• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When do you throw bananas down?

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I haven't really seen people throw bananas down (while they themselves are on the ground) in many of the Diddy videos that I've watched. I don't do it a lot myself either, but I find there are uses.

If you glide toss up to a shielding opponent and throw the banana down, they can't punish with a shield grab or they will trip. This puts them in a bad spot, so they have to get out of there before you grab / shield poke them.

Also if you're standing next to an opponent and just throw a banana down, they'll trip pretty quickly. Sometimes you can do this quickly enough to prevent them from doing a move that requires some charge up (but quicker attacks will hit you before they trip).

Do you guys have any uses for it?

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i throw bananas down alot often. When the banana hits them, they tend to roll out of place. Right when they roll, i usually fair or bair and it gets them sometimes. Dropping bananas are pretty good too (Z).

IDK

Smash Lord
its the dropping of bananas that i never know when to use.

EDIT: i wonder if you could glide+drop...

Vall3y

Smash Lord
the glidetoss down sounds interesting but i havent really seen it in action
otherwise just tossing bananas down is stupid, dont abandon your bananas

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well I would say it might be useful against an opponent that is really good at catching your bananas. Since its will hinder their movement until they get control of a grounded banana, its not necessarily a bad idea to throw them down, if only to make sure its harder for your opponent to use them against you. Of course throwing them at your opponent tends to work better when you are on the offense, and I dont recommend throwing them down all the time, but if you are throwing bananas at your enemy only to have them used against you, the ground might be a better place for them.

saberhof

Smash Master
if they shield, i sometimes footstool them and throw a banana at them fast...its pretty funny...but not that usefull...

Scala

Smash Ace
the glidetoss down sounds interesting but i havent really seen it in action
otherwise just tossing bananas down is stupid, dont abandon your bananas
It's definitely NOT abandoning your bananas. As mentioned earlier it prevents grabs and being punished if they shield your banana

It also makes you very inconsistant (which is a GOOD thing).

Additionally, if you throw it down they might drop their shield when they realized you didn't throw it at them.
Pick it back up, glide toss into fsmash.

Also, you can toss down off of ledges which can be useful for gimping recoveries.

IDK

Smash Lord
if they are shielding or waiting for you to throw it. throwing it up or down mixes it up and confuses them
known as the fatalitie's fake. used mainly against furries(space animals) when they try to reflect your nanners. you can run at them and either jump cancel toss in the opposite direction, or throw down or up. i prefer up throw because your know where its going and down sort of slides under and behind you which is weird for me. and the jump cancel has a little lag although it puts you closer to them. bad for spacing and it will get you shined. so basically i will run at them and upthrow it then dash attack or upsmash.

Emo-030

Smash Rookie
I throw my bananas sometimes to the ground, if your opponent is at your back you can do a Glide Toss Down to your opponents direction and the enemy will slip forward, so you can pick up your banana again and you hit your opponent with picking up the banana with a dashattack.
If your opponent is on your face side, then you can Glide toss down to his direction and he will slip behind you.. if you do this fast, you can hit them directly with a Dsmash. ( or the same thing as the first one I mentioned )
This is a very good mindgame in my opinion, especially against camping players.

Btw: If you do the Glide Toss Down good, and the opponent shield your banana, you are behind him so you can do many stuff after it, like -Grab - Dsmash - Tilts, etc. But if their shield is a little bit smaller, then they will trip also. So, this works fine for me..

if you guys didn't know this, have fun with it :)
but if you guys knew this, then also have fun with it >.<

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
Assuming that the opponent doesn't shield grab, but rather attacks, glide toss down may trip them if the attack is weak and hits them during the animation. Small chance, but it is a possibility. Are there any "professionals" that glide toss down? Are there any professional Diddys out there?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I like this idea of glide tossing down.

Glide toss the banana peel down in front of them, and if they dodge roll away, pick up the banana and glide toss down again to where they dodge roll. That would be a sweet way to chase the opponent if it worked.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I like this idea of glide tossing down.

Glide toss the banana peel down in front of them, and if they dodge roll away, pick up the banana and glide toss down again to where they dodge roll. That would be a sweet way to chase the opponent if it worked.
Yeah, but some moves (I think quite a few actually) can hit you before they trip on the banana unfortunately. I'm not sure which moves these are, perhaps some testing is in order.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Okay, the reason that some moves hit you before they trip is that a banana thrown down sometimes goes behind you, and sometimes in front. If it goes in front they might trip, but if it goes behind you they won't.

I did some tests on glide tossing down, not with every character but just to see the basic idea of what happens. The direction that you slide / are facing doesn't matter, only the distance between you and the opponent.

glide toss down (far) -> This causes the opponent to slip on the banana, causing the banana to fly up and back (ending up behind you). banana ends up behind you, opponent right in front of you.
Followups are the same as for glide toss forward, except the banana is behind you (less convenient, not as good I think).

glide toss down (close) -> This does the same as the previous one, but when you are close enough, the slide from the glide toss slides you past your opponent. banana and opponent are both behind you. Opponent is between you and the banana.
Followups include dsmash*, reverse dtilt*, reverse fsmash**, reverse ftilt**. There are other options like techchasing or grabbing.

* At low % (0-25% I'd say), your opponent will slip on the banana (I have not tested on all characters), allowing you to follow up again (pref dash attack / SH aerial) or set up for more combos (another banana).
** This sends your opponent past the banana (not tested on all characters). At low % (so that you don't knock them too far away), allows for a dash attack banana pickup which hits opponent.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I do the down one. I thought that was common sense until I read the responses. Pretty much just run up to them and do it down, so that it would go under them and you would end up gliding on the other side of them. You could jab them, smash them or whatever you can think of. Experiment. When you play friendlies, don't play to win. Play to learn.

Top Bottom