost to make your horizontal recovery better? ive seen a bunch of videos of this being done but cant seem to find anything explaining how its done...

B.W.

Smash Champion
I don't know what you're talking about. AGT is done by stopping the air dodge animation by throwing an item. You don't need to hurt yourself to do an AGT.

D

Deleted member

AGTing to the left or right isn't worth anything. You barely go anywhere, your best bet is to AGT up and if you don't want to up b into the bomb then you can up b away from it, or air dodge zair to the ledge (which is probably safer).
If you mean AGT up but throw the bomb to the left or right, then input the AGT up and use your cstick to the left or right.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Jolteon, so many hours of goodness. I'm just sad that no outset costume was used. :p

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I saw Jolteon doing a lot of Chaingrabs on Jcaesar's stream. Does anybody have an idea on what characters this works on? I saw it happen to metaknight, link, and I would have to guess it works on any fastfaller at a certain percent range.

D

Deleted member

I just had a pretty good/long session with an offline friend of mine. Most of the games were vs his yoshi but I got a few others in. I'll upload them sometime, I think they'll be helpful :D

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I saw Jolteon doing a lot of Chaingrabs on Jcaesar's stream. Does anybody have an idea on what characters this works on? I saw it happen to metaknight, link, and I would have to guess it works on any fastfaller at a certain percent range.
I started to experiment with these a few days ago. The % it works to varies depending on the character but it works on most semi ffers.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
No! To both of these. If Pichu and Young Link want to come back than they can come back the same way Doctor Mario came back. As alt. costumes.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
I main toon link in brawl
My preference was use simple combo at low % such as u-tilt -> b-air
and at mid % to be as campy as possible while i wait for an opening.
I enjoyed his floatyness. whenever i jumped into the air i had time to think, take a sip of tea, then decide if i wanted to go with the boomerang, arrow, or bomb.

In brawl it was clear that toon link's camping game was much much better than his close range game.
But i Project m i am not so sure.

His long range game different now that you can actually combo with your projectiles.
Is it better than brawl? idk, but the speed of the game seams to put more emphasis on close range combat.

(point of the message)
Should i be more campy like i was in brawl or do i need to focus much more on close range combat?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Depends on the match and the situation.

I play a more Melee Young Link style which involves me running away a lot, but it definitely doesn't hurt to know how to get yourself in there.

D

Deleted member

Be a mix of both. Some MUs you can platform camp (Platform camp as in fast camping, don't sit in place and just throw ****. Use toonlinks mobility! He's crazy fast on platforms and can make his opponents mess up/set up for combos.)
Some MUs you can truly just go in. Toonlink can handle stuff up close and personal now, he isn't perfect at it but if the situation happens its not nearly as brutal as brawl. up b oos for shield pressure, d throw follow ups and juggles (uthrow for fast fallers). I love this character :)

D

Deleted member

Toonlink has a frame 3 jumpstart (aka he can't dacus). It's the fastest jumpstart in the game. Without tap jump its also super duper hard.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
I use it all the time, but had no idea Up-B OoS was difficult. It's one of my primary defensive tactics. I use tap jump ON.

I'd trade the ability to up-B OoS to be able to bomb jump consistently... BibleThump

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I almost always whiff the bomb jump when I need it most. I always seem to hit Up-B too early for it to actually happen, & by the time I react to ****ing up, I've missed the incredibly small window for hitting the bomb.

B.W.

Smash Champion
T.Link...

No matter what I do...

I keep coming back to you...

You're my best character and ilu.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Strongly considering picking TL up.

How are his matchups against Link, Marth, Zard, D3?

EDIT: Jolteon, I wept tears of joy when you finally beat PPro's M2 at the end there.

EDIT EDIT: It also seems like you never grounded glide toss. Any particular reason?

EDIT X3 COMBO: Holy galumphing gonads, Aero's TL is hype as hell

Last edited:
Top Bottom