• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where does a Lucario player place Lucario? (tier list)

Hyprodimus Prime

Smash Cadet
I know we have a huge thread on the brawl tiers but Id like to see where the Lucario mainers place themselves.

High
Mid
Low

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Lucario feels like upper mid tier to me. I can do really well against some characters (Marth, Ike, sometimes Pit), but I consistently lose to others (G&W, ZSS, Lucas--Does anyone have tips for beating these three?).

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
Frankly, it's too freaking early for a tier list. still while i'm here writing...
High tier, at the very least. Luc's got a great mindgame potential, excelent recovery that is great to juke edgeguarders, a solid dsmash (his fsmash is rather slow but still useful), MANY good KO moves, counter (which is frankly the most humiliating way to die XD), and one of the best combo potentials around.
oh, and dair, which frankly makes my day with air moves XD

Riodsey

Smash Cadet
I think at least high, because with good DI you can survive more than you imagine and reach 150% if you play right, doing a great boost to his power. He also has the ability to make comebacks often because that ability.
And with a great projectile, aerial game, and combo ability, I think he is in high tier.

I don't care at all for these tiers, in the future if he becomes low tier, I will still use him.

Warrior21

Smash Rookie
I'd say high-mid tier, he is definitely weaker than certain characters. I admit he has good combo potential and a great deal of power once his % is high enough but, he still lacks certain strengths. He falls too slow, and can be knocked out at lower %'s than other characters.
He does have excellent range, and a creative style for recovery. I would say these along with his combo abilities would be able to qualify him for at least mid-tier, but characters like Toon Link and Wolf just out rank him by too much.

rayecho

Smash Ace
I think lucario is bottom of high or top of mid. I'm not to sure on the pros or cons of lucario both its just where i think he should be.

Browny

Smash Hater
Lucario feels like upper mid tier to me. I can do really well against some characters (Marth, Ike, sometimes Pit), but I consistently lose to others (G&W, ZSS, Lucas--Does anyone have tips for beating these three?).
G&W users love their key...
be sure to jump into it every time, and double team it. also their approach is extremely predictable. its either the turtle, fishbowl, turtle or the turtle. more free double team food.

ZSS is really hard i guess, i got no ideas.

lucas... well **** aura spheres are out of he question. double team works very well vs pkthunder , a lot better than an air dodge will. probably same as G&W, lucas users love thier up-smash, fall into it and double team it at every opportunity.

Milln

Smash Champion
For characters that can absorb/reflect your Aura Sphere, never fire it from far away. Always do it right in their face so that can't do anything about it. It's quick and has little recovery, enabling you to do something else. Game & Watch is a little different, because of how Bucket works. You can fire it from far away as long as you're not predictable about it, and if he catches two, stop using it from far away and only blast him with fully charged ones up close. Also, like browny said, they love their key. Double Team it or shield grab it immedaitely upon hit. Also, I think usmash out-prioritizes it. Never spotdodge it. Only Roll or one of the other things we've told you.

I personally don't have trouble against ZSS. Keep her about two Lucarios away unless you're going for combos.

Lucas... don't try to dair him. Please.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
Well, i view it as this:

Top [the chacters 90% of people will play as]
High [the other characters that make up the set that wins about 90% of the tournament]
Mid [the characters who win the other 10%]
Low [have potential, sometimes people place decently, but really you probably wont win a tournament with these guys]
Bottom [crap characters. See: Pichu from the last game]

I think there is basically no chance he is going to be Top tier. people love characters with movement techniques and where you move your fingers a lot. And I think when the tier list first starts, the top tier will be people who play similarly to the good melee characters. I would think Sonic unquestionably. I mean, he moves like a mad man. and then probably Fox, but who knows.

I also think there is almost no chance for making him low or bottom tier. He has good combo potential, and just seems like an all around usable character.

This leaves mid or high. Could be either one depending on how the metagame shapes up, but im guessing mid. Buggy and cheap characters aways tend to end up as the characters who hit the top, so look for peach and marth to return to glory, and then a surprise appearance by Young link maybe.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Personally, I see him in mid high. He doesn't look like much at first, but he has such excellent statistics and the necessary tools to stand up to just about every character in the game with very few truly poor matchups.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Oh, and from what I hear, Peach will not be returning to high tier. Most Peach players say she's terrible now.

And come on now, bottom of mid? Any character who has better hitboxes than Marth and who can control the match with a single irritating projectile deserves higher.

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
I would say that he probably will place High-mid or high. Good combo potential, good range(and awesome disjointed hitboxes), can pack a punch at high %'s and with his god tier roll's/double team for predictable approaches he can play defensively at high %'s nicely as well.

Double team is also a nice KO move that most people don't particularly think will be a KO move, seeing how it's a counter, which allows him to sometimes win those very "panicky" matches when both players are in high %'s on the last stocks.

You also have to remember that he's one of the only characters that can actually combo effectively and in some situations can combo someone to the edge for a KO.

coolguy75

Smash Cadet
TomH Sonic lacks so much priority that basically anything gets through his attacks short of someone attacking the bottom of his dair and even then not much priority

and on topic i would say that because of his metagame potential mid tier but because of the sheer advantages other characters have (DDDs chaingrap/infinite, TLink's bair and projectiles, and Wolf in general) he won't end up that high. And plus people play the flashy, quick characters

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
TomH Sonic lacks so much priority that basically anything gets through his attacks short of someone attacking the bottom of his dair and even then not much priority

and on topic i would say that because of his metagame potential mid tier but because of the sheer advantages other characters have (DDDs chaingrap/infinite, TLink's bair and projectiles, and Wolf in general) he won't end up that high. And plus people play the flashy, quick characters
Are you ignoring the fact that Lucario can chain throw all heavy to mid-heavy and fast-falling characters to 80% and up after landing a single jab at the start of a match?

That includes Dedede, Snake, Ike, Fox, and he chains Marth up to 60% with an appropriate grab and chase combo ender. All popular characters.

coolguy75

Smash Cadet
The idea behind saying that people play the flashy quick characters was to say that not as many people will win tourneys with him, which i thought was the idea of a tier list (not sarcasm)

Correct me if i'm wrong but i still believe that Lucario has issues with Tlink, Wolf, and to a lesser extent Lucas

But then again i'm not a competent Lucario main

Milln

Smash Champion
I generally avoid tier discussion, but I have to say something about this:

You're naming things about those characters that make them special and saying that it's an advantage to the point that it makes them better than every other character. I must say that this is ignorant.

Deeds' chaingrabs only work on a few characters from what I hear and also requires precision. Toon Link's bair... why? Because it combos? Tch. Almost everything Lucario does combos, and he has projectiles, as well. Granted, not THREE, but he still has them. Saying "Wolf in general" is a silly statement. Wolf is a character, just like anyone else, and once you get a feel for their moves, that's when you understand your opponent, which enables victory. I personally have no trouble against Wolf players, no matter who I happen to be using. Of course this must mean i'm playing horrible Wolves, right? Tch.

Lucario is fantastic. Disjointed hitboxes, combos, throws that can lead to combos, great projectile, increased knockback dealt the more damage he takes, RIDICULOUS mind games and the ability to change playstyles immediately, causing the opponent to be constantly on their toes. Can camp, has a fast roll, superior range, has a counter that kills reliably... oh. Don't forget an all-range KO through Aura Sphere.

He's definitely mid tier at the VERY LEAST. My personal conjecture is High or Top.

coolguy75

Smash Cadet
Sorry about my misguided ideas about the matchups I probably just need to work harder and practice more

DDD's chaingrab is a dthrow to chase to dthrow that works on many characters. I think you may have it confused by the DDD infinite which is either 3 or 4 characters depending on who you talk to

And i was just hoping to throw in my two cents on how a Lucario player places Lucario, but i think my opinion must be misplaced and i'm just playing a bad Lucario (my brother plays Lucario as well)

Browny

Smash Hater
meh on topic, id say he will end up high at least.

He takes a lot more skill than the likes of marth, olimar and wolf, you cant simply spam your way into top tier (well i think i contradict myself there...) but i believe lucario has no weak match ups. he outranges almost everyone, is heavy enough and aura spehre beyond about 90% is amazingly powerful

Extremeonspeed

Smash Rookie
Lucario does fall slowly normally, but i found that if you neutral air (you cant attack again in midair) you can force lucario down faster. I was just playing around training so i don't know if thats old (or practical) or not. You can also use extreme speed while midair and force lucario downward, but there is still the lag in the beginning. i'm not sure if those make up for it, but i def thing nair is useful in that regard. anyway im not your greatest smash player, so im just working things out.

yeah i just like lucario, so what ever tier he is determined to be in i don't care. I'd prefer less people used him actually if you understand what i mean.

whisperingtears

Smash Apprentice
no lucario mainer is going to put him on the bottom, or on the top(out of humility) so whats the point? how many times do you want to hear mid tier?

Azuro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THTB614
Lucario doesn't have the tools to make it to top tier, but he's definitely competent enough to be well above bottom and low tier. The trouble is where he stands with those places eliminated. Personally, probably the bottom of high tier.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
I don't play Lucario, but my brother does, Lucario is good, but he is probably Mid Mid tier.

Barret3B

Smash Cadet
I generally avoid tier discussion, but I have to say something about this:

You're naming things about those characters that make them special and saying that it's an advantage to the point that it makes them better than every other character. I must say that this is ignorant.

Deeds' chaingrabs only work on a few characters from what I hear and also requires precision. Toon Link's bair... why? Because it combos? Tch. Almost everything Lucario does combos, and he has projectiles, as well. Granted, not THREE, but he still has them. Saying "Wolf in general" is a silly statement. Wolf is a character, just like anyone else, and once you get a feel for their moves, that's when you understand your opponent, which enables victory. I personally have no trouble against Wolf players, no matter who I happen to be using. Of course this must mean i'm playing horrible Wolves, right? Tch.

Lucario is fantastic. Disjointed hitboxes, combos, throws that can lead to combos, great projectile, increased knockback dealt the more damage he takes, RIDICULOUS mind games and the ability to change playstyles immediately, causing the opponent to be constantly on their toes. Can camp, has a fast roll, superior range, has a counter that kills reliably... oh. Don't forget an all-range KO through Aura Sphere.

He's definitely mid tier at the VERY LEAST. My personal conjecture is High or Top.
Actually DDDs chain works on most characters who aren't too small, even Lucario. And DDD is also floaty enough to get out of Lucario's chain grab early, at like 30%...

Other than that though I agree, Lucario is the coolest thing in this game. I'd say top of mid myself.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is my third best character behind mario and olimer. I havnt been using him often due to those space animals witch I just cant beat with lucario.

Azuro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THTB614
Lucario seems like bottom of high tier. He has nice matchups, due to his close combat range, his ability to combo, as well as the ability kill early through edgeguarding. He's also got nice tilts and aerials, and a nice chain grab. His glaring weaknesses are his easily gimped recovery, his slow smashes, and his being fairly weak at low percents. The recovery has good distance on it, but being easily gimped kills it, and drops him significantly.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Lucario has a nice move set, and can have pretty good matchups, but I tend to think he lacks in speed. I love the size of his hit box. I would probably place him upper-mid to low-high.

Browny

Smash Hater
i think lucario will be hurt on the tier lists due the the fact he doesnt has an insta-cheap move like the rest of the top-tier cast (snakes uptilt, MK's shuttle loop, pits arrows, robs recovery)

Personally i havent lost a single 1vs1 yet with lucario and ive played againt marths, wolf, lucas' and metaknights. i believe lucario has fantastic matchups against every single character and aura sphere alone has got to be worth high tier, imo the best projectile behind dins fire. however i dont think he is popular enough such that many people will actually bother to use him in a tournament, not when characters like toon link and wolf are available. i guess this really applies to every character who is percieved as bottom tier at the moment, but if tiers were based on matchups, id have no second thoughts chucking lucario in top tier, id only put marth and snake higher

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
If his upB could attack you, and if his double team were faster, he'd no doubt be high-top tier. But because of these things, coupled with his ranged but slow smashes...i'd have to say the highest mid tier/scratching on the bottom of high tier

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
If his upB could attack you, and if his double team were faster, he'd no doubt be high-top tier. But because of these things, coupled with his ranged but slow smashes...i'd have to say the highest mid tier/scratching on the bottom of high tier
frankly i have no problem with double-team unless the opponent doesn't actually hit me (in which i have to stand the terribly slow cooldown), hardly ever the opponent manages to hit me before the counter actually falls in. you just need to learn to anticipate the attack, which isn't all THAT hard to do actually. practice makes perfect.
and regarding extremespeed, as I see it this is one of the best edgeguard-juker recovery move in the game. hell even if you're falling and the opponent is hoping to juggle you you can ES straight to the ground, avoiding his attack completely. if it could damage it would be GODLY but it's still a great recovery move. Sheik's upB also doesn't damage, and he's still good.

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
The only problems I really have with lucario atm are:
1) that his uB does no damage (although in most situations you are able to curve it around the stage or recover via wall cling.
2) He has some trouble KOing at low %'s (and by KOing I mean just 1shotting the person off the edge((he has no problem edge guarding and forcing them off at low%s)))

With all that aside, I still think that he is going to be high-mid at the very least and probably secure a safe spot in High tier mainly due to his range, combo ability and the fact that he is a potential powerhouse; especially against characters that lack killing moves (My friend who plays metaknight would consent to that).

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
The only problems I really have with lucario atm are:
1) that his uB does no damage (although in most situations you are able to curve it around the stage or recover via wall cling.
2) He has some trouble KOing at low %'s (and by KOing I mean just 1shotting the person off the edge((he has no problem edge guarding and forcing them off at low%s)))

With all that aside, I still think that he is going to be high-mid at the very least and probably secure a safe spot in High tier mainly due to his range, combo ability and the fact that he is a potential powerhouse; especially against characters that lack killing moves (My friend who plays metaknight would consent to that).
His up B not doing damage...if you NEED to get onto the ledge, you can usually fire off an aura sphere, then grab it as soon as they move to dodge it. (If you have a fully charged aura sphere, you can get an awesome KO this way!).

You can beat MetaKnight?! Share your secrets; MK's beat me a lot.

salaboB

Smash Champion
It's when you're below the edge and person guarding it that matters mostly =S
There's a recent thread about wall clinging when people were doing this, and it looked like most stages you could either wall jump or cling and then jump to get up and around someone trying to edgehog you. If they're just guarding from up top, extreme speed sweetspots so they won't have much luck hitting you anyway.

Top Bottom