• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's up with players on "With Anyone"?

spindash

Smash Ace
Wanna know what's funny?

I do it on purpose. lol Whenever I'm on "With anyone" I usually end up in a three/free for all and my mains aren't exactly strong in the area; So I use strong characters like ike haha AETHER
Hahaha! XD You too? I use Game & Watch for the With Anyone matches sometimes, just so I can use the taunt that looks like it's flippin' everyone the bird.

iron blade

Smash Ace
I can work my way around the noob players, but I've just stopped playing that joke mode because of items. Don't you get a pick for your stage and it sometimes does yours? What the hell is up with the items then? I have everything off on no items, and yet not one out of many matches did I once get my item preference. If I get killed in a match, it was by and item or a move spam at high damage because my **** shield never responds, or if it does not nearly quick enough.

Dragonoise

Smash Apprentice
Meh. I usually take With Anyone matches with a grain of salt. I play them when I feel like goofing off. More for my amusement than for a competitive match. But it gets real interesting when a good player shows up in the ranks.

estion11

Smash Apprentice
i tend to play team battle because i encounter decent players more frequently. I do get annoyed with all the Ikes, Sonics, Pits and Snakes just spamming ****. My solution is to single out the most annoying player and after the first match just go after him and completely destroy them with characters that noob players consider to be bad without trying them out for example: peach. The only people ive played online that were any good were a bowser and a lucario.

St.Blasius

Smash Rookie
I have some observations & questions about 'with anyone' after playing for about a week and a half at least a half an hour every evening. Most of these echo what people have already said:

∙Ike is clearly the dominant player. 95% of my matches contain at least one Ike. 2 Ikes isn't that uncommon, and I've played 3 or 4 matches with just me (DK/Luigi/Gannon) and 3 other Ikes. After Ike, is probably Sonic in a distant 2nd, honestly I've seen a pretty varied lineup with the exception of the glut of Ikes.

∙As a general rule, people have no concept of basic defense strategy, or basic attack strategy. Noone grabs (probably rightfully so, grabbing someone is just asking to get HAH!'d, FACLON PUNCH'd, AETHER!'d, PIKA!'d, or any number of other strong, spammable finishers. As far as I can tell, not one person I've seen in over 200 matches even knows that you can grab out of a shield (a very basic counter). A popular tactic is to simply roll backward until you reach the edge of the stage, then fsmash.

∙moves are always spammed to high hell. Moves that have high priority, have greater potential to hit multiple people, or do a lot of damage/knockback are spammed to higher hell. Expect to see moves like Aether, Homing Attack, Brick, Falcon Punch, Angel Ring continually used (someimtes only used) throughout a match. I've seen Ikes not even move during a match, simply spam smashes and B moves and wait for the unsuspecting players to waltz into their attacks. I've played against kirbies who brick, then float up and brick again. Repeat ad infinitum.

∙The best characters to use are fast characters or heavy characters (gogo DK). Heavy characters can take and dish out punishment, and it's pretty easy to score KOs with high-knockback moves. DeDeDe, DK, Ganon, Ike (unfortunately), Charizard, Bowser (although I've yet to see a competent Bowser user thus far) have all proven to be effective. Pick a heavy character, learn their moves & timings, and you're guaranteed to start winning more. Fast characters can evade well, stand at the fringes, deal damage, and move in to steal a kill very effectively. Pit, Cpt. Falcon, Sonic, Wolf, Pikachu, Zamus, & Sheik are all good for this. Fast characters can also quickly dart in and grab items, which brings me to my next point:

∙ITEMS. As far as I can tell (can someone confirm?) you can't set item frequency in a 'with anyone' wi-fi match. The option is there, but it has no effect on the gameplay. This is also true of turning certain items off/on (don't like hammers? too bad). IF you decide to play 'with anyone' wi-fi, be prepared to incorporate items into your gameplay. Obviously, when a smash ball appears, almost everyone will drop everything and frantically do jump attacks to get it, and this can be used to your advantage. DON'T IGNORE ITEMS. Assist trophies will almost always net you a kill, bumpers will always kill if you connect, watch out for smart bombs, hang off of ledges if someone gets a hammer. Some levels have their own items (original mario bros. level comes to mind) so knowing the timing of picking up/throwing items will benefit greatly.

Now for some questions:

∙how does the searching mechanism work? Does it search close to you first? Am I playing people that live near me? I'm curious to how this works.

∙how does the leve select work? It doesn't seem to let me select a stage, but I played with a group of people the other night, where the same level was picked 5 times straight. Highly unlikely if the game picks a random stage for each match.

∙how does the game know when to put in CPU controlled players at the start of a match? Sometimes there is one other player, and I might get a 1v1 match (tight), and another time there will be one other person, and the game puts in 2 CPU characters (WTF). Anyone know how this works?

Tables

Smash Cadet
I've actually kinda had good luck with "With Anyone". Yes, there are way too many Ikes and Lucarios, but they aren't the worst. I did have one memorable match with a Pikaspammer, and another with a Sonic noob, but these have been relatively uncommon for me.

I do love making everyone leave at the same time when I beat them with Game And Watch or "ROB the Gay Robot" (pink ROB).

LANDMASTERED!

Smash Rookie
I go online once in a while and so far, only one battler was a noob, and I mean a noob.......but not to say that this person was not annoying.

Pikachu spaming Thunder (down B) plus got the smash ball for about a good 30 sec and never activated it.

After that, I faced many skillful players and some semi-spammers. You face a noob then well we live with it. They should have as much fun as we do, it is just, we have a little more skills and experience then they do. Hey don't forget when anyone of us started Smash Bros. Games, we were noobs too. But anycase nintendo should have find a way to put players with equal skill level against eachother..........other than friend codes.

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
The 4 players of the match:

-That one player the plays like a pro. Comboes like crazy, uses those few advanced techniques, and more.
-The one n00b who gets killed all the time. Everyone is tempted to go for him or her.
-That one spammer who gets all the kills with powerful spam moves. Camps lke crazy.
-One of the above.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
This is why, when SSBB comes out in europe, mainly play with my brothers and Friends, but I'll occassionly go on it, just for a laugh when I someone who i never play(points at Zelda), And my brothers was around my skill level in melee(Most of the time I won :p), so we should have intense games when It comes out. I knew that with anyone is going to be filled with spammers and Noobs!

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
It would very disheartening to me if I was trying to actually get good and I always ran into noobs and campers, (I personally have a bit of a problem with myself for being a opportunist and camper). Personally I rarely see Ike. I see alot of space animals, Sonics, and Marth. It's is ALWAYS a good thing when there are no transforming/long duration Final Smashers around.

Unfortunantly, my Internet isn't very reliable and my few friends who I play smash with online are really REALLY stupid.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen of with anyone, it hasn't been that impressive, even from a casual standpoint.

I've had people trying to play using the standard ruleset (neutral stage, no items) for a competitive match using their mains every single game and new players who have no idea what they're doing and I can say that only ever come across one person which I would comfortably say was better than me.

The thing that gets me about online is when you're with a certain group and they always pick the same levevls and characters. I know people have their favourite stages and characters, but it gets a tad boring after a few games with the same people and characters. That and when I beat someone's main a few times in a row by a good 4 stock with a random character, the time they beat you by 1 stock or sudden death, they leave immediately and I can just imagine the smugness on their faces from getting the last kill.

Just as an example, I remember one time when I got Peach and I was against a Marth on Battlefield without any items, I thought I was screwed because I've probably totalled 4 hours Peach time since Melee, but I still managed to 3 stock this guy in the 2 minutes without losing a life. And he must have been trying because he was trying to Ken combo me and edgehog when I went to recover and trying to "mindgame" me into coming for me when he was hanging on a ledge, I just stayed put and up tilted his *** when he finally realised I wasn't going to be a moron and rush for him.

Tore' Kong

Smash Rookie
On a mountain overlooking the Pacific Ocean and a
Personally, I like to do team battles on With Anyone over free for all matches. Working with a complete stranger brings really good strategies and great experiences with every fight. I was surprised at some of the things me and a teammate could do without vocal communication (I once had a teammate who would shoot with the ray gun so he/she could push our enemies right into my explosive traps).

Free for all matches are not as fun for me. Most of the players that I go up against over this mode like to fight each other in one big mesh of a group, so that gives me a big chance to drop C4, detonate it, and steal the KO's. It also gives me a big opportunity to get powerful items and rack up damage using projectiles without the risk of getting damaged and/or KO'ed.

I can't even count how many times I have killed someone on free for all due to them picking up a grenade I dropped at the last second. What's worse is that I have even done this on 1 vs 1 matches where I have killed people by doing the most obvious of grenade tricks.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
I just managed to get +8 in a FFA with Sonic and I don't even know the difference between his down and forward B attacks haha.

Admittedly, I did get a final smash, but still :3

Skoox

Smash Cadet
I was doing a Team Battle once, and my partner was a Sonic who basically just used his homing spin the entire time. The enemies were Ice Climbers and Ness. The Ice Climbers spammed their sideb on the bottom of yoshi's island the whole time, while ness sat on the edge and pk-fire'd. People are just stupid.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
I hate those players that choose Sonic and just spam his side taunt, never really doing anything else.
Oh wait. I do that.
Once I had a match against a Pikachu and a Wolf on Pirate Ship (if either of ya'll are reading this, hi!), and just spammed the hell out of side taunt. The Pikachu got a smash ball and continuously circled us while I taunted. Then towards the end the Wolf got the dragoon, aimed for me, and missed me as I side dodged.
Good times.

Looper

Smash Journeyman
i constantly run into games where, if i win pretty well, one of them will choose the same character i use with the same color, then pick on me the entire match next game

seriously, the nerve of some people, why would anyone do this? what on earth are they trying to prove? it seems having fun is a lost concept

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm on a 8 game winning streak. If I didn't get double-teamed in that one match by that AWFUL Bowser and Meta Knight, my Ike would have crushed them. Scrubs can't fight alone, so they fight together, I suppose. Everyone on With Anyone sucks. Except the Lucas player I faced like 2 weeks ago. They were totally boss, and really knew how to use Lucas. They did INCREDIBLE! Beat my Booser by three points (not KO's/kills/lives, POINTS!).

I wonder if I'm facing 10th-time players a lot of the time, lol! XD And I've seen the smash ball on in EVERY MATCH...well...except for like 5 out of probably the mid-thirtyish fights I've done on 'With Anyone'.

PCHU

Smash Lord
People online are just stupid.
I choose Lucas almost every time, and sure I freeze a lot, but I get in a fair share of Usmashes and side smashes.
Even though I play a good Lucas, it doesn't show because there are just too many people.
I freeze up when it happens (pun intended) and I go into dair freeze mode.
That's what I do a good majority of the time, but I try my best to focus on one, knock him away, then get the other one.

By the way, I have PK PHREEZEd a whole bunch, but no one is smart enough to attack the frozen person.
They go for me, and I'm trying to mow through them because my prey is still frozen.
These are the same people who use ROB and repeatedly dair and laser.
The stereotypical Links have come, along with 1 ten thousand Sonics.
It's unbelievable.
I once fought another great Lucas, and during the match, we rack'd up enough KOs for sudden death.
I WON!
But it's because of PK FREEEZE!
I tried Lucario, but there's too big a bandwagon for him, and even though I'm good, I stick with the less heard of Lucas.

AllanT

Smash Apprentice
PCHU, the odds or slim but that match sounds familiar! i fought another lucas on "with anybody" and we both went to sudden death, then the other one beat me with PK freeze!

it would be weird if it were you rofl.

Top Bottom