• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe What's the worst thing in a Mario Game that has ever happened to you?

camerino1

Smash Lord
Worst thing to ever happen to me... probably when my brother saved over my SM64 file with his 3 star file. I was at 107, I think. Another thing was when I was playing MKWii. I was in last place in a race, but everyone was really close, so I got a golden mushroom and sped into first on the last lap with only one turn until the finish line. I got blued, 2 reds, 2 bullets and then I was dropped by a bullet hitting me onto a stationary green. I almost cried.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Worst thing ever in a Mario game? Here's one off the top of my head: those time when you land right just beside the top of a goombas head and die. Another "worst thing ever" would totally be when you have those levels when you just cant make the correct jump and get so frustrated that you never make it across and lose all of your lives. There's a few others but I dont want to name all of them just because Mario gets me frustrated all over.

EDIT: That one bonus stage in super mario sunshine where every platform is a moving block. It wasnt all that hard but I kept on rushing into it out of sheer rage and killed myself half a million times. Another: When my Mario Sunshine froze while saving my progress after getting a bunch of red coins. Also, in Yoshi Topsy Turvy/Universal Gravitation I jept on screwing up while fighting Bowser and tilting myself off of the world. I ragequit that game so many times on numerous levels.

Shadow Mario

Smash Rookie
when my N64 freezes on the congrats screen after getting every star in Super Mario 64. Still says i haven't beaten. FUUUU

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
ummmm, its sopposed to stop at the congrats screen, its not a freeze, as collecting the final bowsers star does not do anything to the game, and you cant save anyway, so thats normal. if the menu says 120 stars then u win!

Popopidopop

Smash Cadet
When my little sister walks on the control wire and my SNES crashes to the floor, and one corner is smashed in :(

Ingame wise, panic attack from my first encounter with the "Rubyplayer"
(the first rugby player you encounter in super mario world totally freaked me out when i was like 5 years old and didnt understand english)
I threw the controler and asked my mom to help me run past.....

And she did!

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Well a long time ago my memory card for gamecube was corrupted.

Although, this has happened more than once for sure.

Mario Sunshine was on a couple of them and i had almost maxed stars on both files so that sucked.

Sully

Smash Cadet
In SM64DS, I got 149 stars just to find out that the one star I was missing was the glitch star >_>

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario Kart 7 Communities; after just one race, you often see players quitting on you. You have to finish the whole GP to keep your points, but if you get disconnected, the whole GP would just be a huge waste.

Slim_X

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4425-1928-1952
I was playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, after doing Perfect Run like hundreds of times I was finally at the last part where rosalina was there by that house, I went to go get a drink I came up my nephew Freaking FELL off the stage!!!!! To this day I have never beat it....

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, after doing Perfect Run like hundreds of times I was finally at the last part where rosalina was there by that house, I went to go get a drink I came up my nephew Freaking FELL off the stage!!!!! To this day I have never beat it....

:phone:
That had to hurt, but it does let you know that it's not over until it's over.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
The worst thing that's happened to me in a Mario game ever... Has to be in SMB1, when I was SOOO tired, and I tried a second attempt at the game after a game over, so naturally I was kind of playing goofy, next thing I know I jump all weird and die at the first goomba.

So stupid!

mood4food77

Smash Hero
mario kart wii

i got knocked off the stage early on a jump so i'm trying to play catch-up

what does the game give me? 13 ****ing thunder clouds in a row

13 ****ING THUNDER CLOUDS!! IN A ROW!!

to this day, that is the reason why i hate that game

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Earlier in this thread I talked about how the first time I played a Mario (Mario Bros 3) game, my father told me the mushrooms hurt you, even though I didn't believe him I didn't get them anyway. Never made it past the first level until I finally GOT the mushroom. Made it all the way to Bowser after that.

Well, after thinking about it - I could probably win the game now without getting a single mushroom.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Mario Kart Wii; difficulty 150cc; Second race; I made a flawless run in the first race. felt good about my chances of winning the second race. The finish line was literally inches in front of me when something eerily similar to the following happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUcuFxjrlQ

I almost quit Mario Kart games forever as a result, until a week later when I would go back to that hell again. I've since gotten the "☆☆☆" rank, but it didn't stop the fact that I had to go through unbelievable hell to do so, and it's all because of that stupid boomerang AI... among other things.

Reika Kitami

Smash Cadet
The last boss of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga/Partners in time took me hours to defeat since I was nub back then and only upgraded HP, making all my fights a battle of attrition :(

Bigglestheman

Smash Apprentice
Playing Mario party 2 with my friend and he ends up getting 3 stars in a turn. After that turn he lands hits a hidden block gets a star, next turn buys a star and then gets another hidden block gets a star, hidden block to another star. He ends up with 9 stars while I have 2 (Got lucky with the
mini-game star he got the other two).
Playing Mario Party 2 with three other friends and, I'm in first place the entire game until the last 5 turns where I get most of my stars stolen and my coins, so I end up with one star and the guy in 4th the whole game gets 1st.

Reika Kitami

Smash Cadet
Wow man that sucks. I guess mario party is just one of those games you can't take too seriously.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wow man that sucks. I guess mario party is just one of those games you can't take too seriously.
Even in Mario Party 9, it can take just one event to change everything. Someone in last place may try to land on a Bowser Space, hoping that Bowser will double his/her Mini Star amount (one of Bowser's events includes taking away half of the player's Mini Stars, but if that very player is in last place, Bowser might double that player's Mini Star amount instead), and if that happens, that would easily ruin the 1st place player's victory dance.

keero16

Smash Rookie
The worst thing that has ever happened to me in a Mario game was fighting that.... rock, ghost boss in Mario Galaxy during the comet that only allowed one HP. Not really a glitch in the game or anything, but it seriously took me 2 hours to finally beat it. I will never forget how much torture that was.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Feeling stupid in Super Mario World when I accidentally mistime a jump and get killed landing with enough momentum to be killed by the wrath of a goomba's face.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Mario Kart Wii; difficulty 150cc; Second race; I made a flawless run in the first race. felt good about my chances of winning the second race. The finish line was literally inches in front of me when something eerily similar to the following happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUcuFxjrlQ

I almost quit Mario Kart games forever as a result, until a week later when I would go back to that hell again. I've since gotten the "☆☆☆" rank, but it didn't stop the fact that I had to go through unbelievable hell to do so, and it's all because of that stupid boomerang AI... among other things.
I feel your pain man. This happened to me so many times.

Jet300

Smash Ace
Black holes in Mario galaxy 1 and 2. And fighting the world 7 boss in new super Mario bros. wii

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
It would have to be on a very long track with at least 5 boxes, which would be like Maple Treeway, Bowser Castle's, etc. There would be potential for it to happen I guess, but you'd have to be... extremely. Extremely. Unlucky, or use hacks. The most I have ever gotten in almost 2 years of consistent playing is 4 in one race. 13 would be pretty impressive to see.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
it just seems like you'd have to be willingly driving around the item boxes where they spawn, collecting a couple of items/using them immediately to rack up that many items period. Not even to mention them all being the same item, which the game is programmed to give to people who aren't in last place. actually, i'm not sure about that last one, maybe someone can confirm/deny

In short, I don't buy it. I feel like even on the longer tracks, you would be so far behind because you would have to be stalling around the item boxes. I just can't picture any other way to get that many items and actually be attempting to race. I'd love to hear if it is feasible though. I'm not a Mario Kart expert, that just jumped out at me.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
When I played Super Mario Sunshine, I was young.

I almost rage quitted when dealing with PHANTAMANTA, the ghost manta that duplicates when hit by water.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Some glitch in the NES Super Mario Bros. where I fell into a bottomless pit while having trouble with the Hammer Bros. Then suddenly the dying theme happened again after a second or 2 from dying from the pit. I lost 2 lives of course...

Top Bottom