• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
In theory, no. You should always power-shield so it's a pointless technical barrier.
In practice, yes. The difficulty of power-shielding means that you can only do it in certain situations, making it effectively different to standard shielding.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
It's the same deal with l canceling. Actually it's not. There are reasons not to attempt an l cancel. Are you familiar with edge canceling? Lcanceling after sliding off an edge will kill you.
Also there would be no reason to powershield >grab since you could just punish with a kill move or whatever would yield the most percent.

:phone:

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Actually, that'll only happen if you time the l-cancel poorly anyway.
You are meant to press L/R/Z slightly before you touch the ground; and the edge cancel only happens after you've touched the ground.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Or you could just light press l. I'm really sorry, now did you say you want powershield removed or lcanceling brought back?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Power shielding is nothing like l canceling. There's an actual risk/reward thing going on with power shielding, shield pressure exists in Melee and it's not uncommon for someone to jump at an enemy to bait out the shield and then punish that with a grab or something.

Saying one should always powershield is like saying someone should always dragon punch when someone jumps at you, sure I guess that's true but by making it an input there is an actual element of predicting the opponent's moves and whatnot.

Can't believe we're going on about ****ing power shielding again, this community makes me weep.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Why shouldn't you dp someone who jumps in?

@ grim listen buddy, I thought we agreed since both powershielding and lcanceling are both "arbitrary" skill barriers they should be removed. I m not missing the point on purpose to screw with you, you're just not being consistent.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
. . . . . . .
Well this thread went down the drain real quick.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Yeah, normally the the thread is locked, and I have an infraction by now.... What gives?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
A staple of these threads is it's quick devolution to **** slinging. And this thread doesn't seem to separate itself from that trope.

I will admit, I partook of some of those threads back in 09-10, but it got old after a while. Especially when mods were handing infractions out like candy and quickly closing threads.I never got to see a thread fully go through the motions unless it was on /v/.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't know. If Smash 4 ends up being even more controversial than Brawl for whatever reason (that'd be pretty hard to pull off considering so of the questionable and bad design decisions in brawl), then Melee vs. brawl arguments would probably continue. There just might be another smash game getting mixed into the mess.

hopefully Smash 4 won't be so polarizing though.
Considering Smash 4 is said to be going in a different direction, there's a strong chance that it might be so polarizing that you'd be comparing the first three Smash games all together to it.

you support the removal of lcanceling for the same reasons if I'm not mistaken

Except that power shield theory is flawed. As Falcon mentioned, there is a risk and reward to power shielding thanks to there being startup and recovery frames on shields (should this be the case?). The theory is like saying you should always block low in a 2D Fighter which everyone that plays them can tell you that's not true.

Why shouldn't you dp someone who jumps in?
This is an easy one. Let's say Juri goes in with her dive kick that's unsafe on block. Ryu could DP Juri while she's in the air, but he loses a lot of damage potential by choosing to antiair her instead instead of doing a DPxxFADC Ultra.

That's just a basic example of what you wouldn't want to DP as an antiair. Of course, this depends on the scenario and the matchup.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I have been wanting more cutscenes in my fighting games.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Actually, questions like "Who the **** cares?" or statements like "Nobody cares" are just silly. Of course there will be those stupid people who care, how dare you have that much faith in humanity.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Shut it Holder before I dress you up and lock you in my basement.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
All right, everyone has had their fun. I didn't want to lock the poor guy's thread, but it's clear that this is just going to get worse.

Consider this a warning for everyone. Infractions will be fast and free henceforth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom