• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your smash story?

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
I want to know how you first got interested in smash.

1. When/Why did you get SSB 64?

2. When/Why did you get SSBM?

3. Why/why did you start to join tournaments?

4. When/why did you start to use advanced techniques?

5. Why did you come on these forums?

6. Why did you choose your main?

7. And finally, why do you plan to get Brawl?

My answers:

1. I didn't plan on getting SSB64, my family just gave it to me back in '99 for a Christmas gift. Needless to say, I was 7-8, and I found that it was my favorite game for 64.

2. I didn't know of SSBM until 2002, I went into a blockbuster one day, and I saw that there was a new smash game, and didn't show much interest into it, since I rented something else. But one day, I went back to blockbuster, and since I thought that melee was the only decent rent there, I rented it, loved it, and bought it soon afterwards.

3. I didn't start to enter tournaments until last year, since there weren't really any tournies in my area, except for a few local ones. I have been to 2 so far in my life, and learned a lot about smash, and even had a lot of fun.

4. One day, I had no new nintendo games, so I wanted to explore my old ones. I got pretty bored with melee, since I had no friends that liked it, and I went online to see some fun things to do. I found some "advanced techs", and I eventually started to use them.

5. I came on these forums back in November of 06 to learn more about smash. I instantly loved these forums, and still post here until this day.

6. I chose Luigi as my main since he is one of my favorite Nintendo characters, and he fits my playing style.

7. I'm getting brawl because I loved the last two games, and I am looking forward to the new characters and wifi:D!

D

Deleted member

1. I got SSB64 back in 2000, I want to say, not sure... my friend had it and I thought it was cool, so I picked up a copy

2. I don't own SSBM

3. First tournament I went to was last summer at Smashacre... went because I wanted to see how good I really wasn't and talk to people and play some matches...

4. No idea... I just remember trying to learn wavedashing... then stuff started happening and techs started coming together

5. I don't remember... I found it via someone, and joined...

6. I played Fox since SSB, and his skills carried over into Melee... I recently started to work with Shiek so I could play matchups I was bad with as Fox...

7. Because I played it yesterday and it *****... hard...

TOBIYA

Smash Apprentice
1. the day it came out. because my brother bought it

2.when i got my gamecube which was around 2001 or 2002. c'mon, its smash. thats why.

3.only tournament ive been in was one in my school.

4. advanced techniques, in january. to own my friends

5. came on these forums because its fun. and to learn more about smash and how to get better, also to see how other people are interested in smash.

6. chose my main becuse i like FOX.

7. because its brawl.

Dragmire

Smash Lord
to see if link truly was the best (was really CF)

it was the biggest deal and I got it on release date

to see if I could do well and have fun as well as meet some friends

so i wouldn't keep losing and it makes life way easier

to see if i could become more in tune with the smash community

i've always been a fan on ganondorf

Because i've played it and it's just awesome

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman

I remember the day I first saw it - one of my neighbors brought this "cool new game for the N64" and wanted to play it with us.

I was hooked the instant I saw the game in action. Nintendo characters beating each other up? A fighting game that involves knocking characters out of the ring rather than stringing combos together to bring down the opponent's life gauge?

At the time, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was big(at least where I was), and I didn't get too well into it, so this was a nice change of pace.

It was already highly anticipated by the Gamecube's release date. I remember practicing madly with Kirby in SSB64 only to find out that most of the cool stuff I did in SSB64 couldn't be done by Melee Kirby.

I wanted to get better, and I wanted to play more than like, 3 people.

I believe I started some advanced techniques uninentionally within the first year of me playing the game, like dash cancelling, short hopping and double jump cancel....

I never got into the whole advanced technique scene until about two years ago when I first learned of wavedashing. Rather than whine about it like most casual elitists do(lol gamefaqs/youtube) I learned to do it myself.

The original reason, I recall - aside from lurking to find new information - was for a "critique my gameplay" topic with youtube videos.

I have to say it did help me, my gameplay's improved a lot compared to the other five years I was playing the game straight.

My two mains as of now are Yoshi and Marth.

As mentioned before, I played Kirby in SSB64 and tried Melee Kirby with limited results. I realize now that I was playing this Kirby wrong - that I was being way too aggressive for a character as limited as Kirby.

Nonetheless, at the time I was irritated that one of the best characters ended up being one of the worst, so I decided to pick another character in the roster that fit my playstyle. At that time, I ended up deciding on either Mario or Yoshi. I decided to go Yoshi, partly due to my liking Yoshi ever since Super Mario World.

Yoshi's somewhat reckless style of play really got to me, with the second jump absorbing hits and being deceptively heavy. It got my Yoshi pretty hated in my community quickly.

As for Marth...

While playing around one day, my friend decided to go Roy because he claimed he could beat me bad with him. I decided to take him up on the swordman thing and picked Marth.

That day, I liked Marth's fluid sword style so much, I wanted to get better with it. So I did.

I didn't show notable improvement on it until about two years ago though. Back then I was a primarily grounded Marth who didn't even use utilt, not exactly top tier material, eh.

Because it looks fun?

Even despite the fact that Yoshi is apparently crap(again) in this game, and that Marth has nerfed range, I'll take it anyway and enjoy it the best I can.

The main thing about a game is to keep it fun. Some people complain that Brawl is basically Melee 2.0, but I argue that. Why change the fundamentals of a game if it still works? Melee is still fun as long as you have friends to play it with(imo), and Brawl looks to be keeping that aspect of the game.

Something drastic will have to be done to the game to make me hate it.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion

I never owned an N64 (until a few years ago), but a few of my friends did and I would always play it at their houses. I loved it, and it's probably my second favorite game of all time, behind Melee.

I never owned a Gamecube either. I often played at my friend's house, and even considered buying a 'Cube just for this game, but decided against it. I didn't play the game for a long time, until a year ago when I got my Wii. Melee was the first game I bought and this was when I first heard of SWF.

After reading up on Smashboards and practicing the hell out of advanced techs, I realized my friends rarely wanted to play the game and I had basically been wasting my time. So, I decided to try playing competitively rather than let go of my skills.

As soon as I got my own copy of SSBM. At first they really confused me because I had no idea what they were actually supposed to do. But after awhile of reading SWF I got the hang of them. I learned them because I figured, "this game is awesome, why not get good at it?"

Because I heard that people smash competitively, and decided to look into it.

I didn't. I consider myself an Ice Climber main, but I've gone through nearly the whole cast, and like to play most of them. I just read the character specific and watch videos. I love how every character plays so differently, so every once and a while I just pick up a new character.

Because it's ****ing awesome. I hope the Melee scene stays active, though, because want more of a chance to get involved in tournaments.

S623

Smash Apprentice
1. I got it the year it came out and I got it from my aunt for Christmas
2. I got it in 2003. Course I had no idea what the hell I was doing. I thought the a-moves sucked.
3. I only started tournaments very recently and got into them to get better and to earn money doing something fun.
4. I don't. Occasionally, I'll L-Cancel or wavedash but I usually don't.
5. 'Cuz it's a good place to learn ATs
6. Because I enjoyed the Metroid and Mother series, so I decided to stick with Samus and Ness.
7. Because I think that the competitive scene will be just a little bit smaller and will be less focused on ATs and more on knowledge+mastery of your character and others. And Lucas is awesome.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I never owned a Nintendo 64 or SSB64. I downloaded Project 64k and played it on Keyboard.

I got SSBM in 2003. It was just a game I really wanted to get since it came out. I got it because it was fun to play at my friend's house.

To show everyone that Kirby *****. So then I start getting *****. >_>

I started them a year or two after me being a noob.

Because everyone awesome is signed up here.

Because Kirby was my first Nintendo character. (Kirby Dreamland 1)

I planned to get it because I know it's awesome. I play it at a friend's house.

Roman.

Smash Champion
Frankly, I never got it and have only played it a handful of times.

Summer of '07, my friend gave it to me because I wanted to practice for Brawl (this is when it was suppose to come out in June!)

Well Brawl kept getting pushed back, and I kept on getting better at Melee, so I thought why not. Also the smash community is just too cool. Made lots of friends.

Asap. I unlocked all the characters and stages, then learned how to wavedash/l-cancel XD

To learn the advanced techniques as said in #4

Captain Falcon? Not because he's sexy. Because he plays like I want a character to. I can really take my mind to a pretty far extent while still being in control (glares at fox).

Because it's the only reason I even got into the smash scene XD. Wolf FTW!

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
We got it when it first came out. As to why? It has Mario and Pikachu on the cover! What more reason did a kid like me need?

We got it the day it came out. That was also the day we got our first Gamecube. As to why? It was Super Smash Bros., that's why.

3. When/why did you start to join tournaments?
I've only entered a couple, but I wish i could've entered more. Playing against people is infinitely better than playing against COMs.

Except for wavedashing, I've been using a lot of 'advanced techniques' intuitively since day 1. I just can't get wavedashing down, though, so I'm glad t's out in Brawl.

Because I was bored, and I was obsessed with Brawl.

Kirby- cause he's Kirby. He's cute, lovable, and it's nice to shove that in your opponent's face- especially if they main people like Bowser and Ganondorf. Love his playstyle, too. Jiggs- same reasons. Ganondorf- I like his playstyle. And because he's Ganondorf. Mewtwo- Just because he's Mewtwo.

CAUSE IT'S BLEEPIN SMASH BROS., THAT'S WHY.

ch_checkmeout

Smash Apprentice
I don't remember when, but I remember stealing it from some white kid at my school who showed it off. He was one of those bullies.

When it first came out. My friend told me Mewtwo was in it, and I was in my Pokemon lover phase hahah

For fun and money. Though, I never won one yet x_x

About 2 months ago. I kept getting my *** beat by my friend's Doc, and his wavedashes looked cool to me lolol

For friends :)

Because he's sexy, duh

Lucario!

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
I got it about March 2001, and I got it because I started playing at a friends house one day and won several times without even trying

I barely remember when i got it, but i remember getting it b/c it looked great and SSB was one of my favorite games ever

I've only been in 3, but I wanted a challenge.

I started using them once i finally got beat by some guy in Best Buy, he was amazing...

Learn news, chat, make friends, kill some people....

Um, didn't want to get my *** kicked?

Because nature needs to run its course.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
my story is better than all yours :):

long story short, i was at the halo national championships in NY and i noticed that the smash brothers side was more lively and energetic than the halo side. i sat down with some random guy (who turned out to be Husband) and he explained to me some of the game mechanics and why smash is better than halo. he introduced me to smashboards and i entered mlg ny 06 shortly after.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
the game wasn't out until nov 2001 did you get a japanese copy?
Well, I did have the Japanese copy which I gave to my Thai friend, but I got the American version, which i think came out in 1999 (I think you were thinking of Melee)

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I got SSB64 because a friend of mine had it and it was just extremely fun to play. I got it in the Summer of '99

I got SSBM because I liked the first one so much, and also because it had Bowser (I thought Bowser in a Smash Bros was the greatest thing ever) :chuckle:. I rented it several times before I finally bought it in Spring of 2002.

I started to join tournaments in August of 2006. That Summer I had gotten back in to SSBM (I stopped playing for a while) and I was trying to improve my game. On GameFAQs I often saw topics about Wavedashing and also topics about Ken and Aniki. So I read these, watched the Ken V Aniki matches and I was amazed. While trying to learn more about wavedashing I ended up here at SWF, where I found the Advanecd How to Play video and info about MN tournies. The rest is history I guess. lol

In August 2006, same time I started going to tournaments. At my first tournament I didn't L-cancel or WD lol. I just wanted to improve my game and compete.

Because it's such a large forum for smashers and there's just so much information on here.

I chose G&W just because he's hilarious and a really odd character. I like his old-school feel. I also chose Samus because I like her style of play and I'm a big fan of the Prime series.

Well for one thing, the game's just extremely fun. I just love Smash. Another reason is because I want to stay part of the competitive smash community.

Zodiac

Smash Master
1. About ten years ago I was not much of a gamer, I was dare I utter the words, a casual gamer. But that changed, and it changed drastically as my brother brought home a rental from blockbuster for the n64 that would ultimately make my a real gamer. The legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time, Needles to say I played the game to death and beat dozens of times(I still play and beat it to this day) I started to search the internet for every bit of information I could find on Zelda. I search I found, and I kept searching, one day through my journey to become a greater Zelda scholar(Lol), I came across a bit of information about a Nintendo fighter, this is what I had been dreaming about! Link vs Mario! Mario vs Luigi! I had to have it, so as soon as I heard I went out and rented the game for the n64 and began to simply, play the game, I did not explore it at all, I just played classic mode. I had no idea what advanced techniques were, or that there was a competitive scene at all! Tournaments, that is what I always wanted with smash64, unfortunately, smash64 came and went without me ever finding out about the real potential this fighter had.

2. I was surfing the web as I always did when I saw a screen shot of sheik, but on gamecube! I wondered, what is this?! I investigated further and found out that in just a few short weeks Super Smash Brothers melee would be coming out for gamecube! Of course I bought it and me and my friends (I had a solid crew for five years even though I didn't know what crew was) but after five years of the game being out and playing it nearly constantly with quite frankly no equal within my town. I always won... always. But after five years, I got board, so board that I stopped playing melee in favor of other games, like Final Fantasy and those kinds of rpg's. However I still was an avid nintendo fan and subcribed to nintendo power magazine, I read an article about Smash World Forums and it mentioned Wave Dashing, I tried wave dashing but It was hard to visulize, So I came to smash boards two years ago to learn, and when I saw the mass of Advanced techniques to learn I was overjoyed, then I heard that this game was actually played competitively! And so I began my training.
3. Because it was awsome.

4. As soon as I found out about them, of course I didnt really master them for about a year. that was a year after I started smashing with Yatta dante, Its been two years of smashing.

5. so i could learn advanced techs.

6. Link is awesome

7. I would explain it but I ran out of narrative craziness at question 2.

Peeze

Smash Master
1. I actually got into ssb64 after i mastered melee, late 2007.
2. My friends played it and it was fun so i gotta gamecube just so i could play it. 2004
3. to get better
4. i never knew about advanced techs until i joined smashboards, 2006
5. To find out why i wasn't getting better, and to get better.
6. I worked through all of the characters, and ganondorf fit my style best.
7. Self-explanatory. Probly gonna main sonic.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I never did, i was 8 at the time, but i had a ps1

I got it in 2003 because my freind was talking about how awesome it was and stuff

I have only been too two school tournies, and it was after i was eleightened by advance tech

after I got my @$$ handed to me by a freined who fox foxwhoring me all over the place

i came because i saw someone on here and then I joined and the rest s history

First was falco cause he was cool(before my enlightenment)
the ganon on my first tourny(switch with falco too)
then roy cuase i beat my friend fox with him
then link cause i was able to beat fox 5 times in row
then IC due to my friend catching on to both link and roy, so i use him to offset his fox

I main all of them now

DAY ONE

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I never did.

I never did. In fact, I don't own a Gamecube and didn't get a Wii until just last summer.

Though I was relatively new to the Smash scene, I've been a competitive player on other games. It's fun to play in tournaments, because each progressive set tends to be more challenging. Later, going to Smashboards tournaments let me meet tons of awesome people.

Out of necessity, pretty much. I'm not actually a very technical player, and anything I learned I pretty much just learned because I needed to move faster in a certain way... like wavelanding so I could actually use platforms for something.

I don't actually remember any more, but around March 2007 I used it to set up a smashfest/tournament to great success.

I have this tendency to select female playable characters. It's only natural, then, that I usually play Peach, Sheik, and Marth (lol). I can't really think of much else, other than the fact that I can't use most of the other characters nearly as well.

Because it's the next step in the series. And in my case, the first copy of Smash I'll ever own.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519

I this game when it first came out, (I was young and inexperiance at the time. =p), the reason I played it because Kirby my most favorite Nintendo character was in there, without him, I wouldn't even play Smash Bros. at first.

I got it when it first came out as well. I got this one becasue I wanted to learn what's new in the game, and how fun it is/was.

Because my Crew Members wanted me to. XD No matter what, I'll try to put harm into those who play and think they are better than me.

I started using them in my first play thourgh on Melee. Why I used them... eveyone else was doing it, so I have to use it as well, lol.

I came to see how many Kirby main's are there around this forum. I also wanted to see any combo's I haven't seen yet.

Kirby is my most favortie Nintendo character, (Lip is my second.... some people can dream though. -_-), I also like wierd characters becasue....... there so funny. XD

To finally have fun. In Melee, the fun died away real quick for me. T_T But I'll make sure that same thing never happens.

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
I got it in 2006 with Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door.

I got it as a Birthday present when I got the Gamecube.

I've never joined a tournament.

I haven't learned any advanced techniques, but I can beat up any one with my own combos and moves.

Uh.....For popcorn? Heh. I went here for Smash Bros.

Mario, and because he's easily the best Meteor Smasher in the game. My other mains are Luigi, Ice climbers, and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Because I want to get it. How do ya' like them apples, sugah?

Neodaft_boy

Smash Cadet

I got SSB64 around May at the time of my birthday not even a month after it's debut near the end of April. I was 10 at the time... and growing up playing Nintendo as your favorite gaming platform, and knowing about a game that you were able to play with Link AND Pikachu... I wanted it and it's all I wanted for my birthday. And... I got it, loved it.

I was a huge fan of SSB64, I wanted Melee even more so because of that. I received a GC on Christmas of 2001 and following that... it was non other then Melee (the last present I got because my parents knew that I wanted that most... upon having a GC too lol)

Today, I still play it.

N/A... I don't have any around my area nor do I have the cash to travel and do so. Casual expert matches with my friends will do me!

Umm, I started wavedashing when I first started college in September, 2007... I liked it, was useful but I don't support it. Sure it's handy but I just don't think smash bros should be played like that, not everyone can do it. Throughout it's launch and now I short jump and all the other little tricks but just no wavedashing ;3

To find out the best recipe for chocolate chip cookies. o3o... Lol, SSB of course!!

I have no real reason, I just preform best with Young Link and Peach... (Yoshi on good days but that third jump could really come in handy) ...Marth sometimes but hes very over used... so I frown upon using Marth. Peach would be my best out of all that I use though.

areoi;jo;aeihr... because myself, and my other friends are hardcore Nintendo/SSB fans and expert players. I would be crazy NOT to get the game.

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet

I got it because it was a classic. I actually got it a couple of years back. I had always borrowed it from my friend but then we stopped talking and I stopped playing N64. Years later I finally got it for myself because I loved that game.

I borrowed it from my cousin first because I always loved the smash bros. series and he was playing PS2 at the time so he didn't mind me having SSBM for a couple of months. Afterwards I got it from a friend and practiced most days.

I wish I could be in one but I'm prolly not good enough

I don't know that much about advanced techniques. I might be doing them but purely accidental or just because I never knew it was advanced.

I love the smash bros. series and I wanted to discuss the games and get links to tournament fights so I can see the pros

I chose my main, which is Dr. Mario, because I prefer his bulkier and stronger physique than just Mario. Although Mario is still good.

I plan to get it because it will be insanely sick.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I want to know how you first got interested in smash.

One day, I saw the commercial, and it made me laugh so hard. It got me thinking, "Oh wow! This is a neat idea!" so I go to blockbuster and find a copy. I lost count on how many times I was re-renting that game...

After hearing the characters that were going to be in it, I freaked and wanted it. Unfortunately, I did not have a gamecube at the time, so everyone got a two-three year headstart on me until I finally got one on my birthday and Melee. Great times...and I loved the new moves used in it!

....I haven't been in an actual tournament for smash to be honest, but I would LOVE to enter them. Hopefully with Brawl and sites all around I can start that up. I love competing in that game.

I started using adv. techs a few months ago. I got the hang of wavedashing until I found out that Brawl has none, so I dropped that. But as for shieldgrabbing, ledgehogging and that, I added those to my game in an instant after seeing its awesome effects.

I was looking for an official Smash site for discussing the game and learning about how good players and pros play the game. I wanted to get better and I found this site!

My original main was Roy because I just like the way he played. Not too fast, real powerful, and seemed to snap together attacks just the way I wanted them to. Unfortunately, it was the ONLY character I used. All until I switched to Marth was then I opened up to all of the characters, but now Marth is my main.

Brawl is looking amazing. Great characters, new settings, moves, STAGE BUILDER, its just pure awesomeness. Plus its the reason I got a Wii, strictly for Brawl lol

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
I got it in 4th grade when I contracted rheumatic fever. It was the only game I played for 8 weeks while I couldnt go to school.

I got SSBM because my best friend, who was way better than me at the time had it, and always beat me. I vowed to become better than he was, so I bought a cube and smash.

I live in Eastern WA... tournaments dont exist

After joining the forums

I wanted to learn how to beat all my friends

My main rotated from Jiggs, to Falco, to Fox, to Marth. I liked Pokemon so I chose Jiggs, then realized that Falco was the bomb, then realized Fox was way faster, then realized I was better with Marth.

Shirufu

Smash Apprentice
Well i actually got it like a year or two before melee came out because i had no idea what else to buy and i had rented this game before and loved it. i eventually started just playing to increase my reflexes etc but in elementry school you know, what can you really do?

Becuase i was in love with smash 64 and i always loved playing that game and put many hours into smash 64, melee was the game to get for me, it would be even better XD.

9th grade, back in the beggining of '05/end of '04. Im now a senior. I went because i was good at smash bros but i never knew how good i was. i went to a tourny and started by fighting Bage (friend of prodigy) the first tournament i was ever in. from that time on Melee became more then a game to me. Sadly the place got shut down and i only had about 4-6 months worth of tournies.

Because i needed to keep up with prodigy and the other's at the mall i played at. i never got too into them and w/d is the only one i have really trained and perfected. Mostly used w/d to get away from my peach main friend who kept hover smacking me.

Because i wanted to meet good players and to start getting into the community heavily. I'm not too into huge board because it's hard to keep track of everything so im mostly just trying to get out there.

Because I couldn't find someone who fit my style. i decided i would try to do luigi's wavedash spin (i thought his spin would only move fast if you wavedashed into it) and after messing around with him and correction this error i found out i was pretty good with him and i liked his floatiness and even though his move-set may seem quite boring it's actually a lot of fun for me as almost all of his moves are really good.

Because i love smash bros and i love competition. I'm hoping to become one of the best players in the nation as i know I'm not the worst and i feel confident in my ability when it comes to brawl. I just want to do something with something i like AND am good at. smash bros is one of those things. Now i mean i want to win and get known and stuff, but first and foremost i just love competition and the fun of smash bros.

Tok

Smash Rookie

I got SSB 64 like a 5 months after it came out.. Played it, Loved it, Owned it.. lol

Loved ssb 64.. Wanted to see the new characters and loved beating up on people

Never played a tourney.. Would like to.. But havent heard of any in my region...

Funny I would own every one i knew and thought i was pro just step dogdging and roll dodging.. Till one day a friend of mine started jumping alot for some odd reason and tried mimicking play styles of people of he'd seen on youtube.. He kept beating me till i asked him how he got so good ( to later find out he wasnt really any good at all).. He showed me a video of bomsoldier. I was amazed to say the least and wanted to learn so i looked up stuff about advanced things i had read up about on the comments for bs's videos.. Analyzed them (and still do) and other videos of other pros heavily and have been practicing them since (although im still no good lol)..

I've always read up on the videos and would always see that they were linked to these boards.. Never really took interest till i seen a pc chris video where he mentioned the site and said how he used this sight to find tourneys and stuff. So decided to browse it. Liked what i saw and became a member...

I dont have a main. I enjoy every characters style too much to have one.. Although I do use Fox, Kirby, Samus, and Sheik mostly.. still practice with every character.

It pwns... Nuff said

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
1. When/Why did you get SSB 64? cause I got interested in getting it when I saw the comercials for the game

2. When/Why did you get SSBM? cause after I played it, I liked it so much, that I bought the game and the gamecube

3. Why/why did you start to join tournaments? after I found out about competitions

4. When/why did you start to use advanced techniques? like after I joined here in the boards

5. Why did you come on these forums? I found out over a magazine

6. Why did you choose your main? I chose fox cause I like how he gets to play

7. And finally, why do you plan to get Brawl? Im not sure yet, depending wether it will be as good as melee or not

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
The commercial. And the fact my friend got it the day it came out and I played it with him. It was fun.
Because I liked the 64 version? It looked/is cool/fun/awesome
Never did.
'06. It's funny though. That's when I learned just HOW to perform them. I just could never apply them to my game. So I guess I never REALLY started using them.
Because I was bored.
In 64 it was Fox. In Melee it was Fox (now C.Falcon/Falco). Because I liked Star Fox. And he had a blaster.
Because I love Smash Bros. The series has pretty much become a staple with me and my friends. It's our game we play and it is wonderful.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
2001. I never owned it, just rented it constantly. Played it because NINTENDO CHARACTERS FIGHTING, AWESOME

2005. I never cared much for the game. When I saw the official website and some screenshots, I thought "uh i guess that's cool?".

NEVER

NEVER

To talk about Smash bros.

First in SSB I chose Kirby, because I liked his games. Later I moved on to Yoshi, dunno if there was any reason for it other than "he's cuter".

because NINTENDO CHARACTERS FIGHTING, AWESOME

attackofthekillerkoopa

Smash Rookie
N/A

I got SSBM when I got my Nintendo GameCube. I was very excited when I got my first video game console and it was the second game I got.

N/A

I recently started to use advanced techniques because I couldn't beat level 9's at all. Now I can handle most of them except Peach and Luigi. I also managed to unlock everything, get most of the bonuses, and get most of the trophies.

I came on these forums because I needed help with 1-Player Mode.

My main is Yoshi and Bowser.

Yoshi was my main from the start. Yoshi's my favorite Nintendo character and the only one that I can use to beat Event 51 The Showdown. I have yet to accomplish this with Bowser.

I recently started using Bowser.

N/A

Andromeda

Smash Lord
1. I've only recently ordered SSB64. I haven't got it yet.
2. I first played the demo at a store in 2002, and I got stuck immediately. When I finally got a cube, in 2005, Smash was the second game to be purchased. (After Mario Kart Double Dash, that was bundled with the cube.)
3. I've never been to a tournament. It's quite impossible, as I'm the only smash-interested person in my region.
4. I started to use advanced techniques spring 2007. I wanted to become better at the game.
5. I read about it on wikipedia in the beginning of 2007, and thought that I just had to register.
6. I chose Falco as my main because I found his playing-style very useful and cool-looking. I chose Ness as my second, because I found him funny to play with.
7. I plan to get Brawl, so I can finally challenge people online, and ultimately, become one of the very best smashers out there. Plus, that it will probably be one of those "must have"-games, even if you not have the same ambitions as I do.

Zarroc96

Smash Rookie
1. Never got it; never owned a N64.

2. June 07. My friends told me to buy it, so I did. Best $30 I spent that year.

3. Never joined/was in a tournament.

4. I started to use them this year, to try to enhance my skills.

5. I wanted to discuss about Brawl in the webs most active Brawl/Melee/SSB 64 site.

6. I chose my main (Sonic) because he looks cool and has an intriging moveset. I also could handle Fox/Falco really well.

7. Because it's probably gonna be GoTY because of online function (that we actually have online), expanded features (SSE FTW!!) and I got hooked onto Melee, so Brawl is a no-brainer.

Bailey

Smash Hero
NO

2001. It looked awesome

2005. Seemed like a new challenge

Late 2005. Because you can't be good without them, and I wanted to win.

To get better and spread word about my tournaments.

I figured exploiting gay was a good strategy so I main Jigglypuff and Marth.

7. I will get Brawl. Hate it because it sucks. Then laugh as everyone comes back to Melee

OnettSphere

Smash Cadet
I never actually got it. I played it at my friends everyday. I have it shipping to me right now though.
I played it again at that friends house then got obsessed
I still haven't Im still training my skills. I plan to do a local tournament soon, however
When I looked up Smashbros on Youtube and saw them, i immediatly learned them
I wanted a place to talk about smash bros and found these forums
hmmm....mains Heres my main story
I never really had a main until the end of Melee/beginning of Brawl period. I found Ness and fell in love with his moveset. After that I picked up Link and when Brawl came out I finished my trio with the badarse Snake.
It looks amazing, a tad floaty, but amazing. I still, however, will play melee

Top Bottom