• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When is it time to give up?

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
I bought this game the very day it released on both Wii U and 3ds. I've played the game consistently since it came out. I'm terrible at it. My current FG winrate over the last 100 games is 33%, my total winrate is 45%.

-I've joined smash boards and have been lurking for a long time
-I watch every smash 4 major, as well as tons of minors
-I've read every guide I could find with the characters I use
-I've joined character relevant discords/skype groups to discuss the game with others
-I watch a lot of smash youtubers that are supposedly meant to give good advice and help you improve
-I've gone to locals, not a lot, but I go whenever I can. I've gone to more than a handful of them so it isn't anything new to me, it isn't something I have not tried.
-I ask people at locals for advice, I ask top players for advice when they stream, I am constantly playing with and against people better than me

I'm still terrible. After over 10k games played and hundreds of hours spent on this game. Most of the people on For Glory kick my ass, and For Glory is literally what people joke about when they talk about ****ty players, and after doing literally everything I can think to do to improve, I still get my ass kicked there. My win rate for the last 50 games I played is like 25% or something awful like that. The last local I went to I didn't even beat a single person. I lost my first round and then immediately lost in losers bracket. The most people I've ever beaten in a local is two. And one of the people that day was a Dedede.

Is anyone else in my position? Has anyone else given up? Should I just throw in the towel at this point? The game is honestly making me more upset than I'd like to admit. Its obviously a hobby that I care about.

I'm honestly not really looking for advice on improving. I seriously feel as if I've done everything possible to do that. I've put in the time, effort, research, practice, everything. And casual players still completely **** on me. My purpose in creating this thread is just to blow off steam, and see if anyone else can relate.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Take time away from this thing. That's my two cents. Seriously, it's time to take a step back. I personally hate this game sometimes, and that's perfectly healthy. It's a huge investment with little game.
As for FG, it doesn’t matter, since you really can't gauge your skill off of its inconsistencies.

Notice something about all those casuals? They're having fun. They're laughing at themselves and you. Just remember, smash is pretty much a party game people turned into a competitve game when they got bored.

Sometimes, you just have to laugh at yourself. It really helps.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Hey bro, I know where are you going with this. You want to get good on a game that is competitive or just competitive potential like Smash Bros, Splatoon, LoL, Overwatch etc. But you never really feel getting good right? Trying to get good is like climbing a mountain, whenever you get better you will always end up finding out how weak you still are.

But you should also take some sec to think why do you play this game. Do you simply play this game for fun? Or because you love this game? Or you just play this game because of it's competitive scene?

-I've joined character relevant discords/skype groups to discuss the game with others
-I watch a lot of smash youtubers that are supposedly meant to give good advice and help you improve
-I've gone to locals, not a lot, but I go whenever I can. I've gone to more than a handful of them so it isn't anything new to me, it isn't something I have not tried.
-I ask people at locals for advice, I ask top players for advice when they stream, I am constantly playing with and against people better than me
-Well, yeah, but by joining you still only like over a year... I'm not sure how long you had known this thread.
-So am I, however, despite there are many guides in this website. And there are good ones. They can only be considered as reference. You still have to play the game in order to get the full use of those guides.
-Me too, but I don't really discuss much. Simply because of time constraints. By the way, not all people are friendly online. Some may be bullies.
-I had sub tons of Smash Bros related channel right off I started using my Youtube channel frequently (Around early 2013). Even more when Smash 4 announced. I usually balance the view between tip videos and entertainment videos about Smash Bros. Hell, I already saw many good videos about Smash that help me overcome things like "how to get good", "Dealing with toxtic players,trolls", etc...
-Well, it's only recently I found out my country does have a decent Smash locals. But it's in Taipei, of of Taiwan's largest city. But then again I don't really have the time to go there and play Smash.

Hell, I actually found myself having a terrible temper when it comes to losing in video games. I easily become salty in almost any video games. Yes I do have times I feel a bit ill-will towards those games I love and enjoy. Nevertheless, after a while I still love those game and I will continue to play it and "try" to play good, also not forgetting to "enjoy" it. Maybe you are just like me who really hates losing especially in videos game. Once again I am like that too. But I will never give up on the game/series I love.
Take time away from this thing. That's my two cents. Seriously, it's time to take a step back. I personally hate this game sometimes, and that's perfectly healthy. It's a huge investment with little game.
As for FG, it doesn’t matter, since you really can't gauge your skill off of its inconsistencies.

Notice something about all those casuals? They're having fun. They're laughing at themselves and you. Just remember, smash is pretty much a party game people turned into a competitive game when they got bored.

Sometimes, you just have to laugh at yourself. It really helps.
Nice tip you got there. However, I never really "hate" Smash whenever I feel I am suck at Smash. "Hate" technically is a very radical term to describe your dislike very strongly (According to the Webster dictionary). Of course I do believe you aren't really mean you "hate" Smash Bros. You might just only show a minor ill-will to this game. Or to me, even just a certain character. Like how people rails at the top tier characters. You solution is good though. Just take a break from this game and perhaps go play other games or modes that can release your temper (I don't really know if there are any games like that...)

Sometimes even pros play Smash4 casually despite they are playing competitively. Which means they never really take losing that much of a big deal. Especially when they play with their friends or other pros.

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I just got beat by a Ganondorf on Anther's. He asked me if I just got the game. To say the least, you guys have it pretty easy in my book.

I don’t even have a main, and probably never will at this point. I tried literally every character I'd possible ever want to play. None of them work.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I just got beat by a Ganondorf on Anther's. He asked me if I just got the game. To say the least, you guys have it pretty easy in my book.

I don’t even have a main, and probably never will at this point. I tried literally every character I'd possible ever want to play. None of them work.
I just pick characters I like. Mario, Cloud, Rosalina are the character I like the most and I eventually played well with each of them sometime.

Nah

Smash Champion
It's not so much that you do these things that help you improve, but how you do them. It's not enough to just randomly do it and expect huge results. Like I can practice just doing B-reversing in training mode all day, but it won't matter in the slightest if I don't try to do it in an actual fight and apply it correctly. It's the same for all the things you've listed in the OP really.

What do you do exactly when you watch high-level footage or read guides, and how do you try to incorporate the things you see/read into your own gameplay? When you ask for advice, how do you plan to make the most of it? When you fight against other people in bracket or online, how do you try to get things out of it and make it part of your play?

Now unfortunately I am not able to tell you how specifically to going about doing these things; if I knew myself, I'd be a lot better than I currently am (read: I don't think I'm any good really).

One other thing to try that you haven't yet is to get a tutor/sparring partner. Someone you can regularly play against and get feedback from, and can work directly and intensively with you. It's different from fighting people at a tournament because of the level of consistency it brings. You're always fighting someone of a certain level rather than of varying skill levels (this is FG's biggest failing by far, the lack of any real matchmaking at all) and can always get advice from them, and also have them work with you to work on said advice/feedback rather than having to do it all by yourself.

It's something I kinda wish I could have really.

As a side note, I tend to ignore people who're ***** to me online after matches. It's kinda like, if yer gonna be an asshole to me over something like this then you're even more worthless than I am.

Fabulous Falcon

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the impending wall of text but I think it might be necessary to explain,

The first thing you have to keep in mind is whether or not you're actually having fun. Even competitive smash for all purposes is a game. This is why I usually recommend people play a character that they like playing rather than just looking at a tier list to choose a character. If you're not having fun playing competitively then I probably wouldn't go forward until you start having fun.

Keep in mind no one becomes a really good smash player overnight. Losing isn't a bad thing a majority of the time, you just have to make sure that you don't get frustrated and you should use it as a learning experience. Smash takes a ton of practice generally and you need to make sure you practice with other people regularly. The best form of practice, I find, is with someone with a similar skill level or slightly higher than yours. Also you shouldn't practice in environments with lag like online modes really.

Second thing is that you may want to examine why you are losing. What is the other person doing that you're having trouble dealing with and how can you get around it? Like all other competitive sports, your opponents are human. Therefore they have patterns that can be exploited. The same goes for the characters themselves. All of the characters have limitations and certain archetypes they fit into. Knowing what each character relies on in order to win can be very beneficial. You don't need to jump like headfirst into memorizing frame data or anything, but understanding what your opponent's options are is something that helps going ahead. Afterward you need to look at your character's options and figure out what you can do in certain situations. Even in a lesser balanced smash game you can throw off your opponent if you know more about their options than they know about your character's.

For example, in melee, a lot of Marth players that can't power shield well tend to struggle with projectile characters forcing them to approach. As a Marth main myself, that doesn't like playing the ditto match up too much, I switch to my original main, Link, who I have much more experience playing and I usually manage to clutch out the win like 65% of the time. That's because I know Marth's options well enough to be able to exploit them. Marth only has two really safe options for dealing with projectiles when he tries to approach and those are power shielding and utilizing platforms. If they can't power shield then they'll have to approach with aerials, which you can shield and punish because of Link's grab and up special out of shield.

Finally, for glory and how often you lose on for glory aren't very good indications of skill at all. This primarily isn't because of the people on for glory, it's because of for glory itself. There's far too much lag usually to the point where you have severely less safe options. If you're practicing, you want to do so locally with a friend to play against rather than on the internet.

Hope this helps man, and best of luck to you.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
If I were you I would seek out a mentor. Find a good player and ask if you can be their student. Play with them a lot.

My student went from like never beating me to beating me about 1 in 3 games now. I by no means consider myself a great Smasher, but my student's improvement is very noticeable.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
If I were you I would seek out a mentor. Find a good player and ask if you can be their student. Play with them a lot.

My student went from like never beating me to beating me about 1 in 3 games now. I by no means consider myself a great Smasher, but my student's improvement is very noticeable.
Where do you find people like this? I've never found anyone that does anything remotely close to that.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Where do you find people like this? I've never found anyone that does anything remotely close to that.
It honestly doesn't have to be a mentor, specifically, just a friend or acquaintance who's willing to help you get better.

While I like For Glory for what it is, it's better to play with people you can actually communicate with, so they can give you pointers, information, and advice. Plus, it's just more fun that way.

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
Well, thank all of you guys for replies. About a sparring partner or a tutor, I don't have one. I don't have any friends that play this game, its basically just me playing For Glory to practice for my locals. Does anyone here want to play with me?

Uffe

Smash Hero
You're looking at numbers, which is not boosting up your morale, which is making you upset, which is not making this game fun for you to enjoy, thus, possibly stunting your growth to become a better player. Joining Smashboards, Discords, Skype, watching Smash 4 majors, and reading guides all just tell you and show you how you should use your character and how to deal with match ups. Reading material is easier said then done, and watching matches doesn't suddenly make you have the ability to do what pros do. Hours of practice should be helping you, but only if you're choosing to learn, otherwise, you're just going in and making attempts to win matches and get nothing out of it except happiness.

For Glory isn't a good way to practice. You're honestly better going to locals and spending hours upon hours of however long you can trying to learn match ups, asking for advice, and having people point out flaws you probably don't know you have. You might be predictable as a player and can't figure out other options, which is probably what's causing you to lose. But going back to For Glory, there are good players on there. More often than not, bad players come on, but don't think because you're playing in For Glory that every person you're fighting is some casual who dominates you without having to try. Have you considered saving your replays and looking them over? If you're not losing, you're not learning. And if you're not learning, then you're not growing. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, pick up that damn controller, be more patient and see what your opponents are doing so that you can win. It may take you four months or a year to finally get to getting good, but if that's how much effort you have to put in, then do it. We don't all have the luxury of naturally being good at this game.

As Stephen G. Weinbaum once said, “If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort."

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
you don't need much to get better. Just do this:

Do. Not. Get. Angry.

1. Destroy lvl 3s to get some fluidity with your character. This is crucial. You have to get good feeling with your character in order to perform well.
2. Fight tons of battles online, whether it's FG, anthers laser, discords, etc...
3. Record all your losses.
4. Think about why you're losing neutral, why you died, why you're taking lots of percent, and find answers for all of these problems. Experiment to find them.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'm a pretty strong local with lots of wins over PR'd players. FG winrate is around 80%. Let me just tell you that the difference between us is nothing.

I get just as disgusted with the game and sometimes even myself. It's crazy to me that I've beaten such great players, yet I'll run into some schmuck online who just spams dragon lunge, afterburner kick, etc, and actually struggle.

Obviously the users here are biased and don't want to admit it, but Smash isn't a competitively balanced game by any stretch of the imagination. The more you try to treat it that way, the less you'll enjoy it. The best thing you can do is find a group that will enjoy the game for what it is. Play FFA. Use items. Come up with your own crazy modes using equipment. Smash is so much bigger than the 1v1 no items Fox only Final Destination mentality that Melee cursed us with.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm going to break this down for you.

I bought this game the very day it released on both Wii U and 3ds. I've played the game consistently since it came out. I'm terrible at it. My current FG winrate over the last 100 games is 33%, my total winrate is 45%.
And this matters because? If this is honestly a concern for you, then I recommend you take your next match if you lose, and save it if possible. What you can do is focus on what you did correctly and what you didn't do correctly. What you did correctly, write that down and add it to your mental toolbox. What you didn't do correctly, remind yourself you won't try that again. If you want to try something that caused you to get punished, find ways to use it appropriately to avoid or reduce punishment.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but being part of Smash Boards won't make you a good player. Using useful advice and strategies will.

Do you just watch, or do you focus on a character of your choice and try to see what that character is doing and why it's effective?

Good. Now put that to use.

Good. Put that to use, too.

They give advice. You need to figure out if that advice is applicable to you and your character(s).

Keep it up!

Good! Now try to make strategies that can help you become better than them.

I'm still terrible.
Get rid of that way of thinking. That is one thing that will be a game changer.

After over 10k games played and hundreds of hours spent on this game. Most of the people on For Glory kick my ***, and For Glory is literally what people joke about when they talk about ****ty players, and after doing literally everything I can think to do to improve, I still get my *** kicked there.
Who cares if other people joke about FG and say that's where ****ty players play? Are you a ****ty player, or a work in progress? Sure, you could quit if you wanted to, but that's not going to make you win, either.

My win rate for the last 50 games I played is like 25% or something awful like that.
If numbers really mean something to you, then change it. Don't complain about your win rate being in the ****ter. Just focus on learning new strategies.

The last local I went to I didn't even beat a single person. I lost my first round and then immediately lost in losers bracket. The most people I've ever beaten in a local is two. And one of the people that day was a Dedede.
That's a loss. It happens. Do you expect to always win? Even the best players lose. Focusing on your losses and complaining about them isn't going to improve your skill.

Is anyone else in my position? Has anyone else given up? Should I just throw in the towel at this point? The game is honestly making me more upset than I'd like to admit. Its obviously a hobby that I care about.

I'm honestly not really looking for advice on improving. I seriously feel as if I've done everything possible to do that. I've put in the time, effort, research, practice, everything. And casual players still completely **** on me. My purpose in creating this thread is just to blow off steam, and see if anyone else can relate.
I'm going to be upfront with you. We can all talk about how Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the worst Smash game in all of Smash history thus far, but listen to what I have to say. I started trying to be competitive when Melee was old and when Brawl was going to soon be released. I've never gone to a tournament myself, but I did some online tournaments if that counts. (My brother has gone to a couple and I played SSB4 for a while. I don't have a Wii U, but I'm sure I can get back into the game.) For me, Brawl was a hard time. I lost against a lot of people. When All is Brawl was in its glory, I would join the ladder, but I never got top 10. Sure, I suppose I didn't try as hard as I could looking back. Still, I had a mentality not much different from yours.

I mained Samus. I still do. In Brawl, she was garbage, but I didn't want to drop her because she's my favorite fictional character. Nevertheless, when I would get my ass handed to me, I would feel like ****. I would get discouraged and think I wasn't good at the game. I saw other Samus mains who performed so much better. Rohins, Xyro77, KingChaos. These players were better than me. Could I have gotten to their level? Damn straight I could have, but I didn't have the mentality that Xyro77 encouraged me to have. He worked for his wins, but I just didn't have it in me. I would get discouraged too easily. Before I wanted to quit Brawl, I first wanted to quit Samus. It happens, but a loss doesn't mean your life is over. It doesn't mean you can't play anymore. It just means you lost and now you have a way to find out why you lost.

Name one person who has never lost in SSB4. I'm willing to bet you can't. That's because everyone has lost. Does that stop them? For a few, sure. For the majority? Not even close. What you need to do is encourage yourself. Tell yourself that you can become good. If you lose, don't take it as a loss. Don't think, "I'm not good at this game." Think, "I lost, but that's only temporary." Tell yourself, "I'm going to become the best -insert main here- character, if not one of the best." Mentality plays a huge role. If you find yourself discouraged, then you're not going to perform well. When you start using your losses to correct the errors you made that led you to losing in the first place, you will improve. It isn't about luck or talent. **** those. It's about effort and strategies. If you quit, that's fine. I'm just going to remind you, quitters don't win and winners don't quit.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I'm a pretty strong local with lots of wins over PR'd players. FG winrate is around 80%. Let me just tell you that the difference between us is nothing.

I get just as disgusted with the game and sometimes even myself. It's crazy to me that I've beaten such great players, yet I'll run into some schmuck online who just spams dragon lunge, afterburner kick, etc, and actually struggle.

Obviously the users here are biased and don't want to admit it, but Smash isn't a competitively balanced game by any stretch of the imagination. The more you try to treat it that way, the less you'll enjoy it. The best thing you can do is find a group that will enjoy the game for what it is. Play FFA. Use items. Come up with your own crazy modes using equipment. Smash is so much bigger than the 1v1 no items Fox only Final Destination mentality that Melee cursed us with.
Isn't that quitting, tho?

FrostyLemon

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheFrostyLemon
Don't worry about For Glory. It's the only thing I use because I haven't got any friends who like playing together. It's full of lag, spammy crap that is easily exploited on the omega stages. You've probably lost about 5% from SDing through lag. I've stopped caring about it because if I come across someone better than me I'll keep playing them even if they beat me 10 times in a row. I could have given up after 2 and protected my stats.

The best thing I did was save my replays and watch myself. If I watch videos of me fighting six months ago I can see the improvement. It's very good for motivation. Identify your weaknesses and take action to solve them.

I posted my videos on here and everyone told me I was using quick draw too much to keep my opponent away. So I went away and stopped using it as a crutch and learnt to fast fall my fairs with Ike in trading mode. A whole hour or so just doing that move over and over again. That allowed me to space better.

Then I went to my first tourney a month ago. Got beat by everyone, no big deal. But I asked for help and a couple of guys told me that I need to work on retreating with my fairs so that I can stop being rushed and grabbed. So I went back to the training room and practiced retreating my short hopped fast falling fairs and that has stopped me getting grabbed so much.

Sometimes you got to work smart rather than work hard.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Isn't that quitting, tho?
It can be depending on the player. I say play the way that lets you have fun. I'm confident that I could get PR'd if I really wanted to, but I don't enjoy the tournament grind, so I won't. Instead, I prefer to load up Falcon with +200 attack equipment, gather a group of friends, and turn the lower half of Temple into a wall tech torture chamber. Laughing at an 80% falcon punch turning someone into a pinball feels better than winning a few lousy tournament bucks ever did.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I have similar problems too. I can never seem to get any better no matter what I do. I think it has to do with lack of options for me; I litertlatly only have for glory. Are you using other things than for glory. Because that would help, assuming you have other options in the first place.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I have similar problems too. I can never seem to get any better no matter what I do. I think it has to do with lack of options for me; I litertlatly only have for glory. Are you using other things than for glory. Because that would help, assuming you have other options in the first place.
I'd argue it's your character

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Friend codes or whatever they call it now are a pain in the ass. This game needed a lobby system.

R.F.

Smash Rookie
Well, you know what people say: when you find yourself stuck with no way out, return to the basics.

If you can't figure out, what's wrong with you and why you don't seem to get better, then maybe your fundamentals are still lacking and you might wanna work on that.

eldavo2090

Smash Rookie
NNID
eldavo2510
3DS FC
0791-3398-6999
Dude, i know that feel...
I think I'm also reaching a limit in how good i can be at this game, but you know what?
There are a lot of people that are naturally good at this game, people that determine the metagame and create the combos and all that stuff, but still, maybe them did not had to train as hard as you because they just were good at this, that means you will have to train harder, every lose is a chance to learn what are you lacking, every win means results of your training, there are going to be skilled people that will bully you and completely outmatch your skill, but that's part of it, you have to deal with that, you suck it up, redo your basics and go at it again!
If you play 100 matches and only win 25, thats 75 opportunities to learn what's wrong with your game!

Dude like i said, I'm on the same boat, and if you are feeling like that, maybe i am not good at the game, but at least i would like to help you improve and be your sparring partner, because if we train and help each other, maybe we can achieve great results, giving criticism and pointers on what to fix and what to change!

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
If you are struggling, seek a mentor. Look for players who are doing well, knowledgeable about the character you are interested in, and can explain what can be done to be successful. A mentoring program is nice, but if you really want to step up your game you are better off talking to the best.

Here are a few more tips to aid your search.
  1. Find out the top players for your character. If they say no to helping you then ask someone else.
  2. Use Smashboards, Discord of your character, etc.
  3. Generally people who have stickied or pinned posts of info of a character have a lot of knowledge of said character.
  4. Ask the Smashboards mod(s) or Discord admin(s) of your character if you don't know how to find people who are proficient with the character you want to get better with. Generally Google will turn up some answer within a minute or two of searching though.
  5. Look at PR lists.
  6. For Glory can be a mixed bag, sometimes I will run into people like JJrockets and other times I'll see people who will constantly Side B off the stage with Mac.
  7. Remember, why do you play this game...? Is it fun? If it isn't why are you playing?

Ælude

Smash Cadet
You should just give up. Not necessarily smash if you can get some actual enjoyment out of it but your mentality of how you approach it definitely.

This games been out for 2 years? Maybe that sounds like a reasonable amount of time to excel at something but I assure you its not. Keep in mind that most people who are good at this game were already good at it before it was even released. You thought you got a jump on the competition buying this game day 1? Dude, you were already behind.

I mean it with 0 offense but your a noob. Accept it, expect it, and get your expectations in check. Enjoy the hell out of the small day-to-day victories. Loving and becoming addicted to those small attainable victories and doing them over and over again produces the by-product of becoming good - but thats not supposed to be the focus - THATS the big secret.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's not a simple answer to how to get better.

Giving up doesn't help and it is always better to keep trying if your goal is to get much better.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Dude, i know that feel...
I think I'm also reaching a limit in how good i can be at this game, but you know what?
There are a lot of people that are naturally good at this game, people that determine the metagame and create the combos and all that stuff, but still, maybe them did not had to train as hard as you because they just were good at this, that means you will have to train harder, every lose is a chance to learn what are you lacking, every win means results of your training, there are going to be skilled people that will bully you and completely outmatch your skill, but that's part of it, you have to deal with that, you suck it up, redo your basics and go at it again!
If you play 100 matches and only win 25, thats 75 opportunities to learn what's wrong with your game!

Dude like i said, I'm on the same boat, and if you are feeling like that, maybe i am not good at the game, but at least i would like to help you improve and be your sparring partner, because if we train and help each other, maybe we can achieve great results, giving criticism and pointers on what to fix and what to change!
Practice your execution, so you do exactly what you want

Then watch this

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I'm reaching a point where I don't know if I geniunely suck or is my opponents are actually more skilled than I am.

Squidoshi

Smash Rookie
I played Smash casually through out the years, and recently a friend turned me back on to the idea of the game since he brought it over and we play. He's from New Jersey and went to competitions all the time and he's a very good player. I lose to him all the time. In the week and a half, I've been serious about this or trying to get good enough to get into the competitive scene, I've improved. I agree with everyone's points. You don't only have FG, you said you went to locals and asked advice from them, why not ask one to be your mentor? Hopefully you pick one with enough knowledge in your character(s). I obviously have a lot to learn about, not only with my main Yoshi, but the general game as well. How to turn neutral into an advantage state, and keep it there, or how to turn a disadvantage state into an advantage state. These all come into play and will help you improve if you haven't thought about these before.

I've gotten discouraged from games, we all do, we're human. But it's what you do after that makes all the difference. I lost in a tournament round one (There was no losers bracket) so I walked away and did some other stuff for awhile. Went back down, my friend I spoke of before won the tournament and we all played some FFA's or 1v1's and had fun. Do I think people are stuck in Smash Hell? Not really, there's always something you can do to improve, sometimes it takes you a little longer to figure it out. You'll improve, and without beating the dead horse about saving replays, just focus on staying optimistic. Your thoughts will be happier and go from "I suck" to "That was a good game, but why did I lose?"

I get punished all the time from my friend, and sometimes when we're playing I'll mutter under my breath "I should've done X instead of Y" He'll talk to me after the match and explain why X would have worked more than Y. I have the hardest time reading opponents, like with Yoshi I'll -- DownGrab > Uair. He explained, wait for the air dodge and if they don't then Uair, something I never thought about.

In conclusion, you'll get there man, be optimistic and use strategies! I hope you have a good day and don't give up!

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings

I'm still terrible. After over 10k games played and hundreds of hours spent on this game. Most of the people on For Glory kick my ***, and For Glory is literally what people joke about when they talk about ****ty players, and after doing literally everything I can think to do to improve, I still get my *** kicked there. My win rate for the last 50 games I played is like 25% or something awful like that. The last local I went to I didn't even beat a single person. I lost my first round and then immediately lost in losers bracket. The most people I've ever beaten in a local is two. And one of the people that day was a Dedede.

I'm in a similar scenario. I've been playing the Smash series since 2005 and I get bodied by casuals myself. To be one of the greats is a challenge and a cloying one at that. If that's what you are aiming for, say to yourself there is no giving up. According to your post, you are on the right track. Keep doing what you're doing; it takes time to apply your discoveries in an actual match, so don't expect a big winning streak. May I suggest you just avoid For Glory altogether 'cause I'm pretty certain lag is the most prevalent thing to **** players over. Besides, your win rate doesn't mean a whole lot.

If this high rate of losses bothers you so much, take a good long break. Personally, I'd put away all my video games for about 6 months when spring starts.

Hope this helps! :)

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
Update on this thread because I have not logged into smash boards for a long time. I have not played smash in like a month and I have no desire to play again. It's too frustrating to me and I'm **** at it.

In case anyone was dying to know where ol' dakotaisgreat's saga ended :p.

Top Bottom