• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the Deal With Pokemon?

acekidgravity

Smash Cadet
Pokemon is clearly being ignored by Sakurai and I am very curious as to why that is. With the recent DDD and Zelda reveals we can pretty clearly see that Sakurai is releasing a veteran with most Japanese release dates and yet one of the most represented series in Smash snuck by their big release date with only a hint of a Xerneas Pokeball/Stage. We have hardly seen any screenshots of Pikachu, he's definitely one of the leastrepresented characters in the daily pictures. Heck, Pokeballs didn't even get an official picture with their reveal, they're just being deflected in the Rosalina video.
Even as we continue to get Assist Trophy reveals we don't know a single Pokeball Polemon.My main point here is that Pokemon characters, stages, and Pokeballs are some of the most memorable and beloved content in Smash Bros and Sakurai hasn't shown any love towards them at all. So what gives?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's rumored that Game Freak is keeping Sakurai on a leash.

That may be your answer.

acekidgravity

Smash Cadet
It's rumored that Game Freak is keeping Sakurai on a leash.

That may be your answer.
That would make a lot of sense. I bet he's pretty frustrated if that is the case. If so, do you think the game might ship without revealing certain characters or Pokeballs because Game Freak is making the decisions? I can't remember if the Smash Dojo revealed all the Pokeball Pokemon or not.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That would make a lot of sense. I bet he's pretty frustrated if that is the case. If so, do you think the game might ship without revealing certain characters or Pokeballs because Game Freak is making the decisions? I can't remember if the Smash Dojo revealed all the Pokeball Pokemon or not.
It didn't.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
That's an interesting point. We didn't get a pokemon reveal to coincide with the release of XY.

Maybe Sakurai's really shaking up the roster of playble mons. He probably could've showed off Jigglypuff, but really, Jigs doesn't inspire a lot of hype.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Well, GameFreak was the people who told Sakurai who to add from Pokémon in Melee and Brawl, I don't expect it to be much different this time around.

@ Vann Accessible Vann Accessible ;

Well you must not forget Xerneas (The blue fairy Pokémon).

acekidgravity

Smash Cadet
When do you guys think we will see Pokemon character reveals then? Will it be like Marth where it's almost random or do you think Gamefreak has something planned?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When do you guys think we will see Pokemon character reveals then? Will it be like Marth where it's almost random or do you think Gamefreak has something planned?
I'm gonna say....

Either Pokemon Bank or a random reveal.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Jigglypuff isn't hype-worthy enough, and Sakurai probably wants to troll us as we continue to debate over her inclusion.
Lucario and Mewtwo aren't exactly high-priority characters in the world of Nintendo, so they'll be revealed later if they're in the game.
Pokémon Trainer has been cut, is significantly changed, or hasn't been completed yet.
There is no Pokémon newcomer, so there was no reason to plug a reveal for X/Y's release.

Just a guess.

Staarih

Smash Master
I believe it's a GameFreak thing, but I wish we'd get something Pokémon related soon. I don't see why Jigglypuff, for example, couldn't be revealed, since she is basically a given being in all of the games so far (so she's expected), but wouldn't create a lot of hype - for the hype, they have Mewtwo and/or some other newcomer, and also Lucario/PT to some extent. So in my eyes it would basically be the same just to show her haha. Unless, of course, Sakurai won't show any secret/unlockable characters before release, but I'm still not entirely sure what the deal really is starter character- and secret character-wise...

But yeah, the release day of X/Y was a missed opportunity (I guess Xerneas is better than nothing though) and now it's hard to say when the Pokémon-characters are to be revealed. I guess there could be some (spin off-) games coming out later this year but we'll see. I'm thinking Pokémon Bank may still be an option: if they were to give us a new date as to when it's available again, Sakurai could maybe be able to schedule some Pokémon-related daily pic to tie in with it, maybe not a character reveal but even a Pokéball Pokémon would do.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Game Freak are the same idiots that decided for Pichu to be in Melee...so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I too am thinking that Game Freak is being very strict with Pokemon-related reveals. If anything, the company probably won't allow Sakurai to reveal any more Pokemon contents until the next E3; this means quite a long wait for us to know Mewtwo's fate, along with the fate of the other Pokemon vets.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Game Freak are the same idiots that decided for Pichu to be in Melee...so it wouldn't surprise me at all.
The clone characters in Melee were added late in the development to expand the roster's size. Sakurai has stated that he had ideas for a character, but dropped it in favor of including 6 clone characters, which took the same development time as it would take to make a character from scratch.

With this in mind, Pichu was a logical choice to model after Pikachu.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Characters are usually revealed near games to promote hype. But if there are two Nintendo games that almost never need promotion, it's Pokemon and Mario. That's why we saw no Pokemon reveal for X and Y, and Rosalina only came way after Mario 3d World's release.

Or maybe GameFreak doesn't want him to reveal anything.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I asked the same question last night after D3's reveal.

It's strange when you realize the Mario franchise has had 5 reps revealed already while the Pokemon series is still stuck at Pikachu only.

Wouldn't be surprised to know GameFreak is behind this.

D

Deleted member

Didn't Sakurai say that getting Pokemon is as hard as getting 3rd party reps? It doesn't affect too much about which Pokemon are playable, but it does show how strict Game Freak is. I guess that is why Sakurai hasn't been showing any playable Pokemon characters yet other than Pikachu.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I personally believe that during the release of X/Y, none of the reps were deemed fit to be revealed.

To further elaborate, I think that the PKMN Trainer was not ready by the X/Y reveal and possibly still not ready due to graphical problems that Sakurai mentioned.

Jiggs is just not hype enough and a Pokemon that Game Freak did not want representing their release.

Which brings me to Lucario and Mewtwo who would both create the hype in their own way. However, it's entirely possible that Game Freak is waiting for different time to make the reveal. There are many factors as to why but Game Freak didn't want them to be revealed.

Same goes with potential newcomers such as Blaziken, Zoroark, etc (....Hawlucha)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Mewtwo is coming back, it's possible that it's not only getting a makeover, but a mega evolution as well.

Mega Mewtwo Y evolves into battle!

Morbi

Scavenger
Pokemon is clearly being ignored by Sakurai and I am very curious as to why that is. With the recent DDD and Zelda reveals we can pretty clearly see that Sakurai is releasing a veteran with most Japanese release dates and yet one of the most represented series in Smash snuck by their big release date with only a hint of a Xerneas Pokeball/Stage. We have hardly seen any screenshots of Pikachu, he's definitely one of the leastrepresented characters in the daily pictures. Heck, Pokeballs didn't even get an official picture with their reveal, they're just being deflected in the Rosalina video.
Even as we continue to get Assist Trophy reveals we don't know a single Pokeball Polemon.My main point here is that Pokemon characters, stages, and Pokeballs are some of the most memorable and beloved content in Smash Bros and Sakurai hasn't shown any love towards them at all. So what gives?
I would not worry about Pokemon, at all. One is the most anticipated newcomer, highly requested in all relevant regions, and prevalent in promotion. This is the only character that I would truly considered "a lock" or "shoe-in" and I am fairly unbiased. He is a veteran, one that was supposed to make it in Brawl, one that was planned for Smash 64. Mewtwo literally has NOTHING going against him. He wasn't even that prominent during pre-Brawl and he was still the most finished character that didn't make it on the disc. Arguably if it wasn't for Sonic, he would have been playable in the game, in which case, he would still be considered an obvious return.

The other was a member of the original 12, still fairly popular in Japan. Her new typing doesn't do much in terms of innovation, but it does give her a new found relevance that wasn't overt in pre-Brawl; where she still made the cut over other prominent characters. She is one of the most easy characters to develop in the game, and one of the most unique (shield break, rest, sing). Many feel as though she might be cut; however, I disagree with this fallacious notion. At this point, she is just as much of a main-stay as Ness. There are no other ideal Pokemon to replace her aside from Meowth. It will be her inherent iconic nature and innate function of serving as a popular veteran for 15 years that dictate her fate.

Lucario is one of the most iconic and popular Pokemon with a unique mechanic. I am not going to lie and say that I am completely positive that he will return, but there isn't much of a plausible reason that he would be omitted either. I view him as the 50/50, he has his merits, but some feel as though he replaced Mewtwo. This is utterly erroneous, but many interpret him as a "flavor of the month" Pokemon. His importance to X and Y is often under stated, it is there though. Sakurai does communicate with GameFreak, so he was entirely aware that he was going to be the prime example of a Mega Evolution in game. So he will be HIGHLY considered, Lucario and Mewtwo CAN co-exist. They might even give Mewtwo an over-haul at that was really the only reason he wasn't too popular in Melee. This would eliminate the very similar projectile moves that the two share.

Pokemon Trainer. This is where I get biased. I believe that Charizard can exist without the gimmicks of Pokemon Trainer. Sakurai has already cited that he believes a character roster of 39 is feasible. In this event, we might have to endure cuts to compensate for some newcomers. This is the obvious Pokemon cut in my opinion, he is well respected and loved, but it is in my personal opinion that this derives from Charizard anyways. This is one of the most relevant and important Pokemon, I would proclaim that it tops Mewtwo. So many believe that he is safe. It all comes down to logic though, cut 3 unique newcomers and piss of 3 fan-bases severely attenuating diversity in the cast, or cut Pokemon Trainer (replace with Charizard)?

Pichu even has an adequate chance if you ask me. He is a Smash veteran after all, and that counts for something. If he has extra time to pad the roster, we might get our troll character back. It isn't too likely, but there is still hope.

Zororark and Genesect are really the only other ideal candidates, unless Sakurai finally realizes that he skipped Meowth, the spiritual successor of Pikachu (inverted Pokedex numbers alluding to cat and mouse) and his rival in the popular anime series.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Sakurai has said that there are various legal hoops to jump through when securing Pokemon, so he might be having trouble with that. I never really thought about it before but I guess Game Freak basically tells him which Pokemon he can and can't put in the game?

Fortanono

Smash Ace
So, if Game Freak is keeping things secret with Pokémon, then maybe they're pulling the strings behind other stuff? Like, who is gonna be in the game? *cough*Masuda's favorite*cough*

Doppelgangofhomies

Smash Rookie
as far as pokemon reveals go, it's anyone's guess at this point in time; i mean we can all kinda agree that she'll be back, but the as for the rest i'm not even sure sakurai knows for sure which pokemon will appear as gamefreak likes to be difficult for some reason

so for now,

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Isn't Game Freak considered 2nd party? That might have an effect on their cooperation with Sakurai.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Nobody seems to wonder that maybe Sakurai will do a reveal for a returning or new Pokemon when the 3rd installment of X/Y gets announced, which should be soon, considering a new core Pokemon game gets released every year.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really want to see Pokemon newcomers from the 5th gen and 6th gen games...

Pokemon Trainer Gold with 2nd gen starters from HeartGold/SoulSilver
Zoroark from Black/White and Black 2/White 2
Mewtwo from X & Y
Pokemon Trainer May with 3rd gen starters from the hypothetical Ruby/Sapphire remakes

...or even surprise us with something unlikely but very unique such as Team Rocket (a team consisting of Meowth, Arbok, and Weezing)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I really want to see Pokemon newcomers from the 5th gen and 6th gen games...

Pokemon Trainer Gold with 2nd gen starters from HeartGold/SoulSilver
Zoroark from Black/White and Black 2/White 2
Mewtwo from X & Y
Pokemon Trainer May with 3rd gen starters from the hypothetical Ruby/Sapphire remakes

...or even surprise us with something unlikely but very unique such as Team Rocket (a team consisting of Meowth, Arbok, and Weezing)
Ok I can dig

Oh by the way mewtwo x = old mewtwo

Mewtwo Y = 2nd Mewtwo (the female version)

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
There's a lot of mention in here about Game Freak, but what about the Pokemon Company? They're the ones responsible for the entire franchise and according to Sakurai, it is them, not Game Freak, that they talk to regarding Pokemon inclusions. It's more likely that the Pokemon Company asked Sakurai not to reveal anything Pokemon related just yet than having anything to do with Game Freak, unless it's content from one of the main games, like a new stage.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Seems to me that the Pokemon Company are promoting Mewtwo and Blaziken lately... maybe we might get Mewtwo (with ability to Mega-evolve into X and Y forms) and the new Pokemon Trainer based on the 3rd gen games... May (default; Brendan, alternate) with Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken...

Damn it, I really want to know what's going on with the Pokemon Company...

Top Bottom