• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's that one condition you have upon playing online?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
We all have one term or condition we uphold upon playing online, whether it be with friends or with random strangers across the globe, even whether it makes one "salty" or not (though I don't like those terms at all, despite what the case might be). It can be something that's in the game or not you uphold strongly.

I'll put it out there (and not ashamed to) when I say you can one-up me with any character, even Jigglypuff (as demeaning as that might sound) however you cannot beat me with another Fox. My Fox I hold dear to my heart, you can use any character it doesn't bother me, just not Fox.

Be honest, nobody will judge you. At least I won't (winks).

1FC0

Smash Lord
I dislike scrubs who sandbag because they want to show "skill" by not doing "cheap" stuff even though most of that stuff is completely legit.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I taunt the **** out of scrubs! I 2-stock them by spamming Z-Drop Aerials and Gyro throws. I taunt after the first kill and 2 times I will knock them off stage and taunt before gimping or edge guarding them, and I celebrate my victory by raising the roof with repeated uptilts while they are losing their last stock.

After fighting my R.O.B. the next time that you will see him will be in your nightmares!

....Or at least it used to be like that before I was in banland. That is what I get for being awesome.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
I go online if I want a fun time-passer. I don't expect to win every time, but if it's too much work* to fight someone, I leave.

*Spam, lag, etc.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I tend to leave lobbies in For Fun when one player tries too hard to win the match. The most fun I have with online play is when the players are doing silly things like crouching, grabbing and doing nothing afterwards, taunting, SDing and other pointless stuff. I can't explain why but I love those matches. Now if everyone is trying to win and actually fighting, then I fight too and stay in the lobby.

Last edited:

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Don't lag. Beat me down, JV3 me ten times in a row, taunt, teabag, disrespect, upload to Youtube, fine. Just whatever you do, DON'T LAG!

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
For me it's mostly Lag. If I input something and it either takes a noticeable time to execute or fails to do so at all then I leave after the match.

Another one is in For Glory if I have a losing/winning streak going against the same person and I want to leave I refuse to do it if I do the opposite. I don't like to be known as one of those people who after one loss of 4 straight wins leaving or the opposite.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'll only taunt if my opponent does it first or is just a disrespectful asshat in the first place. Even if I 0-death someone or I'm up against a character that I really hate, I'll refrain from taunting unless my opponent disrespects me. Mostly because being the first to taunt in a match makes you look like an ass anyway (unless it's a friendly taunt at the start of the match), but losing after throwing out that first taunt makes you a total fraud (lookin at you, esam ;)). And that's just not something I'm willing to risk for ****s and giggles.
The power of the taunt is sacred. Reserve it only for those who ask for it. And that means you, too, Falcon mains.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I'll only taunt if my opponent does it first or is just a disrespectful ****** in the first place. Even if I 0-death someone or I'm up against a character that I really hate, I'll refrain from taunting unless my opponent disrespects me. Mostly because being the first to taunt in a match makes you look like an *** anyway (unless it's a friendly taunt at the start of the match), but losing after throwing out that first taunt makes you a total fraud. And that's just not something I'm willing to risk for ****s and giggles.
The power of the taunt is sacred. Reserve it only for those who ask for it. And that means you, too, Falcon mains.
I don't taunt much, if at all actually.

Once I heard "Here I come" (as if Fox wanted to play hide and seek), I was like "no, just no." The only one worse than that I can think of is "Sonic Speed." At least Falco has that hacky-sack thing he does.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't taunt much, if at all actually.

Once I heard "Here I come" (as if Fox wanted to play hide and seek), I was like "no, just no." The only one worse than that I can think of is "Sonic Speed." At least Falco has that hacky-sack thing he does.
Yeah, I've been there. It certainly doesn't help when your main doesn't really have any good taunts to use :laugh:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I'll only taunt if my opponent does it first or is just a disrespectful ****** in the first place. Even if I 0-death someone or I'm up against a character that I really hate, I'll refrain from taunting unless my opponent disrespects me. Mostly because being the first to taunt in a match makes you look like an *** anyway (unless it's a friendly taunt at the start of the match), but losing after throwing out that first taunt makes you a total fraud. And that's just not something I'm willing to risk for ****s and giggles.
But Falcon Punch to Down Taunt is a true combo.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
I only taunt when something goofy happens to show that It was a weird occurrence of pure circumstance.
I don't normally consider that this seems mocking, from my perspective it's me saying, "Oh Golly, I'm surprised that happened too!"
I try to get a lot of sleep before playing ever just due to the frustration that comes with fighting games but sometimes people on FG (and netplay for my other games) have a point to prove in rudeness. I need to get in the habit of packing my pride up and leaving but I'm not in the habit.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
In a round of tourney I do not taunt unless my opponent does it first. If they kill off my first stock and taunt, even when I get around to killing off their first stock, I still do not taunt. Only when I win the entire thing and they get that star KO death, I'll wait a few seconds, as if I wasn't going to taunt, then taunt at the very end. I don't know I guess the taunt just feels more satisfying to me that way lol.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
My goal is to kill with the absolute stupidest plans/strategies that I could never pull off in a competitive scene. For example, I won a match and only used lemons, and only via falcon punch and down taunt (the truest of combos). I don't actually try, and that's what makes online fun for me.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
This is actually tricky for me to answer as I have different conditions/attitudes for certain situations; however the most important is:

As long as you are respectful, I will be as well. I do my best to be 100% nice to anyone and everyone I face. I do not care if you lag nor if you use the same character as me (hey, there's no rule forbidding them from doing so). All that matters to me is respect.

I never taunt at the start of the match because not everyone has this habit, but if I see someone else taunt/salute at the start I'll return the favor. If someone gives out an "Good Game" I will return the favor as well. If I come across a laggy player, yet they are respectful to me and overall fun (despite the lag anyways) I will even stay. Not everyone can control their lag after all.

Games are meant to be enjoyed, so please make sure they stay that way. If you try to rip said enjoyment out of it then I guess I no longer have to play nice. Taunt after every kill and I will make sure to do it as well. Start tea-bagging whenever and wherever then you can bet I'm gonna do it just as much to you. No respect for me means no respect for you either, plain and simple.

Don't you dare get salty if you cannot handle your own medicine!

Point is, simply be kind to your fellow Smashers and you're bound to receive the same kindness in full. If you try to be cocky just because you think you're the greatest player ever or just want to ruin it for others, then expect others to sling the salt right back.

Last edited:

Saucen

Bruh
NNID
FangMaGuoLai
I can't play with lag. The Sm4sh netcode is awful so if there's lag I'll just kill myself twice and move on to someone else.

I really wish they'd let us do for glory rules 1v1 with a list of hosted rooms to join where you can see your connection to that person.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
This is actually tricky for me to answer as I have different conditions/attitudes for certain situations; however the most important is:

As long as you are respectful, I will be as well. I do my best to be 100% nice to anyone and everyone I face. I do not care if you lag nor if you use the same character as me (hey, there's no rule forbidding them from doing so). All that matters to me is respect.

I never taunt at the start of the match because not everyone has this habit, but if I see someone else taunt/salute at the start I'll return the favor. If someone gives out an "Good Game" I will return the favor as well. If I come across a laggy player, yet they are respectful to me and overall fun (despite the lag anyways) I will even stay. Not everyone can control their lag after all.

Games are meant to be enjoyed, so please make sure they stay that way. If you try to rip said enjoyment out of it then I guess I no longer have to play nice. Taunt after every kill and I will make sure to do it as well. Start tea-bagging whenever and wherever then you can bet I'm gonna do it just as much to you. No respect for me means no respect for you either, plain and simple.

Don't you dare get salty if you cannot handle your own medicine!

Point is, simply be kind to your fellow Smashers and you're bound to receive the same kindness in full. If you try to be cocky just because you think you're the greatest player ever or just want to ruin it for others, then expect others to sling the salt right back.
You have good points, but I find lag difficult to excuse. Not that its excusable, but more times than not, it can be easily managed. If you live in Zimbabwe or on the Fuji Islands, you might wanna check your connection. When the match is continuously buffering, that's hard to accept (in other words, turning a 2-minute match into a 5 minute match means someones connection is having serious issues, and should just disconnect for the sake of the match).

Its cool you can let someone who uses your main (in this case, I'm guessing King Dedede or Kirby) beat you. I like Fox on a personal level myself so that's why I have that condition another Fox cannot take the crown. That's usually the only condition in which I disconnect voluntarily (or than lag being so bad, I'm better off cutting the hand off to save the arm).

I often put in "Good Game" myself or "GG" (although that can be misinterpreted as the more immature saying. Ya'll know what I'm referring to I'm sure) if I have the time to mess with the handle without keeping people waiting.

Don't kill my Fox with another Fox and I'm fine, that's it. Use Falco if you want to use a Star Fox character, or Wolf (if he becomes DLC). As a side note, I rather use the terms "mad" or "tantrum" over "salty".

KirbCider

Smash Ace
You have good points, but I find lag difficult to excuse. Not that its excusable, but more times than not, it can be easily managed.
The main reason I never hold lag against anyone is because sometimes they can literally have no control over it.

You don't know who your opponent is nor their living conditions. There's some people who may not be able to afford excellent internet for whatever reason. In fact, there's plenty of Sm4sh players who are still in School (Highschool or even at College). There's some who may still live at home and therefore do not pay the bills. They have no say in what kind of services their parents pay for.

As for any Sm4shers in college and perhaps living in the dorms they have no choice but to use the dorms internet usually, unless they pay for their own service right out of their own pockets. Dorms can either have really awesome internet, or down right horrific internet. I've been to college and lived in the dorms there, and I can tell you there were a lot of days where it was complete garbage.

And perhaps they know their connection is terrible, yet still want to try and enjoy some matches. Does that mean they should avoid online play altogether and never be able to play against other people because of it? That doesn't seem right.
Its cool you can let someone who uses your main (in this case, I'm guessing King Dedede or Kirby) beat you. I like Fox on a personal level myself so that's why I have that condition another Fox cannot take the crown. That's usually the only condition in which I disconnect voluntarily.
I actually have several mains who happen to be :4kirby::4dedede::4rob::4pacman::4zelda: and actively learning :4villager: currently.

I have no issues with someone dittoing me or using one of my mains because I can actually learn something from them. For example I once met another King Dedede player on For Glory that totally roasted me big time; however I learned a lot of new things from him. I learned a lot of new combos and tricks that King Dedede could pull off that match that I had no idea about.

Losing to someone that plays your own main should never be a bad thing (unless they did it to flat out disrespect you).

Last edited:

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
I can't say I really have a condition when playing online.

Well, I'm actually a little merciless in For Fun/For Glory, and I'm usually that guy that hits players who start crouching or taunt continuously to show their friendliness. I play this game to beat the crap out of people, not to hug and make kissy faces. I'm not being a jerk, I'm just exterminating the weak.
:charizard:

Though, I do have honor. I won't hit players out of their first taunt if I have the chance, but if they taunt a second time in the same instance, I WILL chew their bones.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
While I don't doubt you can learn new tricks of the trade from your main beating beat by the same character, I find it can be helpful to learn how to act from someone who's using another character, get their perspective on my game, say for instance one of the top tiers, like Yoshi or Rosy. There are much higher chances I'll come in contact with either one of those characters than I will another Fox (in fact, I don't see a lot of Foxes, maybe its because he''s one of the hardest fighters to grab onto).

Getting feedback from people who use high tier characters (although I don't personally think Yoshi's high tier material myself, coming from once using Yoshi) I think will benefit me in the long run more than another Fox.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just have fun.

Although, if I ever find someone who downright disrespects me with their insults on their tag after losing, then on the next round I will taunt at you to the fullest extent of the law and then respond with either one of the following tags:
"YUMAD?"
"Dat_salt"
"Hmmm_salt"
"Loser_:p"

Let that be a lesson for those mother****ers out there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That I be a good sport, even whether I'm on a winning streak or getting absolutely bodied by somebody. There was this insane good ZSS I fought yesterday that two-stocked me three times in a row on FG, but I said "GG!" through the tags each time and he returned the favor. That was pretty nice.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
For me it's mainly lag. Considering most of the characters I play take more precision than others *COUGH* :4sheik:

I just find it extremely frustrating to play when your inputs are queued so slow that you could argue with :4lucina: that the future is written frame by frame.

As far as taunting goes, KirbCider has already said what needs to be said.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
Taunting some reason annoys me. Not the GG taunts in the beginning but the downright annoying little taunts at the end because they think they're hot stuff. Also leaving after one match is super annoying.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I don't go "tryhard" when playing online. I'll use my main, sure, but I always mix up and try different things. Sometimes I'll put myself into a bad situation on purpose to try to learn to recover from it better.

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
I typically play someone to a best of 3, but I'll leave after a match if there is any annoying lag. But most importantly, if I happen to win as Wario, the goal is to always get the perfect freeze frame of the waft as the announcer calls 'game' haha

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Lag: If it is to bad I quit... clearly our internets aren't working together and we should both find other players.

Skill level: I try to find players who are a bit better than me... but if I am getting slaughtered then I am likely to leave. There is a line between they are beating me and pushing me to get better... and they are beating me to the point where I can't do anything and am not getting better.

Match up: If I am learning a new character... I will look for match ups that aren't so one sided against me. Once I know my character, I will try to overcome it.

So yea... Basically I am looking for a game that facilitates my improving... so I want a player just a bit better than me, but someone just a bit worse I will keep playing. (Might even drill a secondary.) If that isn't happening then time to leave.

If my opponent is a jerk... name tag especially.. If I can beat them handedly or do something amazing against them... I may leave without giving them the chance for redemption that I would against someone else.

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Don't lag. Beat me down, JV3 me ten times in a row, taunt, teabag, disrespect, upload to Youtube, fine. Just whatever you do, DON'T LAG!
I'm sure people can just deactivate lag with the push of a button lmao. I get frustrated too but I honestly don't feel like I can get angry with a laggy player when the freaking matchmaking is random.

On Topic: I am NEVER going to interrupt your taunt and if I do by accident I will let you hit me once. I can take any kind of disrespect, I can take tea bagging, I can laugh almost everything off but interrupting a taunt it's SO NOT OKAY.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Have fun with others, and never try to disrespect/insult them if they're just plain bad.

If they taunt or insult me via nametag however, I go full troll and taunt whenever they mess up.

Last edited:

Reiza

Smash Rookie
Back when the brawl servers were up i remember leaving matches if i was pitted against meta knight when not using him myself
may the tier list guide our souls

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
If you spam Kirby's down-b and expect me to fall for it, I will stall you until the cows come home. I won't even give you the pleasure of fighting, I'll just keep holding the grab at a high percent until the timer runs out. You gotta stop that, man.

...unless I get hit by it. Then you get a free pass because I feel like a dummy.

Last edited:

AzulWolfSmash

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkyOkamiWolf
I do have some online conditions that even apply to other fighting games online.
#1 -
I don't like fighting opponents who lag at all. If you lag I will not fight you a second time.
#2- Please don't spam! Ok Smash is different when it comes to spam because you can easily escape it, not as annoying, and punish it. However, in other fighting games it's like it seems so effective and EVEN MORE annoying *cough* Naruto Storm games online *cough*
#3 - Don't troll me especially if I'm literally kicking your ***. However if I mess up BIG TIME (self-destruct in Sm4sh) I understand!
#4 - Please don't send me a hate message/tag. Ok this right here is what really prevents online from being enjoyable! Here I am having a good time online and then I get a hate message from a 12 year old saying "You suck" or "You're a scrub" or something and it's just so annoying. It's even worse if you end up beating them MULTIPLE times and they STILL want to call you a scrub -.- I mean ik it's the internet and people troll but it gets annoying sometimes. There are times when its funny or enjoyable when you KNOW you're good and you know they're just hating on you!
"If you got haters, you're doing something right!"
Not really sure who said that but I heard this quote before and it's so true!

great_navi

Smash Rookie
I taunt the **** out of scrubs! I 2-stock them by spamming Z-Drop Aerials and Gyro throws. I taunt after the first kill and 2 times I will knock them off stage and taunt before gimping or edge guarding them, and I celebrate my victory by raising the roof with repeated uptilts while they are losing their last stock.

After fighting my R.O.B. the next time that you will see him will be in your nightmares!

....Or at least it used to be like that before I was in banland. That is what I get for being awesome.

nooo its people like you who give FG and the smash bros community in general a bad name. I hate nothing more than trying to have fun playing online and im beaten by someone like you who just makes me go "...really?". Good for you for being better than other people but stay humble at the same time, damn.

Top Bottom