• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

when is the best time for spinning kong?

kong_korps

Smash Apprentice
i am a pretty good dk, but im just no sure when is the best time to do a grounded up b. i never thought it was useful, like i knew about its SA but i just never put that in play, after seeing some videos today i saw a lot of spinning kongs (lawl) so any advice for some good timing? thx in advance

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
using it out of shield is probably the best time to use it, but its a great approach if you substitute it for a f tilt or dash grab

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah I use it a lot like a dash attack for approaching, or out of shield.
It's great because if they try to block it, it usually does enough damage to their shield to still hit them. The only way for them to avoid it is if they see it coming and roll backwards (or jump).

Try to time it so when you dash at them, the attacking frames (or super armor frames) start as soon as you get close enough to hit them. If you do it too early (or if you do it too much and get predictable), they can see it coming and roll out of the way and punish you.

Tujex

Smash Ace
2:47 on tuesdays
Rofl

No wonder why I kept messing it up, I always did it on 3:25 on Thursdays.

Out of shield up-b is god-like.
Rofl/agree'd

The best time to use Spinning Kong, is all the time. One with super armor, that's the kind.
Lmao, god-like quotations make me rofl.

But yeah, UpB as an approach is great because of Super Armor and the fact that it clashes with or simply rips through a lot that's thrown at it. That, plus it does like 30+ when they get caught from start to finish. AND, it pokes through shields.

kong_korps

Smash Apprentice
that made me lol

but anyway im guessing out of a shield would be best
so thanks a lot guys for replying

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Super Armor can make this a good approach against a lot of projectile spammers, too, if you get the timing right.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Nothing better than watching your opponents face when you SA through a kill move and sodomize their character with your massive fists "Pride and Oppression"

Mith_

Smash Champion
I think that it is heavy armor, not super armor. SO it can make it thru some attacks, like jabs and weak smashes, but it wont stop an aura sphere.

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah, I just trucked through some fully charged aura spheres when DK and Lucario were both at over 250%.
If that's not super armor, I don't know what is. lol

It'll get you through anything.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Oh ok. I figured it was a different type of armor since I would always get hit with an attack while im doing it lol.

magikguy

Smash Lord
i use this move alot more in doubles when it's a 2 vs 1 situation where i need to get my spacing , spinning kong and down b are my friends

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Use it like Bowser's up B, except ours is better.
It has to be a bit more preemptive than Fortress, I think. It can be used out of shield, but it generally has to be on laggier moves. If you want to do it on something fast, predict the move, and use the SA to launch a preemptive counterattack.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
Oh ok. I figured it was a different type of armor since I would always get hit with an attack while im doing it lol.
yeah there is no super armor when he's actually spinning, its during certain frames in the windup for it

Tujex

Smash Ace
When he pulls his arms back to spin I believe. After those frames, the SA where's off and you're surrounded by a hitbox that clashes with a lot of stuff. All around its just a fairly good manuever.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I love when the opponent runs after you thinking your going to have landing lag only to find themselves with a face full of DONKEY! :)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
When MK spams his F-air and B-air, let it hit your armor frames at the beginning of your up-B and when he's vulnerable rack up the damage.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Bowsers upB OoS is way better than DKs =/

DKs is really slow and not so strong (knockback wise). DK also can't move back during it. This is the worst difference of them.
With Bowser you can move forward to hit/follow your enemy and then move back so you won't be punished, but DK can only move forward and that really sucks...

DUB

Smash Lord

DKs is really slow and not so strong (knockback wise). DK also can't move back during it. This is the worst difference of them.
With Bowser you can move forward to hit/follow your enemy and then move back so you won't be punished, but DK can only move forward and that really sucks...

No.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace

eh, i'd rather the damage that DK gives over knockback, its not designed to be a kill move
so if you hit with every hitbox you can do somewhere between 30 and 40%! and one other thing that bowser's up b doesnt have is the multiple hit boxes (when its grounded) so it cant eat shields like DK's can

i'd take DK's upb over bowser's any day

Tujex

Smash Ace
Bowser's is more of a spacing move if anything. IT allows him pretty swift forward and backward movement which is superior to his normal running speed, and has decent knockback to get an opponent off you.

Dk's UpB is a **** move intended to molest anyone who dares to be foolish enough to strike your shield and stand nearby afterwards. It allows you to chase down and crush anyone who tries to run away, or laugh in their faces when they try to roll behind you. Not to mention shielding it is almost out of the question. It eats most shield about 1/2 to 3/4 through if it hits correctly, meaning a SideB afterwards will almost surely break it.

Luigi player

Smash Master

No.
Yes.

eh, i'd rather the damage that DK gives over knockback, its not designed to be a kill move
so if you hit with every hitbox you can do somewhere between 30 and 40%! and one other thing that bowser's up b doesnt have is the multiple hit boxes (when its grounded) so it cant eat shields like DK's can

i'd take DK's upb over bowser's any day
I wouldn't. Bowsers upB isn't that much of a kill move either.
It won't happen often that you'll hit with every hitbox of DKs upB if your enemy knows what DI and SDI is. I usually only hit my enemies a few times.
What DK has over Bowsers upB is that you can't grab him out of it... and it could do more damage. Bowsers upB does 16 and later only about 10 damage. Bowsers upB is like a better roll than everything and imo the best gtfo move. (or at least one of them)

If your enemy is near your shield you can just upB with Bowser. If you do that with DK you most likely will get hit out of it, because it has such a big startup time...
DKs SA doesn't help that much either. Yeah it's nice every now and then but it won't happen often. The SA starts later too, so most of the time I get hit out of it before the SA starts or after the SA ended and the attack started.

Bowser's is more of a spacing move if anything. IT allows him pretty swift forward and backward movement which is superior to his normal running speed, and has decent knockback to get an opponent off you.

Dk's UpB is a **** move intended to molest anyone who dares to be foolish enough to strike your shield and stand nearby afterwards. It allows you to chase down and crush anyone who tries to run away, or laugh in their faces when they try to roll behind you. Not to mention shielding it is almost out of the question. It eats most shield about 1/2 to 3/4 through if it hits correctly, meaning a SideB afterwards will almost surely break it.
Well if my opponent stands near my shield he can just grab me out of it. And if he's a bit further away so he can't grab he might just try to attack me. Why would he wait for the upB to hit him? It's really ****ing slow...
It crushes everyone who tries to run away? What if they jump behind you? >_> Besides, you aren't that fast during it...
If their shield is damaged that much the enemy will most likely just run away a bit and dodges much to save some time for it to restore... if my enemy has that of a little shield it just means that I can ftilt them a bit (~1-3 times), but nothing more...
This is also the same with the side B.... yeah it's nice, the shield of your enemy is so small now... but what then? He just tries to run away and you can't really do much about it...

Luigi player

Smash Master
Hm I guess I made his grounded upB worse than it is. It's really useful and you can use if pretty often.

Since you can't get grabbed out of it I even think now that it might be a bit better than Bowsers...

Mith_

Smash Champion
After testing I give this move a 10/10.

It's lack of knockback at low percentages allows you to rack up damage, and it eats shields like no other.

You can moe backwards if you screw the move up too, just not as easy as bowser.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If you space this move right you can usually shield poke before it ends. If they are shielding use this move to keep hitting them at max range to prevent shield grabbing. I think it pokes better too if you don't keep moving toward them. This move can do more damage then normal if you have someone stuck in the aerial version and then land changing it into the grounded version. I've done damage in the 40% range on Yoshi's Island like this before.

Top Bottom