• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where Sonic's Moves Came From. (Serious discussion)

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Over the past month, I've been doing some research on just where Sonic is getting these moves from. I know a lot of Sonic's moves do fit his style, but some are just so unlike him. Now, even though I played a good amount of Sega/Sonic games, I only found origins for a few moves. So I'm going to start a list of moves here & hopefully those of you here that have played a lot or just a few Sega games, can help me complete this list.

Move: Down-Air
Origin: Sonic Battle (GBA)

Okay, I spotted this the instant I saw the "Sonic Enters The Brawl" vid on Dojo. It's Shadow's Aerial Attack & Counter Attack in Sonic Battle for the GBA. It's almost the exact same animation in Brawl as it is in Sonic Battle. Shadow would stall in the air for a spit second, then come down forcefully with one leg extended downward, just like Sonic does in Brawl.

Move: Forward Smash
Origin: Sonic the Fighters

Just like in Brawl, Sonic would wind-up then unleash a strong punch.

Move: Side-Special (The beginning)
Orgin: Sonic Battle (GBA)

This is only the beginning part of Sonic's Side Spin Dash.(Where he does a short jump) Emerl Drive is a weak version of Sonic Drive.In the game, Emerl would do a shot hop while spinning.

Move: Spin Shot (As it's know here)
Origin: Sonic Battle (GBA)

I have no expectation of people calling the Spin Shot, the Sonic Drive. But the Spin Shot has the exact same animation & most of the mechanics of the Sonic Drive. In Sonic Battle, Sonic threw a ring & then did a long distance jump toward the ring while spinning.

Move: Foward-Air
Origin: NiGHTS Into Dreams/NiGHTS Journey of Dreams

Yes, I figured it out! Some people say this is one of Espio's moves. But a few days ago, it just clicked. This is NiGHTS boost from his games. Or more so, the ending of his boost. I mean look at it, Sonic even has his arms out just like NiGHTS does when he flies. Case Closed.

Move: The Slow Walk (the weird one)
Real Name: Monkey Walk (you know where I'm goin' with this :D)
Origin: ........Super Monkey Ball (xD)

I honestly think this is where his walk came from, but I'm not completely sure. Normally I wouldn't post something like this unless I was sure of it. But i know a few of you would find this conclusion hilarious.

Move: Forward-Tilt
Origin: Sonic the Fighters

Exact same animation in Brawl as it is in Sonic the Fighters. Sonic would stand on his hands the do an outward kick.

So far that's all I have. But if you notice any other Non-Sonic moves post them & I can add them to the list. Especially from Sega's big fighting games cause I know there are a few from there, but I don't play those games.
Please discuss.

Thanks for reading & thanks for the help - Blaze

Harkness Riku

Smash Rookie
Yeah, i knew most of them were from Sonic the Fighters. But great find man.

And good initiative for doing your research, BK.

Trillion

Smash Ace
i haven't played sonic adventure 1 so it may be found first there, but the Homing Attack is in sonic adventure 2.

Here's a vid of sonic the fighters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdBoUj2Pv7k

The first two hits in hit neutral A combo are at 0:22 and it's called the Double Punch.
The third hit of the neutral A combo is either the kick at 1:42, creatively named Kick or the kick at 1:55 called the Side Kick.
The grab animation in brawl is just like in this vid at 0:53, its called the Scissor Punch. (it's easier to see if you slow down Brawl in training or can frame by frame a vid of it.)
The forward smash is at 1:07, its called the Windup Punch.
The down smash may be at 1:20, called the Spiral Spin. (It's hard to notice in Brawl. But Sonic's down smash doesn't just move him back and forth, he's actually doing small circles, which is why I believe it may be from this move.)
The forward tilt is at 2:09, its called the Horse Kick
Dash attack is at 3:37, its called the Dash Spin.
This may be wrong, but the up tilt may be from the last two kicks of the Skip Kick, found at 4:18
Nair may be at 4:40, called the Air Spin.
The fair may be from the Emerald Dive at 5:10
The maker of the video comments: "Wow, I've just noticed after all this time that I've left out the "Leg Throw" move. It's the one just before the "Horse Kick". Anyhow, it's like a leg sweep, exactly the same as Sonic's Tilt down a in Brawl."
So that would be the down tilt, assuming the video maker's analysis is correct.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I just watched the vid link posted by DJBrowny. The same guy made that vid who made the vid I posted. I personally believe his idea of the down aerial is incorrect because sonic is stomping with both feet as opposed to the falcon kick style move from brawl. As I suspected, the homing attack did come from sonic adventure 1. I also disagree with his down throw. I may be wrong but I thought the spin dash existed in the very first sonic the hedgehog, but he credits it to Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The Forward smash thing is wrong though. Knuckles wouldn't wind it up, he just pulled his fist back then punched, it was really strong but really slow. Sonic's wind up punch is from Sonic Fighters. The rest seem pretty good though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i believe down tilt actually came from STH2006, where if you tap the attack button while running he does a split leg sweep kick. thats why his down tilt inches him forward.

Top Bottom