• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats wrong with laughing at people suffering?

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
Ever heard of George Carlin? By far, the best comedian ever, ranked highest by Comedy Central among living stand-up comedians. You know why he's funny? Because his material revolves around the pain of others. And you know what? It's hilarious.

Trust me, you don't have to be uptight to know that some things are just too funny to pass up on. But there are some things that are not funny. Yet the situation/condiction could change things. Example:

It's not funny if a homicidal maniac goes around stabbing and killing men with a kitchen knife
But it is funny if a homicidal maniac goes around stabbing and killing men with a kitchen knife while dressed as Pikachu.

Some people don't like to think like that. Some people would think that's not funny. I say that's BS.

That's why I like emos. I like hearing how screwed up their life is.

KirbyForAll

Smash Apprentice
I think if someone falls in an awkward way or like falls off a bike its, funny.

But stabbing people? No, death isn't funny at all.

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
The example you gave with a man dressed as Pikachu killing people wouldn't be funny because of people suffering, it would be funny because it would be outrageous and the contrast between the cute and friendly pokemon and the homicidal maniac would be vaguely ironic.

Similarly, Carlin's material isn't funny because it's about people suffering, it's funny because he is witty and intelligent.

I think you know this deep down and just wanted to make this thread in an attempt to show off how dark and mysterious you are and grab attention. You must laugh at the death scenes in dramatic films because you are so cool and edgy.

To answer the question in the topic title, the problem with laughing at people suffering is the whole 'treat others as you wish to be treated yourself' ethical code. You wouldn't like it if people laughed at your suffering, would you now?

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
I suppose I can agree with you on his wit and intellect but I have to say nothing tickles my funnybone more than his dark humor.

And no, I'm not grabbing attention. Intellectual banter shouldn't be treated as "an attention grabber" especially if I have a valid point. This is more of just trying to get some basics of human nature down. Aren't any of you interested hearing about car accidents? I do. It's all situational. Some people are just too uptight. I don't understand this uptight mannerism. I say be loose. Laugh when you want to. It's in my earnest opinion that if someone trips and falls on his face, I deserve to laugh.

Why do you think there are so many faceplant videos of skateboarders? Why do you think we're so interested when there's a fire three blocks away but you don't really care when it happens in another country?

It's not dark. It's not brooding. It's human nature.

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
Just for the record, I am a very social individual. I am very active. I enjoy every moment of my life like most sane people but I am not so confined to standards. Oh boy, "standards". You have to meet these "standards". Standards also tell us that we should always listen to adults...even if they're clearly wrong.

I'd like to point it out that it isn't particularly sadism for the most part. I can sympathize for people given the conditions. But that's what I'm getting at. Conditions! It's the situation that gives something hilarity. When a person is killed, aren't you interested? Aren't you interested to know how or why it happened? I like to take a step up from that. I like to know why and how I can imagine the scenario so it'd be even more hilarious.

Ahem. So yeah. I'm just stating a point.

Sworddancer9034

Smash Apprentice
If the suffering of other human beings wasn't funny then America's Funniest Home Videos would of been off the air by now. But seriously, as long as the person who is hurt isn't in any serious pain, I think the suffering of other people can be pretty funny. Heck, sometimes even when I get hurt I laugh at it.

~rh

Smash Lord
I always laugh if I fall down the steps and it's pretty painful. Just because I fell down the steps it's hilarious. But yeah, if someone is suffering from a terrible illness, injury, or disease, it's not funny at all.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
If the suffering of other human beings wasn't funny then America's Funniest Home Videos would of been off the air by now. But seriously, as long as the person who is hurt isn't in any serious pain, I think the suffering of other people can be pretty funny. Heck, sometimes even when I get hurt I laugh at it.
This. Sorry for the one-liner, but this is just how I feel about the whole thing.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I suppose I can agree with you on his wit and intellect but I have to say nothing tickles my funnybone more than his dark humor.

And no, I'm not grabbing attention. Intellectual banter shouldn't be treated as "an attention grabber" especially if I have a valid point. This is more of just trying to get some basics of human nature down. Aren't any of you interested hearing about car accidents? I do. It's all situational. Some people are just too uptight. I don't understand this uptight mannerism. I say be loose. Laugh when you want to. It's in my earnest opinion that if someone trips and falls on his face, I deserve to laugh.

Why do you think there are so many faceplant videos of skateboarders? Why do you think we're so interested when there's a fire three blocks away but you don't really care when it happens in another country?

It's not dark. It's not brooding. It's human nature.
I think there are a couple lines between dark humor, slapstick, and just flat-out human suffering that you're not acknowledging.

I'll be the first to admit that I love dark humor. My friends and I make jokes about eating placenta, contracting "super AIDS", ****, terminally ill children and whatever the hell else tickles our fancy. It's funny. But only because it's all imaginary. If I saw someone actually eating placenta, I might hurl.

Similarly, AFHV is funny because of the slapstick. It's not the fact that people are being seriously injured, it's the fact that they're doing something stupid and rocketing themselves off of a bicycle because of it. Or being hit in the head with a stray chandelier. It's just absurd—that's the funny. If the chandelier killed someone in the video (and you knew it), I honestly refuse to believe you'd laugh. Or I think you'd at least stop once you realized what happened.

Sure, someone committing murder in a Pikachu costume is hilarious in theory due to it's absurdity. Kitten really said it best. I could joke about that and probably earn a few chuckles.

But if you SAW someone, right in front of you, doing just that, I strongly believe your first reaction would not be to laugh. The tragedy of the deaths would outweigh the comedy of the costume. You'd be horrified.

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
Nothing Rhymes with Circus said:
Sure, someone committing murder in a Pikachu costume is hilarious in theory due to it's absurdity. Kitten really said it best. I could joke about that and probably earn a few chuckles.

But if you SAW someone, right in front of you, doing just that, I strongly believe your first reaction would not be to laugh. The tragedy of the deaths would outweigh the comedy of the costume. You'd be horrified.
Haha. True. It's human nature to feel different about it when something like that occurs right before your very eyes. I am trying to say that there's nothing wrong with enjoying other people's misfortunes though. I feel priviledged to do so. My argument is that it's perfectly fine to have a laugh or two. Turn the TV on so you can watch Hockey and enjoy yourself. Or sit back and rofl watching some sports cars soaring sixty feet in the air and landing on a hot dog vendor (if they have any; I dont know, I dont watch Nascar).

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
polyamorous, tomorow you will wake up just like any normal day. you'll be walking down the street and a man will aproach u with a knife and stab u repeatedly. You will be lying there in a pool of blood until u die. Yes, it will be very funny....

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Its called schadenfreude, and its a natural human reaction. Otherwise slapstick wouldn't exist.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
It terms of things like people's heads being cut off in horror films the natural reaction is to laugh because the brain is not used to things like this and so it is a random and automatic reaction. Or so I heard.

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
polyamorous, tomorow you will wake up just like any normal day. you'll be walking down the street and a man will aproach u with a knife and stab u repeatedly. You will be lying there in a pool of blood until u die. Yes, it will be very funny....
It sounds funny, doesn't it? Hell, even I admit it. Granted, you can laugh when someone else dies. At least you're grateful to take side of my argument, sardonic or not =P.

See, isn't it funny? God, you all need to loosen up and abandon all this limitation set by "ethics". Not all unfortunate happenstances need to be treated so seriously. At least chuckle.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
lol when I saw this topic the first thing that came to my head was cyanide and happiness. Nice work.

SagaKirby

Smash Journeyman
If they deserve it,I'd laugh at them

If it can be made into a joke,I'd laugh at them

If its a certain tragedy(AIDS jokes),I'd laugh.

Im a sick Kid,I know.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
It terms of things like people's heads being cut off in horror films the natural reaction is to laugh because the brain is not used to things like this and so it is a random and automatic reaction. Or so I heard.
You know that sequence in Sweeney Todd where Sweeney's slitting the throats of random customers and sliding them down the little chute under his chair? There's this one moment during that montage where some guy lands right on his head and bounces.

My friend and I laugh for a good 10 seconds every time we see it.

But like I said before, that has to do with the event being false and the absurdity of someone bouncing on their head. At least, that's my take on it.

WindyKitt

Smash Rookie
I was about to say that it's schadenfreude, -yay German!- and it is a natural human reaction. However, what isn't funny is when schadenfreude turns into sadism... And NOBODY likes that... unless you are a homicidal maniac who goes around stabbing and killing men with a kitchen knife while dressed as Pikachu.

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
I witnessed someone get hit by a car the other day and let me tell you first off that yes, I was shocked at first. Why? For a split second, there was some part in me that thought "Could that happen to me right now?"

And then I relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. You know. Cops coming. Bloody mess. You know. Fun stuff.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I witnessed someone get hit by a car the other day and let me tell you first off that yes, I was shocked at first. Why? For a split second, there was some part in me that thought "Could that happen to me right now?"

And then I relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. You know. Cops coming. Bloody mess. You know. Fun stuff.
Twenty bucks says you become a serial killer.

Some things are funny; some times when people get hurt, it can be funny. When someone is hit by a car and cops, fire trucks, and ambulances come, it is not fun or funny. It is somebody's tragedy, and nobody's comedy.

I'm not saying this because, according to society, I would be a "bad person" for thinking it's fun or funny. I'm saying this because anybody with a shred of humanity in them would not find anything about it amusing.

Knowing nothing more about the situation (somebody getting hit by a car) other than "somebody was hit by a car", it is not amusing.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

Some things are funny; some times when people get hurt, it can be funny. When someone is hit by a car and cops, fire trucks, and ambulances come, it is not fun or funny. It is somebody's tragedy, and nobody's comedy.

I'm not saying this because, according to society, I would be a "bad person" for thinking it's fun or funny. I'm saying this because anybody with a shred of humanity in them would not find anything about it amusing.

Knowing nothing more about the situation (somebody getting hit by a car) other than "somebody was hit by a car", it is not amusing.
But that's still hilarious...

Polyamorous

Smash Rookie
What fun entertaining people. I prefer to sit on the sidelines and hear about their contributions to society. I'll leave it to the professionals.

If it wasn't because of society, why would change your notion that this is not "funny"? Take a look at the ancient Romans. Now they knew what entertainment was. They were not primitive society. At some point in time, people softened up and want to hide the fact that they are widely amused by people's pain and suffering.

A scenario:

"Hey, look over there, honey. It's a car crash. You want to take a look?"

What are you stupid? Of course you want to see it.

"Look at that honey. That cadaver over there only one arm left. My god. I've never seen someone's leg bent in such a way before. Honey, Honey, stay back. I don't want you to get burned by the fire."

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
There's nothing funny about people suffering. In that, there's nothing funny about someone being in pain or getting hurt in itself. Sometimes, yes, the circumstances of someone getting hurt can be amusing, as long as they are not hurt so badly that they can't laugh at it themselves and there's no real harm done. But laughing at a car accident? That's just ****ed up. No it's not because we're 'bound by our ethics' or whatever that we decide not to find that funny, it because it's not funny. On any level.
There's a point where the level of suffering involved cancels out any comic value to a situation, and that goes 1000 miles beyond it.
"I relaxed and enjoyed the scenery"?? Honestly man, that's messed up. I get your point about humour in other peoples' misfortune but that's going too far.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I personally think you need to lighten up Eriatarka. If you don't laugh then you cry. Everyone should try and find humour in the world where they can.

Also, I think this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hii17sjSwfA is far closer to the truth than many of you might think.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean to be too negative but sorry if it came across that way, I mean I know there can be humour in pain, but the examples being given are kinda extreme. Last month I was trying to teach my sister how to unicycle but I started showing off, and I cycled backwards into a pothole and fell into a nettle bush. It hurt but I'd never say it wasn't hilarious.:dizzy:
I just don't like the idea of getting enjoyment from someone elses misfortune beyond a certain point. That car-crash thing kinda spurred me into angry mode.

Nintendo-pie

Smash Cadet
Heh heh. That's hilarious Eriatarka (that unicycling thing I mean). I love slapstick, I love 'You've been framed' (similar to 'America's funniest home videos' only it's the UK version) and I laugh when people die in fiction(South Park anyone?), but someone dying in real life or someone being seriously injured, that's not funny in my opinion. Oh and neither's someone being beaten up. That's wrong too. If it's the person's own fault then it's funny.

~N-pie

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE!!!

I felt the same way when i heard about Hurricane Katrina. I honestly burst out laughing when i heard about it. Would you like to know why it happens? WE SAW IT COMING!!! That's the basic reason. If you're pretty sure it will happen, and it does happen, that's enough reason to laugh, because you were right, and people will suffer like you predicted. The reason you laugh at George Carlin, Mr. Breaking Ben Fan, is because he talks about them in a way that makes you think you yourself saw it coming, and you laugh in response. If there was a random car crash by you, and it caught you by suprise, you would be in either shock or dismay or both, unless you are a twisted little son of a gun. In that case or similar cases, it will be very unnatural to laugh unless the cars were a pie truck and an ice cream truck, because the first thing that you would've thought of was a joke about ice cream cake, and you know it.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
comedy lies through the pain of others, how little it may be.
sometimes it goes too far.

also, the thread title seems to be worded wrong, as if you went to deprived places and laughed at the people there for fun.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
i believe that nothing is wrong with laughing at peoples' suffering or, for that matter, killing other people. would i ever do such things? very unlikely... since, if you look at it from a philosophical point of view, there is no morality - something that we, as a race, have created to add to the rule-set of society in order for safety. a definition of "wrong" is necessary to answer the topic's title. the question could be answered directly if we are given an ample medium (definition) to work with. for example, if wrong means "detrimental to society", then my answer to the question that the title states is, "plenty."

Aesir

Smash Master
Can you make 9/11 funny? No, you can make the aftermath funny though, but the actual planes crashing intot he buildings? No you can't make this funny.

well maybe if you were trying to point out the irony of them crashing the planes into those buildings so they would punish the infidels and be brought to heaven with the reward of 72 virgins when I haven't even met one on earth.

Well needless to say thats kind of funny.

But as opposed to the actual trajedy? You can't make this funny theres nothing funny about it.

You can't make the Zodiac Killer out to be something comical or Charlse Manson, nore can you make any comical reference to Jeffrey Dahmer. (well maybe you can with that famous cop line, "omg theres a severed head in the refrigerator.")

Truth be told you can't really make comical things about these guys because these are some of the most twisted and warped minds in American History.

However, we can totally make fun of heavens gate.

Why is this? well it's pretty simple you can't actually really make something funny out of the act of killing, but there are those instances where those individuals open themselfs up for hillarious irony.

Thats what Carlin does, you never see Carlin speak about Manson and trying to make his killings funny, but it wouldn't be to far off to see Manson point out something funny about Mansons persona.

Somewhere during this response I forgot what I was saying so if it sounds like I'm an idiot I appologize I wanted to say so much so it came out this way.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Can you make 9/11 funny? No.
Sure you can.

You could make the best joke ever about it, and many would see only horror in what you say, and many would also see comedy gold. At the same time, few would openly laugh at the joke in fear of getting... y'know. Their faces beaten in.

You can make anything funny. ANYTHING. Just takes skill is all.

i believe that nothing is wrong with laughing at peoples' suffering or, for that matter, killing other people. would i ever do such things? very unlikely... since, if you look at it from a philosophical point of view, there is no morality - something that we, as a race, have created to add to the rule-set of society in order for safety.
These people have their own lives, and are human beings. Taking a life because you're looking at it from a "philosophical point of view" (Which one? It really sounds like you're trying to be more deep and meaningful than you really are) is hardly an justification. I'd say that we're all going the same way in the end, but cutting someone elses life short isn't exactly something you have the right to just decide one day. From a philosophical point of view, of course.

Speaking of dark comedy, I may as well mention I'm a huge lover of it. I love Tim Burton, Jhonen Vasquez, Roman Dirge, whatever. My view is that there's "nothing sacred in comedy". Still, laughing at someone bleeding after a car crash isn't exactly the best thing to do in the situation. I'd say you posted that just to get some replies though, no?

I'm in an oddly mild and serious mood. :(
WHAT HAVE I BECOME

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
when stupid, trivial sh** happens to people, yes, its funny...but i personally believe the TC is ********.

Top Bottom