• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats wrong with laughing at people suffering?

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I laugh at almost any and everything that doesn't harm me or my friends. Why? Because I'm an *******, plain and simple. It just comes natural for me to laugh at other people's misfortune. I laughed at my teacher crying on 9/11.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I can laugh thinking back upon other people's misfortune, especially if it is ironic, inconsequential in the long run or extraordinarily bizarre. But if it involves something incredibly personal i.e. deaths in their family from suicide or something equally as serious I won't. It's one of those lines of decency I won't cross. Laughing at that misfortune is really just showing a disrespect for their life.

Everlasting: Wow...you're a horrible person! :ohwell:

Aesir

Smash Master
Sure you can.

You could make the best joke ever about it, and many would see only horror in what you say, and many would also see comedy gold. At the same time, few would openly laugh at the joke in fear of getting... y'know. Their faces beaten in.

You can make anything funny. ANYTHING. Just takes skill is all.
No you can't make the actual event of 9/11 funny, I challenge you to do it or find me someone who has made it funny.

I can say with certainty it will either not be funny or not have anything to do with the actual event.

Like I said the closest thing you can do to make it funny is poking fun at the hijackers warped sense of loyalty.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
The pikachu one is a bit creepy to me because there's this guy who goes to Pokemon events at Nintendo World "dressed" as pikachu. He shaves his beard into circles and wears this nasty pikachu shirt. An employee is basically assigned to "pedo watch" whenever he's around.

As someone said before, dark humour is funny in unrealistic or imaginary circumstances. Laughing at someone getting hit by a car right in front of you...I pretty much fail to see the humour there. It's just someone getting hit by a car.

Aesir

Smash Master
The pikachu one is a bit creepy to me because there's this guy who goes to Pokemon events at Nintendo World "dressed" as pikachu. He shaves his beard into circles and wears this nasty pikachu shirt. An employee is basically assigned to "pedo watch" whenever he's around.

As someone said before, dark humour is funny in unrealistic or imaginary circumstances. Laughing at someone getting hit by a car right in front of you...I pretty much fail to see the humour there. It's just someone getting hit by a car.
emphasis on this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kezFIrUGiZc <-- irony at its best. >_>

Blackadder

Smash Master
No you can't make the actual event of 9/11 funny, I challenge you to do it or find me someone who has made it funny.
It's harder online to do it myself, but I recall once seeing a hand holding a Wii Mote as the Mote controls a plane into the towers. Text then comes up "Wii Did It!"

I saw a few people saying they giggled at that. It's a very subjective thing, but I found it somewhat amusing.

As I said, ANYTHING. ANYTHING at ALL. Can be funny.

Aesir

Smash Master
It's harder online to do it myself, but I recall once seeing a hand holding a Wii Mote as the Mote controls a plane into the towers. Text then comes up "Wii Did It!"

I saw a few people saying they giggled at that. It's a very subjective thing, but I found it somewhat amusing.

As I said, ANYTHING. ANYTHING at ALL. Can be funny.
Only thing funny about that is the "wii did it" part LOL

I'll give you that one.

But I will say, making a joke about the actual planes crashing isn't exactly funny, it is when you add some comedic element to it though, like what you described.

There needs to be a punch line that is I wanna say tasteful, there was a puppet comic not to long ago I'll get it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SNyQsH7ilIM <-- see thats a tasteful joke on something serious and "unfunny"

Top Bottom