• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the point of tripping?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Every game has at least 1 mechanic that's intentionally added to the game that's there just to piss you off.

Tripping is one such mechanic.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
I think they did it to put the possibility of a "combo" in the game that the lack of hit stun removed.
I think that's definitely the case with moves that trip like Luigi's down tilt. I don't know if it was on purpose or not. >.>

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
i guess tripping was made to make combos harder to execute....even though there are no such thing as combos in brawl.

the only way to get rid of it is to hack the game and put the no tripping code in.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Every game has at least 1 mechanic that's intentionally added to the game that's there just to piss you off.

Tripping is one such mechanic.
I actually liked tripping.* At least, I like what it tries to accomplish, which brings me to the answer to this thread's question.

The point of tripping is to stop people from being gay and foxtrotting and dashdancing every time they move. Starting and stopping a run again and again is totally ********, and makes the character look like it's having a seizure while trying to run. I think the coolness of the game is reduced significantly when its characters behave like Special Olympians. That said, they should have made it so it only happens when dashdancing or foxtrotting, or just have made all foxtrotting slower than just running.

*I was given my second set loss at a tournament yesterday because I tripped into an Fsmash when we were both at a high % (135+) on our last stock in game 3 of the best-out-of-3 set.

there are no such thing as combos in brawl.
If you think this is the case, you should probably get off this board and play the game more if you want to get better, and return here when you can consistently beat a level 5 CPU.

DyranMahBoooiii

Smash Cadet
Tripping will one day accomplish a greater good, and bring us all together to show us the meaning of life, the deeper scale in all videogames.

Which is to take out tripping.

In all seriousness, tripping sucks. It either screws you over or saves you, and either way, you or your opponent are going to get frustrated if it's one of the things driving you crazy.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Tripping is one of the, if not the stupidest ideas ever implemented in a video game ever on Earth. It is the main reason why I can never ****ing respect anything Sakurai says or does, until he comes out and says "My bad for being a blithering ****" to the public.

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman
The truth is that every mechanic in game should be adjustable. So if we wanted the game to be more competitive, we should have the OPTION at least to take off tripping or make faster game play or more hit stun. We should have the option for those random type of game play that casual players apparently prefer more. If the creators simply gave us more options, everybody would be happy, casual or competitive.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
Adding gameplay mechanics that are random do help with casual players. In our situation, say someone is facing off against someone WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of their league. The person isn't bad, they're just outclassed. So, they aren't even able to get a single hit on the opponent. But then the enemy trips, right into a smash attack.

Yeah, it sure as hell doesn't win the round, but it's gratifying for him. It's even better if he actually gets a kill out of it.

I know tripping isn't liked, but Sakurai did have reasons for putting it in there. His reasons are honestly good, and it seemed like a good enough idea in concept. To those of you who are complaining that he didn't give the competitive scene enough attention, so what? Yeah, there's a lot of you. But he designed this game for the general population. And more of the general population has a Wii than any other console. More people that aren't real gamers. More people that are more likely to get brawl.
Face it. You're really freaking outnumbered here.

I'd like to take the opportunity to bring up a hypothetical situation. In Team Fortress 2, guns have a 30% chance or so of shooting a critical shot, or a short critical stream. Killing someone with a critical rewards more crits, but I'm not gonna get too far into that.

The reason they added in the crits to Team Fortress 2 was to make the game more fun for casual players. The person that SHOULD win doesn't always come out on top. It' more random and unpredictable.

What I'm asking is this: What if Sakurai had added on "critical hits" in smash? An attack might randomly get more knockback than normal, or something. Would this be a better alternative, or would you still complain about randomness?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
"Brawl has tripping to encourage aerial combat."

That's about the most sound reasoning I've read on the fact. Sakurai repeatedly stated he wanted Brawl to have an emphasis on aerial fighting because (aparently) people really liked that aspect of the last iteration. So whilst things were taken away from grounded movement (dash dancing, the ability to run without fear of tripping), they encouraged players to play in the air (Generally floaty, auto-sweetspotting, multiple air dodges).

The inclusion of tripping fits this reasoning as well. I don't think the creators of a game would intentionally implement a mechanic with the aim of discouraging a competitive scene (Because if that were the case, we wouldn't be able to turn off items and stages). It's just that the implementation of tripping incurs that side effect.

Don't be fooled. This is a fighting game. Two characters face off with the intent of defeating each other, each has a damage bar (non-traditional as it is), and each character is equipped with the means necessary to defeat an opponent.

Tripping wasn't the brightest idea, but I don't think there was any intent behind it in regards to giving the finger the competitive scene.

EDIT:
MK, Dedede and MK all have multiple jumps lol.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Adding gameplay mechanics that are random do help with casual players. In our situation, say someone is facing off against someone WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of their league. The person isn't bad, they're just outclassed. So, they aren't even able to get a single hit on the opponent. But then the enemy trips, right into a smash attack.

Yeah, it sure as hell doesn't win the round, but it's gratifying for him. It's even better if he actually gets a kill out of it.
big ****ing deal. No one cares about fun or gratification. Nor does it help casual players. my little brother who is 8 frowns each time he trips. Not all casual players like tripping, the majority of them find it stupid and unnecessary.

The majority of the time when someone trips, nothing happens. Opponent can't land a smash attack because of distance or the person who tripped cannot ontinue his chasing. Either way it benefits no one.
I know tripping isn't liked, but Sakurai did have reasons for putting it in there. His reasons are honestly good, and it seemed like a good enough idea in concept.
No it doesn't, even the programmers found it questionable, hell they thought it was a glitch when they were going over the game. It was Sakurai who said it should remain. How is it honest? hey lets introduce a random mechanic that offers no benefit to the game.
To those of you who are complaining that he didn't give the competitive scene enough attention, so what? Yeah, there's a lot of you. But he designed this game for the general population. And more of the general population has a Wii than any other console. More people that aren't real gamers. More people that are more likely to get brawl.
Face it. You're really freaking outnumbered here.
No one is arguing that so you're speaking to a wall. The fact of the matter is that the competitive community is upset because Sakurai went out of his way to MAKE the game more casual. Its not as if he said "gee this is good lets not fix it" he said "No, not competitive, I don't want it that way" and specifically went to force people to play it this way.

I'd like to take the opportunity to bring up a hypothetical situation. In Team Fortress 2, guns have a 30% chance or so of shooting a critical shot, or a short critical stream. Killing someone with a critical rewards more crits, but I'm not gonna get too far into that.

The reason they added in the crits to Team Fortress 2 was to make the game more fun for casual players. The person that SHOULD win doesn't always come out on top. It' more random and unpredictable.

What I'm asking is this: What if Sakurai had added on "critical hits" in smash? An attack might randomly get more knockback than normal, or something. Would this be a better alternative, or would you still complain about randomness?
it would be better because it wouldnt hurt the game at all.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
1)big ****ing deal. No one cares about fun or gratification. Nor does it help casual players. my little brother who is 8 frowns each time he trips. Not all casual players like tripping, the majority of them find it stupid and unnecessary.

2)The majority of the time when someone trips, nothing happens. Opponent can't land a smash attack because of distance or the person who tripped cannot ontinue his chasing. Either way it benefits no one.

3)No it doesn't, even the programmers found it questionable, hell they thought it was a glitch when they were going over the game. It was Sakurai who said it should remain. How is it honest? hey lets introduce a random mechanic that offers no benefit to the game.
No one is arguing that so you're speaking to a wall. The fact of the matter is that the competitive community is upset because Sakurai went out of his way to MAKE the game more casual. Its not as if he said "gee this is good lets not fix it" he said "No, not competitive, I don't want it that way" and specifically went to force people to play it this way.

4)it would be better because it wouldnt hurt the game at all.
1)It allows an outclassed person to have a little fun while playing, even if he's getting his but kicked. If you're that much better than them, a trip won't do much to harm your overall play. And of course no one likes it when tripping happens to them, and they may prefer that it be removed instead of happening, but I'm sure they like it when their enemy trips into that attack.

2)Then a majority of the time, it does nothing but teach someone to stay in the air, thus helping out newbies and casual players learn to aerial.

3) Yes, people have said that Sakurai should have thought about the competitive scene when deciding to put it in or not. And if Sakurai didn't go out of his way to try and make the game more casual, it would have remained more competitive. He was trying to make the game more fun. The intention was there. It didn't pan out, so I think he's learned his lesson. Next time he'll probably try a new approach.

4) It wouldn't hurt the game? But people have argued that tripping damages competitive play because people fall into attacks and die. They argue that it hurts competitive play because it's random. Critical hits would be just as random, and would be more directly responsible for killing a person than tripping is. How would it not hurt the game?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Wait, so if you get killed by a random double strong his that takes away from skill, it doesn't hurt the game, but if you get slightly punished from getting hit by tripping, which takes the skill of the other player to see that you tripped and take full advantage of it, then you are hurting the game?

Vyse got it right.

In one artical, I can't remember where, Sakurai said he wanted to make Brawl more air based than land based. Apparently he hated land based gameplay so much, he wants people who play on land to loose.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

aeghrur

Smash Champion
But why take out L-canceling then?
It was in both the predecessors of brawl and it encouraged aerial combat too as it cuts aerials lags.
Sure, you have auto-canceling now, but that doesn't work on every move while L-canceling did.
Idk...

:093:

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
But why take out L-canceling then?
It was in both the predecessors of brawl and it encouraged aerial combat too as it cuts aerials lags.
Sure, you have auto-canceling now, but that doesn't work on every move while L-canceling did.
Idk...
They didn't want it to work on every move, obviously. Kinda like having invulnerability in some moves.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
That just contradicts their aerial game thing. )=<
If you want more people to play aerially, let them L-cancel everything, otherwise your limiting their aerial options.

Slasherx

Smash Ace
I'm guessing is for people who likes to run away.
Anyway it happends randomly (even at the begining of the match)
Just go Shorthop so you don't have to worry about it.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
If you want more people to play aerially, let them L-cancel everything, otherwise your limiting their aerial options.

But I think certain moves are intended to have landing land no matter what. Lets take Sonic's down aerial for example. Everything about that move screams "landing lag." They made sure the moves that were supposed to have landing lag would have it. The others, they let it go by.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
In one artical, I can't remember where, Sakurai said he wanted to make Brawl more air based than land based. Apparently he hated land based gameplay so much, he wants people who play on land to loose.
So he wants us to personally prefer the air?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

You're enhancing them by babying you with auto-cancelling instead of L-cancelling.

Though, saying one thing is better than the other is subjective as well, since I could argue that auto-cancelling makes the usage of aerials more challenging in that you must use them in such a way as to maximise the cancel, rather than being able to cut the frames from a Melee L-cancel at any point in an aerial.

RMMF

Smash Cadet
Sakurai did not want the game played competitively. He loses even with his attempts. Hopefully he isn't successful on the next one.

IKOU

Smash Apprentice
tripping was probably to remove the game's competitive aspect. it ruined the ground game, what was left of dash dancing, and chain grabs

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
tripping makes diddy playable, imo. it also adds a more realistic element to smash... if you fighting with someone and you went to sprint at them... isnt there a chance you could trip?

Top Bottom