• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the point anymore?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
hmm I understand and feel some of your emptyness. I seem to have everything- i'm smart, talented, attractive, accomplished with a college degree among other things, have a job... but a lot of times I just feel like in the long run I'm being *****ed around by the passage of time. There's so many things I want to get done and there is no way I'll ever be able to do all of them so I really have to pick my priorites right. At night I feel empty. Just numb like I'm doing the same **** everyday and jaded.

Do you have a significant other? Having someone who loves you will probably add meaning to your life. I think this might be the missing link for me, but I'm single by absolute choice (I chose to be single than be in a relationship with fail guys.) There's many people who feel like you- it's normal and we have to learn to live with it.

"Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow"

lol that was a FFX quote from Auron. I think that can apply here. I try to keep myself busy with projects- may it be arranging a new song on youtube, exercising, mastering or improving a character I play in a fighting game, or spending time with a family member. That helps keep me distracted, but even so I feel void sometimes myself. I hope you find something to help you.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I kinda live for Juri Han's feet. :3

I just live to live. Don't need a reason. Just seems a better place to be than a realm of black. of course, that is an opinion. Maybe you prefer the nothingness.

Then again, there is no Juri Han's feet for me to worship. :D

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Nite, you won't know if what lies ahead will be better or worse than you're current situation. Ever. So don't act like you do know. Anything people tell you about "life after" a certain number of years is a generalization that you yourself don't have to believe in.

You could be waiting until you're !@#$ing ninety years old before you start having the best times of your life, and find that all that BULL!@#$ you put up with the years before was well worth the wait, and hell, you might have some good times in between now and then. NO ONE said everything is going to be bad.

I hope you do find happiness soon, and I wish you enough.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You guys should watch Peaceful Warrior.. it talks about that emptiness of our lives and about love. It's freaking awesome movie.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Nite, why do you assume what these people say is the gospel?

Die now and you might have missed the greatest part of your life.

camerino1

Smash Lord
We can't have any hope of helping without specific information on what's going on with you... so I'm not sure what to say other then, I haven't had the greatest life either, but everyone but 1 person can say that.

So, I had a blog awhile ago about my story with depression, but i'm just wondering now... What's the point of continuing? People say the best times of your life is your childhood, and teenage years. Well, My childhood sucked, and Teenage years aren't any better. I'm always told it goes all downhill after highschool. Starting with taxes, jobs, etc. So, if i'm unhappy now, in the so called, "best times of my life", then why should I suffer when i'm older?
Haha! There is no point. At least in my opinion. There is absolutely no point in life. However, I honestly think you can make up a reason. Any reason will do. The problem is that you are the one that has to come up with that reason. What can you dedicate yourself to trying to achieve?

I enjoy a good story, movie, book, video game, TV show, oral narration, etc. Stuff along those lines. However, in order to do that I need to fill in some other basic things like having money to get ahold of them. Time to enjoy it, people to enjoy it with, and other things. So while there will be pain along the way, I think its worth taking it if I can try to achieve my goal.

Pick a goal, then try to live that goal.
Believe in the goal and you find something worth continuning.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
*sigh* Skimmed through some of the replies some are good and some are just blantent bashing that wouldn't even fly in other parts of the boards.

Depression is a serious problem, and I can relate a little to your situation. I also had a miserable childhood and my teenage years only got worse.

But when I found this forum the timing was good right when brawl was just about to come out and that whole clan thing started up again and was going strong.

Found some friends that I still talk to long after I haven't really done much with Brawl in New Horizon, a clan led by Heartz and/or Devil will Cry, and it passed or whatever a few times but that's beside the point. lol

Those times I had in that clan were the best parts of my non adult life, it kept life if not on the upbeat side, at least not down in the abyss with everything else going on. Some of them have kinda dissapeared off the radar, and others have moved on to bigger and better things, either here or in the real world.

But some of them I'm good friends with still even today.

Connections are part of what make life worth living. Being around or interacting with people that keep you up and going. In a small part help give you a reason to live. They shouldn't be your only reason that's not what I'm saying at al.

But it's a start. Find something in your life, here there or elsewhere that makes you want to get out of bed the next day.

For me, when I was younger, as my IRL friends didn't have cell phones most of them and I wasn't allowed to have one at the time. My friends on here were my lifeline to the outside world.

Friends aren't your life and shouldn't be all you have, but good ones help get you through yours alot smoother ^^;

And don't buy all that crap that life after school is horrible. It's not lol especially in your case because it doesn't sound like you much like school. lol

Jobs are a part of life but depending on what you do it can be fun too. And alot can happen at work. I've made alot of irl friends at my work, both people that work with me and people that just frequent there. It keeps it tolerable at worst and interesting and fun at best lol

Though fast food service is a ***** I'd reccomend not applying there only as a least resort lol My sis hates it.

There's more I wanted to say but I'm out of time. I usually don't involve myself with the boards much anymore but this struck a nerve or soemthing for some reason. Let me know if anything I said clicks with you.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Thankyou everyone who had something nice to actually say :) Especially Super Sonic. Solid advice with some up beat words.

<3 the community.

This can be locked if anyone wants to for whatever reason...

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
okay?
you're asking for real life advice from a bunch of people on the internet you've never met and really don't care because ... herp derp, they've never met you. and then you act annoyed when people point out the obvious?
talk to your friends or parents or counselors about this.
everyone struggles with hardships in their life, the difference is not everyone brings it up on a "blogging forum".
Some people have a really hard time talking to others in person about their problems. For two years I talked to people on an online forum about my issues and it did help me a bit. The people on here can give help even it's just in writing. It's not like just because they're posting their helpful comments on the internet it makes those comments useless.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
The instant you realize you can do better than ask people you don't know without some kind of professional talent for this kind of ****, the better you'll do. Take baby steps, like, not posting this here, and then uh, actually getting help!

And then actually getting help! Just to make sure you got that!

Cemetery

Smash Apprentice
I've been contemplating suicide for a while. Smoked pot, so now I feel a bit more relaxed and level headed.

Keep pushing another day forward, life has sorrow- but it also has beauty. Learn to embrace both.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Man, as much as I'd love to delve into relaxation via other means, we can't, Skully.

Also, there's no shame in talking to people online, I used to, and occasionally still do, talk to Teran about everything.

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
life is totally what you make it man. "**** happens", so take it in stride and make some lemonade. you will be a better man for it. i don't say this maliciously, but you can choose either to wallow in self-pity, or do something about it and trust in your own ability to shape your future and take your life into your two hands. i'm sure many (if not all) of us have been to that breaking point before. the difference is whether you let that pin you down and let it become the backdrop for your life, or that you do something about it and look back in a couple years with a sense of accomplishment over surmounting your demons?

some pointers:
- definitely invest the time in getting to know someone else better than you know yourself. you want someone you can call at 4 in the morning and expect that person to pick up because you need to spill some heavy ****. someone that can see through all your bs (we all bs) to your core. there is comfort and security in that.

- go out to local smash events and as many tournies as you can! humans are intrinsically social creatures and you'll run into lots of cool people and over time develop friendships.

- get a girlfriend. this will radically reshape your outlook on everything haha.

i realize it might be a little hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now but you can definitely do this. if i ever run into you at a tourney or something we will definitely chill and have some beers.

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
op check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqummot83IE

the video's jeff schaeffer, one of the best street fighter 2 players of all time, giving some life advice off the cuff. there are lots of subliminal parallels he draws between life and fighting games so i thought you might get something out of it

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
@§witch. Because im ugly and unloved :/

@xRisingForce. Good video, I saw that before, helps a wee bit. Thanks.

@MTKO. I don't know who Tioga is :/ I live in Hershey

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
@§witch. Because im ugly and unloved :/

@xRisingForce. Good video, I saw that before, helps a wee bit. Thanks.

@MTKO. I don't know who Tioga is :/ I live in Hershey
No where near you then, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And for the most part if you don't like how you look, you can change it depending on what your issue is.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
stop being a *****

I hope all the nice advice you're getting from this thread makes you feel better, but words typed over to you on a forum isn't going to change your view on life. When you decide to stop *****ing, man up, and figure out what you want to do in life, things will look a lot better.
Why are people such *******s? Sigh.

You need to find out what you want to live for, like (I think) El Nino said. People can mention things that help them get through but in the end it's up to you to decide. And don't say nothing, because that's and untrue.

If you are asking for advice that other people can give, then I'd say just live for the moment. That's what I do and I'm pretty happy. I have ideas for the future but generally I take things how they come and deal with them when they pop up. Try to make the best out of every situation you find yourself in.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Yes, Live for the moment, that is the advice I hear a lot, but what if the moment sucks??? Nothing glorious is thrown in my direction, I have to work my *** off for anything that is considered decent.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Like I said in the last line, make the best out of whatever situation you find yourself in. Yeah sometimes **** sucks but hey that's life. If you have to work your *** off to get decent stuff then I say work your *** off, but that's just me.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Everybody has an answer, but not just any answer, the answer. If you think about it it's truly amazing the sheer number of people that have the officially authorized monopoly on truth. This fact alone highlights the dissonance of absolute values and the misguided nature of idealism. What quantitative value would you place on your life? A life insurance corporation could concoct an exact dollar amount. But even that figure may be inflated, the chemical compounds that make up your body are only worth a few cents. But isn't life more valuable than gold, oil or other commodities? Think again.

Which is cheaper to create? Human life, or an ounce of gold? Gold can actually be synthesized in a cyclotron, but the cost is astronomical. However, human life or any life can be created virtually for free. Planet Earth is infested with perpetual, self-replicators, but the amount of platinum, for example, is finite. This self-righteous confidence manifests itself as an unlimited capacity for egoistic narcissism and self-magnification. Human arrogance conveniently assumes itself the apex of evolution yet in reality the corporeal being is merely a disposable vehicle for the reproduction of genetic material, not the other way around! Perhaps the most profound realization of the 20th century remains mostly unknown for it is the genes that are the master and not the individual human created by them.

This helps explain why many human cravings are harmful to the self, but profitable to the genes, and the prevalence of certain self-destructive behaviors. And remarkably, this is the true solution to the classic, existential dilemma "why life is just death", or as John Lennon once put it, "Why in the world are we here? Surely not to live in pain and fear," yet, apparently, we are! The human body isn't programmed for pain-free longevity, just long enough to reproduce physically, and to perpetuate learned skills, which is why doctors will never run out of business. The biological boss may be too small to see, but it's far too powerful to ignore.

If human value could be measured outside the skewed perspective of the collective ego, it might look something like this; if only one individual existed on planet Earth, they would be the most important human. If two people existed, their individual significance would be divided in half (1/2). If six thousand million people existed on Earth, what would the individual significance of each one be? A simple equation shows the value as the fractional percentage of the whole population plus any incidental, conjectural additives from education, training, intelligence etc.

What is your existence worth? Lets draw a formula, shall we. 1/p + (E/p) = individual human value. p = current world population, and E = years of education, training, work experience. So, if I'm right, in a world of six billion people, your uneducated mass is 1/6000000000 or 1.67 x 10^-10 of that whole, correct? Your significance would then be 0.0000000167%. With a 12 year education your significance rockets upward to a factor of 2.167 x 10^-9 or 0.0000002167%.

So, it's clear that overpopulation dramatically diminishes the value of human life. And iis it any wonder religion is so popular and why human nature so desperately seeks meaning and purpose even in the most ridiculous places? Why do so many people hide behind money fooling only themselves into thinking that wealth gives them significance? Isn't it painfully obvious why society invents artificial concepts of justice, morality, and ethics? The brutality and utter irrationality of the animal world is just outside the rusty gates of our crumbling civilization. But isn't it comforting to know that as long as we're inside we have the warming sensation of fairness, equality and justice for all (that can afford it anyway)?

Self-delusion seems to be a defining quality of human behavior. Lies maintain our flimsy order, we find consolation in myths like 'what we do has significance' and 'God punishes the wicked'. The constant avalanche of empirical evidence to the contrary simply gets relegated to the third class bureau of irrational philosophers.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I'm just gonna say this again.

"The instant you realize you can do better than ask people you don't know without some kind of professional talent for this kind of ****, the better you'll do. Take baby steps, like, not posting this here, and then uh, actually getting help!

And then actually getting help! Just to make sure you got that!"

That last part is pretty important!

Top Bottom