• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When should I use Zelda's dair

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
I want to use it in my game more, i barely ever use it, a couple times when people are jumping back onto the stage from the ledge. But can you hit people on the ledge with it? I just need to know when is a good time to use it?

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
the most easiest way ive found to hit people hanging on the edge is to run off the stage then dj back toward the stage and dair instantly.

its a nice move if you can sweetspot it off the stage, but its not really a move you use often or anything. a couple times a match if that. never use it on a grounded opponent because it wont do much at all, except like 4% or something.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
It's worth going for as an edgeguard when your opponent is coming from below the stage line (usually when knocked off by a downsmash). Even if the sweetspot misses, it still knocks downward, often enough to kill.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Use it whenever the hell you want to. That's my opinion. Figure out every use for it, then decide when you should use it.

S2

Smash Lord
LOL Tsuteto, good advice.

But yeah, keep in mind

1.) Never use d-air against a grounded opponent. It will only sweetspot if the opponent is in the air.
2.) Not recommended to come down (recovering) and use it on an opponent who is waiting for you. Since its low priority until you get close enough to sweetspot. They are probably waiting to hit you with something that has more priority/range.

But yeah, its a great spike. Kind of hard to get down at first. Go ahead and learn how to do it, you might get yourself killed at first. But oh well, its part of the learning process. You'll get better by doing it.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
1.) Never use d-air against a grounded opponent. It will only sweetspot if the opponent is in the air.
On the contrary, as long as opportunity allows (rare, but sometimes) you can jump over, dair to make 'em flinch, and immediately land a sweetspotted bair.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
DAir on the smash stick is also a great way to create sudden downward momentum..
It can be useful as a return-to-the-ground move, and to throw off your opponents timing.

If you want to d-air smash stick without the sudden momentum, tilt the control-stick down at the same time as you smash stick down. If you do that zelda won't plummet when you preform a d-air

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
DAir on the smash stick is also a great way to create sudden downward momentum..
It can be useful as a return-to-the-ground move, and to throw off your opponents timing.

If you want to d-air smash stick without the sudden momentum, tilt the control-stick down at the same time as you smash stick down. If you do that zelda won't plummet when you preform a d-air
She always seems to have increased downward momentum when I use it...

I was testing it on a level of the Subspace emissary. The Swamp, I think. There's a room where there is a HUGE upward wind current blowing... so large in fact, that instead of falling, Zelda slowly rises.... except after she uses Dair. Whether it's on the C-Stick or Control Stick, the dair halts the rising motion, implying a bit of increased downward momentum.

Iris

Smash Ace
It's negligible momentum, really. If you use the C-stick for it you'll see that it's really not even that noticeable.

Luthien

Smash Ace
On the contrary, as long as opportunity allows (rare, but sometimes) you can jump over, dair to make 'em flinch, and immediately land a sweetspotted bair.
Yes and no.

While I agree with you in the sense that dair can be used on a grounded opponent effectively (and not just when short-hopped), I also agree with S2 in the sense that if your opponent is expecting it fast-thinking, or has a trace of talent, you are completely and totally screwed.

There are many times when I've tried to dair my opponent only to find them take the hit and immediately usmash/utilt, sending me to my death. Almost any opponent can punish a dair when they're grounded using a smash. And if a smash doesn't work, a tilt will (i.e. Ike).

If you know that your opponent can handle it, is at a low percent, or is a stock ahead, I wouldn't advise it... oh, screw this. Mindgames. If you think it'll work, use it.

Iris

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, add "while opponent is in water" for when to use Zelda's Dair. It'll kill pretty hard.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Dair is pretty usefull against Olimar. Olimar can try to juggle you, but if you stay directly above and come down, he'll have to choose Upair or upsmash. On either one, if you time it right you will sweet spot the pikmin. You won't hurt him, no, but you get to the ground safe.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
meteor smashing & home run contest
GG BOYZ

But seriously, I saw a vid where Zelda used an unsweetspotted dair against an Ike who had leapt at her, close to the ground, and it pushed the Ike aside long enough for her to regain her footing - it happened to lead into massive damage dealt to the Ike who thought Zelda's guard was down, too.

A sweetspot would have been recovered from in that position - Ike wouldn't even have left the standing animation.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Zelda's D-air is nothing special, it's mainly used as a spike.

Never, ever ever, use D-air on an opponent who is grounded, because it will NOT sweet spot.

Zelda's D-air is almost a guaranteed Sweet spot/spike, if you use it right.

It's also risky, especially if you use it in the air while off stage.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Read other posts Kaffei. You'll see that people have stated that plenty of times already.

Still, comes down to when you feel like it.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
K so best time to use it ever: When you're in the water.

I suck at it. But if you're good at it, stages like Delfino or Pirate Ship are easy peasy.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Read other posts Kaffei. You'll see that people have stated that plenty of times already.

Still, comes down to when you feel like it.
Haha, I know. I just felt like getting it off my chest. :p

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
If the opponent has somewhat high or medium damage you could use it even if they're grounded because they'll be sent up so you could follow with U-tilt or Up-air also like Ztarfish mentioned its a guaranteed KO if it sweetspots in the water another way is also if they have average damage use d-tilt then short hop Dair and if you´re fast enough you could follow with D-smash it works best near edges so the horizontal knockback from D-smash gets them KO'ed

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
well i casn only tell u to not be afraid to use it because zeldas recovery is pretty good when you are NOT under the stage(i hate FD) so this means that you can do it to an opponement who is realy far.
Btw i dont know why but i recently started using it more than before

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Some characters just aren't very vulnerable to it Marth for example. Some are.. like DK. just get a feel for that first.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I've found that dair is incredible against some set-trajectory recoveries. For example, from the moment Kirby initiates his Cutter, he has told the world when he is going to be at a certain altitude, so you can time it and hit him every time, unless his horizontal influence on the move is not what you expected. So try some dair against moves like that. Maybe if i get real pro i can start hitting game and watch. (it'd probably be a trade though)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
DDDis an easy target if he lets himself get too low.... but, then, he's an easy target for any lighting kick most of the time.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Now that I've used Dair so much times, I'd say that you should never use you unless you're positive your opponent will get hit unsweetspotted or sweetspotted.

Arean

Smash Ace
I use it based on my instinct, If I ever have this feeling that it will hit, I go and try for the sake of it. Just keep on using this during game play and it will become second nature.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Now that I've used Dair so much times, I'd say that you should never use you unless you're positive your opponent will get hit unsweetspotted or sweetspotted.
I strongly disagree with that.

I use all the time high up in the air, to hit hypathetical opponents.
For instance say I'm fighting a Samus that i think will Screw attack me.
As i'm high in the air, i fall. Then i try to time out the location Samus would be if she double jumped and screw attacked as quickly as possible to come hit me.
Then, before Samus actually shows any sign of wanting to do that, I dair the spot she'd be at.

If she does do it, i sweetspot, or at least sourspot (i don't actually know the priority for samus). If she doesn't do all that, then I'm completely safe, because she's not going to be anywhere near me.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I strongly disagree with that.
I use all the time high up in the air, to hit hypathetical opponents.
For instance say I'm fighting a Samus that i think will Screw attack me.
As i'm high in the air, i fall. Then i try to time out the location Samus would be if she double jumped and screw attacked as quickly as possible to come hit me.
Then, before Samus actually shows any sign of wanting to do that, I dair the spot she'd be at.

If she does do it, i sweetspot, or at least sourspot (i don't actually know the priority for samus). If she doesn't do all that, then I'm completely safe, because she's not going to be anywhere near me.
This is an interesting mindgame, I want to add this.

If the opponent has somewhat high or medium damage you could use it even if they're grounded because they'll be sent up so you could follow with U-tilt or Up-air also like Ztarfish mentioned its a guaranteed KO if it sweetspots in the water another way is also if they have average damage use d-tilt then short hop Dair and if you´re fast enough you could follow with D-smash it works best near edges so the horizontal knockback from D-smash gets them KO'ed
Certain that they'll be hit up? I've had it work against me but stringing a D-tilt like how you mention sounds awesome! This I have to practice!

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
Certain that they'll be hit up? I've had it work against me but stringing a D-tilt like how you mention sounds awesome! This I have to practice!
When you hit a grounded enemy with Dair, there are 4 possibilities:

1.- They'll Flinch.

2.- They'll try to jump at you, even if they move 1 centimeter from the floor, you 'll have the option to sweetspot. This means that the sweespot can hit at the startup animation of a jump.

3.- If they're around 60% or 70%, they'll trip, they won't trip to either side, but trip in the place where they are.

4.- If they're around 80% or higher, they'll be sent up, allowing to follow up with another move.

And yes, in damages around 60 % or higher, doing a down tilt strongly ( that means tapping the D-tilt as if it was a smash attack) will pop enemies upwards, then shorthop a Dair will, in most cases, cause a sweetspot. :bee:

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I'm still practicing, but I think it looks totally sweet to jump off the edge, align yourself horizontally, FW into the opponent, slightly to the farther side of them, so they get knocked off the edge when they try to edgeguard, then fall after them and d-air sweetspot.

Like many people will tell you, you have to catch them unexpected. If you practice your 16-directions, you can do this from the air, so they don't really see it coming, they'll probably think you're going for the ledge. Don't do this too often, though. The key to a fantastic player is unpredictability, imo.

Alternatively, you can just distance yourself, and just FW into them (maybe a few mindgames before hand to confuse them) from the stage.

Another method, is to just lure them to the edge, dodge, Dsmash and go after them in the same kinda way.

Basically, if you can arrange it so that they have to come up to the stage, it is easier to dair them, since they're coming into your foot. Just make sure you don't underestimate their recoveries.

Top Bottom