• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the funniest thing somebody has said to you about Smash?

PowerPuffPlayer

Smash Apprentice
The funniest conversation with a teenager at school about smash bros.
Me: Hey guys have you played Super Smash Bros for 3ds and Wii U yet?
Random Teen: Dude, Smash bros is a lame fighting game full of girly f*** childish characters.
Me: It is a great fighting game, have you seen the fans and the memes?
Random Teen: Alright smart***, whats your most favorite and most played character.
Me: ...Jigglypuff...

*everyone laughs*

:4jigglypuff:The End:4jigglypuff:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The funniest conversation with a teenager at school about smash bros.
Me: Hey guys have you played Super Smash Bros for 3ds and Wii U yet?
Random Teen: Dude, Smash bros is a lame fighting game full of girly f*** childish characters.
Me: It is a great fighting game, have you seen the fans and the memes?
Random Teen: Alright smart***, whats your most favorite and most played character.
Me: ...Jigglypuff...

*everyone laughs*

:4jigglypuff:The End:4jigglypuff:
You couldn't have lied? Or at least elaborated on why?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Honesty is the best policy, Disney Jr. taught me that lesson lol.
But seriously, even if I lied it would have ended badly anyway.
My second point still stands, you could've said something along the lines of "I like her because she has a fantastic air game with tons of aerial mobility making her as fast as characters like Sonic in the air. She also has a great edgeguarding game allowing her to gimp other characters recoveries with ease etc etc"

Go all smash nerd on him

And even then you mus have to have a secondary that isn't so...y'know...Jigglypuff

Last edited:

PowerPuffPlayer

Smash Apprentice
My second point still stands, you could've said something along the lines of "I like her because she has a fantastic air game with tons of aerial mobility making her as fast as characters like Sonic in the air. She also has a great edgeguarding game allowing her to gimp other characters recoveries with ease etc etc"

Go all smash nerd on him
If you knew this guy you would understand why it wouldn't of worked. This guy (don't know his name) doesn't understand what things we all know on this forum. He has never played a unique game (Only COD and GTA) and wont understand what air game means. He doesn't know what Combo, jab lock, or even aerial means in a fighting game. So if I used smash logic against him he wouldn't understand and only use against me what he knows.. that I use Jigglypuff, a "girly" character.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
If you knew this guy you would understand why it wouldn't of worked. This guy (don't know his name) doesn't understand what things we all know on this forum. He has never played a unique game (Only COD and GTA) and wont understand what air game means. He doesn't know what Combo, jab lock, or even aerial means in a fighting game. So if I used smash logic against him he wouldn't understand and only use against me what he knows.. that I use Jigglypuff, a "girly" character.
Yes but he seems to be the type of person who thinks that smash is a mindless button masher with no depth. If you went in on his like that the amount of complexity will probably just confuse him.

If he still goes with the Jigglypuff excuse you could've just laughed about the fact that he's probably never played a complex fighting game before

Last edited:

PowerPuffPlayer

Smash Apprentice
Yes but he seems to be the type of person who thinks that smash is a mindless button masher with no depth. If you went in on his like that the amount of complexity will probably just confuse him.

If he still goes with the Jigglypuff excuse you could've just laughed about the fact that he's probably never played a complex fighting game before
Thanks for the comments and the advise. Next time some kid talks smack about SSB I will use that advise you gave me. Thank you. :b:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
This thread makes my salty side smile.
"Nintendo is gay! They should have Smash Bros on the Xbox instead" - A youtube comment I remember seeing back in 2008 that I still remember to this day.
"This game is broken. Little Mac is too overpowered" - a friend of mine who literally just started playing the game, and has never even fought Little Mac before.

Last edited:

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
"Melee is so slow"
"No one wants Mewtwo back"/"Everyone loves Lucario more"
"You don't play with the Smash Ball on? What a noob."
"Items would balance tiers"
"Little Mac's so broken, he has a final smash without a smash ball!"
"Goku should have been added to Smash already"
"No one can beat us at Smash" -Team gets demolished- "That only happened because you used (insert character name here)"
"Who's this chick?" -Points at Marth-
"Jigglypuff is so worthless"
"Smash is such a kids game why don't you play (INSERT GENERIC GAME HERE)"
Not necessarily about Smash but "Microsoft should just buy Nintendo"
"I can beat anyone at Melee"
"Stop dodging/hitting me"
"Who plays peach?"
"Diddy Kong is too slow"
"Smash can't be played competitively"
"Smash Bros is the easiest game ever"

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"Jumpman should be on the roster"
He already is. He's called Mario.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
"SSB4 has been ruined by microtransactions."

I practically laughed all the way to Final Destination when I read this! For reference:

"Microtransaction is a business model where users can purchase virtual goods via micropayments. Microtransactions are often used in free-to-play games to provide a revenue source for the developers." -Wikipedia
(Example: paying 2 bucks to instantaneously spawn a Home-Run Bat)

Is there anything like that in this game? No? Ok. The only things extra anyone will pay for Sm4sh are DLC (and to a lesser extent, amiibo) and those don't hinder the game at all (unless Sakurai actually made a specific Challenge or mode shoehorning it, which is crossing the line) and are usually done right like how Borderlands does DLC.

Unless the guy behind the quote actually meant DLC ruining SSB4 (which is far from the truth as well), he obviously does not know what microtransactions are lol!

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
":rosalina: is the most broken character in this game!" -a friend of mine who wants to be good but only plays FG (and also like never plays smash Kappa)

":4zss: is op" -after i won a single elim tourney with her and three stocked someone who'd never played sm4sh

"this girl (:4palutena:) needs to put a shirt on" -my girlfriend

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
":4link: is OP cuz projectiles"
":4ganondorf: is OP cuz he's really strong"
":4falcon: is OP cuz he's fast AND strong"
All from the same guy.
Git Gud is all I can say really.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
"Ganondorf is the best character in Smash 4." - Random guy at a local tournament
"Smash is like Street Fighter with Nintendo characters" - Random GameStop employee to a customer (in front of me)
"Smash Bros is Nintendo's version of Playstation All Star" - Random GameStop employee to a customer

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
It's funny because I've never heard of "Smash Bros" and "Street Fighter" uttered in the same sentence. Wait a minute. If Ryu actually becomes playable DLC...and Mega Man is already in SSB4...

Capcom X Nintendo confirmed.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
My brother after playing the Roy DLC in Smash 4:

"Roy is cool, his moveset is just sword strike/sword strike/sword strike but he's fun."
"I believed Roy was a female in Melee."

The former sounds funny in a kind of cute way, and the later... yeah, I've heard stories of people dismissing Marth as a female in Melee, but I believe I've never heard about if for Roy before. (I don't know if he believed the same for Marth)

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
People who say: "I'm so good at smash bros!" but just do specials and roll everywhere, it gets me every time.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
So I kinda beat up people in my school and they talk to me about smash;
"I JUST 3 STOCKED A LEVEL 5 BOT! YES!"
"Villager is overpowered."
"My for glory winrate just hit 48!"
"Do you play anyone else"
"Why isnt green hill zone a legal stage??"
"Falcon Punch is my favorite move. It's so quick and has great range."
"Charizard needs a nerf on his down air. Why does it kill at 20?"
"Mario is over powered. He can uptilt a lot of people until 50%."
*sigh*

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
"They will have to ban this guy."
My dad, talking about Player 7, the best Smash 4 player on Brazil. He won every single tournament he entered, and my dad told me to ban him to let somebody else win.

TheKingofKoopas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bowser5566
3DS FC
0001-3508-1615
This one is gonna need some backstory.
A student-run club at my school decided it would be a good idea to run a Smash Bros tournament, and a lot of people were hyped. The problem was, they were not allowed to accept Wii Us from contestants, and no one in the club had a Wii U, so they went with Brawl. I'm pretty much trash at the other games since I put all of my time into Wii U, but I was pressured into doing it anyway.

Apparently, my friend and I were known around the school for being the best Smash Bros players, which I have to say is bullcrap because at the time, I could've named a few people who beat me on a regular basis that just don't play in school. Even though the rules were really crappy (all stages, all items, etc. like it was 100% clear this club had never seen a competitive smash game before), the Smash Ball pretty much decided who was winning, AND we were playing a different game than I'm used to, people were still on my case for losing in the first few rounds.

So hearing people say "but brawl and the new one are pretty much the same right???" and "items make it more fun" just make me want to flip a table.

eviljoeybonkers

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eviljoeybonkers
3DS FC
4897-6248-0097
One thread on IGN said that Meta Knight was not OP in Brawl and that Mario is the best character in the game. I couldn't stop laughing.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
"Brawl is the worst game ever." Honestly, I liked Brawl, dare I say I like it slightly more than Melee in a couple of ways.

"Smash 4 has the worst single player in any Smash game." I'll agree that Smash 4's single player isn't the best, but I would rather play Smash Tour than Subspace. That story mode was atrocious.

"Rosalina is balanced." I have a friend who's a Rosalina main, but he's a biased fool if he thinks Rosalina is balanced. If Luma was toned down and made Rosalina weaker without it, then Rosalina would be balanced.

"Smash 4 will not have a good tournament scene." Things aren't too great in the tournament realm of Smash 4 now, but that doesn't mean it won't get better. I'll give the meta game a year or so and maybe we'll get better results.

"Melee has bugs that tournament players exploit." Learning that stuff like wavedashing was intentional, they aren't bugs.

"Melee or bust." I don't think I have to say much about this one. If you prefer Melee over the other games, that's cool, but don't act like every person who prefers other games are stupid and suck at Smash Bros.

"Smash 4 is perfect the way it is." While I love Smash 4 enough to make it one of my favorite games, I still want to see some changes like having a better online infrastructure (take a page out of Splatoon and add ranked battles), nerf the characters that are overpowered and buff the characters that need buffs, add a custom move shop so getting custom moves won't be a pain anymore, and balance defensive options and offensive options.

Sailor Mercury

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mercury813
"Smash is not a fighting game."
To which I replied.."So what do you do on the game then? Dance?"

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
"what's does jigglypuff's down b even do? it's so stupid you just fall asleep"

-me, picking up jp in melee for the first time

"....oh.

...ooohhh.....

....OH..."

-when I found out what it did

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
":4link: is OP cuz projectiles"
":4ganondorf: is OP cuz he's really strong"
":4falcon: is OP cuz he's fast AND strong"
All from the same guy.
Git Gud is all I can say really.
Yeah, I think I know who that is.

Also, from the same guy,
"I don't care about the neutral"

Last edited:

SpiritofSpeed

Smash Cadet
"Smash Bros? Isn't that the fighting game with a bunch of cartoon characters?"
- A guy at a gaming meetup a while ago. Wonder if he thought I was talking about Cartoon Network Punch Time.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
"The 3DS version is for manchildren who can't wait for the Wii U version"
Then he ends up buying the 3DS version anyways

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
"Why are you using a game cube controller when the Wii U Pro is better and is wireless".
Actually the Pro Controller is amazing. I think they're both good, though.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite quotes:

"Nobody actually likes Smash. We're just obligated to."

"YOSHI IS TOO OP OMFG NOoBS TAHT US E HIM R JSUT USING HIM FOR EASY ****ING WIN!!1!!11 YOSHI SHOOD BE BAN FROM TORNIMENT AHHHH!!!1!" - random Youtube comment

"All Smash is is mashing buttons."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Smash is a GAY game"

and this was said by somebody who claims to be 23, by the way

Top Bottom