• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your playstyle?

ADHD

Smash Hero
As sheik, are you: Aggressive? Offensive? Defensive? I just wanted to see.......

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't care.

Which is not towards this thread or the question, just... my style can best be described as "I don't care."

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
One day, Ankoku and I are going to be in a tournament together and form the ultimate team.

Ankoku's Style --> Doesn't Care

Cobra's Style --> Plays Aggressively to Win

...Team name = "Ninja don't care...as long as they kill you."

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
What's the difference exactly between agressive and offensive?

Is it possible to defend agressively? Run up to someone and defend?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well when I play aggressively I try to overwhelm my opponent with my quick speed and pretty much play like someone would if their opponents shield is about to break...It was more effective back in Melee.

I guess you can defend aggressively if running up to someone and shield or something like that but I can't see how you could base a whole style around that with Sheik.

Smash Cadet
I play a lot of aerial.
Even with non-aerial characters.
But Sheik has some good aerials.

It's a habit I picked up when I started using Falco in Melee.

S2

Smash Lord
Defensive.

I used to play ultra aggressive back in Melee, eventually it was pointed out by someone in my crew that I typically did better when I played defensively. Which was very true, because I tended to make poor decisions in approaches at times.

I'm actually trying to play more aggressively now. I've reached the point where I'm almost too defensive, my game was mostly sitting back and punishing mistakes.

That works on a lot of players, but once I started getting matches against PR players, I think my defensiveness gets a little bit predictable (especially when I'm switched to Zelda for KOs or certain matchups).

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Well when I play aggressively I try to overwhelm my opponent with my quick speed and pretty much play like someone would if their opponents shield is about to break...It was more effective back in Melee.

I guess you can defend aggressively if running up to someone and shield or something like that but I can't see how you could base a whole style around that with Sheik.
That was sarcasm... I guess it's difficult to convey tone through text.

My point is that it's either offense or defense. There's nothing else. If you're being agressive you're being offensive.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
I play offensive with sheik and defensive with Zelda feels funny transitioning between the two and changing my style up.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
That was sarcasm... I guess it's difficult to convey tone through text.

My point is that it's either offense or defense. There's nothing else. If you're being agressive you're being offensive.
Sheik isn't limited to two or three styles of play and saying she is would over simplification of player styles

If someone doesn't come to you but when you come to them you get immediately knock away as they choose to attack instead of defending they are playing a aggressive defense. They aren't using the traditional means of defeating themselves and they aren't projectile spamming they are just wait for their opponent to enter range before using a attack to knock them away and depending on the move may try to follow it up briefly before going back to their area of control. Occasionally they might use a projectile if they can to force someone to approach or they might leave the area usually by walking since you can do any attack out of a walk.

I like to use this style against people who priority and range attacks suck since it plays to my characters strengths and to their weakness.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Alright, this isn't getting through so I'll give it one more shot.

If player A approaches player B, A is on the offensive.
If player A is approached by player B, A is on the defense.
If player B approaches player A as player A approaches B, they are both offensive.
If player B nor player A approach, they are both defensive.

If I stand still and spam Din, I'm being defensive. Whether I'm blocking or attacking, it's still defense. My point is that aggressive is an adjective. You can be aggressively defensive or offensive. Ergo, aggressiveness is a "co-efficient" or defense or offense. It's not a playstyle in it's own right.

With that said, I am mainly offensive, but I use defense as a pace changer. No one is just one or the other. If they are, they must get owned. A lot.

demodemo

Smash Ace
pseudo aggressive

It looks like i am being aggressive, since i'm rarely far away from my opponent, but i rarely even attack first

i usually run in to bait an attack, then punish accordingly

sounds weird but works for me

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
If I stand still and spam Din, I'm being defensive. Whether I'm blocking or attacking, it's still defense. My point is that aggressive is an adjective. You can be aggressively defensive or offensive. Ergo, aggressiveness is a "co-efficient" or defense or offense. It's not a playstyle in it's own right.

With that said, I am mainly offensive, but I use defense as a pace changer. No one is just one or the other. If they are, they must get owned. A lot.
*looks ashamed for not realizing*

In light of a new understanding...I play an 'Aggressive Offense' style.

(Lol, I've started many a match with a Boost Smash. :-p )

...and then been horribly punished if the stage isn't large enough / the opponent has a projectile. BUT I DO IT ANYWAYS!...cause Boost Smashing looks cool.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
No one is just one or the other. If they are, they must get owned. A lot.
i agree i change up my style depending on the match. it would be kind of lame to be at a tournment and have someone tap my oponent on the shoulder before a match and go. psst hes a offensive shiek

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I attack thin air and hope somebody runs into it. Seriously.

Basically, I just keep using:

shield grab>pummel>fthrow>sh nair
1) if they airdodge, ff>ftilt>ftilt lock or ftilt>grab or ftilt>nair/fair
2) if it hits, techchase

I just do that over and over until I can edge guard with repeated bairs and nairs

and I lure with needles if necessary

That's pretty much how every Sheik plays... isn't it?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I attack thin air and hope somebody runs into it. Seriously.

Basically, I just keep using:

shield grab>pummel>fthrow>sh nair
1) if they airdodge, ff>ftilt>ftilt lock or ftilt>grab or ftilt>nair/fair
2) if it hits, techchase

I just do that over and over until I can edge guard with repeated bairs and nairs

and I lure with needles if necessary

That's pretty much how every Sheik plays... isn't it?
....I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not…are you?

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
haha... i start the match with a boost smash too... just because a boost smash tipper leads to the second hit of the usmash which gives 30% and leads to a good diagonal horizontal movement to chase with a fair...

generally, i play stupid. i do lots of empty short hops and needle charging and make it look fancy and what not... but i'm not doing anything >.<

i also dash dance in place until i trip on nothing and then fall on my face, and get owned by a fsmash... but it looks cool until the fsmash at least..

in all sincerely, i abuse the shield until its reaches the point where it's a tiny orb in the middle of sheik's body, at that point i force myself to play aggressively until the opponent is off the stage where i decide either to gimp kill, charge needles, turn into zelda and try to get a spike (haha it never happens... but i wish it does) or just finish it with zelda

so.. defensive -> aggressive ...

i call it the "david plays like a ******" style

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
Conmstantly on the offensive, but then space back out to charge some needles then go back in for more uptilt kicks to the face :)

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
i mix and matcj. near the beginning of the match, I'm really grabby and defensive, unless I have to be agressive, IOW when I am playing falco

until I get them to high damage or I am up a stock is when I become really agressive

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i'm kinda surprised...theres more ppl w/ offensive styles than i thought, maybe sheiks speed kinda lends itself to that

i play more offensively too...try to get in that damage b4 they knew it hit them
course sometimes i can fall victim to more defensive players b/c of my stubbornness heh

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
I love playing stupid agressive. But, it never works. So I play smart. If you want the feel of exiliration that comes with agressiveness you need to be able to accurately predict pretty much every move your opponent is going to make. Like when they're on the phone lol. But in tournament I also love to needle camp. All day long.

Top Bottom