• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When is it time to give up?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I guess I'm late with advice, but the tier list is an effective place to start in terms of mental resources necessary in order to win. If your mains under your avatar are accurate, you're playing characters that require specific playstyles and knowledge in order to do well. Especially against stronger characters.

As for the things you mentioned in your OP... a lot of those things can easily be unhelpful. Many people won't know your character as well as they should when they give you advice. And honestly, one of the biggest parts of improving will be getting into the appropriate mindset for your character. Some people just have "it." For the rest of us it takes work - legitimate, directed, work. Playing 4 billion matches on For Glory is irrelevant without direction.

Astral |Hunk

Smash Rookie
NNID
supapowaz
I know im a little late, but i saw a couple of posts for people wondering if they could get a mentor. I've been doing this for a while on my stream and now upon the request of some of my regulars and close friends i decided to move my services here. I've always enjoyed helping out fledgling players and i charge nothing ATM and i don't intend to for long time. feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Also, my twitch should be in my bio if not just message me.

SlickJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlickJ95
I can relate to this, my overall win rate is about 40% on For Glory, partly because I try a lot of random characters I don't know how to use and I consider myself a scrub that is above average skill level of most Super Smash Bros. for Wii U players but that's not good enough. I also occasionally get compliments about how much better I have gotten when I replay skilled players in the Discords that I'm in.

Most of the time I compete in tournaments (mostly online but occasionally offline tourneys as well) I usually get eliminated instantly and it can be discouraging to want to continue playing a game in which other people are more skilled then you and it seems you're not going to catch up.

Smash can get frustrating and a lot of times a lot of people feel like quitting, what I end finding is people that care about Smash 4 never really "quit", they stick around to at least just chat with others. There's very few people I know that actually have quit because they want to move on with their life to do other things entirely and even then at least one of them still come back to check in and see how everyone is doing.

You have to keep in mind that even the best players in the world feel this way too.

What I do about this
What I personally do is I take breaks when I have consistently lost a lot of matches within extended periods of time. I stop playing Smash for a while. The reason I do this is because I find playing Smash to be like any other creative medium, such as drawing, developing games, using Photoshop, or anything that can be tedious or time consuming. Sometimes I feel the need to take a step back, do something else so that when I get back to it I look at Smash with a new pair of eyes. If I were to continue playing after long losing streaks I feel that I would likely continue losing because I would keep using the same moves and similar habits that I have been using in previous matches.

The reason I never officially quit playing Smash Bros. is for two reasons. The first reason is I'm a social player, I like playing Smash Bros. to talk to others as opposed to being the best or exploring the game at the greatest depth possible because in my opinion those two things can be stressful, so with social player I feel I don't have to worry about being the most knowledgeable or being the very best and therefore I always have a reason to stick around. The second reason is because I try or I try to try my very best in every match that I play, especially when playing other players I respect because it feels great to know that I gave skilled players that I recognize a challenge. Every once in a while I feel like I will go Super Saiyan, be in the zone and play much better than usual and even if I don't win it feels great to feel these small burst of energy that help me focus and help me make smarter choices or pull off riskier options with ease.

Knowledge is useless
Also I believe in one core thing that is really true universally across anything you're trying to get good at. Practice, practice, practice. In my opinion all the YouTube videos, all the informative posts, the frame data, maybe even coaching and anything thing that can give you an edge in knowledge is useless if you don't apply it or don't know how to use it. Personally for me (I'm not saying this will apply to you) I feel like being more knowledgeable in Smash isn't going to help me improve, I don't 100% disregard it but it's not at the top of my priorities when trying to get better at Smash. In my opinion it's much better to take things out in the battlefield as opposed to trying to gain all the knowledge about Smash in the world, of course being knowledgeable and knowing how to apply the said knowledge it is the sweet spot but not everyone can use experience and knowledge and merge them for better game play.

SSBBorn

Smash Rookie
Never.

I understand where you're coming from. You devote hour upon hours... and for what? I know the feeling. I've been there. I'm sure everyone has. I know this may sound cliche, but don't give up. Keep practicing. Don't be afraid to mix things up and experiment. There's no rush. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I think we all get so caught up in watching top players and consequently raise the expectations for ourselves unreasonably. We have to remember that they're top players for a reason. It takes time, perseverance, and the right mentality to improve.

Above all, make sure to have fun! That's what it's ALL about.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
1st, if you play competitively then you're doing it wrong. Sm4sh isn't competitive (don't ask). Sure, everyone could just use the same top tier characters, but that's boring.

2nd, if you lose in For Glory, just blame the lag. Seriously, the lag kills me more than anything. Perhaps it's different on Wii U... (though I think you need a special cable)

3rd, what character are you using? If you main Roy in the pay2win fest that is For Glory then I'd expect you to lose almost all your games even if you're decent. He's surprisingly bad, though not bottom tier...

ThisIsntNotMetal

Banned via Warnings
NNID
metal00111
i played a ton of friendlies at king of the springs this past saturday and did pretty well but now im having a hard time on for glory, sometimes i think for glory can go either way in terms of improving depending if you get locked in "for glory hell" where you consistently play against bad players or players with bad attitudes

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
If you are thinking of quitting seek a mentor that is a good player. Like someone that is at least PR level or well known for their knowledge in the Smash community.

For Glory is only good if you play against PR level players and if you can... Play as much as you can with them and don't be discouraged by losing. There is a rubber band effect when you seriously try to get help from good players. You will get a lot better yourself if you are serious.

If you ask 50 pro players and 49 say no, but 1 says yes... You hit the jackpot.

Top Bottom